valéria romeu bairos

Olá, Portugal! The Iberian nation just witnessed the first semi-final of the 2021 edition of Festival da Canção. Ten acts battled for five places in the final.

In the end, a combination of professional jury and televote decided that Karetus ft Romeu Bairos, Valéria, The Black Mamba, Fábia Maia and Sara Afonso are one step closer to Eurovision 2021.

Portugal’s Festival da Canção 2021 semi-final one results

The first of two semi-finals took place in Lisbon’s RTP headquarters. 50% of the result came from a professional jury that included Eurovision 2003 star Rita Guerra and Eurovision 2021 “Medo de Sentir” composer Marta Carvalho. The remaining 50% from televote. The qualifiers were announced in random order.

Excitement and expectation was building in this semi-final, said to have one of the fan favourites for the victory.

After an intense qualifiers announcement, the five who’ll be back at RTP’s studios are: Karetus ft. Romeu Bairos with “Saudade”, Valéria with “Na Mais Profunda Saudade ”, The Black Mamba with “Love is on my side”, Fábia Maia with “Dia lindo” and Sara Afonso with “Contramão”.

Portugal results semi final 1 2021

Valéria – “Na mais profunda saudade” live at semi-final one of Festival da Canção 2021

Karetus & Romeu Bairos – “Saudade” live at semi-final one of Festival da Canção 2021

The Black Mamba – “Love is on my side” live at semi-final one of Festival da Canção 2021

Fábia Maia – “Dia lindo” live at semi-final one of Festival da Canção 2021

Sara Afonso – “Contramão” live at semi-final one of Festival da Canção 2021

Unfortunately, it’s the end of the line for mema. as well as Nadine, Miguel Marôco, IRMA and IAN. None of these acts will be heard in the grand final on March 6.

Next week, ten more entries will compete and another five will join the line-up of the grand final in Lisbon.

Are you happy with tonight’s results? Are you surprised? Which live performance was your favourite? Tell us in the comment section below

Read more Portugal Eurovision 2021 news here

Lenny
Lenny

Karetus were amazing, easily my fav one.

L'oiseau

Very surprisingly, “Contramao” by Sara Afonso was by far the best for me. She had the best overall package: great composition, great voice, competent delivery, best staging. On the other hand “Saudade” by Karetus was a very big disapointment. The staging was a mess and the singer did nothing to elevant the song, on the contrary, showed it’s limitations. Black Mama very competent, but lacked energy Valéria, very nervous at first and for me the act/song doesn’t work in the FdC context Fábia, very interesting song and act, but she and the whole act needs some polishing. All in all… Read more »

I like “Contramão” that much that I have it already as my personal winner of FdC!! It grabbed me from the very first listen. It was everything I expected on stage but the staging could have been better overall. It only came to life by the end of the song! As for my other favourite “Girassol”: the song is great, the staging was a letdown. Complete letdown. Miguel could have probably look more appealing if not the dark clothes. I don’t know. In any case, I am tranquila. I have two great songs from FdC this year. I am open… Read more »

Jamie
Jamie

Why? I thought it was pretty good. They only need some backs.

lasse braun
lasse braun

i like the singing hat most. 🙂

Those 5 songs are very good. I was ultra disappointed with the staging for “Cheguei aqui”, so no surprise there. And Girassol too. 🙁

NickC
NickC

Thesr are 5 decent songs. I feel Portugal will do very well this year.

Reply to  NickC

If you wanna be optimistic, sure.

Oh and Bernardo! It was so nice to see you on our screens. Even if I wasn’t really able to follow what you were contributing…I’m sure you were being great though, as always!

Elsa
Elsa

Contramão is a gem of a song! Karetus x Romeu was a cool performance, though the refrain is repetitive and staging left much to be desired. Sorry for IAN but happy to have met her! 🙂 Looking forward to the next semi-final!

Bob
Bob

Contramão is so magical

Last edited 9 months ago by Bob
Alex Fergunson
Alex Fergunson

“Contramão” is the best song for me, magic. I also really liked Black Mamba’s song, as expected, as Pedro is such a great artist. All the other ones were so far behind these two, in terms of music quality and on creating a moment of poetry – at least in my view. But I also like to disregard any competition and listen to music for the music, as I believe it’s not really possible to make art compete against other art. Anyway, hope you are all well and safe during these rough times.

The standard was just ridiculously high. Even the weakest song and performance (Ian’s) was still pretty good. I do not envy them having to choose which five made it through. Really enjoying this NF. Looking forward to Pedro’s song next week, otherwise, I’m more than happy to roll with Valéria as my winner. Her performance was just amazing.

Elfi
Elfi

Next week i need NEEV to impress, and that’s a wrap…

Awfull stage! RTP needs to stop “saving” money on culture…if they want to be the portuguese broadcast you have to give something bigger and updated to the artists, this way upbeat songs and big performers are always starting in a worse position…

With that out of my system… i really think NEEV will be amazing!

Last edited 9 months ago by Elfi
Rui
Rui
Reply to  Elfi

I’m portuguese. I tell a lot of portuguese rock and metal bands they should go to festival da canção. Submit entries. Their reply? They tell me they would not bother, because it’s an ”elitist” show where only ”consecrated” song writers can get in and write a song for them, or friends of people that work in RTP .

Alfonso Moreno Domínguez
Alfonso Moreno Domínguez

“Na mais profunda saudade” is my favourite. I thought I wanted some fado from Portugal right before I listened to the songs and that’s what I got here. Even though, staging does really need to be improved. Lighting, camera shots and especially that dress. It’s completely distracting, in a bad way. It needs to go. If they don’t change anything, the winners are going to be “Saudade” with no competition. And I wouldn’t mind that.

Jensteri
Jensteri

What a great result! I would have chosed Cheguei aqui over Saudade but other than that I’m really happy with the results. 🙂

Romeu needs to work on his stage presence for the final, but “Saudade” proved to be the most interesting song in the competition. I’m glad that Valéria (beautiful vocal performance) and Sara also made it. The Black Mamba was pleasant too. On the other hand, sad that “Claro Como Água” and “Girassol” won’t be around anymore.

I guess Festival da Canção’s semifinals are the only shows who benefited from the lack of an audience. The stage got bigger and the audience normally doesn’t participate much on the shows recorded in RTP’s studios.

Reply to  Sabrina

Valéria really knocked it out of the park with her singing. When she then spoke, I almost couldn’t believe that she was the same person. But Portugal shouldn’t send a traditional fado again, that’s a certain recipe for failure as we’ve seen many, many times. If they insist on fado they need to bring it into the present or Europe won’t understand it. And I want Portugal to do well.

Daniel
Daniel
Reply to  Tibor

Portugal never sent a fado song to Eurovision.

James
James
Reply to  Daniel

Doesn’t 1976’s “Uma Flor De Verde Pinho” count as such?

James
James
Reply to  Tibor

They did sent a modernized fado, or rather a modern tribute to fado in 2012 but they didn’t qualify with it sadly.

Reply to  Tibor

They finished 8th with fado in 2008 and it’s still considered to be a fan-favorite. I’d call that a big success. 🙂

That said, I love Valeria’s fado (probably my winner of this semi), but I find Vania’s song to have a more powerful progression, bridge and climax. Still, Valeria could qualify.

Reply to  Colin

Not 8th, 13th.

Reply to  Tibor

That’s the thing, even if you’d argue that Portugal hasn’t sent “real” fado that often (and I think it’s at least difficult to deny it in 1976), it has sent lots of folk inspired music and emotional ballads – the little sisters of fado if you will, and only managed to finish higher than mid-table twice. And yes, Colin, it’s great to have a Eurovision evergreen that’s adored by the fans, but after all I see a lot more potential in Festival da Cançao, I have their entries consistently in my top 10, and in my opinion that’s where Portugal… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

I agree. Portugal has more potential than most of it’s results show.

I’m unsure which song in this selection would fit the bill of being alternative and unique, while still being modern and accessible for wider audiences. So far (we’ll see after the performances) I think that Pedro and Neev would likely achieve the highest result on ESC, but while I really like them, I’d hardly call them alternative. I mean, being alternative is not a pre-requisite of being either successful or of high quality, but I also feel like Portugal can achieve all of the above.

Reply to  Colin

Between Portugal sending something that could be sent by any other country (nothing against Neev, I actually like his music) and a good fado, I still would prefer the good fado. Though I’m in sync with Tibor in this one, I would prefer something alternative, that may sound Portuguese and modern at the same time. That’s why I’m rooting for “Saudade” and I was hoping “Claro Como Água” would make it. After “Telemóveis” and “O Jardim” getting bad results, I feel Portugal really needs a good one to keep FdC’s great format alive. But what if they send something very… Read more »

Reply to  Sabrina

You were posting as I was writing my long-winded speech, but I couldn’t agree more: Had only the juries done their job, we wouldn’t have to worry about Portugal abandoning this promising route they’re on.

Good TED Talk though. 😛

Reply to  Colin

No, being alternative is not a guarantee for success, what I wanted to say is: The Portuguese brand of alternative music that FdC is serving is high quality enough to be successful. mema’s song is the best example: It serves a cool sound that nobody would expect to have come out of a national final to Eurovision, because Eurovision is seen – at best – as a contest for charts pop. Portugal just needs to find the sweet spot. Conan was too weird for the general public, mema could have been just right, I haven’t written of Karetus, also NEEV… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

I’ll answer to both of you, Tibor and Sabrina. 🙂 I find Portugal to be one of the most interesting countries at ESC, because (along with Spain, France and Italy, and to a lesser degree ex-Yugoslavian countries and Albania) they really cherish their national culture musically. For all of these countries, I am constantly torn between wanting them to continue sending something with a national flavor and trying something more international to switch it up a bit. On one hand, I would hate the idea of ESC becoming (even more) totally dependent on international sounding songs in English. Sure, some… Read more »

Last edited 9 months ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

There’s a lot to unpack in your post. First of all, I don’t agree at all with your lumping together of countries, that as far as I see it are acting very differently, but that’s just a sidenote. To make it simple, I think there are two problems that always tend to get mixed-up and confused with each other: 1. the language or “ethnic” problem, 2. the alternative/mainstream problem. For me the second one is the important one: I don’t want everything to sound the same. As somebody pointed out on the Norway-thread, an entry should be reflective of what… Read more »

Last edited 9 months ago by Tibor
Reply to  Tibor

I want to be clear about one thing: my problem with Neev’s song is not that it’s in English. I also never said that I think Portugal can’t sand a song that’s not in Portuguese, even if I root they keep going with their (which happens to be also mine) language. I don’t want it to win because it’s a song that could be found in any other national final. It would fit Melfest perfectly. But how many countries already pursue this? If it was a fantastic song, great. I personally think it’s only a nice one. I’ve liked more… Read more »

Reply to  Sabrina

I can totally understand this and I think I’ve misunderstood you both that the language is the main barrier here. For me, a certain authenticity (or however we’ll call the feeling of sincerity in the song) is a key part of me feeling it and most often, liking it. I usually tend not to immediately look-up for authors (it happens eventually, ofc), because it happened that same people wrote some of my favorite and least favorite NF songs if they are prolific enough. I think that songs by authors like G:Son, Barker, Jansson, Siegel, Milanov, ect. don’t really sound similar… Read more »

Last edited 9 months ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

In Neev’s case, it’s not even a matter of authenticity or sincerity, his song sounds very heartfelt (by the way, not a single entry in FdC feels artificial and I love that) and it seems he naturally pursues a more international sound. I’m actually glad that he accepted to participate and that he offers something different from the usual menu of FdC. Maybe next Saturday he’ll convince me it has to be him. For now, I’m more into other entries. About some songwriters monopolizing Melfest and/or the Eurovision universe, I guess they’re on their right. If there’s someone to blame,… Read more »

Reply to  Sabrina

I pretty much share your approach to music in general. It’s the quality that matters first and foremost. For me, most of established ESC veterans had some extremely good songs, but each had some mediocre, if not poor ones. That’s how it is when you write dozens of songs per year. You can’t get it every time. And that’s fine. I also do wish that more newer authors also get the same platform. I mean, I have no issues with some repeated authors (say, Karl Killing writing 3 songs in this year’s EL), but having same 5-6 people writing about… Read more »

Last edited 9 months ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

Since I started following FdC, I don’t remember any competitive song in English, so it’s hard to tell if the juries would harm them. We were supposed to know this better with “Rebellion”, but the live performance was a disaster. If Neev does well in the semi and doesn’t qualify… On the other hand, as you mentioned, there are other options in a similar level in the lineup. So if he loses, it’s not necessarily because the Portuguese jury and/or televote don’t want a song in English. Though I know we’ll read some comments on this lane, because of… drama.… Read more »

Reply to  Sabrina

I think I am likely worried over nothing. 😉 I was so concentrated on Neev’s future result (because it’s one of my favorite songs), totally forgetting that The Black Mamba already qualified with a song in English. Because of the juries, audiences or both, we still don’t know. But they did it. So, if Neev is good in live, I think he’ll likely make it. Fingers crossed. As for Rebellion, I was also thinking how they DQd over an English song before hearing them live. But last year had several really poor (or at least odd) live performances in a… Read more »

Last edited 9 months ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

In what land can any song you mention “do good”? Oh yeah, as good as O Jardim and Telemoveis did. Stop being a narcissist and thinking your little alternative songs will take Europe by storm because you like them. We have all seen what they get Portugal, a garbage result. Stop thinking Europe is like you, you minuscule minority of hipsters..And stop saying you want “the best for Portugal”. You don’t, quite the opposite. The reason FdC and Eurovision are seen as a joke in Portugal is because of people like you, who constantly force Portugal to fit your need… Read more »

Reply to  Sabrina

I understand you, Sabrina. And I also think that sending NEEV with a song like “Something Trivial” – which I had on repeat for a good part of last year – would be preferable to sending him with “Dancing in the stars”. But I still think, “Dancing in the stars” isn’t a bad song.

Last edited 9 months ago by Tibor
Reply to  Colin

I’m sorry but this just gets annoying. So Portugal HAS to send a portuguese song that will do terribly in the contest because “you gotta have someone send an alternative song so Portugal should sacrifice getting a good score to please the minority”. The hypocrisy in this line of thinking is annoying. No, Portugal shouldn’t be a guinea pig that “just needs to have patience”. Alternative songs have earned them NOTHING besides “praise” from a miniscule amount of people that encourage them to constantly set themselves up for failure because “the alternative spirit needs to be kept alive somewhere”. It’s… Read more »

Reply to  DDRaven

No need to be that aggressive, DDRaven. In your rant, you called ourselves hypocrites, our opinions a joke, implied we want to use Portugal as a guinea pig and that we don’t care about the country. All of this just because we have a different opinion? By doing that, you’re the one not “dealing with it”. You’re the one wanting us to bend down to your personal thoughts on the subject.

Reply to  Sabrina

Oh shut it. The 3 of you have done nothing but cry that Portugal is only allowed to do what YOU personally want. Portugal should be allowed to do whatever the hell it desires. Want authenticity, go cry to other countries to change, don’t enforce Portugal into it. Also all I said is true. YOU 3 are crying and moaning that all Portugal can do is what YOU want and anything different is sacrilege. YOU 3 are the ones enforcing your desires and opinions and crying that Portugal can’t do what it desires and should only send “authentic” garbage songs… Read more »

Reply to  DDRaven

Sorry, DDRaven, but you’re answering Colin while you’re quoting me and you’re completely distorting my words. So let me set this straight: 1. I don’t think FdC is making Portugal a laughing stock, the opposite is true. 2. If Portugal wants to scrap FdC, buy Swedish pop songs instead and go internal next year, that’s their call. I’d just be sad. But I think that this move would probably make them much more of a laughing stock. 3. As I already pointed out, I’m not against Portugal trying something more mainstream and sending something in English. But I think they… Read more »

Last edited 9 months ago by Tibor
Reply to  Tibor

And where in the hell did I say they should buy Melfest rejects? For a guy complaining about being taken out of context you sure love doing it hypocrite. All I said is that Portugal shouldn’t be forced to constantly send bad songs that will get garbage results because a bunch of hipsters like you can’t get anything alternative elsewhere. Want alternative, go ask other countries to give it a shot. Portugal shouldn’t be forced to constantly send worthless songs because of this dumb illogical fear of yours that they will become the next Latvia if they “dare” to send… Read more »

Last edited 9 months ago by DDRaven
Reply to  DDRaven

I think that you are simultaneously trying to answer both me and Tibor, while really taking our words out of the context. Neither of us said exactly that. Actually, I was saying how I *do* think that an occasional English song could be rewarded in Portugal if it’s really good. I only said that I don’t want for FdC to become a NF mostly in English and with mostly foreign authors. That doesn’t mean that valid exceptions aren’t welcome. That just means that the broadcaster would have to be careful not to let a potential success of a potential English… Read more »

Reply to  Colin

Yeah yeah. “Portugal should keep getting garbage results and never try to do anything different from what has failed them every time because other countries don’t do it”. Can you 3 just say it as it is. You don’t want to keep the “sanctity” of FDC, you just want the country to keep being your little puppet for alternative songs. Constantly crying that “daring to send a song in english and it getting a good result will destroy Portugal” is a dumb lie. Say it as it is. You want FDC to continue being the 20th century joke contest that… Read more »

L'oiseau
Reply to  DDRaven

I find your outrage interesting… In your opinion, what would be the Portuguese acts that should go to ESC? Do you have any examples?

Reply to  L'oiseau

Whatever is the song with the best quality and can achieve the best result. Portugal shouldn’t be forced to choose garbage songs just because someone has to send in their native language with an alternative sound to please the miniscule minority. If the best song is that, so be it, if it isn’t, so be it. What I don’t want is a bunch of hipsters crying that Portugal isn’t allowed to send anything but the same garbage that accomplishes nothing like these 3 “geniuses” have been saying. Crying that daring not to please their narcissistic hipster views is wrong and… Read more »

L'oiseau
Reply to  DDRaven

Sorry, but you didn’t answer my question. In your opinion what would have been a best song or better song. Can you not give an example?

L'oiseau
Reply to  Sabrina

Sabrina, Tibor, Colin, Super interesting converstion, guys… I have my own views of course, knowing the Portuguese music scene. I do think that FdC has become a super interesting event, but for me it keeps short in matching the best of two worlds – keep the orignality but deliver a more apealing outcome. The contemporary music scene actually produced much more apealing songs than the ones that turn out in FdC. But for some reason the very same acts when they arrive to FdC they are concerned with the “prestige” factor and deliever much different and, yes, more difficult songs.… Read more »

Reply to  L'oiseau

Always nice to see you here, L’oiseau. 🙂 I don’t know if you agree but I think last year’s FdC took this step forward, not necessarily in terms of quality, but minding the fact there were more acts feeling free to do their own stuff, which added variety to the lineup. For some reason (maybe the fact Elisa won with a more conventional ballad), the invited songwriters went back to what you said, it’s like they’re adapting their music to what they believe it’s “contest appropriated”. Maybe the previous winner is influencing too much the mindset of the songwriters. I… Read more »

L'oiseau
Reply to  Sabrina

Thanks Sabrina, It’s good to be back. Actually, to tell you the truth I find that last year the composers did completely different things than what they usually do. The case in point is D’Alva, Filipe Sambado, Calema, Barbara Tinoco, Dino Santiago and even Marta Carvalho. It’s a bit paradoxical, but is like they are sending songs that are less mainstream, more experimental to what they usually do. I would say that they perfer to send someting outside of their usual spectrum to see how it goes and if they fail their legacy remains untouched… This year I see it… Read more »

Reply to  L'oiseau

That’s interesting. So the problem is not that they’re holding back, but that they’re trying things that may not fill the expectations of those who invited them. What do you think if they keep the invitation system but ask for each songwriter to send 2 or 3 songs and then they can build a more diverse lineup?

Reply to  L'oiseau

Hey, l’oiseau, what have you been up to? 🙂 I am, of course, lacking your insight into the Portuguese music scene, but I feel that this year the very eclectic songs we still saw in 2019 and 2020 aren’t present anymore. That’s probably a good thing when it comes to Eurovision, but I therefore don’t really see what you mean by “more difficult songs”. When I listen to NEEV’s or mema’s back catalogue, their songs for FdC seem to be on the contrary more digestable and mainstream, wouldn’t you agree? What’s a little worrying for me is – as I… Read more »

Last edited 9 months ago by Tibor
L'oiseau
Reply to  Tibor

Hey Tibor. You know I have been cometing less, because all my comments have to approved, which is a bore… I wonder why that is… Anyway, I take your point on 2021. See my reply to Sabrina. Indeed there are more mainstream songs this year than previously. But still I do think that even this year there is some mismatch with what the artists do outside the FdC. On your point on traditional sounds… I am bit torned there… On the one hand, I agree that RTP should go beyond the “mere” traditional sounds. Actually, I thought that Valéria, was… Read more »

Reply to  L'oiseau

I believe you, I cannot tell you the distinction between real and watered down fado. All I can say is that Portugal – as I perceive it – has often sent rather “folky” entries over the years and never got anywehere with them. If you think a “real” traditional fado could change that – I can always be convinced. 🙂 And the problem with DDraven’s diatribes is not that I don’t understand his frustration, particularly if it’s true that RTP has an injust or unbalanced invitation policy. I’m in no position to have an opinion on that. The problem is… Read more »

Last edited 9 months ago by Tibor
L’oiseau
L’oiseau
Reply to  Tibor

Points very well taken! And yes, I totally agree with on DDRaven form of communication and scapegoating. But well…

L’oiseau
L’oiseau
Reply to  L’oiseau

It does work eheheh

Reply to  L'oiseau

Thanks, William. And I already thought, I had been put on some sort of whitelist, because it’s been a while since one of my comments has been held back … 😉 I can’t promise anything, but I’ll try to be briefer.

Reply to  Tibor

Same with me, I was got by the filter all the time, but now it’s only happening if I post like 2 or 3 big comments in the same post in a space of a few hours. Like it happened in a previous Portuguese post when I was translating some of the lyrics for you.

But yeah, whatever they did with the filter, it’s working much better this season. 🙂

L’oiseau
L’oiseau
Reply to  L'oiseau

OMG!!!! William!!! What an honor! 😀 Thanks a lot for that! But unfortunately even very small comments have been subject to approval… But I will keep that in mind! Take care!

L’oiseau
L’oiseau
Reply to  L’oiseau

Oops… I just realized that you are right, of course ?

Skiwalko
Skiwalko

Oh, I simply adore “Contramao”. I know that if it won, everybody would compare it to “Amar pelos dois”, but to me this is quite a different flavour. Here I’m picturing a calm, starry, summer night and two people unhurriedly walking through the woods, accompanied only by the sound of crickets and the scent of resin. I feel quite literally spellbound by it, it’s just a ravishing moment of unspeakable magic.
Also, I gotta say, IAN was rocking that porcupine look.

jap
jap
Reply to  Skiwalko

Contramão was for me the great surprise of the evening. Love it.

Reply to  Skiwalko

I will miss IAN in the final. 🙂

jap
jap
Reply to  Tibor

Me too. It was my favourite…

John
John

I would like Saudade a lot more if it wasn’t so static. Get rid of the box and move around a little. The stage is so small anyway. The box doesn’t fit a traditional Portuguese song.

Max
Max
Reply to  John

The box is Karetus’ signature stage prop. Check out their other live performances 😉

James
James

The true winner of the night: This grand spankin’ title card.

Last edited 9 months ago by James
LaVoixCZ

Phew, the tension was high! Happy that “Contramão” made it through, however, I miss “Girassol”. ://

Are we going to ignore the fact that Saudade’s performance was awful?

The singer looked petrified and nervous. wtf was that with the rose giving me deja vu from Belarus 2018?

Also Wtf with those creepy dancers? what was the purpose exactly??

I understand that such small stage can limit the acts but seriously this is not a good performance and i hope they do better in the final because i LOVE the song.

zelenovi
zelenovi
Reply to  Alex

I thought it was a carnation – a reference to Portugal’s Carnation Revolution? (but i’m not portuguese so please correct me)

Fernando
Fernando
Reply to  zelenovi

Yes you are correct

Gongas
Gongas
Reply to  Alex

Those “creepy dancers” were actually dressed in traditional portuguese clothes and performing as the traditional way of Podence in the North. A little more respect for each others’ cultures would be appreciated.
You may google “Caretos de Podence”. The band is called Karetus, hence the connection.
Have a nice dar

Max
Max
Reply to  Alex

I like Romeu and his serious expressions and his beautiful eyes. It was a really cool combination of elements for me, one where drummers and dancers did not outshine the singer but framed him, very symmetrical. The final moment when Karetus joined Romeu in the box was so captivating to me!

Last edited 9 months ago by Max
Kosey
Kosey

Great performance by Karetus ft. Romeu Barios. Totally engaging throughout, my favourite of the night.

ESC8
ESC8

My favourite of the whole Festival (Claro como agua) didn’t make it so I don’t really care anymore. I think that Karetus probably will win. At least I hope that we will get to hear something local from Portugal in May, not an english language song.

Last edited 9 months ago by ESC8
Lebanese esc fan
Lebanese esc fan
Reply to  ESC8

Carolina is definately the favorite to win. She’s famous in portugal, and her song is the typical sound the country tends to go for in Eurovision.

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier

mema robbed but at least saudade made it.

Tibor

Okay, Portugal, what is going on with these outfits? And what are you doing kicking out mema? And Miguel Marôco? At least Karetus made it to the final. Now I need EU.CLIDES next week. And I need you to publish these songs on iTunes so I can buy them and listen to them elsewhere than on YouTube. Thanks and good night.

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
Reply to  Tibor

I love your taste lmao, mema and Miguel should have qualified and Euclides is my winner.

Reply to  Ashton Schier

What can I say? Sometimes we agree, sometimes we don’t. 🙂

Lebanese esc fan
Lebanese esc fan

So, are we going to adress the fact that “Claro como agua” didn’t make it?

Tibor

Yeah, let’s. Musically, it’s a tragedy, but the song was a lot cooler than the presentation, mema was very stiff and looked intimidated. She’s still a young performer, though, so she will grow into this kind of situations, vocally she was already fine, and that is usually the first thing to bite the dust when singers are nervous. I hope, she’ll continue her collaboration with Stereossauro despite the early elimination, because that seems to be a match made in heaven.

myoozik