Juri Pootsmann _Magus melanhoolia_ Eesti Laul 2021

Estonia’s Eesti Laul goes live later this week, with semi-final one on Thursday and two on Saturday. But before the shows air, we can reveal who you like best out of all 24 acts — Jüri Pootsmann with “Magus melanhoolia”.

(Note, we’ll publish the poll results for each semi-final closer to the time)

Poll results: Jüri Pootsmann is your favourite to win Eesti Laul 2021

After counting a total of 4,317 votes we can reveal that Jüri Pootsmann is your pre-show favourite. An impressive 788 votes went the way of the Eurovision 2016 star. That amounts to 18.25% of all votes cast. Jüri will perform “Magus melanhoolia” during Saturday’s second semi.

In a close second, we have last year’s winner — Uku Suviste. He picked up 751 votes for “The Lucky One”. After Eurovision 2020’s cancellation, will Uku catch a lucky break and get there in 2021? Of those surveyed, 17.4% think he should. Uku is also penned in for semi-final two.

The top three is completed by another recent Eesti Laul champ — Koit Toome. He attracted 498 votes for “We Could Have Been Beautiful”. The dramatic ballad won over 11.54% of poll voters. Koit will sing in Thursday’s first semi.

Newcomers Gram-Of-Fun and Heleza complete the top five.

Poll results: Who should win Eesti Laul 2021?

1. Jüri Pootsmann “Magus melanhoolia” 18.25% (788 votes)
  2. Uku Suviste “The Lucky One” 17.4% (751 votes)
  3. Koit Toome “We Could Have Been Beautiful” 11.54% (498 votes)
  4. Gram-Of-Fun “Lost in a Dance” 10.15% (438 votes)
  5. Heleza “6” 9.29% (401 votes)
  6. Egert Milder “Free Again” 3.75% (162 votes)
  7. Andrei Zevakin & Pluuto “Wingman” 3.68% (159 votes)
  8. Sissi “Time” 2.78% (120 votes)
  9. Suured tüdrukud “Heaven’s Not That Far Tonight” 2.36% (102 votes)
  10. Karl Killing “Kiss Me” 2.22% (96 votes)
  11. Nika Marula “Calm Down” 1.88% (81 votes)
  12. Hans Nayna “One By One” 1.85% (80 votes)
  13. Tanja “Best Night Ever” 1.85% (80 votes)
  14. Kéa “Hypnotized” 1.64% (71 votes)
  15. Kadri Voorand “Energy” 1.6% (69 votes)
  16. Ivo Linna, Robert Linna, Supernova “Ma olen siin” 1.55% (67 votes)
  17. Uku Haasma “Kaos” 1.55% (67 votes)
  18. REDEL “Tartu” 1.53% (66 votes)
  19. Alabama Watchdog “Alabama Watchdog” 1.32% (57 votes)
  20. Rahel “Sunday Night” 1.2% (52 votes)
  21. WIIRALT “Tuuled” 0.93% (40 votes)
  22. Tuuli Rand “Üks öö” 0.76% (33 votes)
  23. Kristin Kalnapenk “Find a Way” 0.58% (25 votes)
  24. Helen “Nii kõrgele” 0.32% (14 votes)

Total Votes: 4,317

What do you think of the poll rankings? Where did your favourite place? Let us know below.

Follow all of our Estonia Eurovision 2021 news.

ESCFan2009
ESCFan2009
1 month ago

Imagine Egert’s “Free Again” for Estonia and Kaja’s “Feel Again” for Norway 😀 Hilarious!

Tibor
Tibor
1 month ago

Okay, the unholy trinity in the top three, that was to be expected, personally I hope, Estonia will send neither of them. In my opinion the safest choice for a good result would be Heleza – if she can pull this off live. She is giving us a very recognisable sound that we will get from nowhere else. My personal favourites are Gram-of-fun who sound thoroughly 80s but are not stuck in the 80s. I’m very curious to see them live. Zevakin & Pluuto should also advance to the final, they give us a very palatable flavor of hip hop,… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by Tibor
El Cotilla
El Cotilla
1 month ago

I love Juri, but not his song, i don’t really get it

1 month ago

An interesting and quite understated competition. Uku Suviste should probably have been internally selected after his 2020 win, so everyone else is at an automatic disadvantage. I have loved Koit Toome ever since I was a teenager, so there is bias here. But if Karl Killing keeps begging me to kiss him, my head might turn. 😛
The great unknown is Heleza. Totally different entry: French, sensual, artistic, symbolic, yet we don’t know how that’s going to work live. At least with Gram-Of-Fun, we know what we’re going to get.

Reply to  Purple Mask

This argument again? No, he should not have been. Eesti laul serves a purpose besides Eurovision and we would not have our beloved Koit and other good acts without it.

Ah, point taken.

Aksel
Aksel
1 month ago

Omg when I heard Koit Toome’s song 5-6 days ago I was blown away…still on my repeat! Such a beautiful song and video. ?? Love from Croatia!

Last edited 1 month ago by Aksel
Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
1 month ago

Juri’s song is amazing and it’s a genre we haven’t seen at Eurovision before. Truly hoping it wins, but it’s going to be Uku and I’ve already made my peace with that.

Milla
Milla
Reply to  Ashton Schier

A genre that probobly will fail. Such a boring song.

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
Reply to  Milla

In your opinion, which isn’t shared by quite a substantial amount of people.

eha
eha
1 month ago

As an estonian, Jüri’s song is by far my favorite.
But knowing other estonians i am quite sure Uku will win again,
he is very popular here and also will gain some pity votes. (Not fan of his song, too boring)
Also some might not vote for Jüri just cause he got last place last time, soyeah…
if you are Jüri fan, don’t get your hopes up too much.

Reply to  eha

🙁

Andi
Andi
Reply to  eha

What do Estonians think about Gram-of-Fun? I’m curious.

Reply to  Andi

not estonian, but it has even less chance of winning than Juri:(

Liisa
Liisa
Reply to  Andi

Imo Estonians don’t really talk about Gram-Of-Fun. A lot of Estonians have said that Kristel Aaslaid isn’t very good live, that’s why I don’t think it will get a good place in the final. But it’ll qualify.

Milla
Milla
Reply to  eha

Uku’s song is as generic as you can get..

OpenUpToKazakhstan
OpenUpToKazakhstan
1 month ago

You spelt his name incorrectly. Correct spelling “Gram-Of-Fun”.

Poll results- Gram-Of-Fun should win Eesti Laul 2021 with “Lost In A Dance”

Much better lol

Andi
Andi
1 month ago

Yeah, that looks more correct in my eyes 🙂

Esc fan
Esc fan
1 month ago

Honestly, magus melancholia is such a vibe, I love it. It needs to be longer though.

Andi
Andi
1 month ago

Gram-of-Fun Fans around? For me the most danceable song there. Would scream if they win this.

Az*rbaijan
Az*rbaijan

Same old Estonian mediocrity… next

Effing
Effing

The other 65 people who voted for “Tartu”: I love you xD

Last edited 1 month ago by Effing
Kris
Kris
Reply to  Effing

Thanks , love u too

1 month ago

I *love* “Ma olen siin”. My winner of Eesti Laul 2021 pre-shows. Fascinating, mesmerizing, curious, lovely energy, interesting construction; it involves different generations of talent; it’s in Estonian. I’ve been vibing with it from the first time I’ve heard it last year, and have been listening to it quite often in the past weeks.

I am very excited for my first Eesti Laul!!

EuroNerd
EuroNerd
1 month ago

Magus Melanhoolia is my favourite but I’m a little scared that the chorus will be a mess live

Reply to  EuroNerd

It’s a shocker of a Chorus. My guess is there will be a very loud backing noise. 🙂
Either that, or Jüri might read this comment, turn off the backing track and belt out the whole thing himself. How about it? 😀

Carmen LaRouge
Carmen LaRouge
1 month ago

I really hope Heleza will win EL. Her song is honestly just such a standout, the only song that might be as interesting is Juri’s

1 month ago

It is such a shame that Estonia will send dated ballads (Koit – whose song is actually my guilty pleasure and Uku – whose song is literally awful, he can sing, but there is just something about his voice that I hate) instead of modern indie pop (Gram-of-fun, Heleza, Egert or Jüri)

Héctor
Héctor
Reply to  Erasmus

Facts

Reply to  Erasmus

It is. While Koit gets a pass from me, Uku doesn’t. He won last year with a song so bland that it was literally unlistenable to me and after a whole year, he barely managed to write an entry that is just slightly better, calling it ‘the best song I ever wrote.’

Well, at least Koit gets a pass from you. 🙂
What do you think of Heleza, I wonder?

Reply to  Purple Mask

I think Koit deserves it because of his voice which is much more special and emotional than Uku’s, in my opinion. And of course because he was criminally underrated in 1998. 🙂 And should have at least made the final in 2017. Heleza’s song is too monotonous to me and I already have four acts I support in that NF. I hope any of those will be able to challenge, frankly.

Last edited 1 month ago by Mr Vanilla Bean
GojoSatoru
GojoSatoru
1 month ago

Magus Melanhoolia is a good song and very dverse, but if Jüri’s vocals are the same as 2016, he wouldn’t be a good choice to send to Eurovision again.

Esc fan
Esc fan
Reply to  GojoSatoru

I mean I know his vocals weren’t amazing in 2016 but I think the song just gave off such a creepy vibe, he was trying to act in a seductive manner and I guess it didnt work. This song however is all about emotion so I don’t think he’ll have that same problem. Also imo this song is better than his 2016 song.

Vytautas
Vytautas
1 month ago

“Magus melanhoolia”, “We Could Have Been Beautiful” or “Wingman”. If Estonia will send Uku Suviste and his cheesy “The Lucky One”, I’m afraid my dear friends in Estonia will have to be happy with a non-qualification. Greetings from the discoteque country, odd sis!

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
1 month ago

juri sounds like a donkey in heat, koit’s song is dated and uku’s is mega-dated ….. we sure there ain’t no fourth option ?

Agree with opinions about Uku and Koit. BUT do not insult my boy Jüri

Carmen LaRouge
Carmen LaRouge

The 4th option is called Heleza

Benny Hill
1 month ago

I don’t even want to imagine how did you come across a donkey in heat to be able to compare. 😛

Andi
Andi

There is! Gram-of-Fun!!

Lena
Lena

uku

Yudhistira Mahasena
1 month ago

I can already imagine Juri fans, Uku fans, and Koit fans arguing and being involved in computer keyboard wars on who should win Eesti Laul 2020. But for me Uku is my easiest choice because I’m biased to him and his song, “The lucky one”. It’s not your stereotypical ballad, better than “What love is”, and sounds like something Scottish electronic music group CHVRCHES would sing.

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
1 month ago

chvrches wouldn’t touch that thing with a pole

please do not insult CHVRCHES like that lol hahaha 🙂

Yudhistira Mahasena
Reply to  Erasmus

If you’re saying I’m insulting CHVRCHES, I’m sorry. It’s just that nostalgia plays a huge factor when I hear Uku Suviste – “The lucky one”, because it sounds like “The mother we share”. I have no intent on saying negative things about CHVRCHES at all.

1 month ago

yeah I know I don’t blame you, you can have your opinion, I was just joking:)

Kosey
Kosey
1 month ago

I am really enjoying Estonia’s selection this year, there are 4 songs that I have fallen in love with and many more which have lots of quality: 1. Koit – oh my, I am really feeling that melancholic regret that you get when you reach a certain time in your life. The video for the song is gorgeous and I particularly love the ending – the comforting hope that in actual fact, it is never too late for anything 2. Gram of Fun – this is the best 80s inspired song of the season for me so far – it… Read more »

1 month ago

Another selection I really enjoy. A lot of filler songs but most were decent to listen to. My clear winner, which I ended up playing on repeat: ‘Wingman’. Fun, melodious, entertaining, Estonian. I also like Jüri’s song, it’s something else and his voice is incredible. I hope he’ll be able to pull this off live and I believe he should get his redemption at Eurovision at some point. The same goes for Koit. Such a beautiful voice. I just wish the song was more interesting. I’m also vibing with ‘Lost In A Dance’. I know the winner is almost certain… Read more »

1 month ago

My only concern regarding one of my favorites: If by some miracle Uku loses and Koit wins, I’m not sure if Estonia would send him a 4th time and I kind of wish he’d be going to Eurovision with I song I love as much as his 1998 one. I’ll still be happy for him if he wins, though. As for Pluuto and Jüri: I’d be thrilled if they won, they both bring something unique to the table.

1 month ago

Forth time? He went solo in the 90s. With Laura in 2017. His 2021 participation would be the third, right?

1 month ago

Yeah, I meant after 2021, in case he got chosen this year.

GojoSatoru
GojoSatoru
1 month ago

If his voice is the same as in 2016, then it isn’t incredible at all. After all, he uses lots of autotune in his video clip. So concluding whether his voice is incredible or not is only possible with a live version.

Reply to  GojoSatoru

That’s literally what I wrote: ‘I hope he’ll be able to pull this off live’. It could be excellent, it could be a disaster. In 2016, the disaster most certainly wasn’t his voice but the way he came across on camera.
Regardless of that, he has a very unique voice.

Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde
1 month ago

I hope for Uku Suviste “The Lucky One”

Yudhistira Mahasena
1 month ago

Same here. Uku deserves what he deserves after Eurovision 2020 was canceled – to represent Eurovision 2021 with a song better than his song last year. “What love is” sucked and bored me to tears. I listen to EDM a lot and I can relate to “The lucky one”, which is an EDM ballad – sounds like what CHVRCHES would sing, but sounds like Uku himself.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
1 month ago

The lucky one is definitely better than what love is, but is it good enough to win again? Unlike With Lithuania, there’s some actual competition in the Estonian national final. I do think uku might have a better chance of winning again compared to Aksel for Finland, and I can’t comment on the mamas because their song isn’t gonna be oit till next week so I don’t know if their song in the middle will be better than move or not.

Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

“There’s some actual competition in the Estonian national final.” Yes there is!!

Personally: I like Uku’s effort but there are better or much better songs in Eesti Laul this year.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
1 month ago

If he pulls off a great performance, then uku might get his second chance, if he doesn’t get sympathy voting because he didn’t go last year. It But as we have learned for this national final season, pre-show and prior eurovision popularity don’t necessarily mean victory (As we learned last Saturday with Croatia). Koit’s song is fine but he has already been to eurovision twice. I think I find that like more songs from the second semifinal than the first for Estonia. Lost in a dance is actually my favorite song of his whole selection, but we’ll see if it… Read more »

Teddy
Teddy
Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

It’s because they used to need the time in order to move the stage from Tartu to Tallinn and for the acts to revamp their stage shows

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Teddy

But isn’t the whole show in Tallinn this year?

Graham B
Graham B
1 month ago

Personally, I think Juri is a little too contemporary. I adore Gram-of-fun and would legit cry if it won, but I think it’s a two horse race between Uku and Koit; I’d be very happy to see either take it though!
Looking forward to tomorrow and Saturday, regardless!

Yudhistira Mahasena
Reply to  Graham B

I agree. Juri’s Eesti Laul 2021 song is terrifying and scares me.

1 month ago

What exactly is terrifying about it, though? Too much orange?

1 month ago

It’s that horrible noise in the Chorus, surely. Can’t people hear it?

Teddy
Teddy
1 month ago

Juri will probably come second to You but he’s made a masterpiece here. Curious how it’ll look and sound live 🙂

Teddy