Which Roxen Eurovision song is your favourite?

Following the cancellation of Eurovision last year, the majority of the class of 2020 received the comeback ticket to sing again at Eurovision 2021. A massive 26 artists will return to represent their countries at Eurovision 2021. But as per the standard Eurovision rules, they’ve all got new songs.

Thus, comparisons to their previous entries are inevitable. So, we want to hear from our readers. We’re running a series of polls to ask — do you prefer the returning artists’ 2020 or 2021 songs?

Today, we’re shining a light on Romania. In 2020, Roxen was set to take “Alcohol You” to Rotterdam. This year, she’ll be singing “Amnesia” at Eurovision 2021. But which song is your favourite? Vote in our poll now!

Scroll down to vote in our poll.

“Alcohol You” (Romania 2020)

Roxen was originally internally selected to represent Romania at Eurovision 2020. But the choice of which song she would go to the contest with was given to the public. Roxen performed five songs at Selecția Națională 2020, with “Alcohol You” emerging victorious. A subtle yet sophisticated ballad, the song title played on the phrase ‘I will call you’.

The Wiwi Jury — our in-house panel of music unprofessionals — awarded “Alcohol You” an average score of 7.35 out of 10. In his review, wiwiblogger Deban wrote:

“Understated in delivery, but yet so sophisticated, “Alcohol You” is the standout ballad in a sea of dirge. The vulnerability here is compelling. Clever puns weave into infectious melodies to create a powerfully charged heady cocktail of emotions. It isn’t easy to write songs like these, and it’s even harder to give them a floaty feeling. Roxen is a rare find and excels in her delivery of this track.”

“Amnesia” (Romania 2021)

Romanian broadcaster TVR eventually confirmed that Roxen would be re-selected to compete at Eurovision 2021. This time, her song was also internally selected.

Her 2021 entry “Amnesia” increases the things slightly to a mid-tempo track, though it tries to capture a similar understated emotional vibe. Roxen sings to those people who might be bringing themselves down and reminds them that they’re not alone.

Poll battle — Romania: Which Roxen Eurovision entry do you prefer?

In this poll, you can only vote for one song — so choose wisely. And as always, you can only vote once. Let the battle commence!

Which of Roxen’s Eurovision songs do you prefer? Are you team “Alcohol You” or team “Amnesia”? Let us know in the comments below!

Vote in more Eurovision polls here

PP77
PP77

2020

Vytautas
Vytautas
1 month ago

I like Amnesia much more than Alcohol You, though my favourite remains Cherry Red.

1 month ago

I love both songs so much; I really can’t choose. The main difference is that “Alcohol You” is a lot more extremely accented, punctuated and somewhat OTT, which is good for ESC of course. But “Amnesia” has a wonderful flow about it, and has a very clear message that resonates throughout the rhythms of the music. Both are fantastic on the piano of course. 🙂
Ohh this is a really tough decision… No, I can’t do it. I like them both.

Carolina
Carolina
1 month ago

I like Roxen..the world had enough of overrating and exhibition of Dua Lipa and Billie Eilish..The world needs to know her cuz she’s got the same potential of a megastar….i’m from Chile southamerica..and i loved her!!

Last edited 1 month ago by Carolina
Fabrizio
Fabrizio

2021, with a good staging it´s a top10 for sure

Leendert Jan
Leendert Jan
1 month ago

I must say I prefer Amnesia, because it feels like it suits her better. I don’t really know why; I guess it’s more in line with the other songs I heard from her, especially the songs in Romanian. It also lacks the bad lyrics of Alcohol You. I really liked that too, but Amnesia does make a bigger impression on me.

Ieva
Ieva
1 month ago

Amnesia is good but Alcohol You is a masterpiece. My winner last year.

Darren
Darren

Amnesia – easily.

I actually didn’t like Alcohol You at all, it felt too Billie Eilish. Amnesia feels a lot more natural, organic and fresh. Roxen is being Roxen here.

1 month ago

I enjoy both songs, but I like Amnesia better than AY. It’s sort of a 100% v 95% situation, not much of a difference.

Mp12
Mp12
1 month ago

My winner 2 years in a row! Really loved Alcohol You and love Amnesia so much. Go Roxen

Last edited 1 month ago by Mp12
Dawid
Dawid

2020 was ok. I wouldn’t mind 2021 winning the whole thing

Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde
1 month ago

The song “Amnesia”. is not bad, but for me “Alcohol you” is so much better. It was my nr. 1 last year.

1 month ago

I am pretty sure I was the biggest fan of “Alcohol You” in the whole universe. I still love it and it still moves me to the core. Excellent lyrics, amazing instrumentation, very intelligent construction of the music with its layers and subtle or obvious intensity at the right moments. A masterpice made by Ionut Armas, Viky Red and Breyan Isaac. If we could only know how what the staging would have been like. I love this song so much. It’s part of me, almost. That is how much I love it. My number 1 in 2020. “Amnesia” is an… Read more »

Leo
Leo

Don’t worry
I believe if Romania keep collaborating with global records, a victory in upcoming years is inevitable

Reply to  Leo

Yes, hopefully. 🙂

1 month ago

Alcohol You is my 3rd of 2020. It’s really layered and impactful with all the drama it has. Amnesia is certainly a slower burning song for me, but I still find it fascinating. Roxen connects well with the audiences and thus, is able to sell this introspective songs really well. I think that Amnesia will be in my top ten and I will likely give her my vote in the semi. Bravo, Romania! 🙂

eha
eha

I prefer Alcohol You,
except the “fake news” lyrics part

ESC8
ESC8
1 month ago

Amnesia is my number 1 for 2021 so there’s no comparison for me. I didn’t like Alcohol You and I never got the hype about it, but I adore Amnesia. Sadly I cannot vote in the 1st semi but I think that it’ll make it through, I mean as things stand right now, only 6 songs won’t qualify from semi 1 and I cannot imagine Amnesia being one of those 6.

Thanos
Thanos
1 month ago

Amnesia is amazing and to be honest I am surprised it’s not considered a favourite for the win in May!! I think that it will end up higher than most people believe. I like Alcohol you as well.

Last edited 1 month ago by Thanos
ESC8
ESC8
Reply to  Thanos

Exactly what I was thinking! Why isn’t it considered a favourite for the win?

Disco_998
Disco_998
Reply to  ESC8

I think that might be because for some people, it’s a grower it’s not immediate so for the people who will hear it for the first time in may, it might not be impactful and so it might not get the necessary votes

Don’t get me wrong I love amnesia but I don’t think everyone else does

Nicola
Nicola
1 month ago

Although I love ‘Alcohol You’, ‘Amnesia’ just hits differently. Absolutely loved it on first listen and got hit with so many emotions. Currently my 2nd in my top, but I know it has no chance of winning 🙁

Sankseniva
Sankseniva
1 month ago

I like Roxen and all her other songs including amnesia, but nothing comes even close to alcohol you tbh

Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde
Reply to  Sankseniva

I totally agree with you !!

Coco
Coco
1 month ago

2021 is a good year, with many equal songs, but this is what makes it even better. Loved Cherry Red, Alcohol You was good, but…not really top 5, Amnesia can deliver a huge surprise in a year like this.

Giorgio
Giorgio
1 month ago

Melodically I prefer Alcohol You, although the lyrics were quite forced. Amnesia on the other hand is the other way around, I like the lyrics and the message a little bit more than the song itself., I hope that Roxen will deliver the song beautifully on stage, in which case I will vote for her.

Ivar
Ivar
1 month ago

“Alcohol you” was in my top 3 last year. I love the nerve and intensity of that song. I find “Amnesia” much weaker. For me, it is a borderline qualifier from the semifinal.

Leo
Leo
1 month ago

Imagine having one of the best photoshoots but you end up choosing the worst one for your single artwork 😐

Grft
Grft
1 month ago

In other news Barbara Pravi’s Voilà is #1 on iTunes in … Spain ?!!!!

Lebanese esc fan
Lebanese esc fan
Reply to  Grft

We LOVE to see it!!!

Grft
Grft

Alcohol you 100%. Amnesia is a bit weak :/

notyourtoy
notyourtoy
1 month ago

Alcohol you was in my top 3 actually, alongside Destiny and Victoria. This year I place it much lower (somewhere near the 20th, as I have songs I love more than this one, which doesn’t mean that this is a downgrade). About “Amnesia”, the staging will be a crucial factor, even though I’m worried about the vocals, cause I’m not sure if she will bring them well, by the time this is a really difficult song

Yudhistira Mahasena
1 month ago

“Amnesia”. Had Eurovision 2020 been held, for me “Alcohol you” would have had a small chance of qualifying to the final and not qualified. At first I thought “Amnesia” wouldn’t qualify this year, but after listening to the song, it grew on me because it has a meaningful message.

Kenny03
Kenny03
1 month ago

I’ll be honest I did not like alcohol you and wasn’t too hyped for the new song. On first listen of amnesia I was so so, but after watching the music video I got it. Definitely could be left hand side of the leaderboard, but staging needs to be on it.

Lisa

Amnesia

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean
1 month ago

Definitely “Alcohol You”. It was my winner last year. I have warmed up to “Amnesia”, though. I would place it somewhere between 11th and 15th for now. I see its merits but it doesn’t come close to “Alcohol You”, which was such a standout that I thought it was crazy she wasn’t among the top favorites. The messages are superb in both songs, though.

Last edited 1 month ago by Mr Vanilla Bean
hello hi
hello hi
1 month ago

Easily amnesia. In my top 3 . Didn’t care much for alcohol you .

1 month ago

The piano in both beginnings is just beautiful.

Kosey
Kosey
1 month ago

I miss the drama and intensity of Alcohol You. For me, Amnesia doesn’t have the same emotional bite.

Richard
Richard
1 month ago

What does ‘self-love amnesia’ actually mean, I can only speculate, and most of the lyrics were lost in production, but despite it all I found myself really drawn into this song and Roxen’s fabulous, slightly smoky voice. This is sure to do well, the video is fabulous and if she can produce the same kind of magic on stage who knows what might happen.

Lebanese esc fan
Lebanese esc fan
Reply to  Richard

I also was confused by that lyric haha, but I believe it means forgetting (amnesia) to love one’s self (self-love). A rather awkward way to phrase it for sure, but still a great song with a very relevant message!

Nobody Important
Nobody Important
1 month ago

Amnesia for me. I never understood the hype around Alcohol You.

James
James
1 month ago

The hype was more towards “Cherry Red” if I recall. But I agree, “Amnesia” is the better song of the two. The word play in Roxen’s earlier song was a little on the nose for the sake of trying to sound hip.

Idksmth
1 month ago

2021 for me is excellent while I thought Alcohol You couldn’t be more overrated and it was in my bottom 3 of 2020. I really love Amnesia musically and the lyrics convey the message brilliantly. I’m rooting for Romania this year (sadly can’t vote for them in the semi) but I will in the Grand Final because they are very likely to be there.