Semi-final one of Vidbir 2020 will kick off on Saturday 8 February. Eight acts will fight for three tickets to the final.

While broadcasters STB and UA:PBC are preparing the stage for them in Kyiv, we just had to ask who you think should win the first semi.A total of 3,285 votes were cast. The voting was tight, but eventually Assol came out on top.

Assol is your favourite to win the Ukraine’s Vidbir 2020 semi-final one

Singer Assol emerged on top with 23.59% of the vote, which amounts to around 775 votes.

The 25-year-old songstress originates from Donetsk and started singing and performing as soon as she could stand. Born Kateryna Humenyuk, Assol took her pseudonym from the name of the main character in the novel Scarlet Sails by Alexander Grin. During semi-final one of Vidbir 2020, she’ll sing “Save It”, a song which preaches that helping the world starts with oneself.

Jerry Heil and Go-A are your other favourites

Your second favourite of this semi-final is Jerry Heil, who received 21.98% of the votes.

Jerry initially found fame as a YouTube star in her native Ukraine. Recently, the young starlet also started a music career and will soon embark on a tour. But before that, she performs “Vegan” at Vidbir 2020. She previously described her song as “funny, but with a social message”. “Vegan” talks about a young girl’s struggles with society questioning her reasons to stop eating meat.

Kyiv band Go-A is your third favourite. Go-A received 19.21% of the votes.

Singer Kataryna Pavlenko, multi-instrumentalist Taras Shevchenko, sopilka player Ihor Didenchuk and guitarist Ivan Hryhoryak comprise Go-A. They combine EDM, traditional Ukrainian music and Drum & Bass. Experimenting is not something that scares them. Those who love some classic Slavic folktronica will be in for a treat with their song “Solovey”.

Poll Results: Who should win semi-final one of Ukraine’s Vidbir 2020?

1. Assol – “Save It” 23.59%  (775 votes)
  2. Jerry Heil – “Vegan” 21.98%  (722 votes)
  3. Go-A – “Solovey” 19.21%  (632 votes)
  4. Cloudless – “Drown Me Down” 19.18%  (630 votes)
  5. [O] – “Tam, kudy ya ydu” 8.25%  (271 votes)
  6. Krutь – “99” 3.23%  (106 votes)
  7. Katya Chilly – “Pich” 2.80%  (92 votes)
  8. Gio – “Feeling So Lost” 1.77%  (56 votes)

Total Votes: 3,285

Are your favourites among the top three? Who do you want to see sail through to the final of Ukraine’s Vidbir 2020? Let us know in the comments below!

Read all our Ukraine news here

Chimpunk
Chimpunk

Not that it matters, but if Wiwi team can relatively quickly check the origin of Assols surprise win – could be useful.
She is a former child star whose fame was fueled not the least by parents financing. So we have a danger of new Mika Newton in making.

Film
Film

Im most interested in Jerry Heil, Go-A, Cloudless and Krut?. This is very competitive semi, we are going to loose some good ones here no matter what. I wish we had more spots for the final than three from this semi. Its a lot stronger than the second.

lasse braun
lasse braun

– why no reactionvideo for ukraine semi 1?
we will see a massacre saturday evening – no idea in which direction it goes and who will survive this but no nothing from team wiwibloggs?

Apple
Apple

This semi is so hard to judge. I know Cloudless and Gio have my least favorite songs but I love the other 6. I’d take any combination of them as long as it includes Go_A. Super happy to see Assol do well in the poll considering no one has been talking about the song. I thought I was the only one feeling it at the moment

lasse braun
lasse braun
Reply to  Apple

this is the strongest semi (in all countries) i have seen in years!
the big questions are:what musicstyle prefer the jury – traditionell or more mainstream.
how much like the ukrain televoters their own traditionell music or is fanbase king as we know from melovin ect.?
and most important how they all will perform live on stage?
have seen only a few stage seconds from Krut? but i am total in love – why is that beauty song so far behind here in the poll?

Alchemist
Alchemist

Vegan is catchy, but is sounds like a copy of Taylor Swift’s You need to calm down.

Roelof Meesters
Roelof Meesters

How did Assol win this poll?

Alex M
Alex M

She was lower than [O] up until the last day of poll. Obviously her dad hired some botfarm to boost the votes and also Youtube views.

ESCaddict
ESCaddict

In the Czech Republic national selection we had “We All Pop”. Now we have Assol. This is too much. LOL.

Kosey
Kosey

I am not sure if I can face the vegan song at ESC. If it gets through I might seriously have to think about turning the sound down.

Mia
Mia

How about no

lasse braun
lasse braun

go-a,krut? & [o] to the final please.
go-a is cool as hell and krut? is an angel coming to earth!

Apple
Apple
Reply to  lasse braun

I have the same top 3 here I think!! Very happy someone else likes 99 as much as I do. I’ve seen some of her performances with her bandura and I know her Vidbir performance will probably be magic

Musimakeup
Musimakeup

Go-A could work i like it. Sounds like a more contemporary take on what Poland sent last year. But Jerry Heil is way more fun….and it counts too 🙂 🙂

Nick
Nick

after watching few backstage and rehearsal vids on YouTube I can say one thing… Jerry Heil sounds horrible live, juries will destroy her …

Albert
Albert

My favorite is Save it, it’s a good song, even if its a “generic” tropical song

OhhHoney
OhhHoney

Go_A, cloudless and [O] should be the three qualifiers.

Berta
Berta

Go-A must win this semi, but probably it will be annoying as hell Jerry Heil, I can’t wait to watch live show tomorrow.

and I just really hope Vegan will not win Vidbir,cos it will be the first NQ for my country ((
Khayat and Go-A my two absolute favs this year

Apple
Apple
Reply to  Berta

Go_A is my number one fave too. I was excited for Khayat but I think a few artists have better songs than him this year (mainly Go_A, [O], and Krut?)

Tibor
Tibor

We still don’t know Katya Chilly’s song, do we? So I’ll keep waiting, before making up my mind, I like her other stuff.

Berta
Berta
Reply to  Tibor

ita been leaked yesterday, you can hear snippet on YouTube in diferent tops videos

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Berta

Thanks, but the snippets I found are too short for me to form an opinion. I guess I’ll have to wait until tomorrow. 🙂

Apple
Apple
Reply to  Tibor

Someone uploaded it on soundcloud I think. Honestly I can’t make sense of the song. I think it’s one of those things that only makes sense when you see it live.

bryn collins
bryn collins

vegan for the win

Emma
Emma

Go-A is my winner. Drown me down is a boring 5SOS song and vegan is kinda annoying.

Loli
Loli

Go_a is funtastic!!!!

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean

‘Drown me down’ ain’t so bad, except for the use of English. I’d still pick this one out of this bunch and pretend he’s singing in another language.