In December, #EurovisionAgain will celebrate Eurovision non-qualifiers, with a fan rewatch and vote of 20 of the best songs that never made it to a grand final. But before that, we want to know which non-qualifiers are your favourites. We’re running a series of polls to see which acts wiwibloggs readers think deserve a second chance.

The polls include all countries who had more than one non-qualifier in the semi-finals era — from 2004 onwards. Listen to the non-qualifying tracks and vote for your favourites! We’re continuing with Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark and Estonia.

What is your favourite non-qualifier from Finland?

What is your favourite non-qualifier from Georgia?

What is your favourite non-qualifier from Greece?

What is your favourite non-qualifier from Hungary?

Previous polls

Which non-qualifiers are your favourites? Who would you like to see have another shot at Eurovision? Tell us your thoughts below!

See more of our polls here

3 days ago

Finland 2017 but I also enjoyed 2016. Georgia 2014 because of its originality. Greece 2018 was such a good song. Hungary 2019.

4 days ago

Finland 2017
Georgia 2017
Greece 2018
Hungary 2009

Anita
Anita
5 days ago

Blackbird, don’t sing to me…. a song contest – and Norma not singing in the final to us – why????????????????????????????????????????????

Last edited 5 days ago by Anita
Kosey
Kosey
6 days ago

I have still got over Norma John not qualifying for the final – that song is so down it lifts me up.
Also, PKN were before their time, Eurovision weren’t ready for them then, hopefully it will be one day.

5 days ago
Reply to  Kosey

“That song is so down it lifts me up.” 😀 Fantastic!
Blackbird’s melody is actually entirely in a major key (i.e. happy), it is only the magic of the harmony that makes it melancholy. It’s a beautiful song.

Kosey
Kosey
5 days ago
Reply to  Purple Mask

Thanks Purple Mask! I’ll throw a complement back at ya – I love the way you always connect the technical aspects of a song to its emotional impact – always insightful!

Veta
Veta
6 days ago

1. Finland – 5 of 8 songs are amazing, namely Nar jag blundar, Blackbird, Sing It Away, Aina mun pitaa and Tyolki Ellaa, Finland is one of my favourite countries in Eurovision for these. My choice is Tyolki Ellaa, 6th in my ideal-picks ranking.
2. Greece – both songs are awesome, but I go with my favourite Greek entry ever, Utopian Land.
3. Georgia – magical 3 Minutes to Earth, although Oto’s song was great too.
4. Hungary – Az en apam is the only option. The other 2, I must say, unfortunately, deserved their NQ.

Idksmth
Idksmth
6 days ago

Finland: I voted for 2010, 2012, 2017. 2010 was just pure fun and I would’ve loved to see this in the final because I think there were worse songs that qualified *cough* Russia and Belarus *cough*. 2012 was very calm and atmosprheric but at the end of the day I understand that it was probably too forgettable plus 2012 was a strong year and that didn’t help. 2017 NQ was quite shocking but the semi was full of Eurovision powerhouses like Sweden, Azerbaijan, Australia, Armenia so it wasn’t necessarily an open semi. But the weird thing is that juries didn’t… Read more »

dxi
dxi
6 days ago

När jag blundar is my favorite Eurovision song ever (besides Rise Like a Phoenix). It is criminally underrated. I do have to say that I prefer Pernilla’s national final performance.

Demi Lovato's Arm
Demi Lovato's Arm
6 days ago

Anri looks like the main vocalist of The Sunstroke Project

Nils
Nils
7 days ago

Iriao has to be one of the most underrated entries in history. Such a gem.

Me!
Me!

Finland: 2004, 2010, 2012, 2017 & 2019
Georgia: 2017
Greece: 2018
Hungary: 2019

7 days ago

I haven’t opinated on the previous posts of this series, but here the answers are so easy to me, I can’t resist:

Finland: “Blackbird”, definitely. I still can’t understand.
Georgia: “Keep the Faith”. Not so much for the song, but for Tamara’s performance.
Greece: I actually liked both, but “Oniro mou” was one of my favorites that year, even if I admit that something was off during the performance.
Hungary: “Az én apám”, but I can understand why it hasn’t made it, since people were comparing Joci with Joci and “Origo” was better.

He Ho Hu
He Ho Hu
7 days ago

Finland is so underrated, most of the songs that didn’t qualify are simply amazing

Veta
Veta
6 days ago
Reply to  He Ho Hu

Yep, true.

Diabolo
Diabolo

Finland: Blackbird (2017)
Georgia: Keep The Faith/Keep On Going (2017/2019)
Greece: Oniro mou (2018) (I also like Utopian Land very much for some reason)
Hungary: Az én apám (2019)

Last edited 7 days ago by Diabolo
Quri
Quri
7 days ago

Työlki ellää – It’s ethnic, fun, and in Finnish. It would’ve qualified by televote only.

Nobody Important
Nobody Important
7 days ago

Finland: Nar Jag Blundar – Blackbird would definitely be my second choice, but I just love 2012 so much!
Georgia: Keep the Faith: By default.
Greece: Demi should have been Greece’s second NQ not this. Tho, I completely understand why it failed. The staging was underwhelming, Yianna wasn’t vocally the strongest and it was in a blood h bath that was the first semi. Non of those helped it. Still, it was way more deserving of a final then Demi ever was!
Hungary: Az En Apam – Again, by default. I prefer Origo much more.

7 days ago

Hungary 2019 only because I have a soft spot for Jóci.
Greece 2018 – those Greek words and instruments touched me to the core. I felt love.
Finland 2017 – I can’t believe that a masterpiece stayed in the semi while mainstream pop with known names goes through. Injustice at its best and it should stop.
Georgia 2019 – same argument as for Finalnd 2017 except for the “masterpiece” which I am replacing with “originality” plus “local talent” plus “local language” plus “amazing vocalists” plus “mindblowing staging” plus “energy”.

ESC8
ESC8
7 days ago

Finland: 2012. I’m probably the only one here that didn’t vote for 2017, but I was never a huge fan of Blackbird. On the contrary I adore När Jag Blundar and I wonder why so many people seem to not like it. I don’t understand swedish but it makes me feel something mystical. However I voted for 2019 as well due to the fact that I like this kind of music (but it doesn’t work at Eurovision unfortunately) Georgia: 2019. An unpopular choice too, but I voted for 2017 as well. These are the 2 songs that I would be… Read more »

Reply to  ESC8

I think it’s pretty much an even split between 2012 and 2017 in the comments section. There’s about five of us who went with När Jag Blundar. Actually, my dark secret as a Eurovision fan (downvotes incoming) is that “Blackbird” was my last place in 2017. 😉

Reply to  Briekimchi

I’m certainly not going to downvote your opinion, but I am puzzled on why is that. I mean, even if you find the song too slow and uneventful (which I would personally disagree on, but I can see legit grounds on why would someone think that), I am surprised there was nothing you found worse.
My candidates:
– Montenegro – Cheap and messy
– Spain – Repetitive and dull
– Lithuania – Just no
– San Marino – Most looping hook ever

ESC8
ESC8
Reply to  Briekimchi

It’s true that there’re people here in the comment section that support Finland 2012, but as I can see now in the actual results of the poll (so far), Finland 2017 has a big lead against Finland 2012, 22% ahead.

Shangri la
Shangri la
7 days ago

Finland – For me it’s between När jag blundar and Työlki ellää. Blackbird is an honorable mention. Unpopular opinion: Why? is a really underrated entry, I think it deserves more recognition
Georgia – Keep the faith, by miles(btw I’m probably the only person in here who likes I’m a joker)
Greece – Oneiro mou
Hungary – I can’t decide between Az én apám and Candlelight

#pioneer
#pioneer
Reply to  Shangri la

not only you, I also like I’m a joker 😀 tho if Anri ever decides to come back, he should have even better song than this kinda mess I’m a joker was XD

Kredential
Kredential
7 days ago

Finland – Nar Jag Blunder is such a beautiful song, it’s a crime it didn’t qualify
Georgia – None of these songs are that great tbh, but Keep The Faith really delivered on the night
Greece – Oniro Mou no question, my favourite of 2018 by far and would’ve been a shoe in for a top ten finish if the staging and vocals were better
Hungary – Not really that fond of any of these songs either but Joci

7 days ago

This selection is mostly easy for me:
Finland – Blackbird, no question.
Georgia – Actually I like all of these, but Tamara deserved to qualify the most, based on performance.
Greece – Both! But I would choose Argo if I had to; “Utopian Land” is memorable and quite unique as a song.
Hungary – Joci, Joci, Joci! P.S. Hungary please come back.

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
7 days ago

i’ve been noticing heavy bias for more recent non-qualifiers in these polls, either a lot of ppl never listened to songs from over than half a decade ago or eurovision entries age like avocado milk bc otherwise i can’t explain myself how sennek could win over kate ryan or franka over feminnem

Azaad
Azaad
7 days ago

The thing is, with the introduction of the juries, songs from the 2010s tend to be more respectable than songs from the 2000s, and respectability is a factor in determining qualification for many. We may like trashy bops being in the contest, but very few people complain when the ballad qualifies over it.

It’s not the best method to approach the contest, given the diversity of music on offer, but that’s the way it tends to go.

7 days ago

In my opinion, the 2010s generally had higher quality songs at Eurovision than the 2000s. Of course there are always exceptions, but it seems that the 2014-2018 period was exceptional for strong Eurovision songs that did not qualify.

Last edited 7 days ago by Purple Mask

Oh Polegend, nobody loves Feminnem quite as much as you and I do. 😉

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Briekimchi

Or me, I met them in Oslo and told them I was sad they had not qualified. They were absolutely charming

Last edited 7 days ago by Jofty
TheDr Mistery
TheDr Mistery
7 days ago

That’s exactly what I wrote under that post. I’m with you on that. 2010s certainly were stronger than 2000s which produced top contests in the end only with introduction of two semi-finals. I don’t know if 2010s had such strong contests as 2008 and 2009 but overall quaility was way higher.

PP77
PP77

Finland 2005,2010,2017. 2017 deserved TOP 10 in final
Georgia 2017,2019
Greece 2018
Hungary 2008,2019

KESC
KESC

Finland: 2017
Georgia: 2017
Greece: 2018
Hungary: 2019

7 days ago

Finland was often mistreated by the Eurovision crowd, Pernilla Karlsson not qualifying is still scandalous to me, narrowly followed by Norma John not qualifying. Yianna Terzi just had bad luck being part of a semi-final where somebody worthy of qualifying had to lose arithmetically, so I’m not too shook up about it. As for the rest, there are certainly entries which I personally would have let advance, but for the most part I get why they didn’t.

Last edited 7 days ago by Tibor
Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Tibor

Greece qualifying ahead of Finland in 2017 is among the worst developments in ESC history. It should’ve been Demi who was the second Greek act to miss the final, not Yianna. Semi final 1 in 2018 was also tragic because usually, when there are an odd number of countries competing, and thus unequal semis, the second semi has one more song, and in 2018 it was the other way around. I often think how if 2018 was like other years, and the second semi had an extra song instead, how lovely it would’ve been if Belgium or Greece was moved… Read more »

Reply to  Azaad

I guess other than Ari Olafsson, every non-qualifier of the2018 first semi would have had a shot at qualifying from the second SF. I have never seen two such lopsided semis.
And “Is this love” surely shouldn’t have qualified over “Blackbird”. But the qualifier I’d have kicked out first was Hovig’s “Gravity”. That was just an embarassment and came fifth in its semi, for crying out loud. 🙂

Last edited 7 days ago by Tibor
Reply to  Tibor

This! Gravity is a mediocre song and having it qualified ahead most of others is a puzzle. Even if you enjoy that kind of dance tracks, Greece had a better one.

This is Love is musically interesting and lyrically almost “so bad it’s good” in the likes of Cleopatra.

Last edited 7 days ago by Colin
#pioneer
#pioneer
Reply to  Tibor

Hey, Gravity wasn’t that bad 😀 at least Hovig managed to sing live better than Demy XD
(tho I can agree with someone who calle This is love a “guilty pleasure” bc even if Demy sang badly the song is deffo catchy 😀 )

Reply to  #pioneer

It’s not *that bad* at all. I called it ”mediocre”, which would literally translate as ”middle of the road”, even though I can see why it sounds kinda bad. The thing is that Semi 1 of ESC 2017 had A LOT of better songs. To break it down: Portugal (1), Moldova (2), Belgium (4), Azerbaijan (8) and Poland (9) totally deserved to qualify IMHO. No questions asked. Then, we have Sweden (3), which actually grows on me with each listening and it’s staged to perfection. In a semi as strong as semi 1 of 2018 it would be under question,… Read more »

Last edited 7 days ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

Okay, now, how can you not like Artsvik? 😉 As long as we’re revealing unpopular secrets about the 2017 1st semi-final, I never was a fan of Dihaj, I think she has a spoilt brat vocal tone, which makes it very hard for me to sit through this song. 😮

Reply to  Tibor

Ha ha… Okay, I’m not disliking the song either, but it feels very underwhelming. It starts interesting and then there is another first verse… then another… then it ends. I feel cheated. 🙂 But sure, Artsvik herself was amazing. Then again, I am a fan of Claudia Faniello’s Breathlessly (another unpopular opinion) and her strong performance didn’t save it from being last in the televote. For me, Dihaj’s Skeletons is one of the rare examples of Azerbaijan not playing it ”safe”, so I really dig the song. 🙂 For the record, I think that ESC 2017 had only 4 bad… Read more »

Last edited 7 days ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

In 2017, I only really liked 6 songs, 2 automatic qualifiers and 4 entries in semi-final 1, of which 2 didn’t even qualify for the final. :/ So it wasn’t the best year for me personally.
As for Claudia Faniello, I will never forget how Alesia Michelle said in one of her videos “I bet you, she’s in her thirties, but she looks like 50”. I was like, wait, that can’t be, I looked it up, and she was indeed, I believe 29 at the time. 😀 One of the most unflattering stylings ever.

Reply to  Tibor

I agree, the styling made her look older. Surprisingly, that was a common thing in 2000s, sometimes even in 2010s. I just recently watched the 2000 contest and many contestants looked much older than they actually were. Both the guy from Romania and the woman from Malta were 32, but looked well in their 40s. The most extreme example was the UK’s singer, who was 36, but looked somewhere in her mid 50s. Not trying to shame anyone, but those stylings were so aging. Claudia really isn’t far off. The song was quite elegant and vintage though, so maybe that… Read more »

Last edited 6 days ago by Colin
6 days ago
Reply to  Colin

The all televote era was a misstep that has – thank God – been corrected. Occasionally there was a good song amidst all the trash during the 2000s, but “Shake it” was undoubtedly a disaster. I mean, those vocals alone are a physical assault.

6 days ago
Reply to  Tibor

I just recently saw and rated that era. I can say that 2000-2004 was a really bad time for ESC (paused in 2005, but extended to 2006). The worst one is probably 2002. That is the first time ever that I rated more than half of the songs as under average. There are five songs* I could even call kinda good and only one which would even remotely enter my playlist these days. Okay, I’m extending it to six (kind of), because of Russia. A classic example of catchy music + cheesy lyrics = a guilty pleasure, but part of… Read more »

Last edited 6 days ago by Colin
6 days ago
Reply to  Colin

For me this era is just a blur, but everytime I stumble across a performance from that time, I brace myself against the worse – and oftentime that’s what I’m getting. There are certainly notable exceptions, 2007 had a couple of really good songs I still listen to today and speaking of 2002, I really loved “Od nas zavisi” from North Macedonia, that was a great song that inexplicably tanked badly. For me the worst still is 2008, and I always think that after this cringefest the Eurovision elders thought it was enough and graced us once more with songs… Read more »

6 days ago
Reply to  Tibor

2008 is for me pretty good for 2000s standards because I really love about 15 songs (even though some didn’t even qualify, so I am a bit unsatisfied about that). However, the bottom was really, really low. I’ll admit that. For example, Estonia and Belgium were just abysmal. North Macedonia’s song is actually one of the better ones in 2002, yeah. Still, I had to listen to it several times to get a melody. It has a really odd structure, without much immediacy. But it does cover it with soothing atmosphere. I wasn’t entirely sold on the results there. North… Read more »

Last edited 6 days ago by Colin
Azaad
Azaad
4 days ago
Reply to  Colin

I also found Armenia to be underwhelming. Artsvik has a beautiful voice but it was suited to a diva power ballad, not a mid tempo ethnic number, and she frankly didn’t have the charisma to elevate the song. I actually prefer the instrumental version to it. Moreover, I found the staging to be really lacklustre. However I do appreciate what they were trying to do. Cyprus was just a mix of cringe and basic and Greece was straight up bad. I would’ve swapped out those countries for Finland, Albania and Latvia. Latvia coming in last place in SF1 (and 41st… Read more »

Reply to  #pioneer

Granted, with him, the song’s the major problem, with her it’s primarily the singing. Although the song’s tacky, too, it is, as you say, nonetheless catchy. I’m just so shocked when a bad song like “Gravity” rakes in the votes and finishes 5th (!). 😉

just an esc fan
just an esc fan
7 days ago

mostly all of these songs deserved a NQ, with exceptions being the amazing entry of Finland 2017, one of my fav ESC songs of all time and Georgia 2017. if it’s not obvious yet, the results of semi 1 at 2017 left me hugely dissapointed…

James
James
7 days ago

The highly underrated and unappreciated “Sheni Gulistvis” was robbed.

Leo
Leo
Reply to  James

I agree. It wasn’t catchy, but it was relaxing and I connected to it more than many songs which qualified from the weaker heat 2 that year, and even many which narrowly missed out. I connected only with Norway, Moldova, Sweden and perhaps Slovenia and Ukraine, more than this, in contrast to the high quality heat 1.

7 days ago

Finland 2012 is the class act in the selection of these countries, for me.

Reply to  Briekimchi

I voted for 2017 (my runner-up of that year), but 2012 would be my second choice. It definitely should have qualified. It’s like a lovely lullaby.

Leo
Leo
8 days ago

Still sad Az En Apam didn’t qualify. Origo remains one of my fave ESC entries ever, and my fave ever Own Language Entry.

#pioneer
#pioneer
Reply to  Leo

Finally someone who loves these two songs as much as I do! <3
Origo is even my winner of 2017 (brilliant mix of folk and rap, sung in their own language etc. – this as a winner would have fitted very nicely with slogan of that edition IMO) and Az en apam is in my top10 of 2019 <3

TheDr Mistery
TheDr Mistery
Reply to  #pioneer

“Origo” was in my Top 3 with Moldova and Portugal that year but “Az en apam” was… boring in comparision.

Leo
Leo
5 days ago
Reply to  TheDr Mistery

I have same top 3 from 2017. Hungary, Portugal and Moldova were all truly fantastic.

Leo
Leo
5 days ago
Reply to  #pioneer

Whilst I don’t think As En Apam was anywhere near as good, and could have had a better ending, he was still a brilliant vocalist, and I think it was better than Estonia (though that was a grower), Serbia and Slovenia.

Heyey
Heyey
8 days ago

Finland – Työlki ellää
Georgia – Keep The Faith
Greece – Oniro mou
Hungary – Az én apám

8 days ago

Finland – Blackbird is the masterpiece, so it not qualifying is one of the biggest robberies of a decade.

Georgia – Keep the Faith is the best one I guess.

Greece – Onirou mou by a lot, even though the other one isn’t terrible.

Hungary – Az en apam and Candelight both should have made it. I know that the latter is a popular choice for putting in bottom 5 in 2008, but this is my opinion.

Last edited 8 days ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

Almost the same here. The only difference was that I chose “Utopian Land” for Greece because of how unusual and memorable that song is to me.

Reply to  Purple Mask

Utopian land indeed is very unusual and memorable. It’s one of those songs (much like Georgia in 2019) which is somewhat removed from what I usually listen to, but I have to appreciate the originality in it. It’s somewhere between ”this is so messy” and ”hey, this is so cool”. A true mixed review for me, but I am drawn to it’s more unusual aspects. That kind of song can change my perspective at any time.

Last edited 7 days ago by Colin
ESC8
ESC8
Reply to  Colin

As I can see, with this bunch of countries we only agree with Greece 2018, and Georgia 2017 I guess. So, let’s wait for the next countries

TheDrMistery
TheDrMistery
8 days ago

Finland: Both 2010 and 2017 absolutely deserved it. I voted for 2010 entrants because they almost qualified even with juries punishing them for singing in Finnish.
Georgia: Not the most inspired bunch of songs but Tamara (2017) gets my vote on the basis of stellar vocal performance.
Greece: 2016 is terrible so 2018 wins by default with a great song and singer but underwhelming staging.
Hungary: 2009 is a kind of guilty pleasure for me.

#pioneer
#pioneer
Reply to  TheDrMistery

Hungary had a good song in 2009, but WTH was that live performance?! :/ It really destroyed any chances of qualifying they ever had 🙁

TheDr Mistery
TheDr Mistery
Reply to  #pioneer

Yeah, he was out of breath all the time but studio version was fine. I liked “Candlelight” as well.