Since Eurovision 2020 was cancelled, some broadcasters have invited back their acts to have another shot at Eurovision. But one artist who won’t be on that list is Sandro. The American-Greek German singer had been due to represent Cyprus in Rotterdam, but local media reports that broadcaster RIK will not ask him back for 2021.

As reported by the Greek-language Eurovision news blog Eurovision Fun, local magazine TV Mania claims that RIK’s board of directors has decided to not invite back Sandro for 2021.

The broadcaster will instead internally select another act, either a popular artist in Greece and Cyprus or an artist with Cypriot heritage.

While this has been reported in local media, broadcaster RIK (CyBC) has not officially confirmed that Sandro is out nor have they said anything about their selection plans for Eurovision 2021.

Sandro’s Eurovision journey

Sandro Nicolas is a German singer with Greek and American heritage. He found fame on The Voice of Germany in 2018 and also competed in the New Wave competition in 2019.

He had been due to represent Cyprus at Eurovision with his song “Running”, co-written with The Voice Australia star Alfie Arcuri. While the song was a heartfelt expression of Sandro’s emotions, the song itself was not as popular among Eurovision fans as recent Cypriot hits “Fuego” and “Replay”.

In a recent wiwibloggs poll asking readers their favourite act from Eurovision 2020, “Running” placed 30th. However, this was based on the studio version of the song.

Eurovision 2021: Confirmed artists

Sandro not being invited back for 2021 makes him the first internally selected act from 2020 to not receive a return ticket for 2021. However, there are likely to be other 2020 internally selected acts who also won’t be returning to Rotterdam next year.

There are now 18 confirmed returning acts for Eurovision 2021: nine who had previously won a national final in 2020 and nine who were originally internally selected.

Cyprus joins Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Lithuania, Norway and Sweden as selecting a new act for 2021. However unlike these Nordic and Baltic countries that will be hosting their regular national finals, Cyprus will reportedly internally select their act.

1. Australia – Montaigne (confirmed 2 April)
  2. Austria – Vincent Bueno (confirmed 26 March)
  3. Azerbaijan – Efendi (confirmed 20 March)
  4. Belgium – Hooverphonic (confirmed 20 March)
  5. Bulgaria – Victoria (confirmed 21 March)
  6. Czech Republic – Benny Cristo (confirmed 13 May)
  7. Georgia – Tornike Kipiani (confirmed 21 March)
  8. Greece – Stefania (confirmed 18 March)
  9. Israel – Eden Alene (confirmed 22 March)
  10. Latvia – Samanta Tīna (confirmed 16 May)
  11. Malta – Destiny (confirmed 16 May)
  12. Netherlands – Jeangu Macrooy (confirmed 18 March)
  13. Romania – Roxen (confirmed 31 March)
  14. San Marino – Senhit (confirmed 16 May)
  15. Slovenia – Ana Soklič (confirmed 16 May)
  16. Spain – Blas Cantó (confirmed 18 March)
  17. Switzerland – Gjon’s Tears (confirmed 20 March)
  18. Ukraine – Go_A (confirmed 18 March)

What do you think? Should Sandro have had another chance? Who would you like to see represent Cyprus at Eurovision 2021? Tell us your thoughts below!

Read more Cyprus Eurovision news here

ANDREW BROWN
ANDREW BROWN

Looks like Eleni is coming back for 2nd chance

Jørgen
Jørgen

Sandro is a very good artist (the song was average though) and he deserves a second chance…. At least they could keep him for a possible national final (which is very unlikely to happen) or add him in their selection progress even if it is internal…. He’s good and something we have never seen from Greece or Cyprus…. And my guess for next year is that they are gonna end up with a Swedish team and a young male performer from Greece ( Vangelis Kakouriotis, Ian Stratis etc) performing a fuego type song like Switzerland last year…… I believe that… Read more »

Chris
Chris

Wise decision from Cybc as a Cypriot I fully support it. Nobody liked him here anyway and it was a bad decision to choose him in the first place.

James
James
Reply to  Chris

Curious, what was the reaction of the locals there when they found out they’ll be represented by him and that his song is not even Cypriot-made?

Chris
Chris
Reply to  James

“Where on earth did they find him!”

Reply to  Chris

a talent contest in germany and Russia.nice guy but he just seems so amateur and who ever gave that song the green light to begin with
There are more details emerging,apparently they want a performer at the very least known in greece and cyprus.Have they someone in mind already??

EscAddict
EscAddict

I like Running. I would welcome Sandro back.

Milan
Milan
Reply to  EscAddict

Me too.

ANDREW BROWN
ANDREW BROWN
Reply to  EscAddict

and me. mix this with piece of your heart by The Goodboys perfect modern dance song

Eastman
Eastman

“Difficult to work with” is why.

USA
USA

If he was selected internally why they wouldn’t go with him in 2021? I understand national selections being held again but nothing says he couldn’t compete in 2021, just get a new song for him! Sandro was already picked by the broadcaster so they saw something in him that was good already

Funkycoffin
Funkycoffin

Its sad but at the other side im really excited for the new artist.

He can try for San Marino in 2022

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Jo.

Or for Germany and Greece

duncanlee069
duncanlee069
Reply to  Jo.

I want Valentina back in 2022

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Jo.

No more Valentina, Irol waited so long …..

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Jo.

I hope it will be MIHAI or Sylvia Knight

Cocooo
Cocooo

Sad really.

Amesc
Amesc

Well Sandro is not well known in Cyprus (or Greece) as the two previous entrants but still it is bad to put him out that easily because he doesn’t have a big career or a big fanbase . I mean ok the song was not popular among the fans but still if he was known the broadcast would probably agree to give him one more chance, something that happened with Benny Cristo actually. We all know at this time that Sandro admited that he is not really into this song but he also said that he would like to come… Read more »

Preuss
Preuss

I don’t understand why Cyprus would opt for another Fuego after Replay where they ultimately flopped with the televote with a single point if it wasn’t for Greece/Georgia and San Marino lol. The best Fuego last year was Switzerland and I give them a lot of credit for not trying to replicate the success with another Fuego this year. I’d say pick a singer and send something that feels authentic to them because while Tamta is a really great artist, she never had the skills to perform Replay the way the delegation wanted her to because she’s not Eleni when… Read more »

Reply to  Preuss

tamtas replay was a poor replica of fuego,but that doesnt mean cyprus should settle for any performer or song just to prove its not fuego! some of these posts are just ridiculous

Preuss
Preuss
Reply to  paul

Yes it’s why I said they should send something that feels authentic to their artists

Josh R
Josh R

Like Estonia with Uku, and to a much lesser extent Sweden with The Mamas, Cyprus is using the opportunity to not bring back an artist that was not as well received with the fandom.

Denis
Denis

It is not that big of a loss really. Average singer,average bad forgettable song. I listened to it 15 times and still can’t even hum it..
Maybe to can put this time to find a good singer who at least is partially connected with Cyprus

Tom
Tom

Huge surprise pour moi Well, its just a rumours like it was with Iceland or Portugal (give me feedback if it will be official) …. I am sad about Sweden, Norway, Denmark to not send same artists, there is still hope for Lithuania, Estonia, Finland that the same artists will win NF selection… There is still 14 countries to not select or confirm the artist …and I think 5 of them will not select the same artist (Italy, Moldova, Albania, Germany and Belarus) Moldova only once had internal selection so there is still a hope, I think Italy had internal… Read more »

Reverb
Reverb

Sandro doesn’t DESERVE anything. Broadcaster chose him and gave him a chance disregarding local talent for a third year in a row, this time even more blatantly. He was also proven to be a bit unenthusiastic if you ask me. It’s the broadcaster’s to call it. They know how to spend public money best (sic)

Philip Wester
Philip Wester

What are you talking about? “Running” was written by 6 people, none of who was Swedish.

Reply to  Philip Wester

2017, 2018 and 2019 were Swedish. There is a trend there. Why not choose songs from the UK? Romania? Italy? Greece? ICELAND, another island! But Swedeeeeen …

I’m going to try and give them the benefit of the doubt and assume something else came up that prevented Sandro from competing again next year. Fact is, even if the guy wasn’t set to light up the scoreboard in Rotterdam and had a very tenuous connection to Cyprus, he still deserved to compete. If they replace him with another Fuego clone I’m gonna be really annoyed. It’d just prove Cyprus haven’t learned anything.

Alexander
Alexander

I believe they are going to use same tactics as they used with Tamta and Eleni, cause Sandro with his song was not loved and accepted by fandom as Tamta and Eleni. I still like him as an artist and i think he deserved chance to perform at Eurovision stage.

Mor Jaen
Mor Jaen

Good. He stood no chance

Magpie
Magpie

May I ask why he isn’t going to be selected for next year? At least give him another shot with a better song!

CookyMonzta
CookyMonzta

Not much of a surprise here. I’ve seen a few polls lately, and most of them say he wouldn’t have qualified anyway. The lyrics of “Running” were too thin and repetitive, and he would have needed a new songwriting team to make the next song work. The “less-is-more” approach to the music video had me asking “Where’s the beef?!” Compare it to Bulgaria’s less-is-more approach. THAT worked!

Erasmus
Erasmus

remember when Anne Marie said she will wrote a song for Cyprus, because she knows someone there..?

ESCFanGA
ESCFanGA

Very unfair to not select him again in 2021 especially given that he was an internal selection. Granted his song this year wasn’t that great but nonetheless he could have been given a much stronger song next year.

Philip Wester
Philip Wester
Reply to  ESCFanGA

The fact he was internally selected makes it less unfair, actually. He didn’t have to win a national final.

Sandro for 2021 with a banger of a song if he wants to or Cyprus should take a break from the contest. Best or very good songs for Eleni and Tamta but an average track for Sandro? Not fair!

GEE
GEE

NO Sandro in 2021. Just NO!

Reverb
Reverb

Should take a break because?

Reply to  Reverb

Take a break because their strategy is not working. Managed a bit of success with Gravity (qualification), then a second place with Fuego (legendary), then in downfall with Replay and now with running and me wondering where to with “Running”. I admit that the standard is higher and higher every year but come on. Going from second place with Fuego to an NQ (that’s almost a fact but we’ll never know since the contest did not take place) in the space of three editions with a song that was a clear NQ. I have no idea what’s happening with Cyprus… Read more »

Luxe
Luxe

So rude fro the broadcaster if its true; it wasnt his fault, every contestant from this year deserves it again!

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina

maybe they’ll ask a cypriot person this time

QueeQ
QueeQ

Running is the most underrated entries of the year. And Sandro deserves to come back next year, with even a better song. He is talented.

I was not a fan of his song, but I was expecting him back with an upgrade. I get why some countries with traditional national finals opted on starting again, but for a country with an internal selection, it’s an unexpected choice. I assume there is a creative differences dispute.

Alphalpha
Alphalpha

Bookies had Sandro not qualifying. A huge step down from coming 2nd just two years ago. It just wasn’t working. We need a big name from Greece/Cyprus for 2021.

Reply to  Alphalpha

300/1 with some bookmakers. RIK is also state run,money will be tighter this year after coronavirus best to spend it wisely than flog a dead horse

Freaky!
Freaky!
Reply to  Alphalpha

Honey, we need a big good song not a big name

Reply to  Alphalpha

wasn’t Tamta’s big enough?

Darren
Darren

Bit unfair.
Sure the song was typical and predictable but Sandro is a great performer.
I don’t see why they couldn’t have just got him back in 2021, unless he has a full schedule or something but he should be given a chance…..or are they looking more at getting a sexy female so they can replicate Fuego a million times more?

A friend
A friend
Reply to  Darren

They only copied Eleni once with Tamta. Taking it and making it sound like they are doing it all the time while Cyprus had like 80% ballads in the contest… it’s not very appropriate. Let’s be real, the country needs to be respected as a country first, then people might manage to be objective about its entries as well.

Darren
Darren
Reply to  A friend

That doesn’t make sense. Cyprus is definitely respected, by me but also the Eurovision fans in general, hence the results.
But let’s face it, Sandro probably wasn’t “too Eleni” enough to represent them. Clearly their method is sexy girl and fire, ala Armenia.
It only works a few times before people see it’s just the same thing repeated every year. It’s good to change it up. But that’s nothing about the actual country of Cyprus, which you seem to be implying in your comment.

Jack
Jack

His song was a Zara Playlist track so no big loss, I am sure Cybc learned their lesson and they will probably send a very famous Greek act, watch out for Vaggelis Kakouriotis or the band Melisses

viridESCent
viridESCent
Reply to  Jack

What about Metaxas? I’d love to see him at Eurovision

viridESCent
viridESCent
Reply to  viridESCent

Idk why I’m being downvoted, Metaxas is cool and has already tried out for Eurovision for Cyprus but didn’t make it. His sister went with Firefly and he composed it a few years after.

Srbija4
Srbija4
Reply to  viridESCent

Ah, personally I didn’t know who Metaxas as was and thought you were talking about the dictator Metaxas lol

Maurice
Maurice
Reply to  Jack

I think someone coming from more traditional genres like Konstantinos Argyros or Elli Kokkinou would be superb

Reply to  Maurice

The female singer mylou is quite good as well shes half brazilian half greek

Reverb
Reverb
Reply to  Maurice

Those genres are not traditional

Reverb
Reverb
Reply to  Jack

Kakouriotis is definitely NOT a famous act! And Melisses would be horrible in Eurovision.

Sgf Sgf
Sgf Sgf
Reply to  Jack

What about Sophia Pathsalides, I would love to see her in Eurovision. Plus, she might be another JESC artist to participate in Eurovision.

Nothing against Sandro. He does his craft. And he said he’s battled some difficultities. That should not take away from his talent or success in the future. It seems he’s a fairly decent man. That said, I didn’t like “Running” at all and I loathed the angle on mental health. And I couldn’t understand the choice of the Cypriot broadcaster of an American-Greek-German artist. Considering that Cyprus does internal selection, I urge them to select Sandro again unless he doesn’t want to go to Eurovision anymore. The song “Running” was bad. Sandro had been good enough for 2020. So why… Read more »

Circle of Bibles
Circle of Bibles

Sandro didn’t even like his song and seemed ungrateful about the opportunity when being interviewed by NikkieTutorials. I can see why the Cypriot broadcaster would want to go in another direction!

Alphalpha
Alphalpha

I did see that. I doubt he would have said that if the contest wasn’t cancelled.

Speaking of, how many artists did Nikkie Tutorials interview on Nikkie Tutorials calls? It’s not all of them on the ESC YT channel.

Reply to  Whisker

She said 22 – that was during the Saturday Shine a Light event. No reason why only 22. Artists.

Because of Ireland 2019, LOL.

paul

I Think this is a sensible decision and I said before I dont think he was a good choice.There are various male singers in greece and cyprus much better than sandro who have acheived a lot more in there career.hes a nice guy but I dont see any talent,and that mediocre song didnt help much either. with regards to another fuego next year I think that an uptemp dance number is the way forward for cyprus as in 2018 and indeed greece 2005,but it needs to be original not just tacky lyrics replaced over the backing track of fuego as… Read more »

Thomas
Thomas

I really hope that this is fake news because Sandro has the full package! Ok, I understand that the song might not be so good for some, even though it was just the studio version (remember what happened in 2018 where Cyprus was in 26th place and when the stage trials was on it climbed in 1st place in a few days) but still it will be unfair to not have a second chance! However, what the decision of Cyprus might be, its respectful! Maybe they are getting ready something better! 🙂

Reverb
Reverb
Reply to  Thomas

Again the 2018 story. Not everyone is a foureira and not every year has to have a fuego climb

I wasn’t a huge fan of Sandro based on what I had seen of him before ESC but I can see why some are confused how an internally selected artist good enough for 2020 is all of a sudden not good enough for 2021.
I can only imagine that this tells you that in 2020, Cyprus was sold on the song, “Running” and selected Sandro as he was a good fit for that particular song. Maybe the negative reaction to the song has forced the broadcaster to go in a different musical direction for next year?

Reply to  Briekimchi

It isnt “all of a sudden” bear in mind sandro and the song was announced by cyprus many months ago. During that time cybc may have been monitoring public reaction to the selection and indeed various opinions both positive and negative,there was also the 300/1 betting odds in some bookmakers.Although to be honest this doesnt determine the winner.They may have felt the cancellation of this year,offered an opportnity to reconsider the decision and have decided to take another performer. I personally welcome it and feel we would have waited a long 12 months to see cyprus not qualify. The eurovision… Read more »

Hyunwoo
Hyunwoo

I guess Hovig will be represented Cyprus in the Eurovision 2021!

Reply to  Hyunwoo

there are dozens of male artists in greece much better than sandro or hovig who would have been a better choice for cyprus

Reply to  paul

correct!

Sgf Sgf
Sgf Sgf
Reply to  Hyunwoo

Nah, it’s going to be Sophia Pathsalides or Christina Loizu representing Cyprus in Eurovision 2021.

acp
acp

I kinda doubt they are just going to ditch Sandro next year. Anyway, I hope it’s not like that because he really deserves to be in ESC.

MALTESER
MALTESER

Hey guys, I made a compilation of Deban’s best bits on wiwibloggs, be sure to check it out on this link! Cheers ?

Reply to  MALTESER

Hi MALTESER. I checked one of your videos about Deban. Pretty funny in case he doesn’t mind. And if he doesn’t, I would suggest you add the name of the country or song or artist and year if possible. It would be a lot better for the viewers to understand the context.

MALTESER
MALTESER

Hey Una. Thank you for your reply. I did send the video to Deban before I published it and he was more than happy for me to do so. I like your suggestion, I will definitely consider it for the part 2 video!

Reply to  MALTESER

Thanks, MALTESER!!! I hope my suggestion was not too much trouble.

Martin Cork
Martin Cork

Not surprised In the interview I saw with him he didn’t seem to care one bit about Cyprus. Maybe he should come back for Germany instead.

Onur
Onur

Is it just because of he wasn’t a fan favorite? Omg you must be kidding. Feeling so sad for Sandro

GEE
GEE

Running was also co written with Octavian Rasinariu, Sebastian Metzner Rickards and Teo DK. Not just Alfie Arcuri. The writer of this article needs to fact check herself.

James
James
Reply to  GEE

Alfie Arcuri is the most familiar to those who follow national selections.

Jake
Jake
Reply to  GEE

Teo DK represented Greece in 2014, so that also counts and should be mentioned.

James
James
Reply to  Jake

Is he Freaky Fortune?

I do hope Sandro will be back at ESC 2021. I cringe at Hooverphonic on that “confirmed” list considering the Hooverphonic statements about Eurovision. And there are artists who see the value of Eurovision and won’t be there next year. Shameful.

GEE
GEE
Reply to  Whisker

Sandro wasn’t even a fan of Eurovision until 2018. Next!

Reply to  GEE

*You*, NEXT time, learn how to read and comprehend a statement.

Sokratis
Sokratis

I mean, they are artists – you could have faith that they can create another great song? It’s not ideal – but it’s what we’ve got.

As for the artists 100% agree. There is absolutely no excuse for countries (especially with internal selections) not to extend the acts invitation for 2021. This whole year has really soured the national final season for me for good personally – kind of hard to watch Melodifestivalen and Melodi Grand Prix again.

viridESCent
viridESCent
Reply to  Sokratis

I get what you’re saying, especially about Melfest, but in case you didn’t know Ulrikke was offered a slot in the MGP final but declined. So MGP won’t be that upsetting, for me at least. Melfest, however…

I’m surprised this comes from a country that INTERNALLY SELECTED its artist.

Jake
Jake
Reply to  Alex

They knew they would flop hard in Rotterdam, they were far away from what they used to be 2018-2019, so now they want someone and something “much better”.

Reply to  Jake

Then how come they selected an artist and song “they knew would flop hard in Rotterdam”. I don’t see the logic.

Sokratis
Sokratis

Another country with total poor form if true.

I swear if they are just ditching Sandro for a Foureira return, I’ll be pissed. I love some Foureira, but no act chosen by Cyprus being chosen makes sense without giving Sandro the option. It’s just mean spirited.

And to those who didn’t like his song, or didn’t like him, it’s even more mean spirited to be happy about this rumour.

Reply to  Sokratis

just because something isnt foureira or fuego or whatever doesnt make it good. This is about trying to find the best act and song for cyprus the longest serving participant without a win (bar malta) but cyprus has taking part more often. It was largely felt this year cyprus was not going to do well,even as low as 300/1 with some bookmakers. You just expect a lot more from an internal selection. Its not about being mean spirited,the cost of eurovision participation is huge for a nation lke cyprus,i was actually starting to doubt if they would enter at all… Read more »

GEE
GEE

After Fuego and Replay, Running was a massive step backwards. Sandro didn’t deserve to be internally selected. Less hair models and more credible artists please.

Adrian
Adrian
Reply to  GEE

Sandro is talented! Massively talented! ”Running” might’ve been a bit bland – but no shade what-so-ever on Sandro.

+ better than ”Replay”. ”Replay” was not good at all.

GEE
GEE
Reply to  Adrian

Sandro sounded like a cat being strangled.

Vesley
Vesley
Reply to  GEE

Flop fan favorite Tamta couldn’t even sing, at least Sandro can.

Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno

It better be just a rumour and not their last word
He was chosen to go, so he deserves his shot at the contest

viridESCent
viridESCent

Oh damn. I can’t imagine how he must feel right now (unless it was a mutual decision which is possible). I detested Running (it was so blatantly Meduza – Lose Control that I was astounded more people didn’t pick up on it), but I’m still disappointed since Sandro clearly has talent. A shame.

Esc2021rotterdam
Esc2021rotterdam
Reply to  viridESCent

In an interview with nikkie sandro said that he would like to go in 2021 so I’m sure it’s not mutual (tbh I don’t think that there is a 2020 artist that wouldn’t like to go to next year after this year’s contest got cancelled)

James
James
Reply to  viridESCent

I for one thought “Running” sounds like a particular 90’s dance song, or at least has that aesthetic from that decade.

I can somehow understand countries with national selection who select new artists next year, but Cyprus INTERNALLY selected Sandro. I mean one year you want him and another not. This is unfair to Sandro who was promised to sing for Cyprus at Eurovision.