The Malta Eurovision Song Contest 2016 is approaching fast, so we just had to squeeze in a few interviews with the contestants before the ball drops. We recently caught up with 16-year old Maxine Pace, who is turning heads and winning fans with her song “Young Love”. Get ready to fall in love yourself…

Maxine is a fresh face at MESC, but she’s already well-known on the island, as she has appeared on several nationally broadcast TV shows. “It all started in a very young age,” she says of her love of music. “I started singing in front of the mirror, my mum used to see me and then I took singing lessons and now here I am taking part in the Malta Eurovision.”

Maxine Pace interview

Does she think she’ll qualify for the final and make a run for the win?

“I don’t know to be honest how my chances are as there are so many amazing talents participating but I truly believe in my song!”

She’s definitely enthused to compete against Eurovision veteran Ira Losco: “It’s an honour to be on the same stage as Ira since I’ve seen her on TV since I was a little girl. There was also a short period where she used to teach me when I was nine, so I’m really excited about it!”

Read more Malta Eurovision News

Jan
Jan
4 years ago

Omfg when I listened to the song for the first time, the first thing that came to my mind was “This sounds like a song Meghan Trainor would sing” 😀

Anis
Anis
4 years ago

Maltese is a really cool language, it’s like a mix between Arabic and Italian 😮

AM Casablancas
AM Casablancas
4 years ago

this one is young, careless, fun and funky, this better place top 3. I’m sure she can deliver on stage, but since Ira is a big name, and the average eurofan loves her songs (I’m not saying that like a bad thing), She’ll go.
But young love could have been on the final of this year (Ira better be, otherwise she’s going downhill)

beccaboo1212
4 years ago

This girl better win!!! I’m also hoping for the following things to happen.

* Her article on Wikipedia (as well as an article about her song)
* A music video for “Young Love”
* MaxinePaceVEVO

mawnck
mawnck
4 years ago

(1) Records flagrant Meghan Trainor imitation. (2) Says it’s a complement to be compared to Meghan Trainor. TIL stating the obvious is somehow a complement. Hint to Maxine: In this case, it isn’t. The songwriter went SO overboard with the Trainor-isms that the song sounds way too cluttered and wordy. If they send it as-is, the juries are going to absolutely skewer it, even if the public doesn’t. I’m starting to get a VERY bad feeling about this Eurovision. If last year was the ballad-pocalypse, this year is starting to smell a little like the imitation-palooza. Oh well … it’s… Read more »

@EugeneESCUK
4 years ago

Whilst everyone is going big on Ira and Christabelle, there could well be an upset on the cards and it could well come from Maxine?! 2016 looks like continuing the recycled theme with nothing original about that is any good so far. Remember Malta won JESC 2015 with a recycled song (“Not my Soul”) and Sweden’s ESC 2015 winner (“Heroes”) was also recycled. “Young Love” is written by the same team behind Destiny’s “Not my Soul” and the Producers have given Maxine a great draw 19th out of 20, so it looks like they could well be behind it too?… Read more »

Sarah Boucher
4 years ago

maybe Valletta will host ESC 2017

Jack
Jack
4 years ago

Maxine has the best song by far for me. At just 16 she brings youth and much needed energy to MESC. I loved the song as soon as I heard the first snippet, I hope she does really well I’ll definitely be rooting for her to go to Stockholm!! Good luck Maxine 🙂