Pictures: Arno Mikkor / Myriam Thyes

On Saturday, Malta’s young star Destiny took home a seventh-place finish at Eurovision 2021. While it was Malta’s best result since 2005, the delegation had clearly been aiming for a higher result, with the broadcaster spending months campaigning. Now Maltese government minister Carmelo Abelo has announced that broadcaster TVM‘s Eurovision 2021 budget will undergo an audit. This follows reports in the Maltese media that local broadcaster PBS invested public money on betting agencies.

The Times of Malta reports that an insider flagged Abelo about potential misconduct from Malta’s public broadcaster PBS and its channel TVM. The insider reported that foreign nationals had been given money in exchange to bet on Malta. As a result of this, the insider claims that Malta’s Eurovision 2021 bid rose to the top of the odds. This fact helped to advertise the Maltese entry as the “bookies’ favourite”.

A country’s odds shorten if people bet on its entry. Especially early betters determine much of the premature odds.

Back in April, data from Smarkets revealed that exchanging and trading in Malta’s odds steeply rose shortly before its song reveal. Nonetheless, it should be pointed out that there was also genuine fan excitement around the release of Malta’s song.

Reports suggest that PBS invested in promotional campaigns for Eurovision 2021

However, the Times of Malta reports that PBS did not only try to increase its chances by betting. The newspaper claims that the broadcaster also spent money on sponsored content for social media influencers.

In the lead up to Eurovision, several people noticed that large news sites published paid editorials about Malta’s entry, including LGBT+ news site PinkNews, Romanian newspaper Ziarul Financiar and several other European tabloids. Most of these outlets tagged the articles as “sponsored content”.

Several foreign celebrities also showed support for the entry. For example, German singer Cascada used the Maltese promotional hashtag #destinedforgreatness in an Instagram post, promoting the entry.

The Maltese delegation started an ad promotion campaign on social media which did not go past unnoticed in the Eurovision fan community. In a Twitter ad, it told users to vote for the Maltese entry. This advertisement gave the exact instructions on how to vote on Malta in the native language of the location of the receiver.

Some YouTube users also found they were served Destiny’s entire semi-final performance of “Je me casse” as a pre-roll advertisement.

In 2016, Maltese journalists also called for an investigation after reports surfaced that the budget for Eurovision had been increased multiple times. PBS denied this request then.

Minister Abelo has announced that the audit and investigation will be launched by next Monday.

Read all our Malta Eurovision news here

Max
Max
14 days ago

Malta is a small country. I think, apart from financial services, tourism is a big deal for Malta. And especially during the Corona locdowns it is tough for a lot of businesses in that sector. I think they were trying to win Eurovision in order to boost the tourism businesses. It is essential for their survival to advertise themselves and attract events and travellers.

AllThingsNordic
AllThingsNordic
15 days ago

To me, Je me casse is the best maltese entry ever and one of the best eurovision songs ever, as well. Genuine, fun, original. Destine is talented. I feel bitter from the result but that’s life. The only thing I find frustrating is to spend taxpayers money on betting to shorten the odds and become a favourite. Advertising is ok given it is done in a fair way. But manipulating the odds, it’s unacceptable. Of course, I feel that many many countries have done it so far, and during the previous years, it’s a practice in the market. And it… Read more »

Jar
Jar

If you, can’t, win it

Spend some cash.

*musical breakdown*

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
16 days ago

this is all embarrassing, they really thought people could be brainwashed that easily with fake hype… and all they ended up doing is setting huge expectations on a 18 year old girl and letting her down in the end.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
16 days ago

I bet this audit is only happening now because Malta lost. If Malta had won Eurovision, there would be no need to investigate.

Jamie
Jamie
16 days ago

Some fans are naive as hell. Malta did this for years and y’all still fell for the fake hype.

Hello_123
Hello_123
16 days ago

Destiny is the biggest victim here. For months, if not years, she has been surrounded by people (from the broadcaster, perhaps her label too) that tried everything to make her win. Therefore, anything other than the victory would be a major disappointment. It almost seems of Maltese national interest to do well at ESC, as it is essentially the only global stage on which they can be competative. 7th place is actually not a bad result, many countries would kill for such a ranking. But, again, Destiny is only 18 years old, you can’t blame her for believing in her… Read more »

Eastman
Eastman
Reply to  Hello_123

Whenever her manager makes a statement on the situation it always sounds like he is trying to throw Destiny under the bus. Implying she wasn’t talented enough to win on her own

16 days ago

ESC is many things, but it’s not “X Factor Malta”!

Nicolas
Nicolas
Reply to  Whisker

X-factor Malta 2 was a pure joke. We knew since the very beginning who was going to win.

Reply to  Nicolas

No surprise!

MaltaXebat
MaltaXebat
16 days ago

As a Maltese person i just wanna say that I’m tired of the authorities taking over the song choice process and manipulating it however they want to. It is clear that it has become a matter of sending a singer BECAUSE they’re a good singer, and it all revolves around the singer, not around the song. It should be the other way round. As for funding, first off the authorities should actually spend money on songs that we the Maltese want to represent us, secondly they need to stop over-advertising the song. If a song is good and genuine, it… Read more »

Last edited 16 days ago by MaltaXebat
Jesper Hjellnes
Jesper Hjellnes
16 days ago

After reading this, I feel embarrased of myself since I believed all the way that Je me casse was a strong contender for the victory. And when I was reading comments here on Wiwibloggs and other sites of people saying Je me casse was overrated and got too much hype, I didn’t think much of it since every year there will be people who dislike the winner and that’s just how opinions are. But I feel extremely sad for Destiny though. She is such a talented girl, got a deserved JESC-victory in 2015 and did bring Malta their best result… Read more »

Jesper Hjellnes
Jesper Hjellnes
16 days ago

I probably should have specified that I did feel sad for Destiny because she is now in all of this messy situation that the Maltese team has caused 😉

Bella
Bella
16 days ago

I don’t really see anything wrong with promoting your entry on social media (as long as you respect your taxpayer-funded budget of course). On the other hand, paying people to bet is clearly deceptive…

Gigliolalovelygirl
Gigliolalovelygirl
16 days ago

If u want to WIN Eurovision, you have to do it the authentic way. If u look at the winners of the past 65 years, they were all unique and true to themselves. Maneskin tried to be no one else but themselves, with a genre that rarely does well in Eurovison. Italy always sent very authentic entries from Domenico Modungo to Il Volo always very unique acts! Malta is not really a trendsetter in Eurovision. They are more trend followers, their song this year was clearly very inspired by toy from netta, which won a few years ago, and frankly… Read more »

Last edited 16 days ago by Gigliolalovelygirl
Jose Uribe
Jose Uribe

Not 2011 lol

Gigliolalovelygirl
Gigliolalovelygirl
Reply to  Jose Uribe

Well there were some odd winners, but 2011 was the most open year ever! Literally any country could’ve won that year!

Gurlblossum
Gurlblossum
16 days ago

This blows my freaking mind. Like If they did this In the Netherlands people would lose their freaking mind over It. Especially with the corona situation In this country, how are the Maltese people reacting ?????

ESCJudge
ESCJudge
16 days ago

When I wrote about blowing Malteese bubble before contest I got many dislikes and comments… now when the bubble burst in the final (ofc!) and more cringy facts are coming out I wonder where are all those bubble-blowers now? Wiwibloggs? How much did Malta pay you in this process? #shamefull

lol
lol
Reply to  ESCJudge

they didn’t pay wiwibloogs, its only natural to write many posts about the odds favorite (even if they were manipulated) many posts were written about Duncan in 2019 and Netta in 2018. there are many esc blogs if you have such a problem with this one

Hélène
Hélène
Reply to  lol

But wiwibloggs are not obliged to go into the trap. I am a little bit confused by Wiwibloggs sometimes. I would like some more analytical articles about the competition once in a while. It is so interesting and full of stories. But they just go for the superficial. I like the glam and fun but would prefer a little bit more real journalism from time to time.

lol
lol
Reply to  Hélène

yes they are not obliged but it’s bound to happen if you are one of the artists receiving the most attention and at the top of the odds people will want to hear about it. articles featuring destiny would get more clicks and traction than say an article about Tornike or Ana Soklic even if its not fair to those artists. I do agree tho, some more articles about the actual competition would be great

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  Hélène

Thanks for your suggestion! Now that Eurovision 2021 is over, this is the season where we have time to take a breath and get into those analytical posts. We’ve just published on one the UK results. 🙂

Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina
Reply to  lol

it did turn out they paid websites and social media influencers to spam their entry…

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  lol

Yep, that’s all it is. If it seemed like we were writing quite a bit about Malta, it’s because it was top of the odds for a while and it won the OGAE poll, things like that. As I’ve said before, this didn’t necessarily do Malta any favourites. If you look at the comments under many of those posts, a lot of regular readers were rolling their eyes, getting sick of it all, lol! We’re also conscious that every season, some acts tends demand attention more than others. That’s why we make the effort to cover all acts with our… Read more »

Giolo
Giolo
16 days ago

Honestly, I could not care less about this monet controversy. Promotion can’t buy victory, unless you’re already a contender to win. Yes, it was annoying to receive ads everywhere but this is not Destiny’s fault. I really did not want Je Me Casse to win, for the future of the contest, I want to stop the Swedish-ization here, even though I enjoy Swedish entry most kf the times, but I am a bit tired of countries who don’t select local talent (Cyprus and Malta, I am looking at you). I feel really sad for Destiny, people really deceived and she… Read more »

Last edited 16 days ago by Giolo
16 days ago

The key to eurovision success is standing out on that saturday night,to suprise the audience,it can be as flamboyant as Italy 2021 or as subtle as portugal 2017.
countrys need to constantly re invent there entrys to find that golden opportunity that may only occur once every twenty years.copys of previous winners as in netta or fuego 2.0 doesnt work its been done the surprise is gone. ott gimmicks or hyped up internal selections can often dissapoint. surprise your audience give them something new and diffrent topped up with an outstanding performance,thats the real chance for eurovision nothing else

Gigliolalovelygirl
Gigliolalovelygirl
Reply to  paul

I did not read your comment yet when I posted mine, but I couldn’t agree more!!! Great minds think alike!

no problem we agree!!

Pip
Pip
16 days ago

In a normal year, a lot of the budget I imagine goes on touring at pre-parties (so Eurovision In Concert, Madrid, London, Latvia, Israel Calling and Moscow). So I guess some of the money funding virtual ads came from that.

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Pip

Hopefully then it’s just a problem this year.

Valentino
Valentino
16 days ago

So what happened during Eurovision week? Is it because there were many genuine bets that Malta fell a bit in the odds?

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  Valentino

A friend told me that it’s a mix of the rehearsals giving people a true idea of what the performances will be like, and more bettors coming on board, especially casuals who haven’t been following the hype and just bet on what they see in the TV shows.

Nate
Nate
16 days ago

What is clear is that the jury system needs a change. We’ve seen it multiple times with Malta (remembering Ira Losco and the huge difference between jury and televote) and now Destiny, but it’s not the first time we have a heavily influenced jury, apart from the well-known issue with the exchange of points and the deliberate nul points given to favorites from other favorites (like the French jury)

Serge
Serge
Reply to  Nate

Ira is great. Been to Malta to her concert. She beats a lot of other local artists definitely, she was rocking! And her latest album is very very decent and if you think about what is Malta then it’s a jewel ?:)

Samo
Samo
15 days ago
Reply to  Nate

I agree to a certain extent but at the same time, isn’t disparity between juries and televoting desirable? I mean, if jury votes matched televoting, there would be no point in having them. Juries are meant to judge different things than the average viewer does, thus producing a different result, it’s the basic idea of the split voting.

L'oiseau
L'oiseau
16 days ago

This is not new. Malta followed the exact same strategy than Israel in 2018. The problem is that the song was much worse and it was a much better year musically. The seventh place is well deserved, not because of the song, which is mediocre, but because of Destiny’s performance, which was stellar (Although, in the semi better than in final, I think). She can be proud of herself and now concentrate on how she wants her career to develop.

Rob
Rob
16 days ago

The amount of sponsored ads for Malta on Twitter was insane last week, it is the worst way of trying to get votes because it turns people off. All things considered, I really feel sorry for Destiny because she didn’t deserve this much on her plate, she just needed a team who could trust her with delivering the song and that’s it, publicity shouldn’t be her thing to deal with. About the running order, I think Malta would have gotten more points if placed later, but not that many points, and we have to consider that the jury vote was… Read more »

Reply to  Rob

I am very curious to know about how much money the whole Eurovision spiel cost for Malta (no matter the sources of monies or what it was spent for). Just one figure.

jack
jack
16 days ago

You can tell by Destiny’s face in the green room that she was chosen and trained to go there and only win. They built a hype around her, they put adds from Sweden to Greece about it, they built this narrative of female empowerment like Netta, they spent 100.000 for every minute of her perfomance only to score 47 points. I only feel sad about Destiny cause she is a young girl and a victim of a desperate broadcaster. Ira Losco in 2016 had the same hype around her but she was smart enough to realize that the hype was… Read more »

La Signora
La Signora
16 days ago

And they’ve lost, nevertheless…

Valentino
Valentino
Reply to  La Signora

Worse. They are not even in the top5!

ag89
ag89
16 days ago

I have no issues with promotion or with how public vote. Public is brutal and straight forward about the acts they like or dislike (as we saw this year), but my concern is the juries and I believe Malta (and potentially a few other countries) have been playing this dirty game for a while. Please, remember 2016… I am absolutely sure Malta did some underground action that year with the juries. They won semi and came top 5 in the final. They got 12 pts from Montenegro, I mean, c’mon. I am trying to say it’s s hard to manipulate… Read more »

Reply to  ag89

I think a step in the right direction would be to request from each country 5 new jury members EVERY year, whose identity would be known only to the EBU, until after the final.

Reply to  Eyal

From what I understand the identities of jury members were kept secret until the night of the gran final (Saturday). Juries voted on Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Yet “barter” points and “strange” points happened the same as usual if not even more “obvious” than other times. Case in point IMO the 12 points barter from semi1 between a pretty sure NQ and a very sure Q.

16 days ago

Yes, but the key difference is that what I suggest is a complete new set of jury members every year. What happens today is that among those “anonymous” jury members there are so many that are there every year, so it’s simply not anonymous anymore, and the way from there to corruption is short.

Reply to  Eyal

I thought that jury members change year to year. I do not remember though anything from EBU on the jury members other than their identities were to be secret.

Omg enough with the spiels.

Kim
Kim
16 days ago

I think a good idea would have at least 12 anonymous jury members but only the results of 5 or 6 randomly picked jurors leaving the other votes available for view but not for use on the competition. That why the likelihood of 12 jurors marking a country first/last would decrease and having selected jurors dropped from the end process would banish bribes etc as their vote may not be used.

Reply to  Kim

I see but how can broadcasters make sure that the selected jurors are picked “randomly”? That method would leave things to the chance. Any broadcaster discontent with their results would be up in arms claiming god knows what. I think the solution would be to increase the number of jurors to at least 10 for one year and then re-assess the situation. It would be much easier to spot patterns of voting when you have 10 instead of 5. Having said that, I maintain that the “problem” with *some countries* at any given year is the broadcasters’ approach, not necessarily… Read more »

Alo
Alo
Reply to  Eyal

There is a rule that a jury member can’t come back I think after 3 or 2 years from his last time.
But anyway, many changes are needed to prevent any corruption

Julie
Julie
16 days ago

Whoever thought this was a good idea was being delisional imo. These things have a way of coming into the clear and in the end it only put more pressure on Destiny and made her feel bad about her 7th place which is actually quite high considering we had 39 participants

Kredential
Kredential
16 days ago

Why would you pay to improve your odds? When rehearsal week comes around you see some songs become favourites out of nowhere, if Malta was the winning song they thought it would be then they shouldn’t have worried about the odds, which don’t really mean anything until around this time anyway.

Reply to  Kredential

Because the odds affect the juries. That’s why.
Hadn’t it been for the odds, Malta wouldn’t have been 3rd with the juries.

Last edited 16 days ago by Eyal
Reply to  Eyal

So can’t “professional juries” analyse for themselves but vote depending on the “odds”?? Then the whole jury system must be changed.

Valentino
Valentino
Reply to  Eyal

And how exactly? N. Macedonia in 2019 and Austria in 2018 were low in the odds, but still they smashed the jury vote!

GojoSatoru
GojoSatoru
Reply to  Valentino

Exactly. People, who think juries vote based of the odds, are delusional.

Reply to  GojoSatoru

I did not say the jury votes were based on the odds. I said they were AFFECTED by them. There is a big difference.

Reply to  Eyal

Yup , what you mean is if there is an odds on favourite I’ll not want to place it 25th even if it’s my least favourite. I’d place my favourites at top but get “affected” by the hype to place this odds favourite 14th instead of 25th .

16 days ago

“local broadcaster PBS invested public money on betting agencies.”
This is so pathetic.

Denis
Denis
16 days ago

The issue isnt the song, its a pretty good song. Its the fact that Malta aggresively promoted it as a winner, sort of not trusting the audience and voters to decide. Similar to how Netflix aggresively promotes their movies during award season, voters get fed up with it

Rosy B
Rosy B
16 days ago

I never bought the hype. I always said that she was struggling to make a mediocre song sound good. Then all the hype followed to convince people into believing it was a big favourite, when in reality it was just another song in the competition with an average chance. The constant “pushing” by some influencers did not pay off either, because most people have brains and they can also use it. I do pity Destiny because she deserved much better than to be treated in such a way, even though watching her expression on the night was rather shocking. It… Read more »

Reply to  Rosy B

you called it perfectly “what is happening im supposed to win” well said

Indiana07
Indiana07
17 days ago

I think, Bulgaria manipulated with the odds too, otherwise it would have not been a televote flop, it only got points from countries with huge Bulgaria diaspora, like the UK, Spain etc.

Samo
Samo
Reply to  Indiana07

I would say Bulgaria’s odds may have been hyped because of how good the last year’s entry was. Growing Up Is Getting Old was not very catchy, hence why it only did well with juries, but I think Tears Getting Sober would achieve a much better result.

Reply to  Samo

agree growing up….was a poor sequel to tears getting sober,which I think would have been at least top 5

ali
ali
Reply to  Samo

plus growing up is getting old also did quite well in the televote in the first semi.. (probably flopped in the final cos of running order and France and Italy getting a lot of points)

raylee
raylee
Reply to  Indiana07

Not true because Bulgaria dropped in the odds very quickly before eurovision week.The reason to being high was last year’s entry because the hype was still active

Samo
Samo
17 days ago

Lesson to learn: You can’t buy your result (the last time it worked was in 2011). Malta failed and so did San Marino which tried a different, less controversial strategy but ultimately with the same idea – if we throw money at it, we will do well (or even win). All you need is authenticity and a good song. That’s “the formula”. I’m getting increasingly annoyed with how betting odds seem to affect juries (although I admit Maltese performance had its qualities – still, I don’t think it would do this well organically) but I guess there is nothing that… Read more »

Marino K
Marino K
Reply to  Samo

Agree. And the same could be said about Wiwibloggs. They are part of this scheme too…cause it was obvious that the Maltese previewed to Wiwibloggs their entry and then they ran an article and video all hyping it up. Whether they received money for it, I guess the audit will reveal. I just hope that Wiwibloggs then reports on it fairly. Such a shame for William and the gang but I have been saying this for a long time that bloggers are becoming part of the problem ….

Last edited 16 days ago by Marino K
Branko86
Branko86
Reply to  Marino K

Same opinion, but I doubt they would be honest enough to say: Yes, we received money and how much it was.

Ksenija
Ksenija
15 days ago
Reply to  Marino K

i commented on youtube that bloggers and sites were paid to hype up malta and they deleted my comment. that says a lots.

17 days ago

I think destiny had that over confidence that verges on arrogance.”get out of my way I am here to win this” much preferred stefania from Greece,a much more modest and equally talented young singer

Roodi
Roodi
Reply to  paul

Destiny is not arrogant she was disappointed with her result that is normal

Andy
Andy
Reply to  Roodi

Her face said it all during the results. She was third !! in juries and still her face was sour as a grape. Even though she could still win it at that point.

Samo
Samo
Reply to  Andy

I guess she knew at that point that she will do better with juries than televoting, given how disasterous the reactions to the staging were. Thus she knew that not doing too well with juries meant she will not win.

But yeah, the way she was sad about finishing third with juries while other enjoyed even being in top 15 says a lot about attitude of the Maltese delegation. Same goes for Switzerland by the way (although I have to admit thar looking at SJB’s facial expressions during the voting made my smile a bit).

GojoSatoru
GojoSatoru
Reply to  Samo

Who in the Swiss delegation had a bad attitude then? Gjon and Wouter Hardy were as normal as other participants.

deni_Al
deni_Al
Reply to  Andy

Yes, look at her face when Ukraine received 267 points. It was like “Are you kidding me?”. I think she was told by “her” team that she is the winner…

Reply to  Roodi

I’m sorry, but she came across as arrogant and unauthentic. You need to really be biased not to see it. People intuitively sensed it.

Roodi
Roodi
Reply to  Eyal

oh of course a Black woman with confidence is arrogant. racist

Sot
Sot
Reply to  Roodi

HER RACE HAS NO CONNECTION WITH HER ATTITUDE, please stop using it as an excuse

Reply to  Roodi

For a moment I thought you didn’t even deserve a response for this inexcusable, shocking comment. Yet, for the sake of real victims of racism, I must write back. If someone here is a racist, it’s not me. The fact that you see Destiny through the race glasses, and interprets everything accordingly, shows you are the one obsessed with race. Not me. I didn’t even think about her skin color. A black woman, as you defined Destiny, can come across as arrogant, just like any other human being. The fact that you immediately attributes this to racism is a shame,… Read more »

Reply to  Eyal

so true but you shouldnt even have responded.I was tempted to but better to ignore someone like that and let them reflect on there isolation

Jamie
Jamie
Reply to  Roodi

Literally did not even notice that she’s black lol

keith mawson
keith mawson
12 days ago
Reply to  Roodi

seriously? give your head a wobble.

Carl
Carl
Reply to  paul

The song was meant to be performed that way. She wasn’t being arrogant, she had confidence and sass.

The issue here is with the Maltese delegation and although legal (I think), it’s pathetic and unfair. It created false hype to the Maltese public and Destiny herself and ultimately were left highly disappointed.

Last edited 17 days ago by Carl
Sot
Sot
15 days ago
Reply to  Carl

We’re not talking about her performance, just see how James reacted to his televote result and then look at Destiny… I wouldn’t even wanna see how she would react to 0 points jeez

Bart Remmers
Bart Remmers
17 days ago

Overhyped mediocre song for weeks and weeks #1 in the odds. There was something fishey going on. And was this blog payed by the Maltese for overhyping? (OK, Joke. Or not a joke?) But we are not sure yet. If so, it’s bye bye for Malta. At least one year. Cheating is a no-go.

Roodi
Roodi
Reply to  Bart Remmers

Yes the Maltese broadcaster showed to Wiwibloggs the demo of Malta ESC 2021 song Wiwibloggs reacted to it.Search on YouTube We preview Malta ESC 2021 song.So yes this blog was also payed by Maltese broadcaster

Samo
Samo
Reply to  Roodi

Releasing a demo to someone doesn’t mean paying them, although I have a bit of an issue with that because very few journalists can retain their impartiality towards someone who gives them preferential access. After all, you don’t want to lose that in future.

I can’t imagine Wiwibloggs getting an early access to a song and then tell it sucks (if it sucked, which was not this case).

Last edited 17 days ago by Samo
Roodi
Roodi
Reply to  Samo

Wiwibloggs talked very positive over the demo that create hype

Reply to  Bart Remmers

Agreed. If you wanna win, do it like a pro, not like a smuggler.

17 days ago

To be honest a lot of the eurovision fan base considered this song to be over hype and definately not a winner. I was convinced it couldnt be beat,and not because I thought it deserved to win. Even destiny I think thought she merely had to show up for the trophy as could be seen by the dissapointment on her face throughout the voting. once again we have been shown there is no such thing as guaranteed winners,its what gets the attention on the night,end of. look at Italy second last time and now the winner,dont forget there song is… Read more »

Not Vanilla
Not Vanilla
17 days ago

There need to be some strict EBU rules about manipulation of odds, youtube views, spotify charts. Then there’s also paying bloggers, vloggers, influencers and social media bots which can’t be controlled. The best EBU could do is regulate a budget cap for broadcasters including private donations and sponsorships. If some broadcasters want to limit their stage show for more media promotion that’s their choice. Overall we need more transparency.

Jake
Jake
17 days ago

I never bought the hype for Je Me Casse (although appreciate it and have liked it on Spotify) and I don’t find anything wrong with a delegation marketing a song. Where this gets dicey for me is if they paid foreigners to place bets to inflate betting odds. Mostly because it creates a sense of false positive and ultimately backfires like it did and poor Destiny becomes delusional she is going to do better than she might. So while the juries can buy into the hype because they are more likely to follow Eurovision news and be a bit more… Read more »

Reply to  Jake

I agree, I feel jurys had a pre contest mindset that this was one of the potential winners and almost felt an obligation to be nice to Malta

Melania
Melania
Reply to  paul

tbf tho this was always going to do well with Jurirs. It’s a radio friendly song, it has power vocals and it’s Malta.

GUEST
GUEST
17 days ago

As a Maltese I feel bad that something like this happened, it gave us high hopes, and more importantly did so to the singer, poor Destiny. Having said that, we did win the semi final and came second with the public. Why did the EBU place us in sixth position? Was that fair? No one is disputing the truthfulness of the allegations, but one has to also see if there is in fact a hidden agenda, like that to bring back MESC. I hope a new system of selecting the song will arise but MESC was a very flawed method… Read more »

ESC Stan
ESC Stan
Reply to  GUEST

I agree that its a flawed way of allocating spots, but the only agenda i see is that someone has to go there and given the mix of the first half, Malta fit there best.

ag89
ag89
Reply to  GUEST

You don’t need running order to win. Malta wouldn’t have won even if it performed in second half next to the end of the show.

Marino K
Marino K
Reply to  GUEST

Running order had nothing to do with the result of the televote. In the grand final destiny’s performance felt unoriginal – plus the two huge favorites (Italy and France who didn’t partake in the semis) took many votes in the final that went to other countries in the semi.

GUEST
GUEST
Reply to  Marino K

It still should have been given a better draw… It won its semi.

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Tulilintu

I don’t really know Italian, but based on the cognant words, They clearly didn’t like the band.

Giolo
Giolo
Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

I tried to send you a translation, but the message is waiting for approval, maybe wait for some hours

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Giolo

That’s OK. I ran through Google translate anyway and yikes. I don’t think Belarus should be coming back next year or for a long time

Reply to  Tulilintu

A little Google Translate tells me the EBU made the right decision giving Belarus the boot bc Jesus Christ the way they talk over there on state television is horrific.

Jamie
Jamie
Reply to  Tulilintu

Modern day nazis gave their opinion… who cares. Belarus is doomed anyways.

Sot
Sot
17 days ago

I have to say, a reason why I haven’t moved away from wiwibloggs all this time is because they seriously listen to us in the comments; we ask for an article about the scandal, they give us the article about the scandal… Well played!

Oh, and I read somewhere that the EBU still tries to confirm the rumour that many votes from the televote were not counted..! Could that mean that James could get at least ONE point because I have been thinking about this embarrassing moment since the grand final…

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  Sot

We’ll be publishing an article soon taking an in-depth look into the UK’s points — and why the situation is not entirely as bad as it might seem at first glance! 🙂

Alo
Alo
Reply to  Sot

James won’t get one point as he was almost always bottom 3 with televotes. The only big 5 that did quite well in the televoting without getting to top 10 is Germany.

Yeah yeah fire
Yeah yeah fire
17 days ago

I’d say the constant pushing has been rather counterproductive and annoying in the end. I started seeing ads ever since the song came out and soon after it was already 1st in the betting odds. Back in march I jokingly said their delegation had something to do with it because they really seemed eager to win….oh well I noticed how the fake hype was working in a way, because she did gain a lot of fans, so I would say at some points the betting odds do influence public opinion – up until the moment they actually see the performances… Read more »

Last edited 17 days ago by Yeah yeah fire
Chris
Chris
17 days ago

Also Twitter thousands of popup ads about voting destiny.

Nicolas
Nicolas
17 days ago

Also why Ira Losco and Michela were on the Malta’s jury this year when they are both close friends of Destiny ? I thought that a juror must have no connection with any participant to be so.
Ira Losco is the one who has chosen Destiny for the X-factor finals. Michela ranked Switzerland at the last place 25th I just saw on the detail results, oooch…. How professional is this.

Yeah yeah fire
Yeah yeah fire
Reply to  Nicolas

Yes and they also gave their 12 points to Albania. Something that couldn’t compromise their win. Destiny couldn’t even point out who she would give her 12p to apart from herself in an interview which she was probably told to say big yikes

Last edited 17 days ago by Yeah yeah fire
Reply to  Yeah yeah fire

Talking about the LookLab interview? Painful to hear her at the end. All other entries gave either 12 points or 12, 10 or 8 including reasons for their choice.

*So much about empowered girls*.

Micky
Micky
16 days ago

Nikkie pushed EVERYONE to give an answer, except: …. Destiny!
(It’s the only LookLab interview I wouldn’t watch again, I like and respect Nikkie a lot)

17 days ago

The investigation will tell if something illegal (or at least shady) happened, but in any case It’s good that their aggressive strategy hasn’t worked, otherwise we could see other countries using the same weapons and we would end up having a dispute between sponsored content and not songs. If they got to the point of manipulating odds, it screams desperation. The irony is that in terms of televote it may actually worked against Malta. After all, when we listen to “the bookies’ favorite” we tend to me more demanding.

Who am I?
Who am I?
17 days ago

I just feel very sorry for Destiny because she didn’t get to enjoy the moment because the broadcaster put so much pressure on her. It’s such a shame… look at stefania she is 18 like destiny but stefania actually got to enjoy the moment. The Greek broadcaster wanted her to be happy. On the other hand the Maltese broadcaster really stressed Destiny

Last edited 17 days ago by Who am I?
Reply to  Who am I?

Stefania was in her own hands. She and her team were doing her PR.

The Maltese broadcaster took control over destiny. They probably even told her how to respond to questions , etc. They wear shoving things down our throats and we are not even in Malta. Imagine destiny’s situation. She can’t even say all this in public if she wanted to cause Eurovision is her dream and her dream is in TVM’s hand.

Last edited 17 days ago by Kristian
Robyn Gallagher
Admin
17 days ago

I just want to note that “Je me casse” is currently No.13 on Spotify’s Viral 50 chart, with only 8 other Eurovision songs ahead of it. Spotify charts are notoriously difficult to manipulate, so this does seem like a sign that the song is genuinely popular – though perhaps not as popular as one might have expected, say, two weeks say. 🙂

Erik
Erik
17 days ago

The viral charts can be manipulated more easily than the most streamed charts. If you share the song on social media where there will be people listening to the song you will create a buzz that is needed. If the song is on people’s lips, it will be shown. The most streamed charts shows what people like while the viral charts show what people talk about.

16 days ago

I’m sorry Robyn, but if Wiwibloggs got money to promote Malta, you all should come clean ASAP.

If you didn’t, please make it clear for us all to see.

I think we, as loyal readers, deserve to know what we support here.

Those attempts of yours to show that Malta is really really really popular in the real not manipulable objective world are not doing you any good.

17 days ago

Well, this is rather “meta” – Wiwibloggs posting an article about Malta’s abundance of sponsored advertising, which it appeared this blog was doing for some of this season anyhow.
If it was taxpayers’ money spent then of course the investigation should be welcomed. However, I don’t see the problem in getting some private sponsorship or even free promoting where it’s around. It just depends whose money it is.

Last edited 17 days ago by Purple Mask
Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Purple Mask

Up next in breaking news…
Purple Mask accused of liking Eurovision and encouraging friends to watch it!

Reply to  Jimmy Smit

LOL, that’s old news. I have many times encouraged people to watch Eurovision. Some people are just really set in their ways. 🙂

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Purple Mask

We can but try 🙂

James
James
Reply to  Purple Mask

I think the issue was more on artificially inflating betting odds to create a fall sense of hype using taxpayers’ money.

With that said, as someone who’s not from Europe, the thought of feeling ever so slightly excited by who gambling bookkeepers say may win is just weird.

Makes for a good episode of My Crazy Obsession on TLC in the States.

Last edited 17 days ago by James
Eastman
Eastman
Reply to  James

If blogs are going to write about betting odds regardless, then if a delegation artificially inflates the odds then they will get the headlines they are after without having to do anything more. Russia was said to do similar with odds in 2016.

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  Purple Mask

No. Like I said below, we did not post sponsored posts (paid or unpaid) for any delegation. The UK has very strict laws that require such posts to be clearly labelled so it should be obvious that we didn’t post any – just the usual coverage that we do every year. 🙂

Hélène
Hélène
17 days ago

During the voting of the semi final I was on this site and there was a banner that promted me to vote on Destiny. I wonder how that happend?

Jake
Jake
Reply to  Hélène

In fairness to wiwibloggs—that was probably a programmatic ad. Wiwi likely sells ad space through a vendor and Malta likely bought programmatic ads reaching people who have searched or consumed Eurovision media—so if you get hit with ads for Malta their ad buying works. Wiwi has no control of what ads gets placed on a network that happens to hit you unless they are buying specifically through Wiwi which is doubt they have that infrastructure in place. Simple digital marketing. Ads for Malta voting do not reach people who have no interest in Eurovision.

Hélène
Hélène
Reply to  Jake

Yes if that is the case they need to take control of that. It was extremely annoying and it made me stop going here. They loose credibility. I just came back to see if this question would be addressed here. I am glad they did. But still the trust is broken.

James
James
Reply to  Hélène

It largely depends on the location where you are accessing Wiwibloggs from, which the website doesn’t necessarily have control of what appears there. I live outside Europe so the ads I’m getting are localized based on my IP addresses’ location.

Try clearing out cookies from your browser.

16 days ago

Thanks Robyn. That’s interesting, and is perhaps worth looking at again for the future. It’s probably just the result of our perception of the blog rather than what is actually put into it. Also, there is the separate question of the advertising banner, which Hélène has already pointed out below. Cheers, and have a good off-season. 🙂

17 days ago

Also , wiwibloggs can you give me closure ? Were you guys somehow tried to be manipulated by The broadcaster cause to me as an unbiased observer it sure seemed so !

Also , I’ve already mentioned it’s perfectly fine to get paid for work. It would just be more worthwhile if a paid article mentioned that this article are not just the personal views of the author but also have inputs of who paid for it.

Last edited 17 days ago by Kristian
Robyn Gallagher
Admin
Reply to  Kristian

Nope, this didn’t happen. Like I said in an earlier comment, the UK has very strict rules around sponsored content being clearly labelled as such. If we had run such a post for any delegation (which we haven’t, ever) it would have been obviously labelled. We ran posts about the betting odds, which we do every year regardless of who is on top. But we also ran posts that were critical of Malta, such as this one:

17 days ago

Thanks for clarifying Robyn. I would ofcourse chose to believe you guys over a random person I don’t even know the name off. I just wanted for you guys to be cautious. Every article you put out has your entire reputation at stake.

Last edited 17 days ago by Kristian
Roodi
Roodi
17 days ago

Liar the Maltese broadcaster showed the demo to Wiwibloggs Deban and William reacted to it.Reaction video is on YouTube search on YouTube We preview Malta ESC 2021 song.So yes Wiwibloggs was paid to promote Malta.

James
James
Reply to  Kristian

Robyn explained below that there are regulations with regards to publishing sponsored content in the UK, which Wiwibloggs is based. For one thing, it has to elt its readers known if an article is sponsored. 🙂

17 days ago

This is not news to me. I had been telling this via statistics and analyzing the weird pattern of betting on Malta , and users like “not mentioning names but they know who they are ” went on a let’s call everyone a hater cause they are questioning Malta , even calling disliking “bookies favourite” a sign that we ain’t got taste. I do sure think Maltese broadcaster should be penalized if the allegations are proven to be true. I also hope Destiny gets some closure and justice because she got a lot of negativity because of Maltese broadcaster’s fraudulent… Read more »

Darren
Reply to  Kristian

I know the user you mean, haven’t you noticed they are not seen since Saturday!? Happens every year, we get aggressive Malta stans on here attacking anyone who doesn’t like the Maltese entry, now I know why.

Reply to  Darren

Ooo, interesting. 🙂

Reply to  Darren

Yeah .
People are entitled to an opinion. I can love the entry which finished last and hate the entry with finished first . It’s entirely my choice and feeling to agree with odds or the results. And I hope even those people were being paid by the broadcaster to attack cause if those people did it out of free will , then it’s a sad life for them..

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
Reply to  Kristian

ok but most of y’all on this website were being near-aggressive to Malta’s song and anyone who liked it, and those comments would always have so many upvotes. I literally didnt want to say that I didnt mind the song because I knew I would be instantly attacked. bit of a double standard here huh

Reply to  Ashton Schier

My comment goes both ways . I can like the song which finished 39th. So you are ofcourse entitled to like a song which finished 38th or 7th !! The point is it’s not right to undermine someone else’s opinion . That said me saying I don’t agree with you , I think you are heading for disappointment , your favourite is going to flop and come last are all valid things to say. But I shouldn’t be making comments on you is what I mean. Don’t make personal attacks , calling people racist , sexist etc. for not liking… Read more »

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
Reply to  Kristian

oh yeah I completely agree with that. I was more talking about the people who were saying malta is trash, and a copycat, and anyone who liked it had no taste, and it was ‘malta being overhyped again’ (even tho malta is almost never overhyped, except perhaps 2019 and 2016, though imo both of those were deserved)

Sot
Sot
Reply to  Ashton Schier

Malta was also overhyped in 2009, 2012 and 2013 (Gianluca was cute but not top10 material) and overrated by the juries multiple more times but that’s not a point you can use about a song

Ashton Schier
Ashton Schier
Reply to  Ashton Schier

do you see how I’m downvoted here for literally just asking people to respect the fact that people actually might enjoy Malta’s song

Sot
Sot
Reply to  Kristian

As a ‘Je Me Casse’ disliker, the problem was not the people that liked Malta, there are good people out there who said “Yeah, ok, I guess the song is decent so let’s vote for it” but those toxic children in this website that said “OOH SWITZERLAND IS ARCADE 2.0, FRANCE IS BORING, ITALY IS TOO FREAKY AND THEY DID CRACK, ICELAND IS CHILDISH, ONLY MALTA FOR THE WIN” are the real reason why you can’t state your opinion about Eurovision songs anymore

Vale
Vale
Reply to  Sot

I agree. I read some many nasty comments from Malta fans. Were they paid too?

Reply to  Vale

I think it’s possible.

Darren
17 days ago

So I’m guessing the likes of Doris who kept saying that they were buying YouTube views was probably right all along? Lol

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Darren

Doris was our Cassandra all along.

Darren
Reply to  Jimmy Smit

Haha that tickled me

Jimmy Smit
Jimmy Smit
Reply to  Darren

I’m getting good at tickling you!

Last edited 17 days ago by Jimmy Smit
Darren
Reply to  Jimmy Smit

It would appear so 😉 kudos

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
17 days ago

Could this Just put Malta in such trouble that they might be barred from participate next year? It’s a terrible thought, I know, but you never know.

Darren
Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

I think it’s more of a domestic, Maltese issue rather than an EBU issue. I don’t think the EBU has rules barring a country promoting itself in other countries . I could be wrong but I don’t think so,
I think the issue is between the Maltese government and their broadcaster/delegation. They won’t miss an opportunity to to Eurovision, but it’ll probably be on a reduced budget.

Last edited 17 days ago by Darren