She has a fire in her chest and will represent Romania at Eurovision in Rotterdam.

And now Roxen has presented a revamped version of her entry “Alcohol You” in her official music video for Eurovision.

The major sonic change comes to the climax and final chorus of the song. If the original studio version left some fans wanting more, the new has been beefed up. In the revamp, “Alcohol You” builds to an explosive ending. Extended notes are added, new strings dial up the urgency and percussion heaps intensity on proceedings. In short it adds oomph, where before some may have found it lacking.

“Alcohol You” music video

The music video begins with a spiralling shot. It zooms to Roxen, juxtaposed against a neon sketch of herself.

The lyrics of the songs swirl around her, with light effects growing as we build to the first chorus. Roxen’s eye contact with the camera is sparing and she only looks down the lens at key moments to heighten intensity.

In the second verse, the neon outline of the Roxen sketch becomes a fixed image. Shimmering lights and smoke effects give the video an almost underwater feel.

Pulsing lights build into the revamped climax. Roxen reaches out to the camera, with a hypnotic stare that almost pierces through to the viewer. She chases the camera as it retreats and her glance lingers as the camera fades to black.

This is a simpler video than other narrative or choreography driven efforts, but it is all the more effective for it. Instead “Alcohol You” and Roxen herself are centre stage.

Romania at Eurovision 2020

Romania has been drawn to compete in the first semi-final.

“Alcohol You” will be performed at some point in the second half. After two years stuck in the semis, Roxen will doubtless be keen to make it to the Grand Final.

What do you make of the revamp? Do you like the music video? Let us know in the comments below!

YOU CAN GET MORE ROMANIA NEWS HERE

Ffs
Ffs

Switzerland and Romania will go for the Trophy ! Best Songs this year !

Adriana
Adriana

Some of the comments here and not only, makes me feel sick to my stomach ,it shows the level of education you received home.You should be ashamed of yourselfs.Grown up adults comenting like that ,im sure your parents must be very proud of you all.Attitude of a child .

Romania

Vous êtes dégueulasses de dire celà la Roumanie à toujours été un pays favorit , méritent même plusieurs fois de gagné a l’Eurovision et si cette année elle peut le faire Roxen est capable de tout cette chanson évoque bcp de choses pour elle , alors avant de critiquer etc.. comprenez la chanson elle est pas enfantine etc.. elle a dû vécu et celà se voie.. bref good Luck m’y country ???

Joe Bradley
Joe Bradley

first she sabotages Cherry Red now trying to change her song. give up you won’t win this year with your crappy vocals and childish lyrics . and in general big child hope she flops and won’t even qualify.

gili
gili

Beautiful song, good luck from israel!!! it is always better to be little bit underdog and surprise in the money time

Titthas
Titthas

Is she the only singer this year singing in cursive?

Dzole
Dzole

I litteraly cant?. When alcohol you won most of the people werent happy and were complaining about how it didnt have a boom moment/cresendo/climax. Now that they added that the most vocal are the comments that say that they wanted the soft emotional ballad and the original. God people..the poort girl doesnt even know what to do now..

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
Reply to  Dzole

I think we just want a happy medium, a balance between monotony and too much crescendo. However, most of us including myself are not musical experts, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Mariko
Mariko

But why?? I loved the soft emotional vibe, now it feels like they added a layer of ‘pain’ but it feels much more fake. Gives me the same feel the live performance had, it was too much, and the simplicity of the song was what sold it for me. Now I for sure prefer Bulgaria.

but the “fake news” is still there #disappointed

Héctor
Héctor

This is how you do a revamp. Potential winner alongside Switzerland, Malta, Australia and Bulgaria.

Mark dowd
Mark dowd
Reply to  Héctor

Australia.. No!

Sam
Sam
Reply to  Héctor

Australia, Norway, Malta and Lithuania

Joe Bradley
Joe Bradley
Reply to  Héctor

good one 😀 winner of Junior Eurovision maybe when the song belongs at.

Harm
Harm

It is still beautiful. I’m in love with this song and can hear it on repeat. Good luck Roxen and Romania.

Alchemist
Alchemist

This is my personal winner. Beautiful melody and distinctive voice, unconventional chorus. I hope it will do well in the competition 🙂

Reply to  Alchemist

It’s my personal winner too 🙂 * AND HOPE IT WILL DO WELL*

EuroSluuuuuutty
EuroSluuuuuutty

Wanna hear a random story about this song?

My sister just got divorced from her husband today after 12 years with no child. It felt sooo heart breaking, i came home opened Youtube and this song was just uploaded on ESC channel. I clicked play and literally started crying to this. This feels so close to my heart right now, i think it’ll forever remind me of this horrible day ughhh.
Sorry for not liking this entry before, this seriously feels special to me now. *starts crying* 🙁

Citizen of Memel
Citizen of Memel

Feels like the climax is forced. Not sure if turning from a ballad to a mid-tempo was actually that good idea. It will struggle to get to the TOP10 now.

Kemama of Czechia’s Ben has been released! Check it out 🙂

Chupacabra
Chupacabra

Still in my top 5. The revamp doesn´t really damage, more a compromise towards ESC.
My top 10: 1) GER 2) LTU 3) GEO 4) ROM 5) BEL 6) BUL 7) ITA 8) MLT 9) ISR 10) SUI

Stan
Stan

Good job with the rewamp, song clearly needed the climax. But it feels a bit unprepared… as if they rushed to make that change. It can be improved so that it’s more smooth. I think the live can be really, really good!!

Adriana
Adriana

So people were complaining that the song has no climax ,now it has and still not happy ,tipical of some Eurovision moaners.

Harm
Harm
Reply to  Adriana

You’re right but climax or not it’s beautiful.

poe-tay-toe chips
poe-tay-toe chips

Man I was hoping they’d change the “fake news” line with the revamp…the song STILL makes me think of Trump.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean

To me, it makes the song more interesting. I wonder if people will badger her with uncomfortable questions about it, though.

I hope not. But she better have a good answer for it. The *fake news* bit can be quite controversial. Both Ester and The Humans gave very bad and cringe interviews. Content-wise. Very basic English skills. I hope she’ll have a qualifed interpreter in case her English is not good. I mean it! I expect quality inteviews from all participants. Because I am a big fan of the contest and I am eager to hear the artists talk. A lot. With nice details. Even a joke or a laugh. Even if this is a song competition, not a language one.

profusioninside
profusioninside

This revamp is misplaced imo. The concept of the song is to be more lyrical so I think a classical instruments or more melody would’ve fit better. But it’s their call. That kind of music or singing is not my thing, but I think Romania still has a big chance to win if the staging passes well. Wish them luck!

Somebody
Somebody

I personally don’t like this song and never understood the hype centered around it.

ImJJ
ImJJ
Reply to  Somebody

We’ve been criminally underrated for 2 years, let us have something now lol

Somebody
Somebody
Reply to  ImJJ

Lol. Not to be a party-buzzer, but heard she lacks vocals to bring the song alive. Is this true?

Reply to  Somebody

@Somebidy – She clearly has the vocals but being in a contest is a different thing. And she carries the burden of representing Romania after two NQ in a row. Give the girl a break, please!!

Somebody
Somebody

What break? I’ll vote for a song in the finals that I deem fit to win. If you’re excusing her for not having the perfect vocals by providing excuses such as burden of representing Romania, that’s not my issue. I want an objective/fair answer: Can she vocally slay this song live or not?

I wasn’t impressed with her videos in YouTube, hence the question. Please stop dramatizing it.

Reply to  Somebody

Oh dear. I was not finding excuses for her in any way. No drama, BLUE HEAVENS! You vote for whatever song or songs you like! I was trying to be positive!!! I have mentioned a few times already that she needs to improve her vocals. Objective observation. Constructive criticism is good. And I can try to give an objective answer to your question. If you believe me or not is not up to me. No need to read between the lines!!! I don’t know how well she will deliver in Rotterdam. What I can say, also objectively, is that she… Read more »

Reply to  ImJJ

@ImJJ – I will start by saying that I support Romania, OK? But the entries of the past two years were not good enough. I think the songs were good – Good Bye and On A Sunday. Cristina’s and Ester’s voices were incredible and their own individual performances very good! But the staging was a mess in 2018 and 2019 and people (televote) did not understand the concepts and the messages! I think that the delegation was very narrow-minded and thought a complex and expensive staging would do good. It didn’t. Two years in a row. Six people on the… Read more »

And one of the ju-ro-rs in the national selection responded to an observation made by another ju-ro-r about Roxen not smiling on Cherry Red. She said that Roxen is a sort of artistic persona and that’s why she didn’t smile. Dear Romanian delegation. Please note that the voting public (and the 40 juries for that matter) will not know that Roxen is an artistic persona. So if she doesn’t engage with the camera a bit or try to convey some emotion, the public will not connect. And the juries might not understand that artistic concept. So proper stage presence is… Read more »

Sal
Sal
Reply to  Somebody

I like the song but I really don’t understand why I do xD

Laurentiu
Laurentiu

this revamp sucks. completely unnecessary.

Film
Film

This climax towards the end feels very forced. Its doesn’t feel genuine to the rest of the song.

Andrei
Andrei

Useless revamp, it won’t qualify either way. It’s just too boring!

ImJJ
ImJJ
Reply to  Andrei

Iesi

Reply to  ImJJ

“Iesi” is the imperative form of the verb “to exit”. Is this rude or not? Addressed to a Romanian sounding name? Andrew in English, to be more precise. The Romanian language is exquisite.

An American ESC Fan
An American ESC Fan
Reply to  Andrei

Out of curiosity, what songs do you like this year? Every single article I see you in, you have nothing but negativity to spew about literally all songs of literally all genres.

EProduc
EProduc

The revamp wasn’t necessary but I don’t mind it, I hope that she will be able to hit those high notes.

musimakeup
musimakeup

Still don’t get the final choice of the song…. really. There were good ones.

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit

The video really works for me. It gave me chills. There’s a Billie Eilish quality to it for me. I think Roxen could win if the stage performance captures the haunting, haunted nature of the song. No smoke machines, no gimmicks. I would have Roxen in the centre with a contemporary dancer.

Fun or ban?
Fun or ban?
Reply to  Jimmy Smit

Roxen needs 5 backing vocals, no dancers, but the graphic from the video and a big piano to sit on like in another version of their videos, and that’s all!

Reply to  Fun or ban?

No dancers. The nightmare of Romania 2019. No. The backings were subpar too last year. For 2020 two backings should be enough. Last year 4 extra people got a free holiday.
But good voices for 2020. Russia got professional Swedish backings last year. Several former backings participated or will participate as main singers this year. Former Yugoslav countries have local backings participating year by year for different countries. Romania needs good, professional backings case needed. The ones in the national final sounded bad. Terrible.

Logical Person
Logical Person

Why did they have to ruin this song too?

Fun or ban?
Fun or ban?
Reply to  Logical Person

Are u a Cherry Red fan?

Romania and Belgium, man. If they can make the final, I’ll be happy as a clam. All I ask.

Reply to  Joe

Lovely rhyme!

Reply to  Joe

7 of my favorites are in the first semi and I’m already trying to get used with the idea that I’ll lose at least 1 or 2 of them, as it usually happens.

Reply to  Sabrina

Belgium, Romania, Australia, Ukraine, and Ireland are giving me worried twinges in my stomach. I’d like a universe where they all make it.

Reply to  Joe

The first 4 you mentioned are my biggest concerns right now. I want them to qualify along with Lithuania, Norway, Israel, Sweden and Malta. And we know one spot is for Russia, I hope they do enough to deserve it.

Reply to  Sabrina

Somebody’s going to be going home that I really don’t want to go home. It’s inevitable now. And I feel like we might not have even a vague idea of whom until the live shows.

aroncido
aroncido

Romania is trying very hard not to qualify, I see.

Kosey
Kosey

Wow, goosebumps, the revamp has elevated it. The more powerful drums and the stronger vocal crescendo really accentuate what was already an emotional song. This is going to be a contender for sure.

IVANOV
IVANOV

Countries wasting their time and money to pay revamps. The winner is already known. #Moscow2021

Reply to  IVANOV

You’re right. Clearly, forcing Russia to enter a competition is unfair since it implies there’s a chance another country could be better. Russia should either pull out so they can’t be beaten or the other countries should pull out so they can’t beat Russia. Only fair. Do you know how Eurovision works?

Mia
Mia
Reply to  IVANOV

Ivanov, are you for real or just trolling? Either way you are pathetic.

An American ESC Fan
An American ESC Fan
Reply to  Mia

If he is a troll, he’s a pretty good one. He was here last year, too, so I have to give him credit for keeping up at it for at least a year.

(That said, if he isn’t…well…)

Fun or ban?
Fun or ban?
Reply to  IVANOV

Haha! As far as I know Russia is hiding their song in the bushes! Keep it there. I will not vote for it! It’s disrespectful to play like that with the fans. Russia brings more strategies than simply to join the party and have a good time! Bye, Russia!

Esc1234
Esc1234

The song is ok but her stage presence was disappointing to say the least. She needs to perform much better

Reply to  Esc1234

Roxen has gone thru her baptism of fire with the national selection. She was on stage, five songs, a million eyes on her, she’s been there, done that. The national final was her first big event, she wasn’t on some reality show such as the voice or the x factor. She did well.

Reply to  Whisker

I think she got more comfortable during the show. Thinking of it as a long game, it was important for her to have that night. If the song was internally selected, it would be very hyped and she would have trouble to match the expectations in Rotterdam. Now she knows what she needs to improve. And I believe she can get there.

Reply to  Sabrina

I believe that too. #roxen2021

Reply to  Whisker

Love this.

Reply to  Sabrina

I hope she will get there with the vocals. And all the package. I have hope. I am so invested in this entry.

The good thing is Roxen is also super invested in it. It seems she won’t have to move much on the stage, so: practice, practice, practice. She has a lovely voice, she just needs more control.

Miss
Miss

Unnecessary revamp. Her accent is too thick, I wish she sung in Romanian. I don’t like the new ending, it somehow doesn’t match the song (and I can sense Eilish’s “Bury a friend” there). I prefer the first version, I could feel it more and it was special. Now, it’s like every other Eurovision song with “somethin big” at the end. I loved the song, now… I don’t know.

Fun or ban?
Fun or ban?

Impactful, beautiful, now the song is fully completed. Well done, Romania!

Karworld
Karworld

It somehow reminds me to the revamp in the Spanish entry by Alfred and Amaia’s two years ago. Same type of Disney song destroyed by the fandom and at least it had a climax. I don’t get the hype now about the Romanian and Bulgarian entries.

The revamp was totally unnecessary, the song has an emotional climax, there was no need for a musical one. I also believe this puts more pressure on Roxen’s shoulders, because she now has a long note to hold. That said, it doesn’t change how much I like it. At the moment, Romania is fighting with Australia for the last spot in my top 10.

Anita
Anita
Reply to  Sabrina

Then I recommend to take Australia instead of Romania 😉

Reply to  Anita

It’s very close to me. Australia has the tiny advantage of being mid-tempo, while I already have 6 ballads in the top 10.

Why is everyone mad at this revamp? I think it’s better.

Myles
Myles

Revamp is much better. The problem I had with this song was that it didn’t go anywhere so this has fixed that for me and it may now be in my top 10. If we’re comparing I still prefer Bulgaria just because of the emotion I get from it, but as this is in a different semi they should both qualify.

As an HUGE fan of the original, i am actually a little dissapointed here. They have made an unique song more predictable, & more «Eurovision ish». I don’t mean this as negative, but taking this orchestra sound in the background & the high note at the end is very «Eurovision». It isn’t bad, like at all, but it isn’t the unique song i loved. I still find it Nice & likeable, and it is definitly in my top 10, but it’s not as unpredictable & cool as it used to be, & that is sad.. But i still hope for… Read more »

Anita Mann
Anita Mann
Reply to  Joe

Oh I agree with you, now all they need to do to make it more of a spectacle is bring a wind machine!

Nicolas
Nicolas

It’s better and less boring.

noone
noone

I prefer the old version, but I can see this revamped version doing better at ESC.

Reply to  noone

IMO the first version is more radio-friendly so to speak, then this one might be more impacting when visuals/live performance are in play.

Reply to  Whisker

I hope so.

dxi
dxi

This did’t need a revamp

Oh Romania. My dear Romania. I liked your song better before the revamp. It moved my soul. It impressed me. I rooted for Alcohol You to win the Romanian final. I adored the performance of Alcohol You on 1st of March. You made me so happy 🙂 I don’t know what to think. Producers/broadcaster/Roxen must have thought the song needed a change with the climax. Was it because the comments before Bulgaria released their song? Is it because you needed something different from Bulgaria, should both countries qualify from their semis? OMG Romania! Your song was *perfect*. But I still… Read more »

I think this song is a masterpiece regardless. These 15 seconds being a bit louder make no difference to me, quality-wise. I love this song so much and will vote for it regardless. Was this “revamp” needed? Not at all. But is it still beautiful? IMHO, a resounding Yes! 🙂

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean
Reply to  Colin

How do you view Bulgaria compared to Romania?

That’s a really good question, Mr Vanilla Bean. I don’t think they are that similar, apart from both being slower, more atmospheric and having alcohol-related titles. The more I listen to them, the more I see the melodies as different. I really love both of these songs. At this point, Romania is slightly higher on my preliminary list, but that doesn’t have to remain the case in a month or so. Bulgaria’s song is like a dark lullaby I am still discovering. I wouldn’t be surprised if either of them won this year.

Reply to  Colin

That was nice to read, Colin 🙂

Thank you. 🙂

Mia
Mia

Completely unnecessary and weird ending, it ruins the vibe of the song. If you decide to go with song like this, just stick to that, you don’t need “dramatic ending” to please everyone (because that’s impossible) and to be more “eurovision-ish”.. Ending made to fit some flashy staging completely different to this vibe.. Shame, I loved this song so much.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean

One of the better entries this year. I’m probably influenced by the alcohol word play and the fake news line, though.

Victoria >>>> Roxen

TBH, it’s basically the exact same song with a slight power-up before the end. The final verse “I will call you when I’m strong” is intact, which is important for the message. I like it just the same. Romania has something special and beautiful in their hands. I hope this does well!

Anita Mann
Anita Mann
Reply to  Colin

I wouldn’t call that major power-up ‘slight’. It just messes with the flow of the song.

Ohi
Ohi

How to ruin a song in two weeks

Polliu
Polliu

It’s a whole different song with the last chorus and I doubt she could pull it off easily with that live based on her horrendous performances in the national selection.

Adriana
Adriana
Reply to  Polliu

The only horrendous thing is your comment..I watched Romania final on youtube and it was nothing horrendous the way she sang.Music experts and fans across Europe say shes got a nice voice ,but hey if is not Cherry Red what else?lol

Polliu
Polliu
Reply to  Adriana

Yeah right. Cherry Red sucked live! Storm sounded like a trainwreck when she hit the chorus.

LinusESCfan
LinusESCfan
Reply to  Polliu

the strange thing in the romanian final was that she sang this song better then the others. Seems that she ONLY wanted to sing this. I think that is bad against the songwriters

Adriana
Adriana
Reply to  LinusESCfan

I tend to believe that she sang this song better because the romanian fans wanted this song to win.