Tornike Kipiani You Georgia Eurovision 2021

He brought a mix of classic rock, electro and dubstep in 2020 with “Take Me As I Am”. However, Georgia’s Tornike Kipiani is taking a gentler approach for Eurovision 2021. But what is “You” about?

Scroll down for “You” lyrics

Georgia in Eurovision 2021: Tornike Kipiani “You”

Tornike is a 33-year-old musician and the father of three children. He has a good track record in reality singing competitions, as he also won the 2014 edition of X Factor Georgia. Tornike’s mentor on the show was Cyprus’ Eurovision 2018 star Tamta. Tornike previously tried to represent Georgia at Eurovision in 2017. He competed in the country’s national final with the industrial techno song “You Are My Sunshine”.

He won Georgian Idol in 2019 and would have performed “Take Me As I Am” at Eurovision 2020. However, the contest was later cancelled due to the Covid-19 pandemic. He was internally selected to represent Georgia again at Eurovision 2021.

What do the “You” lyrics mean?

Tornike wrote and composed “You” himself. The Georgian star then arranged the song alongside Aleko Berdzenishvili. In addition to Tornike’s vocals, the recording brings together the voices of the Gori Girls’ Choir, Aleko Berdzenishvili, Marian Shengelia and Mariko Lezhava.

The song is in English and the lyrics discuss the universal topic of love. Musically this plays among the genres of rock, pop-rock and blues-rock.

It’s lyrically sparse, with the original text coming in at just 75 words. But Tornike still finds space to be sensitive and emotional in this touching love song. He compares his love interest to four natural phenomena — the sun, the wind, the ocean and a mountain. All of these can ban be both good and bad. Take the sun, for instance. It brings us light and warmth. But it can also cause drought and destructive fires. And you’ll burn if you fly too close to it or go blind if you look at it directly. Yet, despite the perils, the sun is essential for life. Love is just as multi-faceted.

Tornike’s love is also all-consuming. “You’re everywhere, where I am. You’re in everything, that I do”. But there’s a tenderness too. He’s not possessive. He just wants to be in the company of the one he loves. “My love my love / I wanna be with you”.

Tornike says that “the song is about the love of the world. We are humans and it is a human song. We love being here even though it is very difficult for us to live here.  We love it anyway and we are happy that it gives us a chance to physically touch our love and be together.”

“You” lyrics – Tornike Kipiani (Georgia ESC 2021)

Written and composed by: Tornike Kipiani

Sunshine, I wanna touch you
Wind blow, I wanna see you.
I wanna touch, I wanna see,
I wanna be, with you.

Ocean, I wanna hear you.
Mountain, I wanna feel you.
I wanna hear, I wanna feel,
I wanna be, with you.

You’re everywhere, where I am.
You’re in everything, that I do.
My love, my love,
I wanna be with you.
You uuu aaaaa

My love my love
I wanna be with you.

Do Tornike’s lyrics speak to you? Sound off in the comments below.

Read more Eurovision 2021 lyrics

Thisisntourlastdance
Thisisntourlastdance
1 month ago

What is it about this man that I find so sexy?

1 month ago

i guess it would be better for Georgia to just send the live-on-tape performance, no need to spend thousands of euros to travel to Rotterdam 🙂

shavshti
shavshti
1 month ago

im sorry he cant write lyrics and thats a fact and song sucks too

1 month ago

When I was 11 years old, I wrote a very simple poem about the weather. Surprisingly it won a competition, and it was much-loved. It still holds a special place in my heart after many years. This song’s lyrics very much remind me of that poem I wrote. For some people, this might be a bad thing, but I can’t help but feel touched by it. I suppose it has to be personal to the listener – that’s how this song works.

Reply to  Purple Mask

Were all the other poems in the competition terrible? Because Tornike’s lyrics are bad for a non-native speaker. For a native speaker, they would be intellectual bankruptcy.

1 month ago

As it happens, yes, they weren’t that great. 🙂
Personal memories are what they are though. It was a happy time in my life.

Reply to  Purple Mask

I can see that. Winning makes happy, no matter how bad the competition is.

1 month ago

I like this song and this is it. Words are simple yes but they blend very well with the music.
They convey a safe and warm feeling. It’s solid. It’s safe and reliable.

1 month ago

We might argue whether this song’s lyrics are a bit too simple, but you did a disservice to your argument by phrasing it this way. Kosey has a point here.

6 years, tops.

Kosey
Kosey
1 month ago

At least he got the grammar right, love.

Reply to  Kosey

I am pretty much amazed at the fact that non-sense lyrics made by “award-winners” including at least one with English as mother tongue have been taken up to the blue skies. And these simple lyrics are criticized for being simple albeit meaninful and used correctly.

1 month ago

Honey, please explain to me how you can feel the mountain and see the wind. I can feel the wind, sure. I climbed many mountains, sure, but I won’t feel the mountain until it crashes down on me and I’m buried under it but I don’t think I’d be able to feel anything at that point.

MBV123
MBV123
1 month ago

That’s kind of the whole point… Each of these natural phemomena is associated with a feeling that is impossible to literally apply to them. You can’t touch the sunshine, you can’t see the wind, you can’t feel the mountain, but Tornike wants to do those things. It’s about both the great and more difficult aspects of feeling love, the possible and the impossible. Just stop writing off Tornike’s lyrics as simple and poor. They’re actually very well thought-through, meaningful and cleverly constructed. The only difference with Gjon, Victoria, Barbara, etc. is that he doesn’t try to sell them as anything… Read more »

1 month ago

I could see the wind in a storm and I am not joking. There could have been dust or other particles moved by the current of air but it felt like I saw the wind. A breeze above the ocean is another experience – could have been the the light reflecting from the water. I could feel a mountain as being in awe and awaiting the experience of climbing it. I could feel the majesty of another mountain while driving through a mountain range. My god – that was almost too much to bear. Really amazing. It may just be… Read more »

1 month ago

You should re-write the Georgian lyrics. Seriously, you’ll do better than him.

Fatima
Fatima
1 month ago

Felt the same about Anouk’s “Birds falling down the rooftops”.

Kosey
Kosey
1 month ago

This song and it’s lyrics are simply beautiful. I don’t see it as narrow as a “love interest” (as in a relationship) song. This is about a much broader interest in love. It doesn’t surprise me that he is a father, this speaks about the love one can have for one’s offspring. This speaks about our love for the ones who have left us behind, this speaks about the love for our present, the world and our place within it. This also speaks about the love that it is important to have for ourselves.

Beautiful.

Tulilintu
Tulilintu
Reply to  Kosey

I agree, besides I found so many 70’s rock bands influences in it that is exactly what I like.

Reply to  Kosey

Yes. I agree it’s beautiful.

Eugenie
Eugenie
1 month ago

I like short lyrics. Their minimalism usually makes them mysterious. But it’s not “You”‘s case. Lyrics are just bad, they’re trivial and boring, hollow.

1 month ago

Also: which song is not human? Human as opposed to what? Are “Loco loco”, “Adrenalina”, or even that sugar crap not human? His statement just reassures me of the emptiness I find in these lyrics. Not buying it. Just say “this is all I could write”, I have more respect for honesty. The composition has really nice parts. I am human and I really like the humanity in the composition. It just feels so human to me, as a human.

Last edited 1 month ago by Mr Vanilla Bean
1 month ago

Then you still like most of it. Which one would you like me to bury to compensate?

1 month ago

I already did that with my initial reaction to it. And yes, it would be disheartening to me if this kind of song won Eurovision. On the other hand, I love Destiny and her vocals are superb even in that song, so I can’t exactly bury it. If Natalia sang “Je me casse”, I’m sure I would be able to bury it. Although Natalia is not my problem with “Sugar”.

1 month ago

I mean… It’s in my list of qualifiers but that doesn’t say much as it’s semi 2. I know Norway’s lyrics are also on an elementary school level, but this one just feels empty, like he ran out of words to fill a song for three minutes. The simplicity of ‘Take Me As I Am’ worked way better. I think as an instrumental track, it would be nice, but frankly, I have no desire to re-listen to ‘You’. But maybe the performance will be so great that he’ll make it. There’s not a lot of good competition in this semi.

Malmklang
Malmklang
1 month ago

I’m not that found of the lyrics in “You”. I like the message, I just think they are slightly simple and the “Myyyyy love”-part comes out as quite unoriginal. But I think it’s one of the best song melodically this year and Tornike’s voice and ability to convey is pure class:-)

Alphalpha
Alphalpha
1 month ago

LOVE this song! Understated is not boring. It stands out and I’m Tornike will give an impassioned performance on the night.