Finland UMK 2020

Finland ‘s national selection show UMK comes with lots of history. And now Finland is once again set to select its act for Rotterdam through Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu 2020. But who should represent the country in the Netherlands?

Six acts will compete at the national final on March 7. The Finnish broadcaster YLE has abandoned the single artist format used for the past two years, bringing back the multi-act selection format. UMK 2020 sees six different acts vying for the right to represent Finland in Rotterdam.

But only one act can win and go on to represent Finland at Eurovision 2020. Who is your favourite to win? Listen to the six competing entries below and vote for your favourite. As always, you can vote for as many acts as you like, but you can only vote once — so choose wisely.

UMK 2020: Songs and Entries

Aksel Kankaanranta – “Looking Back”

Aksel Kankaanranta is a 2017 alum of the Voice of Finland. He says he’s shy, but that won’t stop him performing in front of an audience of one million, saying, “I want to transmit emotions with my singing.” “Looking Back” is described as a “sensitive song telling about world-weariness, love and the feeling of inadequacy.” The UMK jury compared it to a hit song from an artist like Sam Smith or James Arthur.

Catharina Zühlke – “Eternity”

Fans may remember Catharina Zühlke from UMK 2017, where she finished second with “Perfect Villain”. Now performing with her first name as well, “Eternity” is described as being about “the power of love”. Zühlke says she “got a strong feeling that [her] song has a greater meaning.” The UMK jury doesn’t hold back, describing the song as a “potential world-beater at the Eurovision Song Contest.”

Erika Vikman – “Cicciolina”

Erika’s “Cicciolina” is enticingly described as an “energetic Finndisco piece, where no attempts are made to hide sexual freedom.” The jury also thinks it may become a staple of Finnish bachelorette parties. Erika typically sings in Finnish and “Cicciolina” is no exception.

F3M – “Bananas”

Three-piece girl group F3M are made up of Viv, Baby O and Miara. “Bananas” is described as a “catchy and dance-inspiring pop song performed with an anarchistic touch.” The UMK jury says the song’s production “has ensured that each second is packed with strong pop hooks.”

Tika – “I Let My Heart Break”

Tika was the winner of the 2018 series of the X Factor Finland, where she was mentored by Saara Aalto. Her speciality is power ballads and she says her biggest idols are Whitney Houston and Celine Dion. The UMK jury described “I Let My Heart Break” as being “at home in the latest James Bond movie.”

Sansa- “Lover View”

Established musician Sansa has an electronic style via an indie-folk background. “Lover View” is described as a “cool and sensual piece of electropop.” The UMK jury describes the song as” classic Nordic pop at its best” and compared the track to something from Swedish pop icon Robyn.

Poll: Who should win UMK 2020?

Who is your favourite in UMK 2020? Which act and song do you think would be best for Eurovision? Let us know in the comments below!

Read more Finland Eurovision 2020 news.

WillDoThisLater
WillDoThisLater

I can’t believe Lover View is last – it’s by far my favourite of the bunch, though I guess I could see it fall flat when live.

BleuKnaveXD236
BleuKnaveXD236

Really no particular preference… maybe CICCIOLINA or BANANAS… but either of the six is okay with me. Anyways good luck to all participants nonetheless.

Mary Jane Poland
Mary Jane Poland

I know everyone here is crazy about Cicciolina(rightfully so) but please tell me that I’m not the only one who actually loves „Bananas”

Janine
Janine

I really love Lover View by Sansa, but I think ciccolina is maybe the best choice for eurovision. Something very special and catchy.

Alexander
Alexander

Typical eurovision fan: Where are all the bips this year?

My galaxy brain: The less bops we have the better Erikas chances to do well is >:)

Andi
Andi

I’m surprised that Eternity is on 2nd rank here. In former days I didn’t like the 6 songs at all. Now I love them. Yes, all of them. Even Sansa (I voted for this), but the lyrics of Lover View (what the hell does that mean at all?) are stupid as hell 😀

I would also be satisfied with Erika of course.

Puff
Puff
Reply to  Andi

I think the poll is rigged. Eternity was nearly last today, idk where those votes suddenly appeared from.

Reply to  Puff

Who do you think is rigging it?

Floriana
Floriana
Reply to  Puff

The only reason to think this poll is rigged is that horrible Cicciolina ditty leading it… Really hope it won’t win!

Florenna
Florenna
Reply to  Puff

Yes, the poll must be rigged as the best song, Eternity, is only 2nd, and that horrible Cicciolina is leading!! Really hope it won’t win, it’s just cheap trash.

Mr X
Mr X

Only “Ciccolina” , please !

I love Cicciolina, I hope it wins, but it’s still not as good as CatCat.

“Cicciolina” would probably stand out the most, but I really like “I Let My Heart Break.” I wouldn’t call either of them safe qualifiers, but I like them both more than the last two Finnish entries.

I’ve heard all songs at least once. My top so far would be: 1. Aksel – Looking Back: pleasant and safe, nice voice but I’ve heard this song before 2. Tika – I Let My Heart Break – the voice is good and the melody pretty good but I don’t like the take on the broken love story. 3. Sansa – Lover View – atmospheric, lounge relaxing type of music. 4. Erika – Cicciolina. Having seen the lyrics in English (though I don’t know if the translation is accurate) I can get behind the message in some way but I… Read more »

Riri
Riri

It’s ok if you don’t like the songs and want to voice your opinion but calling an entire nation untalented because of that is just wrong. Like Puff already said UMK doesn’t represent finnish music very well so it’s stupid to judge finnish music by just listening to those.
Would you like if I would deem all of your country’s people as arrogant, rude, inconsiderate and narcissistic like you are right now?

Riri
Riri
Reply to  Riri

Looks like the comment that this was an answer to got deleted. Don’t know if it was a moderator or the person who wrote the comment but thanks anyway.

Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde

I like ERIKA VIKMAN – “CICCIOLINA” most of all the songs. But my second choice is TIKA – “I LET MY HEART BREAK”

Puff
Puff

I honestly can’t understand how you can call them bad. They’re all very high quality and well-produced tracks, all being different genres too. And how can you say that Finnish people can’t make music? Have you heard any Finnish music outside of UMK? UMK doesn’t represent Finnish music well, because most Finnish musicians don’t like UMK and don’t want to participate. Well, except Cicciolina. That track is loved by Finns and that’s why it had success on the charts. But honestly I think you have something against Finland since you call Finns untalented and hate all of these tracks although… Read more »

Puff
Puff
Reply to  Puff

Lol the only way you can counter-argument is by bashing down Finnish people? I do not want to talk with you anymore. And if Cicciolina is a “sure non-qualifier”, why does it have so mant fans and views from different countries? I bet the only style of music you listen to is generic Swedish pop.

Azaad
Azaad

That’s just rude. Not one song in this selection is genuinely awful or unlistenable- they range from okay to fantastic. I would argue it’s one of the better selections this year

Azaad
Azaad

Tika is a dark horse- her song will appeal to jurors and she’s the most famous act competing. Erika is still the favourite though

Serafina
Serafina

It’s unfortunate that my favorite here is a ballad, I’m tired of ballads at this point, but what can I do, “I Let My Heart Break” is my favorite. Now that I’ve learn the message behind Cicciolina I appreciate it a little more, but I still think sonically it’s too dated and… really bad hehe

Puff
Puff
Reply to  Serafina

Dude it’s not dated. It’s an homage to Finnish schlager music and 80’s or 90’s music in general. It’s so catchy, fun and different. And a message like Cicciolina’s hasn’t been heard in Eurovision earlier. And it’s in our native language too, that’s always respectable! I think you should give it a few more listens, I wasn’t its biggest fan at first but listening to it more has made me love Cicciolina

Kosey
Kosey

I’m enjoying cioccolina, it’s fun. I also like the fact it prompted me to visit her Wikipedia page – I’ve never heard of her before but she has definitely lived a life!

Marseille
Marseille

So glad the real UMK is back. Even when the songs are not that great, it has a rather unique flavour. My favorite is Looking Back, but wouldn’t mind Cicciolina

Joshua
Joshua

Zühlke is my absolute favourite, but we all know who’s going to win.

Myles
Myles

Tika’s song is a lot more musically interesting than Erika’s but I think Finnish Eurovision fans tend to prefer something more outlandish and typically “Eurovision” so I think Erika’s got it in the bag

Aran
Aran

I really like UMK this year.

Aran
Aran

My ranking:
1) Erika Vikman – “Cicciolina”
2) Aksel Kankaanranta – “Looking Back”
3) Tika – “I Let My Heart Break”
4) Sansa- “Lover View”
5) F3M – “Bananas”
6) Catharina Zühlke – “Eternity”

Matthew
Matthew

After Finland’s last place (was deserved btw) I think it would be refreshing for them to send Erika Vikman. Finalist or not Finland would at least be remembered, i just need the performance to be very camp and trashy. Also 02 in national finals is not really a curse, Moldova and Serbia’s winners performed in the 2nd spot, queen Erika Vikman should join them <3

halseyswhxre21
halseyswhxre21
Reply to  Matthew

performing 2nd can be a blessing in nfs as proven by Moldova and Serbia.

Idksmth
Idksmth
Reply to  halseyswhxre21

Forgetting about Iceland, huh?

Mia
Mia

Erika Vikman ofc

Tibor

Does anyone care to explain to me why Erika is such a huge front runner? I got that it’s fun, in Finnish and has an important message (although I have to say that I don’t really know what this message could be, since I don’t speak Finnish). Is there anything else? Genuinely interested.

aroncido
aroncido
Reply to  Tibor

It’s doing tremendously well online on youtube, spotify, etc.

Reply to  Tibor

The message of this song is not to judge a woman by her previous sexual experience and to stop shaming women. In the song, it is implied that she is about to start a new relationship with a guy who is (most probably) a bit more on the conservative side. She says that now she may adjust to her new life, but even if she is virtuous and plays along his values now, he’ll never see her as such due to her previous lifestyle. It’s a criticism of labeling women. Aside that, it’s on a lovely Finish language, catchy and… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

The message of this song is not to judge a woman by her previous sexual experience and to stop shaming women. In the song, it is implied that she is about to start a new relationship with a guy who is (most probably) a bit more on the conservative side. She says that now she may adjust to her new life, but even if she is virtuous and plays along his values now, he’ll never see her as such due to her previous lifestyle. It’s a criticism of labeling women. Aside that, it’s on a lovely Finnish language, catchy and… Read more »

Reply to  Colin

Okay, thanks aroncido, the youtube/spotify thing was a misunderstanding, I didn’t mean why it’s a front runner in this poll, but why it’s a front runner overall.
And thank you, Colin, so I didn’t miss anything: It’s the lyrics, it’s fun and in Finnish. The upbeat thing is not that obvious since there are several upbeat songs in the selection that seem to be less popular.
I’m kind of baffled by that, because I would have expected it to be much more divisive and I still don’t really understand why it isn’t.

Reply to  Tibor

I answered but got filtered. And this downvoting stuff for asking a question is really getting old. So I guess I won’t bother to type my answer again, thanks nonetheless aroncido and Colin.

Reply to  Tibor

You can edit this message right here within 15 minutes of posting.
I voted you back up because the minus was indeed undeserved.

Reply to  Colin

Yeah I just upvoted Tibor too. Not cool, Wiwibloggers. Tibor only asked a question.

Reply to  Colin

Ah. There may be a technical problem with the comments viewer. My screen is not updating as normal.

Reply to  Purple Mask

Thanks guys, but don’t bother, you’re never going to convince those who are then trying to sell you that downvoting is allegedly about disagreeing, when there’s logically really nothing to disagree about in a question – unless you’re a dictator, of course. 😉 I was more frustrated about the latest strike of the filter, because apparently it only works on inoffensive stuff, whereas if people are writing dozens of racial slurs (like it happened on a Serbia post a couple of days ago), it has nothing to object. Usually, I make a copy of my answer and post it again… Read more »

pineapple yellow
pineapple yellow
Reply to  Tibor

For me I love how it has such a happy vibe. When it was released, I had no idea what the lyrics meant or even who was Cicciolina, but the second I started listening to it I started smiling for no reason.

Tibor

I think, that is a very nice reason to love a song. 🙂

Reply to  Tibor

What I can say, Tibor, is that the only one of these songs I disliked was “Bananas”, but the only song I still remember (it’s been a while since Finland released their songs, isn’t it?) is “Cicciolina”. What I don’t know is if the hype will hurt it. Because I believe it’s a song that relies on a live performance full of personality. I’ve seen Erika performing Madonna and I think she has what it takes, but we’ll only know for sure on Saturday.

Reply to  Sabrina

Thanks, Sabrina, I get that this song can have some appeal (not to me, I hate anything schlager, as you know, but in principle). What I’m wondering is, why this gets such universal acclaim. Normally, you’d expect a ton of people shouting “This has even been dated in 1985”, but in this case, almost everyone seems to love it. And what I wrote in my answer to Colin was, that I know by now, of course, that there’s a bias in the fandom towards more uptempo songs, but it’s not as if all the other songs in UMK are emotional… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

But when it was released, there were people calling it dated here. Let’s say… 20% of the comments. There was a little debate about what’s dated and what’s retro (I believe this one is a throw-back, it’s clear to me they tried to sound like an older song). But yes, it became the fan favorite and not many people talked about UMK since. I guess we’ll read these comments if it gets chosen. And I wonder how will be the reaction if it loses. I guess in this particular case, besides the bias towards bops , there’s the fact many… Read more »

Reply to  Sabrina

Huh. That’s an interesting take. I never thought about anyone missing the schlager at Eurovision – probably because I was so relieved when it was gone. And that’s of course an exaggeration, I knew that these people existed, but I always thought that the schlager lovers and the wiwibloggs commentators were separated by at least a generation. But I guess I was wrong. “And I’m always like: Don’t hate on Sweden, we have them to thank for the elimination of schlager in Eurovision.” If you’re right, part of the Sweden hate might stem from that.

Reply to  Tibor

But loving schlager is more than a generational thing, is almost like a lifestyle! 😀 Also, it seems that the genre is still popular in some countries. For example, some young people were complaining that Nanne hasn’t qualified in Melfest. I guess for each person who’s happy with the contest getting more serious (like us), there’s that person who just wanted a silly show like those they watched since they were kids. Between a charming retro entry and a half baked attempt to copy trends, I would go with the first. Just to stay with 2 fan favorites: I prefer… Read more »

Reply to  Sabrina

Yes, I was also thinking about the hype around Nanne – but wasn’t that different, because everybody was cheering her on and thought it was cute how James Cordon reacted to her song, but ultimately nobody even voted her into Andra chansen? So when push comes to shove the Swedish schlager love isn’t that deep, is it? 😉 You’re certainly right that there are a lot of people who don’t watch ESC for the music, but for other entertainment reasons. It’s just something that’s so alien to me – I love music so much that I would never listen to… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

I must say part of what attracted me to Eurovision was the crazy aspect of it. But I actually found out lot of artists I love and I guess I joined the party exactly when the contest was finding a way to balance entertainment with quality. Sure, there are still many manufactured entries, but we’ve seen also great stuff being rewarded. It can get even better if the fandom gets more demanding about uptempo songs.

Leena Kivioja
Leena Kivioja
Reply to  Sabrina

Wild guess, you re a finn

Leena Kivioja
Leena Kivioja
Reply to  Tibor

We have this thing called finn disco, and if you add some sinful words in to it, People go Bananas. But only in here. And its compleatly useless to tell them that it wont work out side of our borders. Maybe they can reveal themselves as a naughty girl after 3 drinks in a local bar. With this song. But the song should stay in that local bar. Not Eurovision which is unfortunantly gona happen.

Reply to  Leena Kivioja

Okay, thanks. I’m really looking forward to seeing, how it will turn out on Saturday. But I tend to agree with you: This will be much more divisive with the Eurovision audience than it apparently is with the fandom.

Puzzle
Puzzle

Pls don’t be angry if Finland not choose Erika Vikman- Cicciolina. The jurys or televote might not vote for her. In UMK 2017 Emma was fan favourite, but the live show had problems. The live show can change the predictions

Polegend Godgarina

this is a no brainer, “cicciolina” should win

CRISTIANO MESSI

I think that Erika has the best chances in ESC. But I the bad thing is that the song is about s*x and a p*rnstar. The good thing is that most europeans wont understand this. Aksel has a nice song, maybe he can do like Paradise Oskar in 2011 and do quite well. Zühlke has nice song, but I liked X-Men (UMK 2016) more. There’s a weird drop at 1:05 in the song. Its not a big problem. If Sansa and Bananas win it would be a big suprise. Tika is good, but maybe BORING and I heard that Eurovision… Read more »

Angelika
Angelika

Please choose Erika Vikman – “Cicciolina”!

CRISTIANO MESSI

The winner fight will be between Erika, Aksel and Tika.
Zühlke and Sansa will be on place 3-5. I predict F3M to be last. Bananas is not that good sorry, and nobody have heard about them before UMK.

Tom
Tom

I have same feelings like I had with Emma in 2017 in finnish national selection….Hopefully Erika will win.
1 Erika
2 Sansa
3 Aksel
Maybe someone alse will take the throphy, after what happened in Estonia, Albania, CZ, Norway, Italy or Moldova i would not be surprise at all

Reply to  Tom

Estonia, Albania, Italy – maybe, even if all of them were mentioned among ”back-up” options.
In Czech Republic Ben was actually one of the leading options.
Norway was a strong front-runner anyway.
Moldova was so blatantly obvious from a strategic standpoint.
But yeah, in Finland, I can see an upset.They tend to do that a lot. Hopefully they choose well.

ImJJ
ImJJ

Erika! Tika is good too but seriously, we have enough ballads for now.

Reply to  ImJJ

That’s what I’m torn about. Tika is seriously outstanding and would score in my top 5. At the same time, there are indeed much more down-tempo and mid-tempo songs so far compared to bangers and faster songs. I’d still be very happy with both Erika and Tika.

Jack Pricefield
Jack Pricefield

My rankings:

1) Tika
2) Sansa
3) F3M
4) Erika
5) Catharina
6) Aksel

Unless international juries trash Erika, she’s the obvious winner at this point but between the 6 songs I believe Tika has the most jury-friendly song and if her vocals are totally there on Saturday night, Cicciolina stans need to brace themselves for a hard shock.

I’m also loving Sansa as well! one of the most underrated songs this NF season, like if Daft Punk & Kylie Minogue had a love child x

Erika, Tika, Aksel and Zuhlke are all acts I would (now, with 24 songs out, it’s almost official) have in my top 10. Sansa would also be high on my list. So, Finland, good luck and may the best one on stage win!

“Cicciolina” will obviously win this poll. But I am more interested in what Finland will get behind on the night. I know very little about UMK; does anyone from Finland know how Finns are reacting to this selection?

Riri
Riri
Reply to  Purple Mask

Finns in general don’t really care about eurovision or UMK. When UMK or eurovision are talked about in the media most people either don’t care and don’t even know it’s going on or they say it’s “waste of tax money and we should withdraw from the contest.” Those who are interested either like Cicciolina or I let my heart break the most. (at least I have seen those mentioned the most.) Cicciolina has had the most media attention because Erika is the most well known artist out of the bunch. As a finn I would send Cicciolina to eurovision. Hope… Read more »

Angelika
Angelika
Reply to  Riri

Erika has the whole package. She’s so sweet, outspoken and has many fans.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot that the UMK jury described Catharina Zühlke’s as a “potential Eurovision world-beater” but described Cicciolina as something you’d hear at hen parties. Insane! 😉

Safiya
Safiya

I haven’t heard other songs, so I can’t really judge, but I really love Cicciolina and I think we definitely need a song like this at Eurovision. It’s fun, it’ll probably be entertaining to watch and at the same time it has an important message. And I love the Finnish language! I am curious how they will stage it and whether she is good live. I hope she won’t disappoint.

I have listened to each song once when they were released and that is that. I remember I enjoyed Tika’s song and I might have enjoyed another one in parts but I can’t recall which one. I don’t like Cicciolina musically but I want that one to win because of the #message #howeveryousaythankyouinfinnish

Finnish
Finnish
Reply to  Whisker

Lesbi honest
Lesbi honest
Reply to  Whisker

#kiitos!

Reply to  Whisker

Kiitos at @Finnish and @Lesti honest.