It’s Europe’s favourite retro watch-a-long show. And on Saturday, #EurovisionAgain returned for its August 2021 edition. This time, Eurovision 1992 was the classic song contest of choice.

The original competition held in Malmö saw Ireland come out on top.

However, as with every #EurovisionAgain, today’s fans watching online were able to vote for their favourites…and the result was slightly different. Fans voted Italy’s Mia Martini as the winner with “Rapsodia”.

The real-life champion — Ireland’s Linda Martin with “Why Me?” — finished in second place.

Mia Martini wins #EurovisionAgain 1992

Listed below are the results for #EurovisionAgain 1992. The rankings are based on the votes of all those who decided to vote for their favourites while rewatching the Eurovision 1992 grand final on Saturday 21 August.

In brackets, we’ve included the differences between the new fan vote and the original result from 29 years ago.

#EurovisionAgain 1992 results

1. Italy: Mia Martini – “Rapsodia” (+3)
  2. Ireland: Linda Martin – “Why Me?” (-1)
  3. United Kingdom: Michael Ball – “One Step Out of Time” (-1)
  4. Iceland: Heart 2 Heart – “Nei eða já” (+3)
  5. Greece: Cleopatra – “Olou tou kosmou i Elpida” (=)
  6. Israel: Dafna Dekel – “Ze Rak Sport” (=)
  7. France: Kali – “Monté la riviè” (+1)
  8. Cyprus: Evridiki – “Teriazoume” (+3)
  9. Malta: Mary Spiteri – “Little Child” (-6)
  10. Netherlands: Humphrey Campbell – “Wijs me de weg” (-1)
  11. Yugoslavia: Extra Nena – “Ljubim te pesmama” (+2)
  12. Norway: Merethe Trøan – “Visjoner” (+6)
  13. Portugal: Dina – “Amor d’água fresca” (+4)
  14. Denmark: Kenny Lübcke & Lotte Nilsson – “Alt det som ingen ser” (-2)
  15. Finland: Pave Maijanen – “Yamma, yamma” (+8)
  16. Sweden: Christer Björkman – “I morgon är en annan dag” (+6)
  17. Germany: Wind – “Träume sind für alle da” (-1)
  18. Spain: Serafín – “Todo esto es la música” (-4)
  19. Luxembourg: Marion Welter & Kontinent – “Sou fräi” (+2)
  20. Turkey: Aylin Vatankoş – “Yaz Bitti” (-1)
  21. Austria: Tony Wegas – “Zusammen geh’n” (-11)
  22. Belgium: Morgane – “Nous, on veut des violons” (-2)
  23. Switzerland: Daisy Auvray – “Mister Music Man” (-8)

Watch Eurovision 1992 online

#EurovisionAgain may be over for this month, but the Eurovision 1992 grand final remains online… for now. You can watch the full show on the official Eurovision YouTube channel. However, it is only available for one month.

But why? Before 2004, the copyright for each show belonged to the respective broadcasters. In the case of 1992, that’s Sweden’s SVT. For now, the Swedish network has opted to make the show available only temporarily.

From 2004, the rules changed and the EBU took over ownership of the rights. Hence, the uploads of contests from 2004 onwards have remained online permanently.

#EurovisionAgain is scheduled to return on Saturday 18 September at 21:00 CEST for another rewatch of a classic song contest.

What is #EurovisionAgain?

Throughout the first 15 weeks of the COVID-19 pandemic, the #EurovisionAgain team organised mass sync viewings of classic contests on Saturday evenings. The EBU soon came on board and began publishing previously unavailable shows on its YouTube channel.

The rewatches have since switched to monthly affairs, now taking place on the third Saturday of each month.

As well as organising rewatches, the #EurovisionAgain team has also added a fundraising element for various LGBTQ+ charities.

For further details about the rewatches, check out the #EurovisionAgain Twitter page.

Do you agree that Mia Martini deserved to win the Eurovision 1992 rewatch? Which year do you hope #EurovisionAgain travels to next time? Let us know in the comments.

Read more #EurovisionAgain news here

Princess Peregrine
Princess Peregrine
19 days ago

A well deserved win for Italy. A beautifully haunting song performed brilliantly. Also good to see my other favorite Cyprus doing slightly better this time around although I’d have preferred it to come second.

nycforever
nycforever

Europe started finally appreciate and understand italian music. Mia Martini was a legend ofc.

Dani

Masterpiece, one of my favourites of all times.

HarpyDarper
HarpyDarper

I’ll watch this a bit later, though I haven’t heard great things about it. Rome 1991 was a n unprofessional shambles, but this is far too much the other way and is meant to be so dull and joyless, that it makes you miss the unintentional hilarity of the previous year. I’m not familiar with many of the songs, but I do like France’s entry, perhaps the only authentic and pure example of reggae music at the contest. And of course I’ve long been aware of the incredible Mia Martini, and I’m delighted that she has won this, if only… Read more »

Gippa
Gippa
Reply to  HarpyDarper

Yes, she is very much respected and considered by many the greatest italian “interpreter” ever. I don’t know if it’s a thing in other countries as well but we tend to differentiate between singer and interpreter: the first one could sing magnificently but can’t make you feel things deeply or “telling stories” as an interpreter can, and an interpreter can sing technically worse than a good singer (not talking about out of tune here, just techniques and maybe vocal range, and not the case of Mia Martini as well). Personally I think Mina is the greatest italian singer ever (probably… Read more »

Vale
Vale
Reply to  HarpyDarper

As Gippa wrote, Mia Martini is regarded as the greatest female music artist (‘interprete’ in Italian, she wasn’t just a singer). Rapsodia is really a modest song, compared to her discography. In the 80’s she underwent two vocal surgeries and her voice changed drastically. Her personal story, her music makes her one of the most relevant female artists in Europe. She was forced to abandon her career by the music sector and by her colleagues, because she was considered a person bringing bad luck. Like in a witch hunt, she was despised, rejected from any music events and thus she… Read more »

HarpyDarper
HarpyDarper
Reply to  Vale

Aww!

Glad she is revered now, shame about her troubles. What other songs from her discography would you recommend? I’m familiar with her 1977 entry, where you could hardly recognise her! Was she versatile?

ItaloJeck
ItaloJeck
Reply to  HarpyDarper

1) Almeno tu nell’universo (a masterpiece!)

2) E non finisce mica il cielo
3) La costruzione di un amore
4) Gli uomini non cambiano
5) Piccolo uomo
6) Minuetto

Vale
Vale
Reply to  HarpyDarper

She was quite versatile. You can see her singing three genres here:
youtube.com/watch?v=7KdVZAEbUJ4

But it is difficult to suggest a specific song for people not speaking Italian, her music was so connected to the lyrics.

She did also ethnic music:
youtube.com/watch?v=1fIEbdJDLqY

In Greek: youtube.com/watch?v=8PPLYorgKAs

Martin and Martini. Linda’s paternal heritage is Italian, the family were actually called Martini before they dropped the last letter after moving. I don’t know how interesting that is, but I’ve typed it now…

My personal winner is France!! Beautiful!!! It may be my second fave entry from France after the exceptional 1990 entry. I also liked Greece a lot!!

Dans82
Dans82

Deserved win, Rapsodia remains my favourite ESC song, so melodic, such a heartfelt performance, simply sublime. Bravo Mia

Except for the Italian singer swearing in the mike after she heard someone in the audience screaming happy birthday to her, this must be the most boring edition I have ever watched.

My favourite was Portugal. I also enjoyed Denmark, Iceland, Israel and the UK. I can’t stand “Why me”.

Izzy
Izzy
Reply to  Whisker

Totally agree! One of the most boring editions and worst of SVT’s production

Reply to  Whisker

She said “c-a-zz-0”. Well, credit to her. She did compose herself very quickly!

Credit to her and shame on that dude!

Nicholas
Nicholas
Reply to  Whisker

What are you all talking about?? Someone from the audience shouted “Tanti auguri Mia!”, meaning “All the best or Best wishes Mia!”, and Mia Martini responded by saying “Grazie!”, that is “Thank you!”

Fabio
Fabio

She said grazie, not cazzo.

Roo
Roo
Reply to  Whisker

Linda’s best performance was her ‘odious little man’ rant at the Irish national final several years ago.

Fabio
Fabio
Reply to  Whisker

Whisker, either you’re hearing impaired or have zero knowledge of the Italian language, lol. Mia’s birthday was in September, I wonder why some would wish her a happy birthday in May. The guy in the audience just wished her good luck and she said thank you. That’s all…

Vale
Vale
Reply to  Whisker

Horrible comment. You just wrote something non true. Plus you are disrespecting a singer regarded as a legend in Italy.

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo

Mia Martini, a beautiful singer from Italy, rest in place. Queen

An edition without “mercenary writeres”! Must watch.

Sot
Sot

Eh, I guess it’s an unpopular opinion but my personal top3 for 1992 was:

1. Greece (Gives me chills)
2. France (So unique!)
3. UK (Really interesting musically)

Fabio
Fabio
Reply to  Sot

What’s so interesting about the UK entry? It’s just a straightforward pop song, nothing really unique or special in it. Maybe you got some entries mixed up.

Alo
Alo

Should have won that year. I never understood those 3 Irish wins (1992-1994)!every year there were better possible winners.
Also, the Greek song was great too and should have given them in my opinion at least top 5.

Fabio
Fabio
Reply to  Alo

I agree, and “In Your Eyes” is even more bland. The only Irish win I really appreciate in the 90s is “The Voice”.

Thijn
Thijn
Reply to  Fabio

I think Ireland 1994 was deserved too. Rock ‘n Roll Kids is a beautiful song!

Sot
Sot
Reply to  Fabio

In Your Eyes is my fav winner from the 90’s but from what I can see it’s a reeaaaaally unpopular opinion

Tibor
Tibor

I had no idea, Mia Martini was Loredana Bertè’s older sister – and that she died so tragically. 🙁

Bella
Bella

Too bad there’s nothing in the article about Mia, who passed away only 3 years after taking part in Eurovision. An amazing performance and a truly deserved victory, 26 years after her passing away. RIP!

Charles
Charles

For once current ESC fans understood the greatness of pre-2000/pre-televoting/pre-LED/pre-BS Eurovision by awarding Italy in 1992 with its musical merit and greatness. Have sweet memories as a young teen boy watching 1992 in particulat this one … RIP Mia Martini
Italy being IMO the only country to truly treat its own music with love and care when taking part of Eurovision and that resonates in both the past and the present of contest.
Everybody else either playing bubblegum Sweden tricks, not even trying to have a chance at all or trying too hard too scream “give us 12 points please”.

A Masterpiece.

Yannis
Yannis

Mia Martini is an iconic artist and nothing less than first place! Rest in peace

percale
percale

You know, I’m starting to suspect that the Eurovision Again people are keen to bring it to an end, but don’t want to actually cancel it. They seem to be hoping it starts to lose popularity and then they can say they’re ending it because no one is interested anymore. Understandably enough, I’m sure they’re all very busy with the actual contest and JESC now everything is up and running again, 2020 was different. I think this because they used the reorderboard again, when about 90% of people on Twitter and YouTube said last month they hated the change and… Read more »

My first take at the 1992 contest! Italy was shoulder above the rest, so it’s understandable that Mia Martini won this time around! Congrats! I did like Ireland’s actual winning entry as well, but I did like Italy better. Austria deserved a higher score IMHO (and apparently it had one in the actual contest). I found France and Cyprus interesting in their structures. That’s my very first impression, anyway…

Last edited 3 months ago by Colin
Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Colin

The classic ballads always hit home with you, don’t they? 🙂 I preferred the French entry, the Greek entry was rather ambitious for a Eurovision song of that era, and the Cypriot entry had very nice verses, although a slightly forgettable chorus.

Reply to  Tibor

Chances are 3 to 1 I guess… 🙂 I had a hunch you’d like France. 🙂 To be fair, it’s easily in my preliminary top 10, based on what I’ve heard last night. Same with Greece and Cyprus.

Last edited 3 months ago by Colin