Which Blas Canto song is your favourite?

Following the cancellation of Eurovision last year, the majority of the class of 2020 received the comeback ticket to sing again at Eurovision 2021. A massive 26 artists will return to represent their countries at Eurovision 2021. But as per the standard Eurovision rules, they’ve all got new songs.

Thus, comparisons to their previous entries are inevitable. So, we want to hear from our readers. We’re running a series of polls to ask — do you prefer the returning artists’ 2020 or 2021 songs?

Today, we’re saying hola and taking a look at Spain. In 2020, Blas Cantó was set to take “Universo” to Rotterdam. This year, he’ll be singing “Voy a Quedarme” at Eurovision 2021. But which song is your favourite? Vote in our poll now!

Scroll down to vote in our poll.

“Universo” (Spain 2020)

Blas Cantó was internally selected to represent Spain at Eurovision 2020 with the song “Universo”. A mid-tempo ballad, the Spanish star sang about his inner battles to lead an authentic life and not hide part of himself away.

The Wiwi Jury — our in-house panel of music unprofessionals — awarded “Universo” an average score of 6.25/10. Wiwiblogger Pablo had this to say in his review of the song:

“This is… interesting, meaning that there is a lot to unpack and digest here. “Universo” has a lot of unusual elements and hooks all across its three minutes, but nothing is outright bad or even objectable. Once you get over said elements, you get to really see a polished, well-sung and engaging song. The fact that it took repeat listens to enjoy this could have been a crux for the song.”

“Voy a Quedarme” (Spain 2021)

Blas was re-selected by Spanish broadcaster RTVE for Eurovision 2021. However, this time the public got a say in which song he would perform at the contest. Blas sang two songs at Destino Eurovisión and it was “Voy a Quedarme” that emerged victorious.

A ballad that builds throughout its three minutes, this song sees Blas singing to his loved one and promising to stay forever no matter what the conditions are.

Poll battle — Spain: Which Blas Cantó entry do you prefer?

In this poll, you can only vote for one song — so choose wisely. And as always, you can only vote once. Let the battle commence!

Which Blas Cantó Eurovision song did you vote for? Are you team “Universo” or team “Voy a Quedarme”? Sound off in the comments below!

Vote in more Eurovision polls here

PP77
PP77

2020

Savvas
Savvas

Uni-Universo

It was better by all means. Not a terrific song, but this year I think Spain went downhill. Universo had a catchy chorus at least.

notyourtoy
notyourtoy

Universo was majestic. The 2021 song isn’t bad, but I personally don’t prefer it. That’s why Spain is one of my biggest downgrade from 2020 alongside Portugal

Ende
Ende

He is hot and talented !

Universo by far. I really liked it. This year’s song will flop unfortunately. It goes nowhere and even Spanish speakers don’t like it (it hasn’t entered the Spanish charts)

Fabrizio
Fabrizio

My choice is Voy a Quedarme.

I would have preffered “more spanish” entries from him (like “Él no soy yo” or some other amazing Blas songs), but I like both. When I understood the lyrics of “Voy a Quedarme” it felt different on me, and I almost cry every time I listen to it. Also his voice fits perfectly to the song.

I really hope Spain reaches a good position this year

An American ESC Fan
An American ESC Fan

I voted “Voy a quedarme”. I wasn’t a fan of “Universo”, so there was some process of elimination, but I actually do like this year’s entry. It feels genuine and has good meaning behind the lyrics.

Last edited 3 months ago by An American ESC Fan
dfafa
dfafa

I am surprised people prefer Universo

Fabrizio
Fabrizio
Reply to  dfafa

“anti-ballad team” I guess

Vytautas
Vytautas

Memoria >> Voy a quedarme >> Universo, though all of them are very mediocre. I still hope that one day Spain will send some reggaeton (something that Maluma, Nicky Jam or Natti Natasha would sing), which would return Spain in the TOP10 or higher. Until then, Spain is a good filler for the bottom 5.

Reply to  Vytautas

OMG! Reggeaton is the worst music gender ever created, mostly with awful unrespectful lyrics. I guess young crowd prefer that, but that would fill my bottom 5, whereas now it is in my top 5. Did you ever heard the word quality?

Jamie
Jamie
Reply to  Vytautas

Please leave reggeaton to Melfest.

juju
juju
Reply to  Vytautas

THEY ARE NOT FROM SPAIN!!!!!!

Baby
Baby

People are way too into the odds, and other than the winner theyre almost never right. In 2018 greece was a favourite to win and didnt even qualify, in 2019 france was predicted to be top 5 and didnt even crack the top 15

Vytautas
Vytautas
Reply to  Baby

Yes, the odds should not be trusted since it’s only an indication for whom people bet the most. So if French people are betting highly on Barbara Pravi, it doesn’t necessarily mean that Barbara will actually be a contender for the trophy. The same goes for Maltese, Swiss, Spaniards, etc. Literally, it means nothing as betmakers are currently only betting to raise the hype around their countries but it will drift harshly once rehearsals will start.

Reply to  Vytautas

ESC odds are banned in Spain. So Spaniards cannot hype any entry through the odds.

Last edited 3 months ago by karworld
dfafa
dfafa
Reply to  karworld

WTF?? Since when?

Reply to  dfafa

Since always. Only sport bets are allowed in Spain

Miss Uncongeniality
Miss Uncongeniality

I can’t see the option “none”… sorry but even i really like Blas as a singer and performer…both songs are absolutely bad

karworld

Bad, you mean in terms of quality or that it’s not the type of music you like to hear?

American Boy
American Boy

Universo grew on me a lot. Voy A Quedarme, on the other hand, got worse and worse the more I listened to it.

Yudhistira Mahasena
Reply to  American Boy

Why would you say that to this year’s Spanish entry? “Voy a quedarme” has a deep meaning. It’s about Blas’ father and grandmother, who both passed away last year. He dedicated the song to them.

Also I don’t understand why they make his high note towards the end of the song a meme. It’s making fun of his emotions.

Ende
Ende

Maybe because this is what he feels ?

destiny stan account
destiny stan account

sorry people are writing articles about the bookie’s favorite instead of someone who’s next to last in the odds???

karworld

You shouldnt foster an entry just because of money does, one reason or another. Many hype a song to collect profits and that’s not what ESC is about. They should be banned, un my opinion, as already in many countries

Mircs
Mircs

For me it’s absolutely “Voy a quedarme”. I couldn’t stand “Universo” even though it wasn’t bad at all but I always had the feeling that it was too overproduced and lacked any form of authenticity or emotion but rather was written to succeed. In regard to this “Voy a quedarme” total plays the emotional card and remembers me of some intro song of a telenovela. The only thing I don’t acutally like is – and sadly that only came after his live performance – is the monotonous backing vocal (“mamama mamama ey”) which isn’t that loud in the studio track… Read more »

Martin
Martin
Reply to  Mircs

I hope he will not have that shouty backing vocals in Rotterdam, it ruined the whole song.

Last edited 3 months ago by Martin
Mircs
Mircs
Reply to  Martin

It did indeed. Let‘s see what he has changed! Hoping for the best.

Martin
Martin
Reply to  Mircs

I also hope for the Best, this song is one of my favourites this year.

Mircs
Mircs
Reply to  Martin

I can see that. I also like it a lot!

Gurl
Gurl

I believe Spain will place (much) higher than most expect. Especially if they go down the emotional road – the staging can’t be too subtle, though. More like “what would Russia or Ukraine do?” Something big and emotional, to have everyone sobbing.

“Universo” is better than “Voy a querdarme”. They had 20 or so songs to choose from this year? Right.

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina

spillage in the village

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina

if you guys added a “neither” option, it would landslide. happy easter everyone btw !

Baby
Baby

I always see you hating on spain no matter the entry, why do you hate spain so much, did a spanish person break your heart or sumn?

Reply to  Baby

Haha great answer. I was thinking the same. You might not like his songs, but could at least appreciate when there is an artistic work behind

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  karworld

and that’s why i don’t appreciate these songs

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  Baby

nah nothing against spain the songs are just consistently bad

Héctor
Héctor

“Voy a quedarme” has grown on me, so I definitely pick this one. It has a clear message behind and the style of the song is more similar to what Blas is used to sing. It needs a superb staging to outstand though and be careful with the backvocals.

James
James

Both songs are good and have their strengths as well as weakness, but as I’ve put myself in a rabbit hole of listening to telenovela theme songs as of late, the latest being Pablo Alborán (check out “Saturno” on Spotify), so “Voy a Quedarme” gets my vote.

Ivar
Ivar

Both are weak, but I still prefer “Universo”

Kenny03
Kenny03

I was fairly ambivalent to high when they were released. But voy a quedarme has really grown on me since the music video and the message of the song has been explained. I feel with the right staging this could do okay 🙂

Eugenie
Eugenie

I’m not a big fan of the pop-genre he sings in, but I like male voices like that, because they’re incredibly hot. And, of course it’s only my opinion, “Universo” is better. It’s more catchy.

Lolalola
Lolalola

Universo is enjoyable to listen to, voy a quedarme is unbearable..

Kristian
Kristian

The pictures taken for the songs , have a very weird staring look . Is that intentional ?

Blas is, along with Senhit, the most improved one this year. Universo was a polished empty shell. Nice hook with little substance. Voy a quedarme is well written, sentimental and it feels intimate. So, 2021 song wins this for me by a long shot.

Berco
Berco

As a Spanish learner, I have been listening Blas’ songs for years and I actually really enjoy them! But his Eurovision songs lack something that prevents them being finished. His other songs in previous albums are super catchy and polished. I wish he could show his potential with more powerful songs, but anyways good luck Blas!

eurovis.emu
eurovis.emu
Reply to  Berco

yeah i checked out his other songs when he was announced to participate for spain last year and they’re really good! i hope eurofans will give them a chance since universo and voy a querdame aren’t the strongest