TIX wins MGP

The date of the grand final of Melodi Grand Prix 2022 has been confirmed. Norway will select its Eurovision 2022 act on Saturday, 19 February.

Norway’s Head of Delegation Stig Karlsen confirmed the news to Norwegian Eurovision site ESC Norge.

As in 2020 and 2021, the contest will air on six consecutive Saturdays. Semi-Final 1 kicks it all off on 15 January.

Curiously, Stig did not confirm the exact format of the show. Over the past two years the semi-finals involved four acts competing in two duels. The winner of each duel then faced off in a final duel to see who would advance to the grand final, where they faced off against the other acts that qualified to the final and a series of “pre-qualified” artists who did not have to compete in the semis.

This year the show also included a second chance round, which produced one of the strongest line-ups of the season.

Norway was one of the first countries to confirm for Eurovision 2022, announcing the song submission process way back in May. And it’s clear that Stig is very excited.

He spent last week attending The Woods Norway songwriting camp, which he detailed on his Instagram.

“This week I moved my office to the small town of Rena for our annual songwriting camp with the amazing people at @thewoodsnorway,” he wrote.

“I had the privilege to spend a week with 60 talented songwriters, producers and artist at our two MGP camps, resulting in 33 songs that will be evaluated and considered for MGP 2022. I was there, doing my best to inspire, guide and support the group throughout the week.”

“I’m blown away by their talent, their work ethic and their ability to come up with amazing material within a rather short time frame. Norwegian music is in a good state at the moment, and it’s an honor to give the spotlight to some of the fantastic people that gives us the soundtrack to our lives.”

Back in May, NRK said that any participant could submit up to three songs. NRK also “recommended” that the submitted entries have at least one Norwegian composer, as they want to promote local music. Acts that follow the recommendation have performed well of late: their five most recent entries have been completely created and performed by Norwegian nationals.

Stig added that they’re “open to every kind of music” from sophisticated entries to hard rock to bubblegum pop. Considering their previous winners included heart-felt ballads, Euro-bangers and mid-tempo numbers, he’s not blowing hot air.

Which artists surprised you last year? Who do you hope to see back in 2022? Let us know own below!

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Stig Karlsen (@stigkarlsen)

Someone
Someone
1 month ago

Efentix is still a thing btw?

Bird Lover
Bird Lover
Reply to  Someone

it was always a publicity stunt

Denis
Denis
1 month ago

I think I might be one of few who actually liked TIX and thought he was the best act in MGP. There was something honest, pure about him. Especially the Norwegian version.

1 month ago

Six consecutive Saturdays suggests the 2021 format. Time will sing. I was besides myself with my top 4 making top 4, but leaving the decision to the public, was that a money issue or just more practical for the broadcaster? If only they did it like in Sweden with age brackets or braces or whatever they call those.

Reply to  Whisker

“Time will sing”. That’s cool!! Four of my top 5 made final top 4 as well!! I also loved the second chance vote and Jorn made it!!!

As for 100% public vote – I don’t mind it at all when it comes to Norway. They had very good songs to begin with. It’s a national show. Juries can do right and they can do wrong. I think it’s safer to leave it to the public. The broadcaster just needs to ensure they have high quality entries for the public to choose from.

1 month ago

Time will sing thunder and gloria! The public vote what they like and don’t need to impress anyone, barter with anyone, and I’m for all of that. But it should be representative across ages and such.

Erasmus
Erasmus
1 month ago

unpopular opinion but I think that last year’s MGP was weak. I loved only Imerika and let’s say Raylee. Keiino and Tix were enjoyable but both dated and not perfect packages (especially the wardrobe). Atle, River, and Stina were also fine but kinda lackluster. All other songs were basic, dated, or dull. They need some sort of jury system in order to prevent what happened last year – an act that didn’t have the best song won because of his fame. And act like Imerika didn’t even make the final because she was completely unknown to the public. We shall… Read more »

1 month ago

One more thing coming from MGP 2021 that I *loved* was KEiiNO and TIX’s the approach towards the fans and song promotion: KEiiNO had those short videos where they showed what they had done since 2019 and how “Monument” came about and how they filmed the video and how they rehearsed and how they felt about their entry and their MGP/Eurovision participation. TIX had that documentary explaining his artistic and personal background. All that media material had English subtitles which was also most awesome so that more people could understand their stories. Whereas another country had some stuff online in… Read more »

azaad
azaad
1 month ago

Unpopular opinion: MGP should revert to a 10 song national final. A lot of songs that competed last year were not strong enough to justify a six week process.

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  azaad

I share the same opinion with you… what’s the point of having such a long final if 80 % of the songs are either just bad/dull/dated.

1 month ago

MGP was *excellent* in 2020 and 2021. It’s so good to read about their whole concept as a whole. Other countries should pay attention to the Norwegian approach.

Denmark, Finland, Lithuania and Norway are my front-runners in 2022 from now and that without having heard one single song!!

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
1 month ago

Fingers crossed that those countries have a better or great national finals in 2022.

Ashton
Ashton
1 month ago

pick a good song that’s good and not just because the artist is popular this time please

Stian F
Stian F
1 month ago

Norway definitely need a win again now – so hoping for some amazing entries and not any popular silly acts like TiX again which will win because of their huge fan base and not because of a great entry.

I seriously believe Norway could have won in 2020 as well – by far the best ballad of the year.

azaad
azaad
Reply to  Stian F

Given how well France did this year, Norway had a very good chance. Ulrikke was one of the few acts in 2020 who would’ve appealed to the juries and public. She was the one unambiguous ESC fan favourite who managed to win her national final.

Denis
Denis
Reply to  azaad

Just because someone is a fan favourite doesnt mean they will do well. Take a look at Senhit..
I think Ulrikke would have done really well with juries and lesser with audiences.

Alo
Alo
1 month ago

Please add some kind of juries for the final! Although I liked Tix, there were much better options.

Ethan1994
Ethan1994
Reply to  Alo

After KEiiNO won the televote in 2019, but lost because of the juries, they are never going to bring them back to MGP.

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  Ethan1994

well good luck with winning the whole thing then

Sot
Sot
1 month ago

!!! EXTREMELY UNPOPULAR OPINION INCOMING !!!

Norway got a small streak of 2 last places in my ranking (2020&2021) so I hope that changes! A positive thing is that MGP was SO STRONG this year so I’m hoping we get a nice result in 2022!

1 month ago

Please come back in 2022, Big Daddy Karsten. We need more songs like yours. Songs about gay love that aren’t afraid to use pronouns.

Sot
Sot
Reply to  Jonas

How about that girl that got 2nd in 2020? She was nice!

Reply to  Sot

That was a woman singing about a man, and asking us to pray for her – kinda the opposite of what I’m talking about.

Solfrid Holte Johansen
Solfrid Holte Johansen
Reply to  Jonas

Whatever. It’s about quality of the song and the rest of the package. The MGP of my childhood was and I miss that. It shouldn’t be a forced kind of pride parade. But, it is for everybody who can bring us good music, no matter orientation.

1 month ago

“Pride parade”? And “kind of a forced one” for that matter? OMG. Music is for everyone to make and express themselves with and about pronouns of their choosing.

1 month ago

Whatever you’re talking about is not what I’m talking about. Of course songs should be judged on quality… but before we can do that, they need to actually exist.

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  Sot

Yeah! Kristin should return!

Reply to  Erasmus

Yeeeees! Kristin should return! She was amazing with “Pray for Me”. I still play that song.

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Jonas

agreed, but the song has to good. bdk’s was not

Reply to  Ashton

The song was good, the staging maybe not.

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Jonas

And that matters because?
I rather they go for talent, competence and even experience over choosing someone just for using pronouns

Reply to  Denis

It matters because people shouldn’t feel they need to hide their identity. Can you name even one gay Eurovision song? Songs like Arcade don’t use one pronoun, we have no idea if the song is about a man or a woman from the lyrics. Switzerland from that same year even had a pronoun in the title, but that’s okay because it’s hetero and won’t frighten anyone.

esc_fl
esc_fl
Reply to  Jonas

Rise Like a Phoenix….??

Reply to  esc_fl

There’s nothing gay about that song. The lyrics can apply to anyone who has been bullied, for whatever reason – the listener can attach whatever meaning they like to it. You can’t actually see Conchita if you hear it on the radio.

esc_fl
esc_fl
Reply to  Jonas

Maybe the song wasn’t originally meant for that purpose (I honestly have no idea), but the performance and its subsequent reception say otherwise. Also, Neuwirth’s little speech after winning the contest (“we are unity…”)

Reply to  esc_fl

Yay, now give me two men or two women singing adoringly at each other like Spain 2018 or Slovenia 2019 or Azerbaijan 2011 or Denmark 2010 or Romania 2017 or Lithuania 2015.

esc_fl
esc_fl
Reply to  Jonas

To be fair according to Love Love Peace Peace many of those were “pretending [they’re] in love” XD

Denis
Denis
Reply to  Jonas

So? Why is it important for you that songs are about gay love? I think singers want their songs to be universal and reach out to all, not just the gay crowd. It’s about being able to relate. If you are not gay, how can you relate to a song about gay love? Do you share the same experiences as the gay people in the song?

Last edited 1 month ago by Denis
Reply to  Denis

Denis, please. Think about what you’re saying. Gay people should not need to conform. Love is love.

Sot
Sot
Reply to  Jonas

Krista’s kiss.
Hatari waving LGBTQ flags.
The whole song for UK in 1959 (I think)

esc_fl
esc_fl
Reply to  Sot

Iceland 2011 and Lithuania 2015 as well. Also, 1961 winner Nous les amoreux is supposed to describe a homosexual relationship.

Last edited 1 month ago by esc_fl
Reply to  esc_fl

No. You still don’t get it. Songs. Not staging. Kisses and flags are not lyrics, and last for one night. They are seen, not heard.

Reply to  Jonas

UK 1959 was a husband and wife singing to a little bird. I have no idea what Sot is talking about. Luxembourg 1961 is the closest you have come to giving an actual example, but even then it is not obvious from the lyrics. The juries and listeners probably had no clue.

esc_fl
esc_fl
Reply to  Jonas

Maybe we’re splitting hairs at this stage? Songs like that have appeared in national finals too, like “My Guy” for Lithuania 2021 and “I am gay” for Norway last year, and she won her semi-final!

Reply to  esc_fl

Yes, the next thing to happen is for one to actually get to represent their country and make it to a Eurovision final. After 65 years, that has still not happened.

zheng
zheng
1 month ago

Quality of NRK MGP is awesome! i looking forward to see what’s Norway brings to us next year!

Ixuxu
Ixuxu
1 month ago

Stig is truly amazing, isn’t he?

Jesper Hjellnes
Jesper Hjellnes
1 month ago

I love how NRK is taking MGP and Eurovision seriously. The quality of MGP 2021 was amazing. I still hear both Fallen Angel and Monument being played regularly on Norwegian radio. In 2020, when the final was held in Trondheim, the enthusiasm was huge in the city. I just remember how the audience was cheering so loud for Kristin (the participant who was from Trondheim). All the final tickets were sold out for the first time in years, and it was great to be able to attend one last major event before Covid shut everything down. I both hope and… Read more »

Badwoolfgirl
Badwoolfgirl
1 month ago

It will be 13 years since Norway last won Eurovision, so the time could be right for another Norwegian victory. That said, I still would prefer to see a first time winner next year or in the near future, but if Norway sends a song worthy enough to win Eurovision for the fourth time, then they deserve it. But we don’t know what the quality of the national final will be like until MGP starts airing in early 2022. It could be great or it could full of crap. Norway could have a winning entry, or they might fail to… Read more »