She’s the singer that brought Cyprus its best-ever result at Eurovision 2018. And ever since the Mediterranean island confirmed that it was parting ways with its 2020 performer Sandro, momentum has started to build around a potential Eleni Foureira comeback.

However, CYBC has now quenched the spark, denying that the “Fuego” hitmaker has been approached for Eurovision 2021.

Cyprus denies that Eleni Foureira has been approached for Eurovision 2021 comeback

The rumour mill started to spin in earnest when the Cypriot blog SHOWTIME reported that the Greek-Albanian singer had been invited to represent Cyprus in Rotterdam next year.

The claim quickly spread on social media, including on the “Eurovision Fans” Facebook page. However, within an hour of the page’s post, CYBC had issued a denial.

CYBC: Eurovision Cyprus — the network’s official Eurovision Facebook page — left the following comment on the “Eurovision Fans” post.

Hi everyone. No proposals were made yet. Our very best wishes for a happy and relaxing summer to all of you!

Foureira fans needn’t give up hope though. Note the TV station says “no proposals were made yet”.

The possibility of an Eleni return isn’t ruled out — there’s still a long way to go until Eurovision 2021.

Eleni Foureira and Cyprus

Eleni Foureira took Cyprus all the way to second place at Eurovision 2018 in Lisbon. The Alex P. written “Fuego” was a firm fan favourite and became the song of the summer, especially in Greece and Spain. It was even featured in Netflix’s soapy teen drama Elite.

Eleni has continued to drop hits, while also retaining close ties with Eurovision. She’s appeared as a guest at national selections in Iceland, Albania and Spain and performed alongside numerous song contest icons during the Switch Song interval at Eurovision 2019 in Tel Aviv.

She has not responded to the social media speculation surrounding 2021.

Would you like to see Eleni return to Eurovision? Let us know in the comments.

Follow all of our Cyprus Eurovision 2021 news.

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
12 days ago

We want Ivi Adamou!

paul
paul
21 days ago

I suspect shes coming back.I know the cypriots well they are a very kind decent people and despite the weakness of the sandro “song” I suspect someone is in mind (if not eleni),when he was replaced next year,they wouldnt have done that otherwise.Although I am glad they did,sandro was a non starter

Eurolover
Eurolover
22 days ago

Good, Eleni already had her chance. Also I would like to see a Cypriot artist for 2021, though I know it most likely won’t happen. However if they don’t select a Cypriot artist, I think they should send Crystallia or Josephine, they’re both great singers, and both tried to represent Greece in 2014 (but lost to that trash Rise Up song) so why not?

Last edited 22 days ago by Eurolover
21 days ago
Reply to  Eurolover

If what happened this year as per what Sandro said in the interview with Nikkie happened in the past years too, I think Cyprus need private moneies and that the artist comes with the moneies. Or some strings attached. Milanov also said that Bulgaria was going to participate this year because the artist had manage to come with a sponsor. They skipped last year. I am not quating either but the information was publicly available on the official ESC channel and the wiwi channel. It must be heartbreaking for Cypriot artists to see foreigners representing their country three years in… Read more »

Iván el Conquistador
Iván el Conquistador
22 days ago

I want Eleni to return so she can have her revenge, but in order to achieve that, it must be a track as danceable and rhythmic as Fuego. Only then she can win.   But sincerely, I’d rather see her in 2022. 2021 is full of artists who placed well in the odds for 2020 like Roxen, Gjon’s Tears, Victoria and Destiny and we still don’t know about certain countries who haven’t confirmed the artists they’ll send (for example, we don’t know if Russia will send Little Big). Besides, UK, Portugal, Lithuania, Finland or Sweden might send artists and songs… Read more »

Sgf Sgf
Sgf Sgf
22 days ago

Well if Eleni Foureira and Sandro won’t represent Cyprus next year, there must be a Plan B.

Sgf Sgf
Sgf Sgf
22 days ago
Reply to  Sgf Sgf

And I’m talking about Josephine, Christiana Loizu, Sophia Pathsalides, Vangelis Kakouriotis, Ian Stratis, Elena Tsagkrinou, Marios Tofi, and other Greek artists from Greece (mostly) and Cyprus.

Peter
Peter
23 days ago

Not gonna happen. Just some wiwibloggers’ wet dream. She’d be crazy to take part again. Everybody knows her dance routine by now.

Pineaple
Pineaple
23 days ago

So it seems like a male act for Cyprus is completely out of the question then? Eleni and Ivi have had their chance. I would like to see someone new.

MINDYOURBUSSINESS
MINDYOURBUSSINESS
23 days ago
Reply to  Pineaple

Eleni Should comeback whenever she feels like

Pineaple
Pineaple
21 days ago

People need to stop acting like Eleni is god on earth. She’s not and although she is a lovely person, I dont think it’s at all fair to Sandro or to any other artist who could represent Cyprus for the broadcaster to chuck them all away for Eleni in a desperate attempt to win with Fuego 3.0. Cyprus can do better than that.

Darren
Darren
24 days ago

Guarantee she will be back in 2021.
It’s as obvious as the sun rising tomorrow morning. (Although, this is 2020!).
Sandro was simply a placeholder. This was very clear.

paul
paul
21 days ago
Reply to  Darren

correct. I said last week someone else was in mind for cyprus. Think cybc wanted it to be a surprise later in the year hence the “no propasal yet”

Zekira
Zekira
24 days ago

It would be as risky as if Elvana Gjata tried for a second time to win Albanian national final. Another loss would be a despair. It was just a missed opportunity (For Eleni to win the ESC 2018 with Fuego and for Elvana to win Fik 58 with Me Tana) and we have to agree with it. :/ (Tho I would like both of them to win the Eurovision one day)

Ashton
Ashton
23 days ago
Reply to  Zekira

Just looking at the word Elvana makes me upset because then I remember how robbed Me Tana was….oh well, I still hope Arilena gets reselected for 2021 because that’s only fair.

Sgf Sgf
Sgf Sgf
22 days ago
Reply to  Ashton

That would be possible if Festivali I Kenges would happen next year cause Albania always use Festivali I Kenges every year since their debut in 2004.

Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno
24 days ago

I don’t know how capable she is of winning the contest
I would, however, really like to see that 🙂

adctucker
adctucker
24 days ago

Where there’s smoke, there’s fuego

24 days ago

Dima Bilan and Linda Martin are two previous runners-up who later went on to win – it’s been done before, it can happen again!

23 days ago
Reply to  Jonas

But consider: Dima Bilan’s winner is a song that pretty much everybody in the fandom dislikes and Linda Martin still waited eight years to come back. You’ve gotta give people time to miss you, AND you’ve gotta make sure the comeback is 1/100000th as good as the original.

23 days ago
Reply to  Jonas

IDK. Dima was from the ex Soviet block and Russia really wanted to win. Which they did for the first time. With the participation of an Olympic figure skating champion. And that of a virtuoso of the violin. And then Moscow made a show that established the technical bar for consequent editions albeit not to the same grand scale as in Moscow.
Linda represented Ireland in their golden years. With an already established and previous winner of Eurovision. For Ireland though.
We live in very different Eurovision times. And who knows what will happen next year?

24 days ago

Everyone just wants another Fuego. We have Fuego. Be happy with Fuego. Let another artist have a chance.

Aris
Aris

We want her back !
Yeah yeah fire

24 days ago

Very disappointed in Cyprus dropping Sandro as if he were a hot potato. Anyways, I’m here with my popcorn.

24 days ago

I’m ready for Eleni as long as it’s a song called “Ice”! Just joking. I love Eleni, she seems super-professional and a hard-worker too. And not one arrogant bone in her. She delivered an amazing performance with Fuego and considering that before the shows some people were saying she couldn’t sing… She’s amazing.

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Whisker

Shouldn’t it be called Hielo? But regardless, Eleni could come back and I wouldn’t be mad at all. She was my 2018 winner and deserves to win one day.

Reply to  Ashton

Oh yes good call, how silly of me. It should be called Hielo!

Eurovision fan
Eurovision fan
24 days ago

I would love to see her competing again and actually winning it, but it’s very risky. She definetly wouldn’t come back to be 3rd or 5th and she herself declared in some Wiwibloggs interview in Albania during Fik 58 that it’s very hard to do Eurovision again

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA
24 days ago

As much as I love Fuego I think it’s too soon for Eleni to do Eurovision again. Besides, trying to match or surpass Fuego would be a very tall order.

No No Fire
No No Fire
24 days ago

The headline for this killed me.

VlaD
VlaD
24 days ago

She will be stupid to go again. Being 2nd or 1st is almost impossible, so why should she risk the hype around her name?

Reply to  VlaD

No, she wouldn’t be “stupid” to go again. If Eleni has a good song and herself and the broadcaster believe in it – and I am pretty sure that was the case with Fuego, then go for it.

paul
paul
21 days ago
Reply to  Whisker

dima bilan helena paparaziou and linda martin took the risk on second time and it paid off. Eleni didint actually win the contest either,so its hardly a risk,and if the song is of a good enough quality why not? So long as its not another alexander rybak fiasco why he returned with that rubbish a few years ago after his spectacular win is anyones guess

24 days ago

It almost makes too much sense. She’s kept really close ties with the contest since competing and obviously, if she were available, Cyprus would be mad to pass her up. The broadcaster being so quick to cut ties with Sandro also suggests that they have something lined up and maybe, always did have something lined up for 2021.

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  Briekimchi

Yeah it’s either Eleni or Ivi, but I think it’s Ivi since she wanted to do it, but wanted to be with her baby..

paul
paul
21 days ago
Reply to  Briekimchi

true,they had something or someone in mind when sandro was dropped,although I agree with the decision to drop sandro regardless

Erasmus
Erasmus
24 days ago

I find it interesting that they “denied” it so soon, makes it more suspicious imo. But tbh I think it will be Ivi Adamou, which is still amazing! Next year is going to be strong af.

Cocooo
Cocooo
Reply to  Erasmus

Josephine could also be a possibility, she’s released some major hits in both Greece and Cyprus, and tried to compete for Greece in 2014.

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  Cocooo

True forgot about her!

Sgf Sgf
Sgf Sgf
22 days ago
Reply to  Cocooo

And some of her songs are featured in Ideal Song Contests too.