Molly Sanden My Marianne Netflix Eurovision Fire Saga Husavik

She’s the Swedish popstar who provides most of the singing vocals for Rachel McAdams’ Sigrit Ericksdóttir in Netflix’s Eurovision movie. And now Molly Sandén, aka My Marianne, has shared her thoughts on the music from Eurovision Song Contest: The Story Of Fire Saga.

And just like most viewers, “Husavik” is the track that’s captured her heart. In fact, Molly thinks that the ballad could have been a potential Eurovision winner in real life.

Molly Sandén thinks “Husavik” could win Eurovision

In conversation with Netflix, Sandén speaks of the first time she heard the number.

“When I heard the demo “Husavik”, I got goosebumps immediately. This is a damn good song”.

In the movie, Fire Saga switch from singing “Double Trouble” in the semi-final to “Husavik” in the grand final. This is against song contest rules, even in Will Ferrell’s imagination, and so the track is disqualified.

But, Molly thinks the song has the potential to win the actual Eurovision. “I think it could have won the real ESC”.

Note, Molly says “could”. Alas, due to EBU rules, “Husavik” is ineligible for entry in any future editions of the contest due to the 1 September rule.

The My Marianne artist is a fan of the movie’s soundtrack in general: “The music is crazy good, the lyrics are a bit funny, but the music is good — for real!”

Molly Sandén’s Eurovision dream

Molly Sandén’s history with the Eurovision Song Contest is long and winding. She first dipped her toe in the world of ESC in 2006 when she represented Sweden at Junior Eurovision as a teenager.

She’s since tried to get to the main contest on three occasions — 2009, 2012 and 2016. However, she’s yet to win the Melodifestivalen selection meaning the Eurovision movie is the closest she’s come to the contest thus far. But representing Sweden remains a dream.

“I got to do a dream job… I was so happy when I was approached with this. It felt like my 12-year-old self would have jumped up and down screaming as she had won ESC just by getting asked to do this, and sing these songs.

I was myself in Junior ESC, when I was younger, and that was my biggest dream to be in the contest Eurovision”.

What do you think of “Husavik”? Do you agree with Molly? Could it have won Eurovision? Let us know in the comments.

Follow all of our Netflix ‘Eurovision Song Contest: The Story Of Fire Saga’ news.

Fan of Molly from Azerbaijan
Fan of Molly from Azerbaijan
1 month ago

Omg, imagine Molly taking part in Mello2021, winning it, and then winning Eurovision Song Contest. I would SCREAM of joy.

Polliu
Polliu
1 month ago

Yes. Only if you can sing like the studio version when doing it live. But I doubt it.

Ron Kavaler

Queen Molly

Charli Cheer Up
Charli Cheer Up
1 month ago

Can I just say how effin cute Molly is in this interview? Her new look really suits her especially her hair! Much more brighter and happy 🙂

1 month ago

very Yohannish 2009, tbh.

Reply to  Jo.

That thought crossed my mind as well.

1 month ago

I think it would have definitely won ten years ago but I think Eurovision has moved on. However, I still think it would’ve placed well, especially if she could hit that big note live. The Demi Lovato song would’ve placed better in 2020, in my opinion.

Eneko
Eneko
1 month ago

Probably she was just addressed to provide the vocals for this song, but I wish it could have been offered to her for Melfest 2021 with Swedish lyrics, or either Yohanna from Iceland could have been given this song for Songvakepnnin 2021. With a good production and staging, I’m sure it would have stood out from the rest of the songs, who knows…

Last edited 1 month ago by Eneko
Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
1 month ago

It would be very sweet if Demi Lovato would now agree to represent Iceland, as an honorary Icelander! I’m sure she’d have the best time, and it would be nice to have her name alongside ABBA and Celine Dion.

Reply to  Jimmy Smit

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Whisker

um, calm down

Reply to  Ashton

Iceland are one of the very few countries that have never sent a lead performer from outside their country. I feel like they’d find it a hollow victory to have their first win ever be an American with no connection to them whatsoever beyond the movie.

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Joe

I agree, but still people don’t need to just shout NO like that. Like, be calm.

Reply to  Ashton

I ensure you I typed NO very, super calmly.

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Whisker

Typing in all caps is generally considered shouting. Even if you felt calm, a one-word response is probably not going to convince someone you disagree with, even on something as contentious as the representation of Iceland at Eurovision.

Reply to  Joe

Yes. I wish this would apply to songwriters too, however. After all, it is a song contest – not a singer contest. Example – Malta 2020.

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Jonas

Very true!

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Joe

Completely fair! I actually agree, but I do also think the above idea would be a nice fairytale and an extension of the film’s (and by proxy Iceland’s) ability to engage new audiences with Eurovision.

Bb Tt
Bb Tt
1 month ago

Well, since it’s a good song, it definitely wouldn’t have won. lol
And also since it’s better that the winners of the recent years.

Sandrine
Sandrine
1 month ago

Personally, I don’t think it could have won the contest but it would have faired well on the final night if it had qualified. Hat off to Moly Sandén on her vocalist skills. Who is the male vocalist on the track? Is Moly Sandén a contestant for Melodifestivalen in 2021?

Fred Bluestone
Fred Bluestone
13 days ago
Reply to  Sandrine

The male singer is in fact Will Ferrel. I want to see them delivering the song on Oscars night for best original song.

1 month ago

Whether the song could have won Eurovision: yes but with different lyrics. Logical words. I personally love the lyric about whales but those words would be laughed at in the real competition.
The music and Molly’s interpretation were sublime. Kudos.

Sniper K-Wolf
Sniper K-Wolf
1 month ago

Did Iceland could be winning the contest with a Icelandic-language song ? The dream of every fans. Obviously its possible for a nordic country, Danmark, Norway and Sweden did it. So why not possible for Iceland ?

Reply to  Sniper K-Wolf

I would rather think of Portugal and Ukraine as they all won in the last 5 years. OMG 2016 adn 2017 seem a bit long ago now.
All those Nordic countries won in their own language decades ago. Which one won last and when? 80s? 90s?

Sniper K-Wolf
Sniper K-Wolf
1 month ago
  • Norway in 1995 (2d place in 1996) and the televoting in 2019 (with the bilingual Northern-sami).
  • Sweden in 1991 (but the original winning song in swedish in 1999 was far better). But unfortunatly Sweden have translated in english all his songs in 1999, 2000, 2001, 2004 and 2006.
  • Denmark in 1963 (but same situation for the winning song in 2000). But unfortunatly Denmark have translated in english all his songs in 1999 and 2005. Leonora’s song in 2019 was the only exception.
Last edited 1 month ago by Sniper K-Wolf
Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno
1 month ago

I mean, just yesterday I was sitting alone, listening to this song and thinking about my crush and it made me cry :’)
This song is really good, no doubt 🙂

1 month ago

It’s a testament to the accuracy of the fake Eurovision songs that most people agree with her.

MollyMolly
MollyMolly
1 month ago

I think Molly is bigger than Melfest now in Sweden, idk if that’s possible but she, literally, had two successful albums and a string of Top 10 hits. She’s far more successful on the charts than any Melfest or Eurovision contestants from Swedend in the last 10 years. Her music is sooo good too.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean
Reply to  MollyMolly

It’s interesting, not surprising but still interesting, how her Melodifestivalen songs do not at all reflect what she can do, musically.

James
James
1 month ago

It probably has a lot to dow ith the fact that Melfest is mainly a songwriter’s competition so not always does an invited artist have a say in their entry’s creatives.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean
1 month ago

Yes, it absolutely could have. Had it been in this year’s Eurovision, the other ballad singers wouldn’t have stood a chance against Molly. It remains a mystery to me why they never found a good song for her. All three of her Melodifestivalen songs were terribly, terribly weak. Ironically, the first attempt, where she placed last, was the best of the bunch and that one was already dull. ‘Husavik’ might still give her a shot at Eurovision – it makes obvious what she can do with decent material and what kind of song she needs. She also needs to be… Read more »

Lollipop ESC
Lollipop ESC
1 month ago

I agree …that is a winner song

Ina
Ina
1 month ago

I think that Molly is cleverly paving her way for a Melfest 2021 participation, which would be great, and with a good song, along with the whole publicity, she has many many chances!!

Reply to  Ina

What a delicious scenario!

Reply to  Ina

It has been a few years since she last tried, and it seems she’s itching to do it. If the Mamas (sadly) don’t appear to be on their way back, by all means she ought to have a go!

Ashton