Thirty-three acts sang in the Eurovision 2021 semi-finals, but only twenty could make it through. And of the 13 acts left behind, fans found plenty to love, from a woman walking on a treadmill (Ireland) to two songs called “Amen” (Austria and Slovenia).
Last week we asked you to let us know which of the Eurovision 2021 non-qualifiers you most wanted to see in the final. After counting a total of 10,007 votes we can now reveal that Croatia’s Albina has won the day with her song “Tick-Tock”. She earned an impressive 2,631 votes — or more than 26% of all those cast. It makes sense. She finished 11th in the very competitive Semi-Final 1, narrowly missing out on the grand final.
View this post on Instagram
Croatia’s Albina: Best non-qualifier of Eurovision 2021
The Split-born star did something daring: She never set foot on the main stage! Instead, Albina — dressed as some kind of futuristic space-age superhero — performed on a platform just in front of the stage alongside her male dance group.
One highlight of the performance came when she duplicated herself in hologram form, giving us five Albinas to feast our eyes on. At one point her dancers lifted her to the sky and she sang while elevated and parallel with the floor. That she was able to hold her voice suggests she has a very strong diaphragm.
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Denmark’s Fyr og Flamme — who placed 11th in Semi-Final 2 — placed second here. They earned 1,327 votes, or around 13% of all those cast.
Favourite non-qualifiers of Eurovision 2021
- Croatia: Albina “Tick-Tock” 26.29% (2,631 votes)
- Denmark: Fyr & Flamme “Øve os på hinanden” 13.26% (1,327 votes)
- Romania: Roxen – “Amnesia” 13.01% (1,302 votes)
- Australia: Montaigne – “Technicolour” 10.01% (1,002 votes)
- Ireland: Lesley Roy – “Maps” 9.34% (935 votes)
- Austria: Vincent Bueno “Amen” 6.59% (659 votes)
- Latvia: Samanta Tīna “The Moon Is Rising” 4.86% (486 votes)
- Czech Republic: Benny Cristo “Omaga” 4.38% (438 votes)
- Slovenia: Ana Soklic – “Amen” 4.03% (403 votes)
- Estonia: Uku Suviste “The Lucky One” 3.24% (324 votes)
- North Macedonia: Vasil – “Here I Stand” 1.82% (182 votes)
- Poland: Rafał “The Ride” 1.81% (181 votes)
- Georgia: Tornike Kipiani “You” 1.37% (137 votes)
Total Votes: 10,007
Where did your favourite non-qualifier finish in our poll? And who do you want to see make a comeback so they can get to the grand final? Let us know in the comments box below!
Photo: EBU / Thomas Hanses