It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new podcast — and we’re feeling good! This week VICTORIA released “Ugly Cry”, a potential Eurovision 2021 song; Little Big said they will enter Russia’s Eurovision selection; Germany’s Ben Dolic and Croatia’s Damir Kedzo said they WON’T continue with or enter their national selections; Norway revealed a wildcard round for Melodi Grand Prix 2021; the EBU re-confirmed the 2020 semi-final allocation draw for 2021 and revealed that all countries will record live-on-tape performances; and Albania’s RTSH revealed all 26 of their FiK 59 songs.

Eurovision podcast (Episode 81)

For this week’s podcast, William calls Deban to discuss all the news from their flats in London. But, as ever, our contributors from around the world chime in with their insights. Calvin in Germany speculates about the reasons Ben Dolic has pulled out of Germany’s selection; Dayana in Russia gives us her take on Little Big wanting to submit songs for Eurovision 2021; Erdi in Kosovo shares more yet-to-be-announced news about FiK 59 in Albania; Lauren in Norway shares her thoughts on the Melodi Grand Prix wildcard round; Robyn in New Zealand discusses why the EBU is re-using last year’s semi-final allocation draw; and Jonathan in the UK serves his hot takes on this week in music.

Added bonus: Bulgaria’s Eurovision 2021 star VICTORIA discusses her new single “Ugly Cry”.

You can subscribe on Spotify and Apple Music. This episode was produced by Samuel in London.

Topics covered in this week’s episode, include:

Ugly Cry! VICTORIA shares shortlisted Eurovision 2021 song from Bulgaria’s internal selection

Germany: Ben Dolic says he will not participate in Eurovision 2021

Russia: Little Big say that they won’t be automatically selected for Eurovision 2021…but they will submit songs for consideration

Norway: “Most important MGP ever” – NRK reveals more about Melodi Grand Prix 2021, including 12 finalists

Eurovision 2021 semi-finals confirmed: 2020 allocation draw will be retained

Eurovision 2021: All 41 acts to record “live-on-tape” backup performances

LISTEN: Albania’s RTSH reveals all 26 competing songs of Festivali i Këngës 59

New music this week: 21 songs from KAZKA & ALEKSEEV, Stefania, Ivi Adamou and more

Erasmus
Erasmus

unrelated, but does anybody know if Israeli songs will still be released in November or later?

Reply to  Erasmus

Sadly, no. Last article on Israel (8th November) does not even mention when the 10 (not 16) songs will be released.

Erasmus
Erasmus

ok that’s sad thank u for the answer tho! 🙂

Great podcast as always!! Deban said something that I’ve been thinking about recently: countries to make songs not to merely qualify from semis but in order to win the whole thing. I find 2021 very particular and time will tell whether I am right or not: more countries than ever are in for the win because one needs a very good song and performance to get from semi to the GF. If the semis will be haardd – just wait and see the GF with the added “pressure” of the Big 5 hopefully trying to do better than in previous… Read more »

Ashton
Ashton

I’m very wary of the no non-Albanian jurors in FIK. While it’s a good idea in practice to have only jurors from your country, in Albania the foreign juries had, to me and to many other fans, much better taste and less whiffs of corruption than the two Albanian jurors had. So now I’m worried that a song that isn’t in the minds of Albanian fans at all will win, rather than the song that deserves it. But even in saying that, the song that ‘deserves’ the win is very subjective, so I guess we’ll see.

GIOLO
GIOLO
Reply to  Ashton

But Eugent Bushpepa, Jonida Maliqi and Lindita all deserved to win, so let’s hope they will make the right decision again!

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  GIOLO

For me, I wanted Xhesika or Orgesa or Inis to win over Mall, but Mall is still a great song.

Reply to  GIOLO

I agree about Eugent and I only know two songs from that edition. He managed to get Albania back into the GF and that said, he qualified from the first semi that I can remember of being called a bloedbath.

Reply to  Ashton

I definitely prefer this year’s system compared to last year’s where 60% of the vote was non-Albanian. Eurovision songs should be reflective of and representative of the country sending it. At least, short of having a televote, that’s what they’ll have this year in FiK.

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Briekimchi

I completely agree in principle but where I really disagree with the FiK voting is that there is no televote 90% of the time. It’s not fair to the people of Albania.

Reply to  Ashton

And, in turn, I agree with you. For ESC and NF selections, I’d rather go with a 100% televote over any sort of jury involvement, every time.

However, in the case of certain selection processes such as Sanremo, FiK and others…the selection of a Eurovision act is secondary and winning a national festival is considered more important. Part of that importance is the fact that your entry has won over music professionals or your peers. Due to the history, longevity and prestige of these competitions, it makes things a bit less black and white.

Super-fun the verbal ping-pong between WLA (love) and DA (love) at the start of the podcast! I wish there was a new allocation draw for 2021. #slaytheday