It’s official. Today the European Broadcasting Union confirmed that 41 countries will participate in the Eurovision Song Contest 2020. The full list was unveiled today on the official Eurovision website. The total of 41 is exactly the same number as those who competed in 2019.

Returning countries

Returning this year are Bulgaria and Ukraine. After initially confirming for Eurovision 2019, Bulgarian broadcaster BNT withdrew, citing financial difficulties. However, earlier this month the broadcaster delighted fans by confirming their return for 2020. Bulgaria will announce their act for Rotterdam later this month.

Ukraine was another country who had initially confirmed for Eurovision 2019 but later withdrew. The broadcaster chose to withdraw from Eurovision after the controversy surrounding national final winner Maruv refusing to sign the Eurovision agreement. But Ukraine is back for 2020, this time with new rules surrounding their national final.

Withdrawing countries

It’s always sad when a country withdraws from Eurovision. This year both Hungary and Montenegro won’t be heading to Rotterdam.

Hungary’s broadcaster MTVA will continue to hold its national song competition A Dal, but with no Eurovision connection. Montenegro’s broadcaster RTCG has not confirmed its reasons for leaving, but blogs have claimed it is for financial reasons. Both countries have previously withdrawn in the past and returned in later years.

Also not appearing on the list is Kosovo. Broadcaster RTK has long been eager to participate at Eurovision, however the broadcaster is not currently a member of the EBU.

Broadcasters from Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Luxembourg, Monaco, Morocco, Slovakia and Turkey have already confirmed that they will not return to Eurovision 2020. Liechtenstein’s broadcaster has still not applied for EBU membership. The EBU has also earlier confirmed that it had “no plans” to give Kazakhstan guest invitation.

Eurovision Song Contest 2020 — Confirmed countries

• Poland
  • Romania
  • San Marino
  • Slovenia
  • Sweden
  • Ukraine

What do you think? Are you happy with the 2020 lineup? Would you like to see more? Tell us your thoughts below!

Read more Eurovision 2020 news here

Darren
Darren

Genuinely gutted for Hungary over their withdrawal, they have brought some great entries since their 2011 return. Even their first NQ of the decade in 2019 was a great song.
I usually rank their entries high and was expecting them to win in a future edition. Hopefully they won’t stay away too long although it seems that their broadcaster is focusing on domestic programming right now.

Come back soon Hungary.

Surprised that the number is the same as last year, since the Netherlands is probably less controversial than Israel. But who cares? For the heck of it, I tried to see how I, personally, would split up the semis in the fairest way. Here’s what I got. SF1: 1. Australia ?? 2. Azerbaijan ?? 3. Cyprus ?? 4. Czech Republic ?? 5. Finland ?? 6. Israel ?? 7. Malta ?? 8. Poland ?? 9. Ukraine ?? 10. Albania ?? 11. Armenia ?? 12. Bulgaria ?? 13. Croatia ?? 14. Denmark ?? 15. Lithuania ?? 16. Romania ?? 17. Russia ??… Read more »

Reply to  Joe

(The little question marks were originally flag emojis)

Ana
Ana
Reply to  Joe

Where’s the surprise? No country withdrew last year because of anything related to Israel. Bulgaria and Ukraine didn’t participate because of their internal issues. Your surprise doesn’t make any sense.

Reply to  Ana

I’m surprised by your surprise at my surprise!

Isa
Isa
Reply to  Joe

I’m surprised by your surprise at Ana’s surprise at your surprise!! 🙂

ESCFan2009
ESCFan2009

It’s an interesting question how many countries would be good for Eurovision. Let’s say there would be 20 in SF1, 20 in SF2 and “the 6” (Big5 + host), that would be 46. Now, what if only 10 countries out of 20 qualify? Just 50%, would that be fair? Maybe then you could say, let’s take 12 out of 20 in the final. But then, the final would be 12+12+6= 30 countries. Would that be too much? 26 songs in a row are already difficult to choose from… 😀

Mehmet
Mehmet
Reply to  ESCFan2009

” 30 countries. Would that be too much? 26 songs in a row are already difficult to choose from”

Are you aware how disrespectful it is to say this when you are from a big5 country? Get used to 0 points.

Nicky91
Nicky91

boring, and i’d rather if Bulgaria stayed gone, the sweden 2.0

eurovision is getting less and less fun now

and why are san marino still taking part, wish they would withdraw as soon as possible too

Ukraine could withdraw last minute idk, depending wether there is drama or not

Toffeenix
Toffeenix

Okay y’all are overreacting to this. So Hungary are having a year off. Nothing we haven’t seen before, both from them (2010, for example) and from a few other countries (Portugal 2013 + 16, Bulgaria and Ukraine last year, Russia 2016) and all of a sudden everyone is acting like they’re not coming back. I know the government aren’t the most liberal – far from it- but that is not confirmation that they’re not coming back. Maybe we’ll see them in 2021. Maybe we’ll have to wait a few years. Maybe they’ll never come back. But let’s not pretend that… Read more »

An odd number means that one semi final will have one more competitor than the other (I think). This will throw the maths off, a little, I assume. Just in case anyone actually cares about the maths. 🙂

WannaEatMySpaghetti
WannaEatMySpaghetti
Reply to  Purple Mask

Yeah, I really hate when there are more contestants in 1 semi than the other. Tbh, if I had to choose between 41 or 40 countries, I would say 40. Just to make sure that the competition is “fair” on this point.

Susane
Susane

Ukraine and Bulgaria both very interesting (never boring) Eurovision countries, hope they will bring some cool entries to Rotterdam, they been missed.
Hungary is one of my fav, im crying…

Dawid
Dawid
Reply to  Susane

Jamala with song “Unconfortable question” would win the internet

Azaad
Azaad

Montenegro I’m not that worried about- let’s be real, they weren’t the best performing country in the contest in terms of either songs or results and time off could allow them to recharge. Besides, their reasons are clearly financial and unlike Bosnia and Herzegovina their financial problems seem to be short term in scope so they’ll have their monetary situation sorted out fairly soon, and so should return quite promptly. Cyprus and Serbia both withdrew for one year after financial difficulties in Copenhagen and returned the next, and the former has had a respectable 5 year qualification streak with their… Read more »

Reply to  Azaad

It’s sad and I also think it might take some time till they return.

Gorilla716
Gorilla716
Reply to  Azaad

Poland and Russia both have similarly conservative and nationalist governments like Hungary and yet they still participate in Eurovision. Besides, if it really was about politics, pretty much every single Eastern European country would withdraw based on your argument regarding Hungary.

Tasha
Tasha

ok, im glad we are back and that our dear neighbor Bulgaria is back too is amazing , but loosing other neighbor Hungary and one of the coolest Eurovision country is very very sad news…damn !

Guy
Guy
Reply to  Tasha

Um… Geography problems, or what? Cause you say you’re glad “you’re back”, so I’m assuming you’re Ukrainian, but uh… Bulgaria aren’t technically your neighbors then

BlackKava
BlackKava
Reply to  Guy

Well they are neighbors as Black Sea countries lol

Like I said, if this is a one year gap, in which Hungary work on fixing their selection process, then I’m all for it.

Maya G
Maya G

Ukraine is undoubtedly a Eurovision powerhouse and I’m looking forward to seeing what they’ll bring to Rotterdam, though I must admit I kinda wish that UA:PBC’s blatant politicization of the contest somehow blows up in their face.
Hungary is possibly my favorite ESC country of the last decade and I’ll really miss them.

An American ESC Fan
An American ESC Fan

I’m pretty sad about Hungary. I mean, with the exception of 2015, all their songs from 2013 onwards have been ranked in my Top 15, and most of those (all except ’16 and ’19) were also in my top 10. I have always thought they were underrated and will greatly miss them next year. I’m less upset over Montenegro, but I think they’ve done okay these last few years, especially the 2013-15 streak. I think a year off will do wonders for them. That aside, I’m really happy Ukraine and Bulgaria are back. I think both will do well this… Read more »

Rasmus
Rasmus

I dont get that people want Kazaksntan and Kosovo in. They are competing in Turkvision so they are happy there. We dont need them here then. 40 countries here are just right. Its not fun if there are 153 countries and 10% chance to qualify.

Reply to  Rasmus

Yeah, imagine Nauru winning, such a logistical nightmare ^^

Yeah, but at least now we have Slovenia and Albania joining the club.

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Jo.

And Portugal of course !

DDRaven
DDRaven
Reply to  Mr X

yeah, Portugal and their great results. 1 top 5 in over 50 attempts and now a last place and a non qualification in a row(soon to be 2 non quals). Our heroes…

Reply to  Mr X

Portugal isn’t really doing great.

Ana
Ana
Reply to  Mr X

Portugal was horrible this year. I really couldn’t understand not only how people like it but how they can make it to the end of the song. I found everything about it just unwatchable and unhearble. It’s like they tried hard not to do well but in an artistic way

Dawidek
Dawidek

Kazakhstan and Kosovo should never take part in this contest ! No place for countries in which being gay is a crime !

Ari
Ari
Reply to  Dawidek

Being gay in Kosovo is a crime? Since when, enlighten me please.

Dawidek
Dawidek
Reply to  Ari

Youre probably from there … im sad for you…

Mehmet
Mehmet

How is it possible to lose a Central European country like Hungary, because of political regime? What is happening in Europe?

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  Mehmet

I think you have to read more before you say a thing like that.

Torn
Torn

Really Hungary? You didn’t qualify ONCE after 2009, and you decide to withdrew?

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Torn

I think there are still another reasons for Hungary´s decision too, not only the politic situation.

I give you two examples for non-democratic countries which are very able to participate at ESC: How about Russia und Azerbaijan ?

sexta-feira yeah
sexta-feira yeah
Reply to  Torn

what? They qualified to the final in 2018!

esc1234
esc1234

People havent realised that we lost Hungary for good.they wont come back, same story with Turkey. Its sad cause they produced great entries….

Tusán
Reply to  esc1234

5 Gs, please… Good God, Get a Grip Girl…

Gigii
Gigii

Guys is it possible that maybe Montenegro could still participate because the broadcaster still didn’t put out any news or info about esc participation… Maybe the EBU gave RTCG some extra time?

Nikki
Nikki

I’m gonna miss Hungary. I always liked what they sent and they had been on my Top 5 more than once. I hope they’re back next year.

And allow me a joke- Is Montenegro withdrawing because they couldn’t find a men interested on it? I mean…you know Montenegro’s gender statistics.

Toffeenix
Toffeenix
Reply to  Nikki

I actually didn’t know Montenegro’s gender statistics but now that I think about it… wow, yeah, that’s a good point.

Enough
Enough

Kazakhstan is a country in CENTRAL ASIA. Let’s just invite the whole world to Eurovision then!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul
Paul
Reply to  Enough

Mate Russia covers the whole of Asia!

ADd
ADd
Reply to  Paul

Not to mention that the whole of Israel, Georgia, Armenia and Azerbaijan are in Asia too. Unless 100% of maps are wrong, Australia is IN A DIFFERENT HEMISPHERE.

Magpie
Magpie
Reply to  Enough

There is a part of Kazakhstan that is in Europe you know.

LFink
LFink
Reply to  Enough

Israel and Armenia are in Asia, Australia is in Oceania, and Monaco, even though they participated only once, is in Africa. The point is, that if we let those countries compete, we should at least let Kazakhstan be a participating country

lola
lola
Reply to  LFink

What’s next then? Mongolia? This is getting ridiculous…

Nicolas
Nicolas
Reply to  lola

Kazakhstan in Eurovision would be more legit than Australia.

RHez
RHez
Reply to  LFink

I think you mean Morocco? Monaco is in Southern France.

Toffeenix
Toffeenix
Reply to  RHez

Saying that Monaco is in France is like saying that San Marino is in Italy. Monaco is south of France, but not in Southern France.

LFink
LFink
Reply to  RHez

Yep. I meant Morocco. Whoops.

Alors
Alors
Reply to  LFink

Lol whut? Monaco in Africa??? that’s like saying France is in Africa too (well the metropolitan, not their overseas territories).

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  LFink

I hope you mean Morocco instead of Monaco….

Nikita
Nikita
Reply to  Enough

Eurovision’s about inclusivity though. I don’t understand why is it a problem to let countries that have connections with Europe to join in?! 20% of Kazakhstan’s territory is in Europe btw, but countries like Israel, Armenia are fully Middle Eastern.

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  Nikita

do you want 28 countries in a semi then like in 2007? More is NOT better. Its totally unfair. 40 is enough.

Toffeenix
Toffeenix
Reply to  Rasmus

I don’t disagree with your general point that “more is not better” but bringing up the 2007 semi-final looks pretty stupid.

Thunder and lightning it's getting exciting
Thunder and lightning it's getting exciting

Ukraine is my favourite country.

Thunder and lightning it's getting exciting
Thunder and lightning it's getting exciting

I’m really happy to see Ukraine back!!! 🙂

Robert
Robert

4 some reason I feel Luxembourg is gonna join in as a surprise…

Carina
Carina
Reply to  Robert

Or perhaps as an interval act? I sincerely hope so, tho.

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
Reply to  Robert

It won’t, let’s be real.

Nicky91
Nicky91
Reply to  Skiwalko

of course luxembourg won’t come back, eurovision is dead now, hasn’t got the life it had in their glory decades 60’s 70’s 80’s

Dawid
Dawid

So what’s up with semi finals now?

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Dawid

17 in one, 18 in the other (17+18=35, 35+6=41)

Hungary: OMG we failed to qualify we’re leaving you guys

The Netherlands who failed to qualify 9 times: Shame

Tbh I would chose Ukraine and Bulgaria over Hungary and Montenegro any day. Montenegro and Hungary always mess up their decisions for what to send and are often low in my tops so not too bothered

Tusán
Reply to  Alex

Fair enough, although it’s not a question of this or that. All countries have the potential to send good songs and both Hungary and Montenegro have sent authentic songs in the past. Let’s not create tension.

WannaEatMySpaghetti
WannaEatMySpaghetti

Arf, I don’t like when both semi finals don’t have the same number of entries.
Feel sad for the countries that withdrew but I think it won’t be for a long time.

NickC
NickC

I prefer that they make it an even number by inviting Kazakhstan

Skiwalko
Skiwalko

Let’s look at that this way: 50 years ago, in 1970 the number was 12. I’m really happy with those 29 more countries. I don’t think Hungary and Montenegro are going away for too long, it’s more like a one-year break to rethink some stuff, just like Bulgaria has this year – to notice what was wrong and come back stronger than ever, instead of getting into debt or losing more watchers. I’m really looking forward to next year, I think it’s gonna be the best edition in a long time and that in 2021 we’ll be going for a… Read more »

Nikki
Nikki
Reply to  Skiwalko

And finally, it will be host in Rome 😛

1970 is a bad example, because in 1969 there were 16 contestants, and in 1971 there were 18 contests – six more than the previous year – it does demonstrate how the numbers vary from year to year, though, and not to read into any one single year.

Minaa
Minaa

It’s always sad to see some countries withdraw. Montenegro withdrawing for financial reasons but why Hungary? Is it political reasons that effects the country or they just missed the final after their 8 consecutive qualifications? I want an answer 🙁

Tusán
Reply to  Minaa

Honestly, it could be both. It’s either a political decision (much like Turkey’s) or they just got as pissed as in 2010 when we withdrew after two consecutive NQs. I think it’s the latter and I hope we will return in 2021.

Minaa
Minaa
Reply to  Tusán

It sounds reasonable. I hope Hungary won’t follow Turkey’s footsteps despite the political situation in Hungary. I really hope they will come back stronger in 2021 (if that happens). 🙁

John

I feel like this is a big loss for non-English Eurovision entries, especially Hungary. ??

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  John

I hope that it will not….

Rumours says that Greece this time will send an entry in the national language….

Nicky91
Nicky91
Reply to  Mr X

and NQ then since no one cares about greek language in eurovision LOL

Africavision
Africavision

At this point in time, I am just praying that it remains as 41, and we don’t have another Ukraine 2019, Russia 2017, or Romania 2016 moment, where a nation withdraws late in the game. 41 is better than <40… So 41, I'll take it!

Ani
Ani
Reply to  Africavision

Thankfully I don’t think that will happen again. Ukraine have put new measures in to ensure that the same thing won’t happen again

balintf1
balintf1

I am so sad that my country, Hungary will not be there, but we knew it in the past few years. It is a clear political decision as our government tries to ensure its supremacy over the public broadcaster. It is a real control of the freedom of speech, but nothing new since 2010. And to be honest, there is no chance to return till they are in charge. Yes, I know the basic rules of Eurovision and of this site, that we should ignore politics. But you all have to know the real situation in Hungary, and more worse… Read more »

Maya G
Maya G
Reply to  balintf1

Your country is possibly my favorite ESC country of the last decade, you’ll be dearly missed.
I know about what goes on in Hungary and I wish for you and your beautiful country to banish darkness and hatred and restore light and freedom. It’s always darkest before the dawn, keep the faith.

Reply to  balintf1

As someone with progressive views living in a country that’s possibly going through a similar process, I can relate a lot to your message. Sure, we all want Hungary back to Eurovision, it’s a country that usually delivers quality entries and a good diversity of genres. But there’s something much more important at stake right now and I hope your country will leave these dark times behind. And also come back to contest, of course. Stay strong. 🙂

PP77
PP77

No Kazakhstan, Kosovo in Eurovision. Also no more eby baby Australia from 2023

Ani
Ani
Reply to  PP77

Australia will have their agreement renewed in 2023

Karen
Karen
Reply to  PP77

Australia brings professionalism, quality and fun to the contest, Kazhakstan os only pushed by Russia to ensure another 12 points for them.

Aris Odi
Aris Odi

Why don’t they just finally allow Kazakhstan to debut? It’s not fair.

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  Aris Odi

Why cant kazakstant compete in Turkvision? They have junior ESC and Turkvision. its enough

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina

hope both will be back in 2021 with no one else pulling out. they should invite kazakhstan at this point

Yes, yes and yes.

Gigii
Gigii

I hate our broadcaster… A country as small as San Marino can manage to participate yet my country (Montenegro) or even some bigger ones like Hungary and Slovakia can’t…

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  Gigii

right, montenegro could do what san marino does n get someone to sponsor their own participation without the broadcaster having to sustain costs

Gigii
Gigii

Yeah really we could do that but our broadcoaster is just plain lazy and dumb..

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Gigii

Slovak broadcaster don’t like ESC 🙁

Ani
Ani

We gained two stronger countries than the two we lost. It’s a stronger 41 compared to last years! I still dont get why they dont invite kazakhstan to eurovision when they are so eager to take part.

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  Ani

True that! Still sad about HUN and MNE, but still, better than nothing..

Rasmus
Rasmus
Reply to  Ani

Kazakstand have Turkvision. They should be happy with that

Nicky91
Nicky91
Reply to  Ani

this ain’t a strong contest, gonna be most boring contest ever

kazakhstan aren’t friends with EBU, unlike australia

Roelof Meesters
Roelof Meesters

Look, I can see why Montenegro is withdrawing, but there is NO reason at all for Hungarys withdrawal other than the government doesn’t like Eurovision because it doesn’t promote “standard family values”, which is a stupid reason to withdraw. I hope that these countries return soon and whilst I have the feeling that Montenegro might return soon (even in 2020, I have my hopes), I do think that Hungary will be gone for a long time which is quite sad. I also hope the EBU will finally invite Kazakhstan to the competition.

Lloyd
Lloyd

It does feel like Hungary have withdrawn because they failed to qualify last year. But it happens. Just seems like the toys are being thrown out of the pram a bit. Hopefully it’s not a long time before they come back and rejig their selection process, whether its A Dal, internal or a different national final.

Erasmus
Erasmus

Again I do not think it’s that Hungary is still a country in EU, and ESC fits their “agenda” way more than it does to the likes of Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Albania, Armenia and so on..

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina

if the likes of russia, belarus n the three caucasian sisters can tolerate the “unconventional family values” promoted at eurovision, i don’t see why hungary wouldn’t. they’re just petty bout their non-qualification

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl

That’s the impression I got too, but to be fair, Hungary did enjoy a long streak of qualifications, and failing to qualify for the first time in a decade (2009 was the last) can feel like a shock. We’ll have to see if this is a one-time withdrawal or it goes the way of countries like Turkey.

Lloyd
Lloyd
Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

I think it’s a shock more because they qualified with weaker songs, 2012 and 2015 in particular. But I dont think many were really shocked this year. Just shows that to do well in eurovision, the country does need to put effort in. And that’s not just for Hungary, but a few other countries too.

Thanos
Thanos

So sad about Hungary, my second favourite Eurovision country after Italy! And Montenegro as far as I am concerned is decent. Hope to see you both soon!

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean

Ah well, 41 is not bad. Plus, not a lot of countries are able to stay away from Eurovision for too long. Almost all of them come back eventually. The last voting I was totally happy with was … well… never, and I still come back every year.

Never forget 2013. Kedvesem and Igranka.
Hungary and Montenegro gave us the best of the best that year.

Andrew
Andrew

Being Irish I really wished Ireland would withdraw this year 🙁
I think RTÉ need a year to sort things out and come back stronger, because what we are doing now is not near good enough. We need a national final again. We did better when the public chose our entry. I still hope for the best in 2020; but I don’t have much faith.

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  Andrew

You just need to pick the right songwriters and the the right artist. LYRA would be amazing and she’s not too famous so she could use ESC promotion in a good way!

Ani
Ani
Reply to  Andrew

girl bye.We dont need a weak eurosong on the late late again. The songs from eurosong were awful

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
Reply to  Andrew

Well, apparently they are trying to change some things, together with 2FM Rising they’ve even prepared an elaborate plan to choose the artist so if everything works out, I think Ireland can be fairly optimistic about 2020. And looking back at the past Irish NFs they weren’t all that successful – yeah, Jedward did well, but I wouldn’t call a format that during the course of 7 years gave the country 3 NQs and 3 bottom 5 finishes a working one.

Andrew
Andrew
Reply to  Skiwalko

Yeah I know, but just with what Sarah cane up with last year I think I’m just pissed with RTÉ, cause I get so frustrated seeing Ireland being so low again and again. And oh my days I definitely do not mean bring back Eurosong, that was terrible but I’d like to see a completely new national final. Cause RTÉ are well able for it.

Africavision
Africavision
Reply to  Andrew

I agree with what you are saying. However, instead of a complete withdrawal, how about RTÉ takes the one-year break, but gives TG4 the opportunity to take the nation’s Eurovision reigns for the year. TG4 is doing a great job at Junior Eurovision, in my opinion, so I think it would be very interesting to see what they could do at the adult Eurovision. (P. S. I hope Irish Eurofans, like you, get something to cheer about at this upcoming Junior Eurovision, because your entry is beyond amazing… It literally brings me to tears every time I hear it!).

Andrew
Andrew
Reply to  Africavision

Yes I completely agree. Thank you, I’m so hopeful for Anna and I think she’s will do well and I think that it would be a great idea for TG4 to take over Eurovision for Ireland every 2nd year.

Maya G
Maya G
Reply to  Andrew

I thought the same after my country (Israel) failed to qualify in 2014 for the fourth time in a row. Being a fan favorite before the contest only to finish second from last in the semi was very disappointing and I too was very pessimistic about my country’s prospects. It seemed to me that one year away would be an opportunity to think things out and gather momentum for the following year. In the end it turned out they were able to get their sh!t together without withdrawing – 2015 started what could be described as an Israeli ESC renaissance.… Read more »

Dani
Dani

Hungary didn’t even bother to make an announcement. I’m sure we won’t seem them for a long time. :/

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Dani

You think Hungary will go the way of Turkey, Bosnia and Herzogovina and other countries who no longer participate? I mean, on one hand, it does seem suspicious to quit a year of eurovision after just one non-qualification after a long string of qualifications (2009 was Hungary’s last failure before this year, they also withdrew in 2010, funny how history repeats). Also, Hungary came 12th, which isn’t that bad for a non-qualifier (at least it’s not last). So I don’t know. It just seems like an extreme reaction to one failure. We’ll have to see if they want to return… Read more »

Nikita
Nikita
Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

The thing is that even Bosnia & Herzegovina every year makes announcement that they can’t join due to their debts to EBU. It’s only Turkish broadcaster that completely ignores it (or trash talks) and Hungary did the same this year as if ESC is over or something.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Nikita

Perhaps I could included more of the non-participants, but those were at the top of my head. Yeah, until their debt situation is sorted out, Bosnia is not coming back for a while. I guess Turkey was more what I had in mind of how Hungary might go.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl

Well, that’s the breaks. 41 countries will go to Rotterdam in 2020. Sad news about Hungary and Montenegro withdrawing, but that’s how it goes sometimes. I hope they can take the year off as an opportunity to recharge for 2021.