Post-Eurovision Depression is hitting Iceland, just like every other nation in Europe. But Icelanders are a happy bunch in general, and we don’t let a little summer depression stop us or our love for Eurovision. The nation actually devours everything Eurovision related, all year round, and those who say otherwise are lying. Fact. 95% of the Icelandic people watched the final this year. The other 5% said they were watching Game of Thrones, but they weren’t. They were eagerly practising Måns’ dance moves, so they could show off on the dance floor during the summer. Here are the top five reasons why Iceland is the best place to be a Eurovision fanatic.
1. You never fly solo amongst Icelandic Eurofanatics.
Eurofanatics tend to seek each other out.
And once they meet, they’ll unite in sheer Eurovision happiness.
2. We’re optimistic by nature.
This is done every year before the semi finals:
And then followed by this:
Except this year, which brings us to reason number 3.
3. Quick recovery is our trademark.
OK, so our masterplan of music didn’t work. Oh, the tragedy! So for five minutes, we were like this:
But then we brush off the negativity and decide that dwelling on the past is soooo yesterday, and we do this:
4. We’re extremely loyal.
If you befriend an Icelandic Eurofanatic, you’ve got a friend for life. You’ll never experience this:
But plenty of this:
5. Icelandic Eurovision parties are epic!
There’s a big chance, you’ll witness this:
And most definitely THIS:
This is just a wee glimpse of what its like to be a Eurovision fanatic in Iceland. But it goes so much deeper. We welcome everybody, and we judge nobody. Because in the end, Eurovision is about love. Don’t you agree?