Eurovision 2021 may seem a long way off, especially since we all missed out on a competition in May, but the news is coming thick and fast. And with it comes a flurry of comments from you, our dear readers, who never hesitate to let your feelings be known. In honour of that we’ll be uploading a new podcast each week discussing the news on Wiwibloggs and shouting out to the most-liked comments in relevant posts. Unlike YouTube, we don’t have to get our hair did for this, and we are living for the convenience. Expect audiograms from Wiwibloggers all around the world as we #ComeTogether and #OpenUp.

You can listen to the latest episode below. You can also subscribe on Spotify and Apple Music if you’d prefer to listen on your mobile device. You can also read the relevant posts for each topic we discuss. They’re linked below.

Eurovision podcast (Episode 73): Iceland, Russia and Cyprus to choose returning artists for 2021?

Internal selection? Iceland’s Daði Freyr reschedules European tour, stoking Eurovision 2021 rumours

Russia confirms Eurovision 2021 participation…as fans ponder the fate of Little Big

Cyprus: No Fuego! Eleni Foureira has turned down Eurovision 2021

Cyprus’ secret combination? Greek media reports Kalomira is in talks to return to Eurovision for 2021

Sweden: SVT confirms that first 14 songs have been selected for Melodifestivalen 2021

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
1 year ago

Please Russia select Zivert. The girl is so amazing and has an beautiful voice. With a good pop/cool/powerful song (like YATL and Credo) she could win it all

Red X
Red X
Reply to  Hyunwoo

I’d rather have her in 2022 tbh, since Little Big should represent Russia in 2021 imo.

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
Reply to  Red X

Little Big likely not reprsent Russia, they haven’t received an invitation yet! But i hope that Zivert represent Russia in Eurovision 2021!

1 year ago

Russia, please let me out of my misery and confirm your 2021. UK, you too.

Reply to  Whisker

Thank you for your passion for Eurovision and sharing it with us, you are an inspiration!

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Whisker

When you consider Eurovision related events, this year wasn’t too bad in the end considering we’re in a pandemic.

1 year ago

William Lee Adams you are the best (heart)!

1 year ago

A cool podcast, guys. I like how you on and off agree and disagree. Some interesting points have been addressed here. Despite what many people say, I think that 2020 was musically a good year and many of these songs would’ve absolutely slayed on ESC stage. However, even if the contest is cancelled, these songs are 2020 winners to me. The list is out there. I’d be more than okay with Little Big, Dadi and Kalomira on ESC 2021. All three songs are pretty high on my respective lists. With Russia, I think it’s purely about their choice. If Little… Read more »

Last edited 1 year ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

Deban looks exactly 15 years younger (I heart Deban).

I think Portugal has a rule about sending the song in Portuguese. I am not sure about Italy. I wish all countries released versions in their own language, but if they want to use the English version in the contest, that’s fine with me.

Reply to  Whisker

Portuguese NF FdC had a language rule up to 2017, if I’m not mistaken. Now, they theoretically *can* pick a song in English (or any language), but choose not to. There have been maybe 5 or so FdC songs in English in these years, but none of them went well with the scoreboard. Italian Sanremo HAS to feature songs in Italian, so their only options would be to internally pick for a year, translate or pick the Sanremo winner with another song entirely (like Albania in 2015 did). Personally, I find most translated songs weaker than their originals, but of… Read more »

Reply to  Colin

In some cases, it’s hard to tell which version is the original one if both have equally sensical lyrics and natural flow. Is It True is a great song. Although my winner in 2009 was Estonia, I would’ve been happy with the Icelandic win. Francesca’s song wasn’t an internal pick, though. She came second in Sanremo, but then the winners didn’t want to go to ESC and she went. The song was partially translated afterwards, which was a minor scandal in Italy. It is still a very lovely song and in my top 15 of the year. Usual Italian standards… Read more »

Reply to  Colin

True for San Remo, I forgot about that! I wasn’t aware of the change of rules in Portugal, but I am not surprised about the public not picking up songs in English. #translationsarenotenough