Eurovision Winners 1980s

This year at wiwibloggs we are celebrating the festive season with a series of different polls. For the next few days, we’re going to stuff your stockings with a selection of Eurovision votes. Consider this a unique riff on the classic “Twelve Days of Christmas” carol.

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, you can join us and let us know your thoughts for each and every poll. Today’s question — Who is your favourite Eurovision winner of the 1980s?

Eurovision winners: 1980 to 1989

The 1980s was a decade of big hits. Several of the winning numbers went on to become continent-wide chart smashes, while one performer would soon be a global household name. The performer was, of course, Céline Dion for Switzerland in 1988. The big hits came from Ireland (with Johnny Logan on two occasions), United Kingdom and Germany.

Other fan favourite entries came from Sweden, Norway and Belgium. Yugoslavia got its first win, shortly before its collapse, while Luxembourg enjoyed one last hurrah ahead of its permanent withdrawal in the 1990s.

1980: Johnny Logan — “What’s Another Year” (Ireland)

1981: Bucks Fizz — “Making Your Mind Up” (United Kingdom)

1982: Nicole — “Ein bißchen Frieden” (Germany)

1983: Corinne Hermès — “Si la vie est cadeau” (Luxembourg)

1984: Herreys — “Diggi-Loo Diggi-Ley” (Sweden)

1985: Bobbysocks! — “La det swinge” (Norway)

1986: Sandra Kim — “J’aime la vie” (Belgium)

1987: Johnny Logan — “Hold Me Now” (Ireland)

1988: Céline Dion — “Ne partez pas sans moi” (Switzerland)

1989: Riva — “Rock Me” (Yugoslavia)

Poll: Who is your favourite Eurovision winner of the 1980s?

1998
1998

The best one: 1987
The most overrated one: 1981
The worst one: 1983

Bella
Bella

Sandra Kim is a little ray of sunshine. I think part of what made her win is that the whole performance feels very uplifting and genuine: you can see on her face she’s just a happy pre-teenager who actually “loves life”.

Princess Peregrine
Princess Peregrine

I like most of the winners this decade. Except 1984 (I still don’t understand how this beat Ireland) and 1989 (so many great songs that year and this won!!?!)

Crystal

I couldn’t really decide on one for the 1980s, so I ended up picking 1982, 1984, 1985, and 1988. Nicole’s (1982) I picked because it’s had such a lasting legacy in the nearly 40 years since its win…I mean, they even had Ilse DeLange and Michael Schulte cover it for the Europe Shine a Light special! Herreys (1984) and Bobbysocks! (1985) I picked simply because both were such fun songs and memorable performances. And then Céline Dion (1988) because Eurovision was really her first big break outside of the world of Francophone music and it helped set her up for… Read more »

I assumed that Céline would win this one, so I voted for Nicole (1982) instead. I know Ralph Siegel has his critics, but that pretty 1982 song is still very close to my heart, so thank you Ralph for writing it.

My vote goes to “Hold Me Now”, though Johnny did a better job performing “What’s Another Year”. And Celine can’t be ignored, of course. But the 80’s may be my least favorite decade of Eurovision. Since I love 80’s music, I guess the contest failed to embrace the new sounds of that time. Sadly, they embraced all the terrible looks of that time.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Sabrina

That’s the thing, in the 80s more than in any other decade, with very few exceptions Eurovision had nothing to do with the music that was popular at the time, hence my suspicion that something must have happened to the contest during the transition from the 70s. “Hold me now” is perhaps the only song that sounds like 80s pop music, but it comes at least five years too late. I don’t know if they have been a hit in Brazil, but at the beginning of the 80s there were two very popular movies, a French teenage comedy called “La… Read more »

Last edited 7 months ago by Tibor
Reply to  Tibor

I don’t know about this particular movie you mentioned, but yeah, “Hold Me Now” could pop up in most 80’s movies and fit perfectly. I also see Riva’s song as considerably 80’s, but coming a few years later too.

Germany.

Ben R
Ben R

1983’s runner up ‘Chai/Hi’ (at least in my opinion) is far better than the actual winner that year, ‘Si la vie est cadeau’, and it definitely would’ve been my favorite winner of the decade if Ofra Haza had won. On the other hand, Israel was a deserved runner up in 1982 with ‘Hora’, as Germany totally deserved to win that year, so I guess ‘Ein Bisschen Frieden’ is my favorite winner of the decade, with the previous year’s winner ‘Making Your Mind Up’ coming in second and 1989’s ‘Rock Me’ in third.

Last edited 7 months ago by Ben R
Mariah
Mariah

Fabulous Celine

ESCFan31
ESCFan31

I just can’t get past Johnny Logan. I mean, he’s Mr. Eurovision!

Hold Me Now easily

Rasmus Bording Irlind
Rasmus Bording Irlind

celine dion all the way, though i’d prefer if she had worn a pair of white pants instead of that tutu. but eh, it was the 1980’s

PP77
PP77

UK 1981 is like Latvia 2002, they win because clever staging. Song Don t panic was better song in UK national final 1981

PP77

PP77
Reply to  PP77

Austria or Spain in 1989

Ben R
Ben R
Reply to  PP77

Ofra Haza was robbed. Not only was ‘Chai’ so much better than ‘Si la Vie Est Cadeau,’ but it’s still a very famous, celebrated song in Israel and her performance was much more entertaining than Luxembourg’s.

Catriona Colville
Catriona Colville

Rock Me is such an underrated winner.

Kosey
Kosey

I just had to vote for Buck’s Fizz – truly iconic.

Tibor
Tibor

I’m still not over 80s fashion, hairstyles and Eurovision winners. I have no recollection whatsover of the 1983 winner, it’s like I’ve never heard that song before, but I definitely must have … I cannot cope with these happy clappy upbeat songs with nonsense titles like “Diggi-loo Diggi-ley” (I mean, come on) and my tinnitus goes haywire when I listen to Sandra Kim belt “J’aime j’aime la vie” for three minutes. There were better songs in the mix, of course, but the 80s Eurovision juries were obviously just very conservative and never went for them – in the 70s this… Read more »

Last edited 7 months ago by Tibor
Reply to  Tibor

Nice to know I’m not the only one who can’t save 1983’s winning entry on my brain. It’s like 2011’s, no matter how many times I listen to it, it doesn’t stick. While I would love to forget “Diggi-Loo Diggi-Ley”, but it’s impossible.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Sabrina

I remember Diggi-loo Diggi-ley vaguely and have been very careful to not click on the video, so I don’t reactivate that memory by accident … 😉

Last edited 7 months ago by Tibor
mandarinaitsme
mandarinaitsme

Johny Logan – Hold me now!

NickC
NickC

I cannot choose, I love them all! That was when music was “feeling” and not “fireworks” without fancy LEDs, over choreographed, over-produced songs, or singers without stories.
Those were the days, my friend!

Germany 1982. Such nice and no-nonsense and meaningful and timebound yet timeless lyrics. Those combined with the heart-melting music .. It feels so honest. It would be too good for Eurovision these days. It’s probably the most iconic Eurovision winner for me. The best German entry in history.

sangfreudx
sangfreudx

Absolutely agree. It’s one of those rare songs that sounds like it’s always existed.

Lollipop ESC
Lollipop ESC

Nicole – a little peace because it had that important message during the cold war times ……and the 2nd is Céline Dion because there she started to be a worldwide superstar.