The Czech Republic has shut schools, bars and clubs. Hospitals in the French capital Paris could have 90% of their intensive care beds filled by the end of next week. And Germany’s Chancellor Angela Merkel has said she is “watching with great concern” as the pandemic continues across Europe. That’s after Germany reported more than 5,000 new cases of coronavirus for the first time since April.

Across the continent, countries once again find themselves battling a sharp rise in Covid-19 cases. That includes Eurovision 2021 host country The Netherlands. The city of Rotterdam has moved into a partial lockdown after the country’s recent measures failed to curb a local surge. Although the number of COVID-19 cases decreased throughout the summer, the Netherlands has recorded an increase over the past few weeks. As a result, the country remains one of the worst affected in Europe at the moment.

Following the surge, the Dutch government announced several new measures on 13 October. Cafés and restaurants must close and the sale and public possession of alcohol is banned after 8pm. In addition, theatres and music venues are not allowed to have an audience of more than thirty people.

Rotterdam enters partial lockdown amid surge in cases

Rotterdam and the broader Rotterdam-Rijnmond area has been one of the worst-hit areas of the Netherlands. As a result, officials moved the region of Rotterdam-Rijnmond into the “Zeer ernstig” (“Very alarming”) alert level. That’s the worst category in the Dutch tier system. Other large Dutch cities such as Utrecht, The Hague and Amsterdam were also moved into this category.

Health Minister Hugo de Jonge suggested that the partial lockdown would probably last for four weeks. In two weeks time, the Dutch government plans to potentially revise and adjust the restrictions as necessary. This could mean that the country or parts of the country could potentially move to a total lockdown if the situation does not improve.

What does this mean for Eurovision 2021?

It’s obviously way too early to make any prediction or to forecast what this means for Eurovision 2021. The song contest is still more than half a year away and, as we’ve all seen, this pandemic changes week-to-week and day-by-day. This much is certain: The COVID-19 crisis is far from over.

Thankfully, the team behind Eurovision 2021 have been working with this in mind for months. Back in September, the organising committee presented four different scenarios for hosting the contest in Rotterdam, reminding us all of their commitment to make sure Eurovision happens one way or another.

Even so, it is understandable that many fans believe the likelihood of Scenario A — a full-scale Eurovision with audience as normal — has decreased in light of recent events.

Scenario A would, of course, become much more likely if a COVID-19 vaccine is in widespread use in early 2021. Vaccine development continues across the world — but having a vaccine by the spring is in no way guaranteed. In recent days two promising vaccine trials — including one run by pharma giant Johnson & Johnson — have been suspended following safety concerns.

During a press conference of 13 October, the Dutch Health Minister predicted that a vaccine would be rolled out at the earliest in Spring 2021, and only for the most vulnerable people in the first stages.

For detailed information about the coronavirus/COVID-19 and how to stay healthy, please visit The World Health Organisation web site.

Be sure to follow the latest developments in your area and adhere to local guidance from health officials and the government. If you experience any symptoms of COVID-19, arrange a test if possible and restrict your movements.

Read all our Eurovision 2021 news here.

Cameron
Cameron
8 days ago

After reading the comments I am surprised that people still think scenario A is an option because it obviously isn’t. Over here in UK they say that they won’t have a vaccine until 2021 and mass vaccination will take about a year.

Hate me for it but I think that scenario C is on the way

7 days ago
Reply to  Cameron

The ebu said that scenario A could be done also by a reliable rapid corona test which is being tested at events nowadays so if hopefully everything goes right with it scenario A will be able happen.

Cameron
Cameron
7 days ago

It won’t, it just won’t there is no way that a vaccination programme will be completed by May 2021. As I said, here in UK they say normal life will not resume until Autumn 2021

7 days ago
Reply to  Cameron

Did you actually read what I wrote? I talked about a rapid corona testing, not vaccination (unfortunately, I also think that wide vaccination won’t be before 2021 and will be at least for the richer part of the world in late 2021). and the ebu and many eurovision websites say that scenario A is likely to happen if things go well with the rapid corona testing.

Cameron
Cameron
7 days ago

I doubt rapid testing will happen either, put it this way, scenario A is extremely unlikely to happen and with travel restrictions most likely being in place in 2021, scenario C is the most likely option

7 days ago
Reply to  Cameron

You can stay negativd like that if you want. I prefer to be positive and hopeful about scenario A. Tbh, I’m so tired that the whole wiwibloggs posts comment section is full of negativity and pessimism, I guess I will go to give positive vibes and hope in other places (I miss so much the old days when we were arguing about our favourites, national finals, and which songs should qualify to the final and not about will eurovision take place and how it will).

Cameron
Cameron
7 days ago

It’s not being negative, it’s being realistic

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
7 days ago
Reply to  Cameron

LET THEM CANCEL EUROVISION 2021, EVERYONE IS TO BLAME, AND THE AUTHORITIES ARE TO BLAME!!

Nicky
Nicky
8 days ago

my region Eindhoven has like 43 cases by 100.000 people so that is not really horrible but also not where you want to be, since you want to be at 0 cases

worst of my province brabant are Breda, Tilburg, Veldhoven, Best in terms of cases

9 days ago

I’ve thought about a way to do scenario A, this way is possible if there are both approved vaccine and rapid covid test before May 2021. Once there is an approved vaccine the ebu should contact with the company of the vaccine to give them an amount of the vaccine to vaccinate the important parts of the show (the ebu workers, martin, bakker, the hosts, duncan, the delegations from all of the countries etc), I think it’s a few thousands to vaccinate so even if it’s not enough to start a wide vaccination so at least the show will be… Read more »

Hello
Hello
9 days ago

You can’t be serious .. that would never happen .. Eurovision 2021 will not take place in Rotterdam .. it will be same format as JESC 2020

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
Reply to  Hello

Don’t talk nonsense!

Nicky
Nicky
9 days ago

Option C/D is still kinda interesting, and most countries have capable enough venues i think for ESC

only Bulgaria is a unknown for me if they got something for Victoria but i’m sure they do

Reply to  Nicky

They’re not capable if we compare the venues to the amazing Rotterdam staging. If one of these options is picked (which I hope is not) so the countries that won’t perform in Rotterdam will come to prerecord the performances there on the Rotterdam staging (like in jesc this year)

Nicky
Nicky

”amazing rotterdam staging” lmao

nothing is amazing about this trash country netherlands

Reverb
Reverb
9 days ago

Such a good troll comment! Well done.

Nicolas
Nicolas
9 days ago

Cancel it already. This will be a joke of Eurovision anyway with recorded backvocals.

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
Reply to  Nicolas

Don’t talk nonsense!

Joseph Mendy
Joseph Mendy
8 days ago
Reply to  Nicolas

Can we cancel your nonsensical comment instead.

HarpyDarper
HarpyDarper
9 days ago

Very concerning news, especially as I wanted the Netherlands to host a contest (and attend it) for so many years now (I used to live there). I’m not optimistic about a scenario A right now. At least they held that celebration concert last year, maybe that’ll be the closest thing we’ll have to a ‘normal’ hosting experience for NL.

Is the Ahoy still being used as a hospital? Excellent coverage by the way.

Reply to  HarpyDarper

Ahoy is not a hospital anymore since July and tbh, I doubt it’ll be again

Tusan
Tusan
8 days ago
Reply to  HarpyDarper

I’m a bit shocked at how a lot of you guys still consider Plan A an option. Do you read the news, the statistics? It’s not gonna happen.

Azaad
Azaad
9 days ago

I think if they have an audience, it’ll likely be confined to Dutch or even Rotterdam residents. However, a lockdown now will save lives and reduce the public health crisis in the long term. I just hope those affected by the lockdowns have been provided some level of economic support and are given some mental help support as well.

Lujxk
Lujxk

I just want to say, I can’t handle another year without Eurovision. Bye

Reply to  Lujxk

I guess you didn’t read the 4 scenarios

Hello
Hello

It will be the same format as JESC 2020 .. not interested in that at all

Nicky
Nicky
Reply to  Hello

still better than being cancelled again

and don’t be too negative, even in those options EBU and our delegation will guide all countries through this process

9 days ago

I’m kind of losing faith at the moment. Why don’t people respect the rules? The rules are no brainer, but then. Also, will this situation influence the creative process of the 2021 entries? Are we going to see crystal masks on dancers? Are we going to listen to sad lyrics? I hope not. I want double the fun since we didn’t have 2020. #doublethefun2021

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Whisker

A lot of people can’t comply with stay home orders if they don’t have financial support. I think it’s less of a problem in The Netherlands than in a country like the USA, but it’s still apparent. In most countries, the virus has disproportionately affected marginalised communities.

8 days ago
Reply to  Azaad

Those people *do* have a brain. Those who are reckless, don’t!

Neil
Neil
9 days ago

Let us not forget that Robin and Demi ( Both in Junior Songfestival ) have gotten COV-ID.
This is happening to little kids! I hope that you all stay safe.

( Do not know the status of them right now though )

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
Reply to  Neil

Don’t worry it’s not like they were extremely sick at the time. Covid can be dangerous but most people might not even notice they carry the virus at all. Hence why it is so hard to contain.

Neil
Neil
Reply to  Frisian esc

Totally agree with you

Lorenzo Celli
Lorenzo Celli
9 days ago

The situation sure is worrying, but I think there is much more preparation to face the pandemic, and I ain’t giving up on my hope to have a Eurovision show as close to normality as possible.

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
9 days ago

Healthcare Expert Says Concerts Won’t Return Until “Fall 2021 at the Earliest”

Last edited 9 days ago by Hyunwoo
Reply to  Hyunwoo

“experts”, really, no one can predict what will happen with the pandemic (and have you paid attention to when this article was published?)

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Hyunwoo

And how exactly do they predict that? It’s not scientific, is it? It is the same generic statement when “experts” predict end of cinemas..

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
9 days ago

In the Netherlands forgot how to treat?! Call colleagues from other countries where people are treated and there is no such mortality!

Erasmus
Erasmus

Better now than in March! 🙂

9 days ago

The contest is still seven months away. Gotta wait and see how the situation develops. I just want a show that is fair to all. Even a stripped-down, minimalistic one. Keeping my fingers crossed for everyone who is working on it to make us rejoyce in our Eurovision.

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
9 days ago

Well, the issue isn’t the show itself, more the size of the audience. It will be interesting to see how things go with JESC, with some countries filming their performances in Warsaw, others doing it at a local studio.

9 days ago

Hi Robyn! I don’t mind lack of audience. My biggest concern is about the health of the artists and delegations and producers and hosts and EB0U that all other people work on Eurovision. Stay at home or travel – health risk is there.
Anyway, I do look forward to what will be happening with JESC. Much smaller scale than the big contest but some lessons to learn for sure.

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
9 days ago

It’s definitely a valid point, Una, with the different scenarios on the table. Making the production as fair as possible for all contestants will be an issue I’m sure the organisers are paying attention to. I’m sure everyone working on it wants Eurovision to happen just as much as us, and to have as big an audience as possible, both in the arena/studio and at home/on screen.