After three heats, two semi-finals and two voting rounds in the grand final, at last Hungary has decided. Joci Pápai will return to Eurovision, after he won A Dal 2019 with his song “Az én apám” (My father).

The A Dal grand final result was decided from two rounds of voting. After the acts performed their songs, the expert jury voted and from their votes alone the top four acts then progressed to the super final. The four super finalists were: Joci Pápai with “Az én apám”, Acoustic Planet with “Nyári zápor”, Bence Vavra with “Szótlanság” and Bogi Nagy with “Holnap”.

This also meant that two popular acts had their A Dal journey end early. Gergő Szekér had been a favourite with his song “Madár, repülj!”, but he narrowly missed out in fifth place. Hungary’s Eurovision 2014 act András Kállay-Saunders missed out as part of his new musical project The Middletonz and their song “Roses”. They placed sixth. The jury vote ensure that both these popular acts would not face the public’s vote for the winner.

The top four acts then faced a second round of voting, determined entirely by the public vote. From that, the people of Hungary voted and decided they wanted Joci Pápai to be their act in Tel Aviv.

Joci Pápai returns to Eurovision

József “Joci” Pápai first won A Dal 2017 and represented Hungary at in Kyiv. The song placed eighth in the grand final and is Hungary’s third-best ever Eurovision result.

Joci’s 2019 song “Az én apám” is different to “Origo”. The 2017 song included  a dramatic rap and violin, while “Az én apám” is a ballad, but with the distinct Hungarian ethnic sounds that Joci is known for.

Joci won’t be the only returning at at Eurovision 2019. He’ll be joined by the Russian star Sergey Lazarev who taking another shot at Eurovision glory, while Turkish crooner Serhat will again represent the microstate of San Marino. Tamara Todevska will also return to represent FYR Macedonia with “Proud”.

A Dal 2019 – first round results

1. Joci Pápai – “Az én apám” (26 points)
  2. Acoustic Planet – “Nyári zápor” (22 points)
  3. Bence Vavra – “Szótlanság” (20 points)
  4. Bogi Nagy – “Holnap” (16 points)
  5. Gergő Szekér – “Madár, repülj!” (12 points)
  6. The Middletonz – “Roses” (8 points)
  7. Fatal Error – “Kulcs” (8 points)
  8. Gergő Oláh – “Hozzád bújnék” (0 points)

What do you think? Are you excited that Joci will return to Eurovision? Can he top his 2017 result? Have your say below!

Read more Hungary Eurovision news

Total
329
Shares
Minerva
Minerva
1 year ago

I think it’s a good song, but not as powerful and memorable as Origo in 2017. He has great stage presence, though! Good luck to Hungary!!

AngieP
AngieP
1 year ago

Another returnee to Eurovision! I don’t know how he’ll do but the song is quite good. I like it.

Malin
Malin
1 year ago

Last time he was my and my eight year old doughters favorite in ESC. We listen to the song still! So diffrent to the music we hear on swedish radio! Realy like this! Good luck

Yodenman
Yodenman
1 year ago

Oh no….not him again. Could not stand him before, and now having to put up with him again.I will definitely be putting the kettle on when he comes on TV.

Fatima
Fatima
1 year ago

Good luck to him, but with all the returnees and common writers / producers / stagers, it does seem that Eurovision is eating itself.

Idan Cohen
Idan Cohen

Not a bad song!
funny, “Az En Apam” means in Hebrew “so there isn’t, this time”. maybe it’s a prophetic title? (“En” as in “En li kesef..”)

Ainsk
Ainsk

PLEASE NO

Yodenman
Yodenman
Reply to  Ainsk

Agree….cannot stand his voice….and the song

Gurl
Gurl

Meh, not with this song

ESCJudge
ESCJudge
1 year ago

There is something wrong with Hungarian entries since 2011… Do you remember that Kati Wolf was a favourite (the song was good, with a potential of a hit), but when she appeared on stage with that…. hair, and ring, and dress.. and… “choreography” she barely qualified to the final…

It seems for me that Hungarians don’t want to win ESC. One time they really send something pretending to win was (still one of my favourites) “Kedvesem” in 2013… and after that… obvious non-winners (even if they had quite a good stuff to choose from).

Reply to  ESCJudge

Kati Wolf was a fanwank. Hungary has been sending great songs almost every year. They will win ESC soon, probably within 10 years.

mark dowd
mark dowd
Reply to  ESCJudge

Nothing wrong with “Running” 2014….was leading the scoreboard after 10 votes…

Geo
Geo
1 year ago

Hungarians made a mistake. His song Origo was special back in 2017, now his song this year… Well, not that memorable… He’s a great live singer, but the song is so generic, plus it’s in Hungarian. Not sure of the chancds to qualify, or if it does… to reach a good place in the grand final, like in 2017…

TheDrMistery
TheDrMistery
Reply to  Geo

I agree. If juries didn’t stand behind “Origo”, then this has no chance with them. Whereas the previous song was energetic, angry, memorable, this one… is just there. Still, let’s wait for the staging and it’s great to have Jóci back.

Otto
Otto
1 year ago

This song misses that special chorus that his previous song had, which made it apeal to an international crowd . I like his stage presence but don’t believe this will go far unfortunately.

Kenny
Kenny
1 year ago

This entry really makes me proud to be Hungarian!

Kenny
Kenny
1 year ago

This entry makes me proud to be part Hungarian!

1 year ago

Let’s be honest here. Hungary was (once again) cornered into picking Joci Papai. Just like the juries eliminated his main competitor and fan-favorite Gabi and her Hosszu idok in 2017, they eliminated The Middletonz and Gergo Szeker now. From the start of this show and the elimination of Oliver Berkes and Rozina Patkai in the first heat, I have a feeling that they are messing us. Now I am sure those four people are either clueless of what good music is or malicious. Either way, if I were Hungarian, I’d demand some changes for A-dal.

Reply to  Colin

All of that is entirely true. A Dal does need to change. Out of a 30 song selection, the public vote only matters when there’s 4 songs left.
I think the 4 songs that were left standing were good (as they were in 2017) but they were by no means, the best 4 songs in the selection.

Katitam
Katitam
1 year ago

Joci wins, I put him on my Top 10. It’s that simple for me.

I LOVE HIM! That voice is a special one.

Jake
Jake
Reply to  Katitam

Same, although it isn’t too difficult to get into my Top 10 at the moment.

Rumpelstiltskin
Rumpelstiltskin
1 year ago

Yes! Very well deserved! Congrats Joci for such a great song and a great performance. Congrats Hungary for sending quality!

up!
up!
1 year ago

Yes, the four songs selected tonight really turned it around for me. Joci sings with so much devotion and capability, it is touching me so much…

KarWorld
KarWorld
1 year ago

I like Joci a lot, his voice, the feeling… I loved Origo. Az én apám has a very promising beginning, but then the chorus is for me a bit too basic with the nanana. Nevertheless, it is a nice song to listen to and it has that local flavour I really appreciate in this contest, so I wish him the best of luck.

Montana
Montana
1 year ago

It’s an ok song, but I liked Origo more, it’s too similar, too soon. Hungary’s had a chance to send something different with Madar, repulj, too bad the jury’s messed up the superfinal, big time. I wonder if Joci had won if Szeker Gergo and The Middletoz were still in the competition, it seems like the jury’s made it very easy for Joci to win.

Nikos
Nikos
1 year ago

This year’s A Dal had weird results from the very beginning, and I still don’t really get why so many strong contenders were eliminated so early. Anyways, “Origo” was excellent, but “Az En Apam” to me is kind of a disappointment honestly. This song doesn’t really go anywhere for me, it’s very one-note. And then too much of the song is just that “na na na” part…

Sorry Hungary, but I have a suspicion this may be a (for many) surprise nonqualifier and end their good streak. :/

Loin dici
1 year ago

At first I didn’t really bat my eye at Joci this season, now after watching the performance I love it and love that he delivered it warmly and heartfully. I’m happy that Joci can again join ESC.

And, Bogi in the superfinal. Wow.

Guest
Guest
1 year ago

flip sake why do juries hate rap so much, middletonz should have at least reached public vote.

Reply to  Guest

Most rap (not all) has only rhythm, and no melody. Without actual musical notes it has always been difficult to rate rap on a technical level, since it is Spoken Word set to music, rather than music itself. Does that make sense?
Note: This year’s Italy entry is a grey area, since it has a melody, yet people call it “rap”.

CookyMonzta
CookyMonzta
Reply to  Purple Mask

Didn’t Joci have a rap segment in his 2017 entry “Origo”?

Reply to  CookyMonzta

and the juries shamefully ranked him in the bottom 10!!!

Isa
Isa
1 year ago

Such a bad vocalist and poor song!

Aisling
Aisling
1 year ago

It’s very different from Hungary’s song last year anyway lol. But I actually really like it. Especially when he goes ‘nanana.’ Best of luck Hungary! His vocals are spot on!

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Aisling

how good it was to see Awwsa again. Love them

Mese

#justiceforthemiddletonz
#justiceforszekérgergo

Dutchfan
Dutchfan
1 year ago

Yeahhhhh I am so happy, it was my favourite. That being said, what an awhful system with these juries having way too much power

Doris
Doris
1 year ago

Good choice. My favorite entry so far ( not difficult this year with so many bad songs)

1 year ago

This is like the 3rd NF song about the artist’s father but unlike Seemone and Laura Bretan, he won.

Frysk
Frysk
Reply to  Alex

Mahmood sings over his father too!

Reply to  Frysk

Oh yea I forgot about it.

Jingo
Jingo
Reply to  Frysk

Lol but in a bad way

lasse braun
lasse braun
1 year ago

hungary has made the right choice – thank you for getting joci again – i love both songs from him.
and i still hope for leander kills in 2020 or later – this guy is so good.

eurovision6
eurovision6
1 year ago

Hope he improves the staging for Eurovision but I like his song a lot, it is very genuine and warm

Sam
Sam
1 year ago

Not as good as Origo (comparisons in the case of returining artists never work well in esc…), but I really like this song. It goes directly to my current top 5, still lead by Italy (San Remo confirmed as the best national selection).

1 year ago

The thing about returning artists is that they’ll naturally be compared to their previous efforts and sometimes it’s difficult for us to let the past behind and do what we objectively should: compare it with their current opponents.I love Joci, but I wasn’t rooting for him to win. It will be very difficult to top what he did with “Origo”. Almost impossible, I would say, unless they came with some surprising staging choices. But objectively, this is a very good song. The lyrics are beautiful and Joci’s performances are always hearfelt and carry the right amount of passion.

1 year ago

Meanwhile, Portugal SF2 is turning out to be really strong. Lots of art, and lots of heartfelt music. 🙂

Reply to  Purple Mask

NBC was particularly great.

Reply to  Sabrina

He killed it!

BB111
BB111
1 year ago

A dal is starting to grow in Hungary. The top 4 got more than 100.000 votes, which is not bad if we see Ukraine a 4 time bigger country and there the winner got 167.000 votes.

Reply to  BB111

If only they had actual judges instead of these four charlatans.

Dave
Dave
Reply to  BB111

Viewing figures are lowering year by year
In 2014 almost 900k people viewed the 1st show
By 2019 it was only 200k

Mese
Reply to  Dave

We don’t have enough power, so a lot of people don’t watch it. It will be lower after this year. Killing The Middletonz and Szekér Gergo was the worst jury decision ever in A Dal imo.

Montana
Montana
Reply to  Mese

Agreed. They should have been included in the Top 4. I don’t understand the jury’s sudden love for Vavra Bence over Szeker Gergo at all.

Tusán
Reply to  BB111

I wouldn’t say it grows. Big names don’t compete anymore and viewing figures suffer.

Serge
Serge
1 year ago

Goodbye Hungary. See you next year. (Sorry but even though I truly enjoyed him the first time he participated, this particular song sucks. There were better contestants.)

Peters
Peters
1 year ago

Oh crap! I want a modern song from Hungary…Italy is still winning in my ranking. Ukraine is just okay and I don’t like her dodgy voice. Denmark is okayish…And Lithuania is sending a repetitive male ballad pop song . Semi 2 is not that stronger, either so far.

BB111
BB111
1 year ago

I love this song. Joci is back with a beautiful Hungarian gypsy ballad.

KuhKatz
KuhKatz
1 year ago

Well, after the top 4 were chosen, I thought that this is an easy win for Joci. Only The Middletonz, Fatal Error or maybe Gergö Szeker (even though I didnt like it) could‘ve challenged him in a public vote. But the other Superfinalists were simply to weak.

Still think that Joci could do well, even if Az en apam is weaker than Origo, but he has the feelings and he can transfer it to the viewer, even if they dont understand the lyrics.

Polegend Godgarina
1 year ago

meh, the juries sabotaged all the good songs anyway but i wish they’d sent someone else

1 year ago

I was worried that they might end up with something worse so am a little relieved.

andrez.
andrez.
1 year ago

His Music is absolutly amazig. First Origo and now this. Even we don´t have all the Songs, from my perspective: he can win. So let´s do this: BUDAPEST 2020

Greatings from Hamburg; Germany

Serge
Serge
Reply to  andrez.

Origo was so much better, I even voted for him back then. This song is just not good enough for the win, sorry.

Oswald
Oswald
Reply to  andrez.

I agree.. at this rate he can actually win the whole thing in Tel Aviv.

Boom Boom Chaka Chaka
Boom Boom Chaka Chaka
Reply to  andrez.

Delusion, convince yourself.

1 year ago

I’ll comment only once, not to repeat myself. 2019 is a fascinating year. It’s worth studying, dissecting and debating around it’s phenomenon. It’s not only a terrible ESC year, but it’s love of mediocrity is beyond equal. It’s mind-boggling how NONE of the national finals managed to pick the best song. Some even picked the blandest one. In short – I am extremely indifferent towards the Danish, Hungarian and Lithuanian winners! They all had songs I was passionate about. So did Estonia, France, Romania and many others. I am angry and sad as I never was in my entire life… Read more »

Reply to  Colin

No, both the public and juries voted for the king of mediocrity.

DenizNL
DenizNL
Reply to  Colin

There are still more than 20 songs to go. WHat if the next 20 are great. I agree with all the lost potential, but there is still some surprises waiting to come.

Reply to  Colin

This is the saddest comment I have ever read on Wiwibloggs. I just want to hold you, Colin. 🙁

Reply to  Purple Mask

Thank you. I means a lot that you are here. Hugs. 🙁

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  Colin

I agree National finals this year made terrible descions. The only countries that picked right are Italy, Slovenia and today Ukraine(also Denmark). So so far I only love these countries + France and Germany are also good. But we have 18 songs from internal selections to come, and I bet lots of them will be great. But yeah agree can’t wait for 2020, and I won’t watch any NF next year(except Melfest)

Reply to  Erasmus

I’ll (kind of) agree with Italy, Slovenia and Ukraine. but coincidentally those were the ones I didn’t follow, so my pre-constructed passion for them isn’t there. But yeah, they are good. Denmark is okay-ish, but it had better choices. Most of them did.

Catriona Colville
Catriona Colville
Reply to  Erasmus

Australia made the right decision too.

Tusán
1 year ago

Dear Catriona, who you kidding?

Reply to  Colin

Colin, I know where all these feelings are coming from. My heart had also been broken more than I was expecting during the last few weeks. But by the little I know about you, I think you’ll let these feelings behind when you have some time to grieve after your favorites loss. I can’t promise you’ll feel better about many songs, because some are indeed bland and also leave me indifferent. But there are some gems that will grow on you. Don’t let juries and televotes ruin some great music and talented artists for you.

Reply to  Sabrina

Thanks for saying that, Sabrina. I know some of these songs are good. I have several of them rated an 8 or 8.5. It means I indeed like them. There are several sevens as well. However, there are more than a dozen songs I rated with more than a 9 and none of them won their respective finals. I have never felt so hollow following national finals. Indeed, there might be growers (Denmark, Czech Republic and Slovenia could go that way), but that’s not the same as if I adored the song from the very first listening. There is not… Read more »

Reply to  Colin

I believe you will regain your joy or at least enough of it, Colin. I feel the curious thing about this season so far is that the weakest entries are better than the bottom entries from previous years, but the strongest are slow burners or still need adjustments. After March 10th, we’ll have some days “off” and we’ll be able to judge the entries for what they are and not for how they upset some of our original favorites.

Reply to  Colin

This usually happens to me, Colin.
I just make a video of my own alternate Eurovision to make myself feel better. 😉 On the plus side, this year, my alternative Eurovision is AMAZING.

Reply to  Briekimchi

Alternative ESC will be epic! 🙂

Reply to  Colin

If you ever make one, let me know…because THAT is something I would watch. 😉

Reply to  Briekimchi

We should all come to Colin’s house for the event. Call it: “Make ESC Great Again”.

Reply to  Purple Mask

I’m not wearing a cap….

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Colin

Oh, no, I feel for you. I know, I’m always team “There is no right choice”, but I’m also team “Everybody deserves at least some of their favorites going through” … Is there nothing left in Portugal or Norway or Iceland …? 🙁

Reply to  Tibor

Thanks, Tibor. Yes, I have favorites in Iceland, Portugal, Norway, even in Sweden. The thing is, I genuinely don’t have any hope for any of them to win. It’s like if someone says that you pick a hand. It might be gold, it might be a slap in the face. For the first 15 times it’s slap in the face. You lose any spark of hope.

Catriona Colville
Catriona Colville
Reply to  Colin

So, whatever you want to win is the right choice, and if the country disagrees, they are wrong? Give it a rest. I’m s glad I’m actually enjoying this year so far, but the endless negativity is ruining it. The fans are the problem, not the songs.

1 year ago

Joci is amazing. I’m relieved for Hungary that they picked well after all those really strange jury choices.

Arnas
Arnas
1 year ago

Lithuania’s circus show of a finale ended. We’re sending Jurijus.

keith mawson
keith mawson
Reply to  Arnas

its very weak, can’t see that qualifying. what a stupid thing to do , Criminal was the best song to go to ESC and she shelved it. Crazy. she was punished in the end for her stupidity and ego.

Kyna
Kyna
1 year ago

I actually like it, finally I have something to put into my top 5 since it has been quite weak selection so far.

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
1 year ago

Let’s not put too much pressure on guy. Not many songs can beat “Origo”, but the fact is, that Joci is still bringing us some folk quality and third Hungarian-language song in the row.

Denis
Denis
1 year ago

Again? With almost the same sound as 2017?
Safe to say he won’t reach the same level he did in 2017

11) FRA
12) CZE
13)-16) who cares

pinkisnotacolour
pinkisnotacolour
1 year ago

I agree with others here that it’s not as good as Origo, but still a really lovely song and I hope it does well. 🙂

Pasadena
Pasadena
1 year ago

It hasn’t been my favourite this year, as compared to Origo it’s inferior. But I have to say in the final it was elevated live, and it was my favourite of the night.

Boom Boom Chaka Chaka
Boom Boom Chaka Chaka
1 year ago

The Hungarian national final was rigged again, gasp.
He might stay in the semi, but good luck.