Eurovision 2021 may seem a long way off, especially since we all missed out on a competition in May, but the news is coming thick and fast. And with it comes a flurry of comments from you, our dear readers, who never hesitate to let your feelings be known. In honour of that we’ll be uploading a new podcast each week discussing the news on Wiwibloggs and shouting out to the most-liked comments in relevant posts. Unlike YouTube, we don’t have to get our hair did for this, and we are living for the convenience. Expect audiograms from Wiwibloggers all around the world as we #ComeTogether and #OpenUp.

You can listen to the latest episode below. You can also subscribe on Spotify and Apple Music if you’d prefer to listen on your mobile device. You can also read the relevant posts for each topic we discuss. They’re linked below.

Eurovision podcast (Episode 73): Iceland, Russia and Cyprus to choose returning artists for 2021?

Internal selection? Iceland’s Daði Freyr reschedules European tour, stoking Eurovision 2021 rumours

Russia confirms Eurovision 2021 participation…as fans ponder the fate of Little Big

Cyprus: No Fuego! Eleni Foureira has turned down Eurovision 2021

Cyprus’ secret combination? Greek media reports Kalomira is in talks to return to Eurovision for 2021

Sweden: SVT confirms that first 14 songs have been selected for Melodifestivalen 2021

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
23 days ago

Please Russia select Zivert. The girl is so amazing and has an beautiful voice. With a good pop/cool/powerful song (like YATL and Credo) she could win it all

Red X
Red X
22 days ago
Reply to  Hyunwoo

I’d rather have her in 2022 tbh, since Little Big should represent Russia in 2021 imo.

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo
22 days ago
Reply to  Red X

Little Big likely not reprsent Russia, they haven’t received an invitation yet! But i hope that Zivert represent Russia in Eurovision 2021!

23 days ago

About Russia: AFAIR Iliya mentioned a (possible?) change of broadcaster for next year. Sorry I don’t remember the name of either one for 2020 and 2021. In my understanding, that was his concern. For lack of a better word. I am all for Little Big in 2021. I say this *again*. With love from Una.

23 days ago

He-he-llo! OMG. Have I missed that? This is *great news*. So yay back and more love from Una.

23 days ago

Russia, please let me out of my misery and confirm your 2021. UK, you too.

23 days ago

Thank you for your passion for Eurovision and sharing it with us, you are an inspiration!

Reply to  Whisker

This is *home*. You know like “my hometown” in the wonderful voice of My Marianne? From “Husavik”? World situation and no Eurovision this year, 2020 has been the best Eurovision year in history. In my opinion. The big contest has never happened, but the Eurovision in Concert, Wiwi’s home jams, Eurovision Shine a Light, the Fire Saga, Eurovision Again and of course WIWIBLOGGS and the community have made 2020 a year to remember! Heartfelt thanks and love from Una.

Azaad
Azaad
23 days ago

When you consider Eurovision related events, this year wasn’t too bad in the end considering we’re in a pandemic.

22 days ago
Reply to  Azaad

IMO it’s because we’re in that situation I think this has been the best Eurovision to date even though it didn’t happen. I’ve felt the closest to all artists than ever before – I feel they were more genuine because the pressure of competition was off. Thus I kind of liked them a lot more. And even loved a few.

23 days ago

William Lee Adams you are the best (heart)!

23 days ago

About Iceland: DF said he would come back if internally selected and *only* if his band whose name I don’t remember now were invited along. Which is sweet and fair and loving.

23 days ago

Thoughts on Cyprus: same opinion on fresh acts. Or established acts with no prior participation. And no more foreign involvement. 2018 and 2019 were purely foreign. The best result for the country in 2018 – what does it say? Foreigners needed for that? What do Cypriot acts feel when talking about the brotherhood between Greece and Cyprus? I do understand brotherhood but come on. I don’t like this. My opinion. As for K returning: 2021 (jury and televote) is not 2008 (televote only). Just saying. Some of the best acts in 2020 were clear possible jury winners in plural –… Read more »

23 days ago

Episode 73? Have you made 73 podcasts? I only knew of this one. OMG. Bring them on. I loved it!!!

23 days ago

Awww, thank *you* William and many thanks for *Deban* for doing them! Hoping that more broadcasters will release news or teasers about their 2021 participation. I need this in our new Eurovision year. The earlier, the more, the better!! I have thoughts and questions and opinions!

24 days ago

A cool podcast, guys. I like how you on and off agree and disagree. Some interesting points have been addressed here. Despite what many people say, I think that 2020 was musically a good year and many of these songs would’ve absolutely slayed on ESC stage. However, even if the contest is cancelled, these songs are 2020 winners to me. The list is out there. I’d be more than okay with Little Big, Dadi and Kalomira on ESC 2021. All three songs are pretty high on my respective lists. With Russia, I think it’s purely about their choice. If Little… Read more »

Last edited 24 days ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

Deban looks exactly 15 years younger (I heart Deban).

I think Portugal has a rule about sending the song in Portuguese. I am not sure about Italy. I wish all countries released versions in their own language, but if they want to use the English version in the contest, that’s fine with me.

Reply to  Whisker

Portuguese NF FdC had a language rule up to 2017, if I’m not mistaken. Now, they theoretically *can* pick a song in English (or any language), but choose not to. There have been maybe 5 or so FdC songs in English in these years, but none of them went well with the scoreboard. Italian Sanremo HAS to feature songs in Italian, so their only options would be to internally pick for a year, translate or pick the Sanremo winner with another song entirely (like Albania in 2015 did). Personally, I find most translated songs weaker than their originals, but of… Read more »

Reply to  Colin

Italy 2016: AFAIR Francesca was internally picked and her song was in both English and Italian. And did not do well. I personally liked that song a lot. But the staging was strange to say the least. I remember her talking about the message they had tried to convey but I was not convinced. As for different versions of the same song, Iceland 2009 that came second had had six language versions altogether. I don’t know if Yohanna’s original song was in Icelandic but the English version in the big contest was *amazing*. Could have been a well deserved winner… Read more »

23 days ago

In some cases, it’s hard to tell which version is the original one if both have equally sensical lyrics and natural flow. Is It True is a great song. Although my winner in 2009 was Estonia, I would’ve been happy with the Icelandic win. Francesca’s song wasn’t an internal pick, though. She came second in Sanremo, but then the winners didn’t want to go to ESC and she went. The song was partially translated afterwards, which was a minor scandal in Italy. It is still a very lovely song and in my top 15 of the year. Usual Italian standards… Read more »

Reply to  Colin

True for San Remo, I forgot about that! I wasn’t aware of the change of rules in Portugal, but I am not surprised about the public not picking up songs in English. #translationsarenotenough