After two talent-packed Selecția Națională semi-finals and tonight’s grand final, Romania has selected its act for Eurovision 2019. Ester Peony was won the ticket to Tel Aviv will her song “On a Sunday”.
The voting was decided by six-person jury and a public televote. The televote was equal to one jury member — one-seventh of the total vote.
At the end of the jury’s votes, Ester was in the lead with 65 points, Bella Santiago was in second place with 50 points for her “Army of Love”, while Laura Bretan was a close third with 48 points for “Dear Father”.
When it came time for the televote, the Romanian public didn’t exactly agree with the jury. The televote only gave three points to Ester. Instead, their eight points went to Bella Santiago, the ten went to Trooper with “Destin”, and the public’s 12 points went to Laura Bretan.
But it wasn’t enough to topple Ester Peony from the leaderboard. The “On a Sunday” singer will be heading to Tel Aviv in May to represent Romania.
Selecția Națională 2019 – results
Final vote with televote totals
- Ester Peony – “On a Sunday” (65 points)
- Laura Bretan – “Dear Father” (60 points)
- Bella Santiago – “Army of Love” (58 points)
- Linda Teodosiu – “Renegades” (42 points)
- Letiția Moisescu and Sensibil Balkan – “Daina” (40 points)
- Vaida – “Underground” (35 points)
- Trooper – “Destin” (29 points)
- Olivier Kaye – “Right Now” (27 points)
- Claudiu Mirea – “We Are the Ones” (19 points)
- Aldo Blaga – “Your Journey” (14 points)
- Dya and Lucian Colareza – “Without You (Sin ti)” (10 points)
- Teodora Dinu – “Skyscraper” (7 points)
What do you think? Are you pleased with these results? Do you think Ester can take “On a Sunday” to the Saturday grand final in Tel Aviv? Tell us your thoughts below!
After more than 800 comments, commenting on this post has now been closed. Thank you for being part of the discussion.