Go_A SHUM

Ukrainian band Go_A definitely made some noise when they released “SHUM” back in January. But in order to comply with the Eurovision rules, the song had to be reworked slightly. In a video premiere on the channel UA:Pershyi, the group has now revealed the revamped version of “SHUM” and its music video.

Fans got a first taste of the revamped “SHUM” at 13:15 CET when the group debuted a fragment of the track on UA: Radio Promin. Then, at 13:40 CET, a teaser for the new music video was shown during the Suspilne Studio talk show on UA:PERSHYI TV. Hosts Anatolii Yerema and Darka Hirna also talked to Go_A about their Eurovision preparations.

The music video dropped at 18:00 CET and was shot by Maksym Tuzhylin, who won from a tender of ten participants with video ideas.

Why did Go_A need to revamp “SHUM”?

“SHUM” borrows heavily from existing Ukrainian folklore. In fact, the song is a re-arrangement of different versions of the traditional Ukrainian folk song “A v nashoho shuma”Eurovision.tv reported that the song needed reworking to fit the contest’s requirements. Besides the extensive borrowing of folklore, the song was one minute too long in its original form. The current Eurovision rules do not state anything explicitly about the use of pre-existing folklore. They do state, however, that broadcasters must inform the Reference Group if the melody or lyrics were published before 1 September.

In its new version, Go_A have reworked the lyrics significantly as well as the melody. A totally new lyrical piece has appeared talking about the celebration of a “vesnyanka”, a traditional Ukrainian Spring ritual.

What do you think of Go_A’s “SHUM” revamp? How does it compare to the earlier version? Let us know in the comments below!

Read all our Eurovision Ukraine news here.

Klinke_Hans
Klinke_Hans

The new version is ok. But a lot of the “originality” is gone. The first one was magical. This is not.

Nils
Nils

what a terrible revamp. i really liked the first version. but now they’ve turned it into a weaker version of neiokoso’s ‘tii’ – which undeservingly crashed out of the semi-final 17 years ago. i feel like they might come to regret this.

Irishfan
Irishfan

I loved the original version. It was one of my favourites this year. The revamp is very disappointing.

Musically this is one of the most fascinating revamps in Eurovision’s history. This will no doubt be the subject of a musicology analysis one day. For the contest, I predict that this will do quite well because it stands out against the competition and has a lot of “hooks” for the listener.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl

I deliberately did not listen to the original Stum a whole lot because I wanted to give the revamp a chance. It’s definitely different and I need some time to get used to it. It’s kind of flexing in my personal list, but I think I just need to pretend that the first version of shum doesn’t exist And judge this song independently.

mark
mark

I LOVE the long version of the song…sadly, the revamp has less impact on me.

Kristof
Kristof

I am absolutely BIG fan of GO_A this year. And in stead of having 1 top song, we got 2 for the price of 1 : an original remix version of 3:50 minutes that is in my opinion close to perfection and a reworked version of 2:50 minutes that has kept all of the diamonds of the original one : the building of the tempo, the bass, the deep electro sound, the FLUTE (wow), the drop, the mix between dance & folklore, the catchy seyo seyo seyo seyo, the piercing end note… The original song was my N°1. This remains… Read more »

Jose
Jose

I don’t like the sequel. No final for Ukraine this year

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Jose

Same for me

Is she having a face decoration that wants to look like oxygen tubing for people that cannot breath for themselves? If so – extremely distasteful considering a certain imagery of the current times.

James
James

It’s a nose ring.

Reply to  James

It still looks like oxygen tubing no matter what it is called or whatever it wants to be.

Matija
Matija

The first version was better for me.

Nicola
Nicola

Ok. In regards to the revamp, the hardcore Eurovision Fans only make up a really small percentage of the Eurovision audience. 99% of viewers will not have heard the original version. Plus the song was over 3 minutes (I do think that rule should be changed) and the lyrics needed to be reworked because of the rules relating to the contest.

TexasGuy
TexasGuy

its different but nice and unique, intresting how they will transit it to stage, I want the dancer from first clip to be presented 🙂

I believe they will qualify with this and probably will reach top 15

Helen

Some people being too dramatic lol

I love both versions, the new one as Kateryna said is not a revamp but more like SEQUEL,
they couldn’t keep old version anyway so I’m gonna enjoy new one
Good luck guys! 😀

p.s. I really can’t wait to see the staging for Shum

Last edited 6 months ago by Helen
Europotato
Europotato

No!!! Gosh darn it I was so looking forward to the first version. I honestly think this is a step down from it. Still good and unique but damn that first version was something else!

I never realised how much I liked the original until now. The build in it was so good. This seems rushed and the vocal part is definitely less memorable now. I also think the production was better on the original, which is unusual when you’re revamping.

It’s still good, it’s just no longer great.

Joe_
Reply to  Briekimchi

I believe it’s true. So far, the revamp was a massive fail. But it had to fit with those rules, you know. If other people love it, then overall, it’s fine.

Piet
Piet

It was a NQ and it still is a NQ. The ESC voting public will shun this. Nothing wrong quality-wise but it’s the wrong contest for them.

Cheerios
Cheerios
Reply to  Piet

Ukraine is definitely qualifying this year still ngl

Denis
Denis

Trinity from Matrix, how cool is that?
That is a well-shot video though. Great angles!

The first version was my 1st place. It was very unusual for me to get into the new version. However, with each new listening, I love it more and more. It still has that dark enchantment vibe, it still has the drop and a tempo change, it still feels authentic and mysterious. I’ll still give them my vote in the semi!

Stephanie
Stephanie

Don’t hold it against me but this is my guilty pleasure. Can’t help it. But I’m realistic enough this is not a winner. And I don’t think l will be surprised if it doesn’t make it to the final.

Nick
Nick

I love your new pic Bean 😛

John Welsh
John Welsh

oh dear this never needed a revamp it sounds more like a de-vamp to me. Disappointing.

Helen
Reply to  John Welsh

well, with no revamp EBU wouldn’t allow old version to the contest …

Monika
Monika

Still messy and irritating. Overall it’s an awful package

Nick
Nick
Reply to  Monika

noway! with a cool staging its top 10 material 😀

Adam
Adam

For me – it’s better than original – it’s more faster and powerful. In chorus I sing from first song but this is for me TOP3 😀 Interesting how it will work on stage.

Musimak
Musimak

I didn’t really get the message it’s quite confusing but I agree it’s way more fit for staging now.

BeepBoop
BeepBoop

Knowing they had to change lyrics… this is an amazing revamp! <3

MariAkki
MariAkki

I love everything about this!

I prefer the original.

Leo M
Leo M

Ukraine what have you done. I loved the original. This is a disaster

Sven
Sven
Reply to  Leo M

it’s not them, EBU forced them, and they did amazing job with this

Sven
Sven

Love it! Amazing version, I love previous one too, but think this one more suitable for Eurovision, good luck Go-A 😀

and Igor, the flute guy is so handsome… aha)

Brad
Brad

First listening of revamp: What? A u okAy? Weird decision…..
Second listening: Okay, interesting
100500 listenings: best revamp, omg, perfect, my favourites!!!!

GrantK
GrantK

I think it’s brilliant still and it deserves top ten placing.

Darren
Darren

I like it
But I’m finding it hard to connect with, maybe because I’ve been listening to the original on repeat since it was revealed.

I’ll reserve judgement until I’ve had a few listens to it.
Not a bad revamp though and I really like Go_A.

Europotato
Europotato
Reply to  Darren

The first version hit me first listen I couldn’t believe how epic it was but I’m unsure about this one. I think I’ll try some more listens. I know the hook in the course isn’t as strong from the beginning but I will listen more. 🙂

Pasadena
Pasadena

It took a few listens to getting used to, but I think they have captured the essence of the original version. Ukraine stays as my number 1 (in tough competition with France and Italy).

Jimmy Smit

He’s so cute he meses with yo grammar.

Jimmy Smit

It’s one of the few entries this year I can just repeat and repeat and dance to–the rhythms and sounds are sublime–and yes, yes, the flute player is cute.

Last edited 6 months ago by Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit

I really like it! The use of Chernobyl as a setting works really quite poignantly for the themes of the song, singing for renewal and a spring awakening. It’s cool how the dancers are raving for this awakening of the ground and perhaps also of themselves, their own bodies–connecting the acts of song and dance with environment and nature. The Mad Max inspirations are also pretty nice–adds an extra depth to the idea of a spring both for Chernobyl and hints at some bigger story that the video is set within, of a post-apocalyptic Ukraine.

Lolek
Lolek

Other than lyrical changes I don’t really detect a difference so my opinion hasn’t really changed from before.

Tibor
Tibor

I like this one much better than the first song – because this is more than just a revamp, melody and lyrics have changed, the bass is more prominent, the tempo changes are smoother and the high note at the end is less grating. But they have kept their iconic flute bits. I’m on board, but it’s undeniably different.

Reply to  Tibor

I always thought you would end up liking this one, even without a revamp. And yes, the high note in the end is better now. I’ll need some time to get where I were with the first version, because my brain keeps playing it along with the new one. I guess that also explains why some are disappointed, but time will probably solve this issue.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Sabrina

I’m not sure I would have grown to like the other version – to my ears it sounded really disjointed and grating. And I can do grating – like in Redel -, but then it has to be angrier. Electronic music is really my go to “genre”, if you will, and I tend to get a little picky when it comes to it. I also understand the disappointment of some, because this version has a very different, much smoother vibe to it – and I’m not only talking about the final note, the overall melody is kept in lower tones… Read more »

Last edited 6 months ago by Tibor
Reply to  Tibor

I don’t actually think it’s that different, but yeah, now it’s more to the post-modern side than to the traditional one. And I feel the tempo is a little faster too (I won’t listen to the first one to compare, because I finally was able to listen to the new one without having both tracks playing in my head simultaneously!), which makes the rave part more connected to the rest. I’m loving it already. 🙂

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Sabrina

We’ll do the in depth comparison another time then. 😉

Ravencrow Neversmiles
Ravencrow Neversmiles

Solovey was my 2nd favorite song last year and Shum is my favorite so far this year, but at first I didn’t like it that much. They still have all the elements I liked in the first version. The thing I like most about the revamp is that it progresses faster. My least favorite change is the lyrics. I don’t understand them but I already got used to what they sounded like. This version will probably grow on me like the song did in the first place and it will still be my favorite. I love the music video too.

Last edited 6 months ago by Ravencrow Neversmiles
Sebastian Flores
Sebastian Flores

What have they done? It’s so upsetting. Shum was my favorite song going to Eurovision, and now…

The old version still exists and people can listen to it whenever they like, so nobody needs to get upset.

Inga
Inga
Reply to  Jonas

This is just not how a competition works, you know?

Doe Bob
Doe Bob

If I imagine that I didn’t listen SHUM before, I can say that this song is great. But as a human who listened SHUM before I want to say that I’m disappointed

Roelof M
Roelof M

It will take some time to get used to, of course, but with good staging (and a strong vocal) this is another qualifier for Ukraine (even if it has a lot of strong competition in the second half of SF 1), the instrumental parts are just so incredibly great. I hope Ukraine and Russia will qualify side by side this year (completely leaving Belarus in the dust but that’s another story).

Gurl
Gurl

This sounds a bit anticlimactic compared to the first “version” (to my ears this one is a different song), which was a masterpiece. This new Shum is still very good, though.

Last edited 6 months ago by Gurl
John
John

I will have to forget the old version. But remember people, ESC viewers will not have seen it most likely. I like that they made their own lyrics instead of what they used before, and also I like how they compressed the instrumental into 3 min. Overall, very nice package that will stand out from anything in Rotterdam, so far.

ad23
ad23

Went from a definite qualifier to borderline

Everything I loved about it is still there (the mix between traditional and post-modern, the flute, the electronic sounds, the progression, the “rave segment”), but I guess it will take a while for us to get used to the new song used as foundation for the whole piece. If you loved Shum, I would ask you not to jump on conclusions yet, let it sink a bit in our minds. What I can already say is that the “cheap video” made with a cellphone is actually better than the “expensive one”. Though their outfits in this one are more suited… Read more »

Last edited 6 months ago by Sabrina

I think they revamped it in a decent way. I will admit I was in love with the original and this does an okay job of keeping key elements of it. I just wish the broadcaster didn’t make them totally revamp it because the original lyrics and melody really made it stand out. I mean I am sure this will still qualify regardless, but I think it won’t be as high as before

Jamie
Jamie

Not sure if it made it better, but it’s not a bad revamp for sure. Main elements of the song sound familiar even after they were changed. So that’s a nice thing. Ukraine will qualify with ease imo.

Last edited 6 months ago by Jamie
Kate
Kate

Love it, good job Go-A 😀
for me its a definite qualifier !