She’s the Freaky Queen who’s set to represent San Marino at Eurovision 2021. In the next of her monthly #FREAKYTRIPTOROTTERDAM covers, Senhit has tackled another Eurovision classic, Conchita Wurst’s “Rise Like a Phoenix”.

Senhit has taken inspiration from Conchita by making facial hair part of her look. She wears a luxurious moustache and pays tribute to the legendary Queen frontman Freddie Mercury.

The song begins with the familiar rhythm of Queen’s “We Will Rock You” before the familiar tones of the 2014 Eurovision winning song begin. The music keeps it simple and elegant, with an orchestral accompaniment as well as some organ and dark piano.

Lyrically, the concept of “Rise Like a Phoenix” could be seen as referring to Eurovision 2021, rising from the ashes of the cancelled 2020 show. But there’s also Conchita’s original message, of overcoming personal hurdles.

While Senhit’s previous videos have features a colourful collection of extras, for “Rise Like a Phoenix” Senhit goes it alone. She performs the song in a swimming pool, wearing only dark trousers and a pair of metal angel wings.

With the video again directed by Luca Tommassini, it’s a bold vision, showing both strength and vulnerability. Senhit again shows she’s not afraid to experiment with gender constructs, expressing both the masculine and feminine. And like Freddie Mercury, Senhit uses elements of queer culture in her video art.

“I want to talk about the value of freedom of expression”

As with all of Senhit’s previous videos, there’s a deep concept behind the pop and glamour. Talking about the theme of the video, Senhit said, “With this project I want to talk about the value of freedom of expression, to reflect on the rights of human beings without distinction.”

The video ends with a quote from Freddie Mercury — “I won’t be a rock star. I will be a legend.” If Senhit’s covers are anything to go by, she is set to give a legendary Eurovision performance.

In Senhit’s #FREAKYTRIPTOROTTERDAM series, every month the Eritrean Italian diva releases a cover of a Eurovision classic. Previous covers have included “Cheesecake”“Everyway That I Can”“Ding-a-Dong” and “Congratulations”. Senhit will represent San Marino at Eurovision 2021.

What do you think of Senhit’s latest cover? What sort of song would you like to hear her take to Eurovision 2021? Tell us your thoughts below!

Read more San Marino Eurovision news here

F.T.
F.T.
14 days ago

She is out now with a new video with Benny Benassi. To me it seems a great job!

VIENNA
VIENNA
28 days ago

Conchita has competition!

1 month ago

I love Senhit and I love San Marino but I didn’t particularly liked this power ballad for her. I think that the “Freaky” style is more suited for her voice. And personality from what I’ve gathered from the videos/interviews I have seen of her. Or something like “Lonely Simphony” of UK 1994 which would be my top choice for a cover.

Kirby
Kirby
1 month ago

Why so many expensive videos for so few views and comments? Is that really worth it?

1 month ago
Reply to  Kirby

OMG I have missed the opportunity of having my lonely comment partying solo in the comment section of all these articles on Senhit’s freaky trip to Rotterdam!!
She must have more views on her channel. In any case I am happy to see this effort – whether it’s her own project or part of the San Marino endeavours to do a do job in Rotterdam 2021!!!

1 month ago
Reply to  Kirby

Considering all the resources put in these videos – I think it is worth it. I’ve been watching interviews that Jan Bors makes on his channel – for those who don’t know he’s in the know as former HoD of my newest favourite country in Eurovision – that is Czechia. He makes interviews with people involved in the contest – so my knowledge of Eurovision gets to new heights week by week!! So my understanding of Senhit’s approach is that *it might be important* to be there and get exposure outside the season in order to get more attention from… Read more »

1 month ago
Reply to  Kirby

And I also think that this is an awesome approach versus all other countries with internal selection that keep a tight lid on their artists or songs. San Marino may be lucky to have Senhit and all these resources because other countries seem to be more invested in secrecy or a win as opposed to promoting their artists and culture for the world to see. And there are other countries with less resources, or *sadly* less interest to make better preparations during pre-season. Those that are not invested in all that secrecy, OMG!!!!! So far my best two countries for… Read more »

28 days ago
Reply to  Kirby

it doesn’t really look that expensive…

James
James
28 days ago
Reply to  Kirby

The video has 150K views on Youtube, and the last one has nearly 400K, I think that’s a pretty decent return for her effort.