The Wiwi Jury — our in-house panel of music unprofessionals — continues to rate and review the 41 songs that had been selected for Eurovision 2020. Next up, we take a look at Switzerland‘s internally selected act Gjon’s Tears and his song “Répondez-moi”. What was our answer to him? Read on to find out!

Gjon’s Tears with “Répondez-moi”

“Répondez-moi”

Antranig: This is hauntingly beautiful. It has the timeless quality of a song like “1944” — the meaning will not be lost a hundred years from now. It’s not my favourite song personally but I have a deep appreciation for the musical quality here. Sadly we will never know how the songs of Eurovision 2020 will look on the Eurovision stage but assuming Gjon’s Tears would have been able to recreate this live, I would have put my money on this winning Eurovision 2020.

Score: 7.5

Esma: Douze points pour la Suisse! Switzerland has chosen a piece of subtle and stunning art by selecting Gjon for Eurovision. “Répondez-moi” is a mystical and deep song that has been under my skin since the day it’s been released. The song is an impeccable combination of string instruments, choirs and Gjon’s flawless vocals which take my breath away every time I listen to this masterpiece. Gjon’s talent is able to touch people their souls by means of his music – something only a great artist is capable of.

Score: 10

Renske: Gjon’s Tears’ entry “Respondez-moi” is a song that makes you sit on the edge of your chair. Everything just works for Gjon in this one. His voice fits with the lyrics and his lyrics fit with his personality. It is a rare occurrence when this happens to an artist, but it shows that he is very mature in his art and knows that what he is capable of.

Score: 9.5

Sebastian: “Répondez-moi” is a bit of an enigma for me. I understand the appeal of Gjon’s Tears’ song to the wider audience. For some reason, I can’t answer his call. For those who describe it as melodic, I describe it as monotonous. For those who describe it as emotive, I would describe it as calculated. It’s Eurovision-by-the-numbers, which rarely appeals in ballad form. I commend Gjon’s vocal ability, as he clearly is a talent.

Score: 4

William: At times “Répondez-moi” sounds like a prayer — it’s deeply personal and at times you almost feel uncomfortable listening. But naturally, you do, drawn in by Gjon’s visceral delivery and pure vocals. The song progresses in so many ways — melodically and emotionally. It all builds to that note — as if heaven is answering his prayer. Surely this would have been a contender to win it all.

Score: 8

Gjon’s Tears with “Répondez-moi” rankings

In the Wiwi Jury we have 22 jurors but only have room for five reviews. The remaining scores are below:

Angus: 8.5

Oliver: 10

Pablo: 9.5

Robyn: 8

Ron: 6.5

Tobias: 9.5

Tom: 8.5

We have removed the highest and lowest scores prior to calculating the average. This is to remove outliers and potential bias. We have removed a low of 4 and a high of 10.

Wiwi Jury verdict: 7.95/10

What do you think of this song? Share your own score and review below!

See all our Eurovision 2020 reviews and rankings

Josh Sterling
Josh Sterling

I will give a 10/10 for this(it’s my 2nd)

Patrick
Patrick

Can someone explain me why the average score on this page is higher than the one on the YouTube video? I don’t get it?

JDS
JDS

This could have been the winner I think. After 32 years, the Swiss would have finally snatched win no 3.

I wonder if the Swiss are now achieving a Netherlands-style Eurovision turnaround, after years of mediocre entires and results (just like the Dutch until 2013), they seem to have understood what works in Eurovision these days.

Andreas
Andreas

Not very impressed by the studio cut, but the acoustic version (which doesn’t sound edited, if it is edited it’s very well disguised) blew me away. Gjon brings so much emotion to this song, which got lost in the studio version. Would have loved to see it on the Eurovision stage.

Polegend Godgarina

yeah, this is hella overrated, and i’m glad sebastian voiced his opinion i fully agree with. i don’t really get any emotions from this, it’s rather monotonous for the first two minutes, and the screams he does in the last chorus sound like they’re the result of some form of medieval torture. i…don’t think this would’ve sounded well live either. oh well, he’s gonna have a different song next year anyway.

I suppose one either feels something profound for this song, or feels nothing at all. Musical Marmite, perhaps?

sav001

We have already heard him live and the song sounds amazing.

Ashton
Ashton

I seriously don’t agree but ok

sav001

With a 7.95, my guess is Switzerland likely won the wiwi jury vote. Only Lithuania could overtake it.

Reply to  sav001

Already failed.

Reply to  Kosey

What do you mean?

Rosie
Rosie
Reply to  sav001

Lithuania got 0.1 lower. The Roop are behind Gjon and Ulrikke.

Stephanie
Stephanie

That score is way too high!!! Don’t get me wrong. It’s not that I hate the song, it’s just I don’t know if I like it. And there are a few songs that got a lower score than this one who are actually better. But it is unique I have to admit that…

Reverb
Reverb
Reply to  Stephanie

actually better according to your universal criteria of objectivity most probably. The Stephanie scale of objectively appreciating ESC songs! Snap out of it Steph.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Reply to  Reverb

Wow never heard of freedom of speech. Every person is in titled to their own opinion!!! Deal with it.. My God!!!

mark dowd
mark dowd

Knocks the spots off Bulgaria’s offering, because it has soul, authenticity and “goose-bumpery”…..such a shame we will never see if it could have won. This will always be, for me, the “winning non-winner.”

Richard
Richard

Perhaps it’s my age but I’m increasingly drawn to well crafted songs and great singers, and this ticks those boxes. It’s really beautiful, sung with such conviction by such a sweet faced singer. Adorable. My 2020 winner.

This was in my top three and is my accepted “winner” (if you can understand what I mean). My only worry when I first listened to it, was how close he was going to get to it live (I listened to him on the voice and he wasn’t that strong there) but through these home performances, he showed that he could get deliver it to a pretty good standard. It is obviously one of the most challenging songs to sing this year and it is really haunting. With the right staging, this would’ve Jamala’d it, and been completely captivating. Unless… Read more »

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Briekimchi

I completely understand what you mean by “accepted winner”, I also saw this as the most likely winner, even though it isn’t my personal favourite.
And which one of his “Voice” performances did you watch? The one I saw was “SOS d’un terrien en détresse”, which is a pretty impossible song to sing, Even it’s original singer Daniel Balavoine couldn’t do it properly. 😉

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Briekimchi

Yes it has that “accepted winner” vibe which lowkey irritates me, same with previous winners, lol

Reply to  Mia

I definitely get a superiority complex with certain fans of this song. Like this is objectively the technically best and most stirring, profound song in the contest and by definition, if you don’t think it’s the best then you either don’t understand emotions or have no musical taste – I like the song, but I would prefer not to have to stomach some of the views of some of its fans.

Mia
Mia
Reply to  Kosey

Agree , Kosey, you put it nicely.

Daly's Tears
Daly's Tears

10/10 This masterpiece is my winner without any doubt!! I’m sure it could have won! Since the first time we listen to this song we can feel the genuine emotions and sincerity that not only the really well produced and atmospheric instrumental brings, but also Gjon’s Unique and Magnific voice! And The lyrics are simple, but so deep and touching at same time! You can even not like it, but have to respect Rèpondez-moi as the beautiful song it is and Gjon as this amazing true artist!

Sam
Sam

This song confirms the turning point by the Swiss broadcaster last year and manages to overshadow She got me in every sense. Contrary to Luca’s, this song fits the country so well, draws attention back to the French language and gets you involved in a sea of feelings.
Had the contest been held it would have deserved to win!!!

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Sam

What do you mean, “the song fits the country “? And why didn’t “She got me”?

Sam
Sam
Reply to  Tibor

I lived in Switzerland for a while and loved it’s calmness, the silent neighbourhoods, the respectful people, the awe-inspiring views from its landscapes, everything was so peaceful there. Repondez-moi fits that atmosphere. She got me, on the contrary, looked like made for a completely different context, not the one I lived in definitely. I’m not saying it’s a bad song, but simply that Repondez-moi is so much better.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Sam

I guess, I have a less romanticized image of Switzerland than you do, 😉 and I know it pretty well myself.

My Tears Are Getting Sober
My Tears Are Getting Sober

I am not the biggest fan of this song (as you can see by my name) but it is beautiful and the voice is something out of a dream

Roelof Meesters
Roelof Meesters

I may personally not be the biggest fan of this entry, but my God is this high- quality. This is raw emotion delivered perfectly and the lyrics relate to Gjon on such a personal level that I can’t help but feel that they should honestly use the same lyrics next year, even tho that wouldn’t be allowed. Switzerland has been super underrated in the past (my heart still bleeds for 2017 and 2018), and it’s great that they’re finally getting their recognition. It’s just a teeny-tiny little bit too drawn out for me, but it’s an easy 9/10.

Fionn
Fionn

He’s such a cutie. His personality it so cute too ahhhhhh,,,

ESCFan2009
ESCFan2009

My winner 2020. Speechless. That voice and these high notes… 10/10

ESCFan2009
ESCFan2009
Reply to  ESCFan2009

Rating all entries today, this is the forth I already did before 😀 So great, Gjon!
Formally:
Switzerland – 10/10 (1st/41)

Zelenovi
Zelenovi

I’m not even a fan of ballads and still Gjon gives me goosebumps every time I listen to this. His voice is *unreal*.

I’ll repeat what I said before: it’s a very good thing for Gjon that he has another year for Arcade to sink a little further into people’s memories. This guy has got what it takes to win the entire darn ESC and he deserves not to be compared to anyone. Hopp Schwyz!

SWITZERLAND – This beautiful song just left me speechless the first time I listened to it! I wanted to hear it again and again. And that was even before I read it’s deep lyrics. It asks some vital questions about humanity and our existence. After learning this mesmerizing melody also has a strong meaning, there was no way but up. Gjon is an amazing live singer, so I’m sure this would’ve ended-up at least in top 10 of the actual contest. For me, it’s one of the few songs this season I would straight-up call a masterpiece! It has absolutely… Read more »

Erik
Erik

The first thing what the singer has to do when the coroner quarantaine is over, is to go to the hairdresser.

The hair look like a big toilet brush.

Meliris
Meliris
Reply to  Erik

No, no, no! he has GREAT hair!

Richard
Richard
Reply to  Erik

Magnificent hair!

Rainer1
Rainer1

Winner2020. Absolutly amazing!

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
Reply to  Colin

That’s a really good review, Colin. Just a quick note – your list is missing Finland 🙂

Reply to  Skiwalko

Thank you very much, Skiwalko. I read and liked your review as well. I love reading how different people think about same songs. It’s part of what makes this so cool. 🙂

Also, thanks for the reminder. I’ll re-post my Estonian and Swiss reviews with right full score system. Hopefully, people who liked them extend that to the re-post. I probably copied an early version. My bad.

PS. Thanks all of you people. You are great.

Paul
Paul

Norway is better than this ?! Sure Wiwibloggs!

Reply to  Paul

Switzerland had a higher average than Norway. Switzerland: 7.95/10 and Norway 7.9/10. Not sure why the averages are different in the article compared to their YouTube video.

Reply to  sav001

I wonder if Wiwibloggs have employed the same people who supervised the voting at the contest last year…..

My favourite of 2020. This should not come as a surprise. I also don’t have the words to explain why. Pure feeling.

Reply to  Purple Mask

Same! See above. 🙂

Mia
Mia

This is beautiful entry, but I’m not entirely on hype train, there are few things which stops me to connect with this song. First of all I don’t get the lyrics, everyone says it’mystical, poetical, but I see only random questions which sound meaningful, but hey maybe it’s just me doesn’t get it 😛 Second, I overall enjoy this song when I’m listening, but I don’t replay it, the only thing which I remember is Gjon’s beautiful voice. Actually performer is the one who elevates this song, credit to him. What I love the most about this entry are great… Read more »

Kosey

Can you all chill out about Norway? Just focus on Switzerland, no need to drag down another song.

Jesper Hjellnes
Jesper Hjellnes
Reply to  Kosey

Yes, I don’t understand why everyone feels for mentioning our entry. This is Switzerland 😉 I do like both songs though 🙂

Eurotrash
Eurotrash

How the hell did Norway place higher than this?

Reply to  Eurotrash

Only in the video. In the articles Norway has a 7.9 average and Switzerland 7.95.

Tom
Tom

Norway is higher than this
We can laugh now

Idksmth
Idksmth

My runner up this year. Everything about this screams perfection. The haunting melody, his pure vocals and the beautiful meaningful French lyrics (idk if they’re meaningful but nobody seems to have a problem with that). I just love this. I’m sad because we won’t see the song on the stage because the staging literally could be a light shining on him for 3 minutes and I’d still enjoy and love this. This was a potential winner in Rotterdam. For some reason, I connect with the Norwegian song more maybe because it was performed live and saw the emotions conveyed throughout… Read more »

Miki
Miki

I don’t like it! Actually, I hate this song… Yes, it is unpopular opinion which, according to ESC fans, is not allowed to have and I can hear gasps.

Skiwalko
Skiwalko

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a really good song, and a far better effort than “She Got Me”. I’m just not as passionate about it as some other fans. “Repondez-moi” asks many questions about life, death, love and society, but it does it in a very inconsistent way. Sometimes the questions it poses feel very personal (“Why do you fall asleep in my bed?”, “Why am I a stranger here and a stranger there?”), sometimes they’re general and universal (“Why does death come after life?”, “Why do we all run without stopping?”), and sometimes they’re poetic and enigmatic (“Why will… Read more »

Héctor
Héctor

You can tell the jury is messed up when Norway scores 7.9 and this one just a 7.78. It feels so disrespectful. That’s typical Eurovision fandom. The first time I listened to it I got goosebumps even though I didn’t understand the whole song (my level of Française isn’t that high), when I read the lyrics I’ve realised the lyrics has a deep meaning told in a beatifully poetic way. His vocal ability is stunning, those falsettos… I’m not even a fan of falsettos, but the guy hits every single note effortlessly. I’m sure the live perfomance was going to… Read more »

Reply to  Héctor

No need to be down on Norway, it’s a good song with a great performer and a deep meaning

Pandaman
Pandaman
Reply to  Héctor

I feel like the reason for this might be because the Norwegian entry is more accessible overall. Both songs are really good, both are emotional, but “Repondez-moi” is less mainstream. I personally love the Swiss entry, it’s my favourite this year, but I can see why it’s easier for the general audience to root for “Attention”.

Reply to  Héctor

In the articles Norway has an average of 7.9 and Switzerland 7.95. Why are the averages different in their videos?

Mr X
Mr X

Switzerland 10/10 – I´m mourning about my favourite…..

Odysseas
Odysseas

When I first heard this song i didn’t like it all. It was easily on my bottom 3. But then, i heard it again and listened more carefully to it. That’s it. Everything changed. Personal winner here!Everything about this song is PHENOMENAL!! Vocals? Out of this world! What about the instrumental? Haunting, extremely beautiful. Lyrics? MAGICAL! They pass so many strong messages about the origin of human beings and so many other things in the simplest way. Innocent and pure like Gjon. A complete artist, possibly the biggest discovery in Eurovision. I’m so devastated that we won’t be able to… Read more »

Thanos
Thanos

My personal winner this year, it is the most melodic and meaningful song with an amazing video clip and a singer with a stunning voice. In my opinion, it would have been our winner!!!! My top so far: 1. Switzerland 2. Italy 3. Romania 4. Bulgaria 5. Croatia 6. United Kingdom 7. Norway 8. — 9. -–10. Denmark 11. Russia 12. Australia 13. Albania 14. Finland 15. Israel 16. Ireland 17. Moldova 18. Estonia 19. — 20. –21. Belgium 22. — 23. Poland 24. Georgia 25. Czech Republic 26. — 27. Slovenia 28. France 29. Portugal 30. Armenia 31. Spain… Read more »

Vanja
Vanja

It’s one of my absolute favourites this year, I can feel every word Gjon is singing, he’s such an emotive singer. I feel his pain, and the song puts me in a contemplative mood. This would’ve definitely contended for the win, in my opinion. I know I’ll be listening to this song forever more. <3

Polliu
Polliu

Overrated as hell by the Eurovision fans. His vocal is amazing but the melody is nothing special. Unlike Arcade that I fell in love for the first listen, this is just okay at best.

Miles
Miles

Stunned at how amazing this song is. To score this as low as a 4.5 is very questionable…

Would have been one of the contenders to win?

Emily
Emily

Switzerland outfrance-ing France? Who knew? Gjon’s vocals are easily the best part of this one (I tried recreating the high notes, shockingly terrible) but as far as placing is concerned, it barely misses out on my top 10. A solid song.

Kosey

14. Switzerland – 7.5/10 – intriguing and mysterious, this song begins almost as a medieval religious chant, but develops into something much more modern. It is driven throughout by an exceptional vocal performance. It asks us to ponder some deep, universal subjects, Gjon’s Tears taking us on an emotional ride through the most fragile corners of our collective souls. I find the song a little too exaggerated in its performance and the lyrics a little too angst-ridden and sincere but I can appreciate that these factors could be the reasons why people have fallen in love with it. I also… Read more »

Reply to  Kosey

Interestingly, we both appreciate each other’s favorites a lot, but have them rated ”only” 7.5/10 (even if that score is quite good). 🙂

My top 10:
1. Switzerland
2. Italy
3. Romania
4. ?
5. ?
6. Bulgaria
7. Poland
8. Finland
9. Russia
10. ?

Reply to  Colin

Just read your excellent review Colin and it’s clear to see that you feel for Switzerland in much the same way as I feel for Norway – I’m really pleased you’ve found a song that connects with you so well, I know that Norway’s entry this year is going to stay with me for a long time, and I guess that’s what Eurovision is all about, finding that entry you wouldn’t otherwise have found which offers you something strong on a personal level. I really like Switzerland and I can appreciate its quality. I suppose that is the difference between… Read more »

Reply to  Kosey

And I am now waiting on my 3rd, 7th and 9th. I wonder if we will have the same 3 in our Top 10? One of mine is perhaps a surprise so something tells me we won’t have the same but it will be fun to find out!

Reply to  Kosey

Thanks, Kosey! Your review is also very interesting and good. Admittedly, both Norway and Switzerland are great songs and both should have scored high with Wiwi jury. To nitpick which one got a *slightly higher* score might feel a bit petty. I am pretty positive both would have qualified from the actual contest. I am interested in out remaining three places of top 10. Clues for mine: – One gave me goosebumps for it’s mature and deep lyrics, other one combines centuries old tradition and contemporary sounds in an unique way, the third one is very laid back and creates… Read more »

Reply to  Colin

From your descriptions I am guessing Netherlands, Ukraine and Iceland?

To give you some clues back, my three are:
– one that just makes me want to go crazy in a good way
– one that kicks butt and has a great, “timeless” message
– one that creates an intoxicating, mystical vibe

My bottom 10 is done, although my 31st is still open and I think it will upset a few people!

Reply to  Kosey

You might be onto something! 🙂 Your three might be Latvia, Lithuania and Azerbaijan?
”although my 31st is still open and I think it will upset a few people!” It’s obviously not Switzerland, Italy or Romania, so I’ll be fine. 🙂 I still have my 29th which might get a lot of frownies as well, despite a decent rating.

Tibor
Tibor

This is not bad, by any means, it sits right outside my top 5 and I occasionally listen to it (and sing along, it’s fun). The thing is that I completely understand, what Sebastian and Deban don’t like about this song: It’s ultra predictable, nothing here surprises, you always know, what will happen next, when the beat will set in, when the high note will occur, what line he will sing next. The song itself is really no masterpiece. On the other hand, Gjon’s vocals pull this pleasant melody out of the ordinary. I’d like to hear what he can… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

To me it is a masterpiece. When have you heard a song like this before at Eurovision?

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  sav001

My frame of reference when it comes to music, isn’t only Eurovision, but even in Eurovision you have this type of song every year. And I’m careful to say: this type of song, that doesn’t mean I think it’s a copy. But a melancholic and melodic male ballad with a good vocal and a big note, when did that happen last? I’d say it won the whole thing last year.

Sale
Sale

Attention over this…??

Reply to  Sale

In my opinion yes, Attention got a 10 from me. But I guess it’s all a matter of personal taste.

Alo
Alo
Reply to  Sale

My first thought exactly

Reply to  Sale

In their articles Norway got a lower average than Switzerland. Why the difference in the video.