They’re the Balkan country known for their sometimes quirky Eurovision entries. But Montenegro won’t be returning to Eurovision in 2021. Broadcaster RTCG has confirmed that the Balkan nation will not make a comeback in Rotterdam.

The broadcaster confirmed their decision to ESCToday. The broadcaster did not give a specific reason for why they weren’t returning to Eurovision.

In late 2019, RTCG confirmed they would not compete at the planned Eurovision 2020. At the time, the broadcaster said their decision was partly financial, partly related to Montenegro’s results at Eurovision. A spokesperson said, “Eurovision costs around €130,000 each year. Our music representatives have achieved modest results for the most part. The finals were hard to come by.”

Instead, the broadcaster intended to reallocate its Eurovision budget towards buying new cars. The spokesperson explained, “This year we decided to invest that money in the RTCG fleet renewal. The plan is to buy five new cars and this significantly improves the safety of our crews, which travel over 1,000 kilometres on a daily basis.”

Montenegro at Eurovision

This isn’t the first occasion Montenegro has taken time off from the song contest. After debuting as an independent nation in 2007 and competing three times, Montenegro withdrew in 2010 and 2011, also for financial reasons.

Montenegro’s best years at Eurovision were 2014 and 2015, where Sergej Ćetković and Knez each made it to the grand final with emotional ballads in the Montenegrin language. Knez’s song “Adio” finished in 13th place in the grand final, giving Montenegro its best-ever result.

Confirmed countries for Eurovision 2021

Fans are one step closer to learning the confirmed line-up for Eurovision 2021. 10 October was the latest that broadcasters could withdraw from the contest without penalty.

So far, 38 countries have provisionally confirmed for Eurovision 2021

But still to confirm are broadcasters from Belarus, Portugal and the UK. As well, while Moldova‘s Natalia Gordienko appears to be working on her entry for Eurovision 2021, broadcaster TRM has yet to comment on their participation.

The EBU is expected to release the list of confirmed acts for Eurovision 2021 in mid-November.

What do you think? Are you disappointed that Montenegro won’t be returning to Eurovision 2021? Which other countries would you like to see return to Eurovision? Tell us your thoughts below!

Read more Montenegro Eurovision news here

1 month ago

Fans: Why won’t you return to ESC?

RTCG: Hehe our cars go vroom vroom

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Alex

car go brrr

sam
sam
1 month ago

let’s replace montenegro with hungary, kazakhstan, or BOSNIA

Esc43
Esc43

2014 n 2015 Montenegrin entries were good

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA
1 month ago

Unfortunately I’m pretty sure Hungary won’t compete in Eurovision next year either (and most likely in the foreseeable future) due to their government.

1998
1998
1 month ago

Now Montenegro officially withdrew.

1 month ago

Ya, Eurovision is expensive If a broadcaster has other priorities, that’s fine. But who is to “blame” for lack of results?

Reply to  Whisker

Agree. Broadcaster talk about lack of results yet they are the ones in charge of the selection – internal or not. So many formulas in the Eurovision space to study and learn from. It’s not only resources but interest and know-how and *motivation*. It’s a complicated game, I know. Complexity of issue could probably be addressed by teaming with a big name that has support from a label. And to think that they are usually part of a block that can help with some points but only if the song and performance are good.

Right!

Yudhistira Mahasena
1 month ago

So that means we’re not seeing G-Friend singing for Montenegro next year? Sorry, I’m a K-pop fan who has always had an imagination of K-pop artists singing in Eurovision.

Ashton
Ashton
1 month ago

This is not a K-pop page. This is a Eurovision page. I dont understand why you would ever believe a K-pop group would EVER represent Montenegro. Please, no more.

sam
sam
Reply to  Ashton

kpop has no place at eurovision or in music in general

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  sam

That’s not true. Some K-pop is very very good. Just, as of right now, South Korea is not in Eurovision. If one day they are, I will welcome K-pop in with open arms.

Robert
Robert
1 month ago

Maybe bring a good contemporary song to Eurovision is an idea..

Nikko
Nikko

Apparently RTCG needed more cars

ESCFan2009
ESCFan2009
1 month ago

Looking at the comments, I should better not mention, that “Adio” is my last place of 2015. Lalala, just randomly walking by *whistles* 😀
Anyways, it’s always sad, even if I dislike some or most entries, that’s just personal music taste after all…

Reply to  ESCFan2009

“Don’t need to worry!” That’s from Slavko’s song! No pun inteded. Your personal music taste is your personal music taste. Fun comments always welcome. No whistles from yours truly.

1 month ago

I’m sorry to hear that, but it wasn’t totally unexpected. For an already withdrawn country to return, perhaps better conditions are needed.
The ESC history of Montenegro in this decade has been interesting, to say the least. For me, they’ve almost always been in either top 10 (Adio, Inje, Moj svijet), or bottom 5 (Space, Real Thing, Euro neuro, Heaven). The only exception was Igranka, the song I’m okay with, but still confused about.
Hope to see them again in the near future.

Last edited 1 month ago by Colin
Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde
1 month ago

I don ‘t like most of the entry’s from Montenegro, but I loved their songs from
Sergej ?etkovi? – Moj Svijet and Knez – Adio
I hope they will partcipate in the coming years

Azaad
Azaad
1 month ago

Their Montenegrin language entries (especially the Balkan ballads) were always very good. Definitely one of the countries who benefitted from performing in their native language.

1 month ago

I would like to know from EB0U where we stand with confirmed countries. AFAIR someone talked about the 10 October deadline. What’s the timetable for this Eurovision year?

1 month ago

I *am* disappointed that Montenegro is not coming back. I would like to see Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Hungary, Luxembourg, Monaco and Turkey returning.

NickC
NickC
1 month ago

Montenegro just had a government change, No? Can it be related to this? Particularly because the new government is less pro-Western?

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  NickC

Given how regularly Russia competes, I can’t imagine that itself would be the reason. If the government is really socially conservative as in Hungary’s case, maybe, but a shifting relationship of foreign policy on its own wouldn’t impact participation.

I think the reasoning they gave was actually accurate. It’s costly for small broadcasters, and the opportunity cost of competing/not competing rises when you consistently finish with bad results.

Denis
Denis
1 month ago

Montenegro started of last decade by not competing two years in a row. Is this a trend?

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Denis

If it means that they’ll be back for 2022 I sure hope so

sam
sam
1 month ago

they’re just sore losers. let’s hope for hungary and keep our spirits high for kazakhstans long awaited debut

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
1 month ago

legends better use the saved money to buy a private jet to reach the eurovision 2022 host city

Legends?

1 month ago

“Instead, the broadcaster intended to reallocate its Eurovision budget towards buying new cars.”
I thought this was a joke on Robyn’s part but no, that’s really what’s up.

James
James
Reply to  Briekimchi

To be fair, cars used for news gathering are not cheap, assuming RTCG is actually investing on getting new OB vans (outside broadcast vans).

ESC8
ESC8
1 month ago

I was 100% sure that we wouldn’t get Hungary back, but I had really high hopes about Montenegro. Ok, they’re not the powerhouse of the contest, but for me, the more the merrier. My favourite entry was Igranka (2013) because it was something way different and I also like Adio (2015). Regarding the other countries not having confirmed: I don’t think that the UK is withdrawing, but I really don’t know why they’ve been so silent. I thought that maybe Belarus was about to withdraw but since they’ve confirmed for JESC I think that they’ll do the adult ESC as… Read more »

Erasmus
Erasmus
Reply to  ESC8

Hungary still may come back tho.

1998
1998
Reply to  Erasmus

Hungary still technically never withdrew. But as time is passing it may happen that Hungary will withdraw as well.

ESC8
ESC8
Reply to  Erasmus

I really hope that they will come back, but I don’t see this happening this year at least. If they were about to make a comeback they would have said something. This year could be more convenient for them, meaning that last year they didn’t specify the reasons for their withdrawal (we suspect that it was a goverment choice, but this was never confirmed). This year they could use the pandemic excuse, they could say that they don’t want to participate due to covid19 concerns.

RavensHeart
RavensHeart
1 month ago

UK will obviously be present. We’ve competed every year since 1959, the longest continual record of ANY country.

Aris Odi
Reply to  RavensHeart

Actually Germany has competed in every contest except for 1996 where they were eliminated in the pre-qualifying round

Lujxk
Lujxk

Not that tragic though, I can’t remember a good song from Montenegro at ESC

kop
kop
1 month ago

Adio is great, one and only Zeljko Joksimovic, can’t miss with that formula. Btw hope we will still see Knez’s daughter Ksenija performing for Serbia in 2021!

1 month ago

“Adio” is my favourite entry from Montenegro. I liked it from the first time I heard it. I still listen to it regularly along with Slavko’s song. Too bad that he had such weak vocals. But he’s funny and I appreciate him for his song.

Ashton
Ashton
1 month ago

disregarding slavko’s vocal, space actually slaps

1 month ago

Slavko’s performance could have been EPIC had they invested in his performance. I listen to that song and all I see is a performance at Beyoncé’s level of epicness. Not they they would need that kind of money for a never-to-forget performance for-all-the-right-reasons. And could have qualified to the final. What a sad semi that was for me, no Montenegro, no Finland, no Iceland, no Czech Republic, no Latvia.

Reply to  Lujxk

Moj svijet, Adio, Inje.

NickC
NickC
Reply to  Colin

Inje was horrendous, sorry. Other two were excellent. I also liked Igranka.

Reply to  NickC

It was pretty excellent in my book. I am glad to see you agree from at least two of them. I liked Igranka too, although not as much as these three. It’s an unusual song and they took the risk. Overall, certainly on a good side.

Unfortunately, after these four, my ratings of their songs decline drastically. But this is still a proof they can do well. 🙂

Rottendam
Rottendam

Excuses for Montenegro withdrawing:

2019: New cars
2020: Car owner virus

Reply to  Rottendam

Hilarious!

Kung Frederik 90
Kung Frederik 90
1 month ago

No. Please Montenegro Think twice and don’t quit the show.

Nicky
Nicky
1 month ago

and approach Aca Lukas daddy pls, i’d love that turbo folk god at ESC so badly

Tom
Tom
1 month ago

I think we will have the same number of ESC countries as in 2020 …till 10 of october, countries could withdraw without penalization i guess

esc2021rotterdam
esc2021rotterdam
1 month ago

It really seems like that countries that weren’t to participate in 2020 won’t join in 2021. The only countries from 2020 that haven’t confirmed if they participate are: UK, Belarus and Portugal. I don’t see the UK withdrawing as they are in the big 5 and BBC is participating (but it’s really hard to bet if they choose James again or go with a new act), I actually think Belarus will participate because they’re participating in the junior eurovision this year despite the political situation there but I think that only lukashenko supporters will be able to go, about Portugal… Read more »

Azaad
Azaad
1 month ago

Aren’t the BBC kind of obligated to do ESC annually, because they’re big 5? If they withdraw, wouldn’t they have to relinquish their status? I do think that the BBC can internally select James on a point of fairness, especially when the British public thought the song was decent.

Brits are far more angry with the government and given that the BBC is quite independent for a state funded broadcaster, people wouldn’t really associate Eurovision and the BBC with the government’s callous incompetence during the pandemic.

1 month ago

If resources are important then the smart decision is to build on those from 2020. Other broadcasters do that. In addition to that, it’s become somehow painfully obvious to me that lots of private money is involved with some acts. So some become really big on stage. Other broadcasters withdraw because of lack of. About the UK – someone here said a year or two ago that the BBC gets the right to broadcast about 8 hours of entertainment just from the fee they pay. A common ground could be a minimalistic show but I am sure that some broadcasters… Read more »

1 month ago

On the other hand, Eurovision *can* be a means for an entire country for something to look forward to and rally around their act and support it. And be part of the best thing that Europe has. And contribute to that spirit of “belonging” alongside 40 other countries and peoples.
Not spending money on Eurovision does not mean that the problems of a country will be solved. People also need entertainment to feel good. Promoting Eurovision would not cost that much – just better and smarter use of resources.

IHPIESC
IHPIESC

What’s a pity. But I am still counting On Hungary

Nas
Nas
Reply to  IHPIESC

Should we still count on Hungary even if they displayed a disinterest towards Eurovision since 2019 NQ, possibly?

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  IHPIESC

Given that Hungary identified LGBTQ+ and immigrant inclusion in the contest as their issue with it (vile reasoning but it’s Fidesz and they’re in charge) I could see them returning when the contest isn’t hosted by the West and then sticking around for a bit if they do well.

Reply to  Azaad

That’d be pretty freakin’ ironic since they’ve fielded immigrants as contestants before.

Piotr
Piotr
1 month ago

It’s sad to see any country leave, even if they didn’t serve quality in some time. Hope to see Montenegro return soon (cause in Hungary’s case the return is hardly believable if government stays the same way it is now)