Eurovision 2021 confirmed acts

On 18 March, the EBU broke the sad but inevitable news that Eurovision 2020 is cancelled due to the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic.

Almost immediately, fans began to wonder whether broadcasters would give their acts a second chance and select them again for 2021. So far, ten countries have done just that.

Eurovision 2021 confirmed acts

This post is no longer being updated. Find the most up to date list of confirmations here.

As of 22 March, the following countries have confirmed their artists for Eurovision 2021.

1. Azerbaijan – Efendi (confirmed 20 March)
  2. Belgium – Hooverphonic (confirmed 20 March)
  3. Bulgaria – Victoria (confirmed 21 March)
  4. Georgia – Tornike Kipiani (confirmed 21 March)
  5. Greece – Stefania (confirmed 18 March)
  6. Israel – Eden Alene (confirmed 22 March)
  7. Netherlands – Jeangu Macrooy (confirmed 18 March)
  8. Spain – Blas Cantó (confirmed 18 March)
  9. Switzerland – Gjon’s Tears (confirmed 20 March)
  10. Ukraine – Go_A (confirmed 18 March)

Eurovision 2021: Potential new artists

The following list is not conclusive:

Eurovision 2021: Declarations of interest from artists

The following list is not conclusive:

• Belarus: On Instagram, VAL wrote “We hope that every artist who was chosen to represent their country this year will make it to the next Eurovision”. This number would obviously include the duo.

Eurovision 2021: Reviewing the situation

The following list is not conclusive:

• Finland: Writing on the official UMK social media accounts, the Finnish delegation said it was considering many options and that the future direction of UMK will be decided in the coming weeks. In 2018 and 2019, UMK involved an internally selected act. So, there is precedent if the broadcaster were to select Aksel once more.
  • Norway: On Friday, NRK’s Head of Enterainment stated: “Ulrikke posed with an absolutely fantastic song that we had great faith in before Eurovision in May. We have planned to meet her next week to talk about what this means”. Norway has traditionally selected its act using the multi-artist Melodi Grand Prix selection.
BebeRo
BebeRo

Hahahahah, 10 of 42.

Safsaf
Safsaf
1 year ago

Yesss Ukrainee hope they bring ethnic techno next year as well!!!

Andre_ncl
Andre_ncl
1 year ago

I just hope Montaigne will come back!

Jeff
Jeff

Im so happy for Eden!!!

Jonny
1 year ago

This is so stupid and ridiculous to send the same artists with different songs. This is a song competition and people in each country won’t get a chance to pick their new favorite song!! People needs to pick a new artist and sing to represent their country. Who is gonna decide a new song, artist himself?! WTF

aroncido
aroncido
Reply to  Jonny

Internal selections existed before this though.

Titi
Titi

And Romania also confirm

Aisling
Aisling
1 year ago

Also… Eurovision 2021 will be a completely different eurovision so will they draw the semi-finals again?

Tuvia
Tuvia
Reply to  Aisling

Probably. Especially if some countries withdraw and some come back in.

Normunds
Normunds
1 year ago

I really hope Russia will send Little Big again and Lithuania will send Roop again, that’s all I want

Milye
Milye
1 year ago

Serbia: Hurricane would gladly represent Serbia in 2021 but RTS still didn’t decide

Ria van de Velde
Ria van de Velde
1 year ago

I read that Romania,Malta,Croatia and Ireland would send their artists to next year ‘s ESC. Would anyone knows if this is true??

An American ESC Fan
An American ESC Fan
1 year ago

I’d be surprised if Croatia hasn’t already chosen Damir internally since he keeps making hints he’ll represent them. I’d say it’s quite likely he’ll go. I think the other 3 have shown interest in going, but their broadcasters haven’t made an official decision.

Giolo
Giolo

From what I understood…
Damir said in his instagram account that he would be Croatian representative for Eurovision 2021, but the broadcaster didn’t confirm anything… maybe he knows something we don’t or maybe it’s just an assumption.
Roxen said she wants to participate next year and the broadcaster wants her to, so she is likely to come back, we just have to wait the official confirm
There are some rumors about Destiny, but I didn’t find anything
Really don’t know about Ireland 🙁

Anyway I expect all the internal selections to select 2020 artists (hopefully)

Gabe
Gabe
1 year ago

Yes, Roxen will represent Romania at the next year’s ESC with a new entry.

Tom
Tom
1 year ago

I don’t expect Italy, San Marino in ESC 2021 actually …About Italy and hard situation there i will be surprise if they will have San Remo ….or if Diodato will go, even he really wanted to go to ESC …
Same with Norway, Latvia, Lithuania, Denmark, Iceland, Albania, Portugal – i feel they will send new artists, even The Roop can be exception …

GIOLO
GIOLO
Reply to  Tom

If the situation will be over by July, there’s no way Italy is not going to organize Sanremo, it’s a tradition, older than ESC and for most Italians, it’s more important than Eurovision, so I expect (at least if experts calculus are right) to sill have Sanremo in February, but to send Didodato in ESC (but I fear with a weaker song, with less chance to get a good result unfortunately, because internal selection may not work for us)

Mi7503
Mi7503
Reply to  GIOLO

Why not a bonus competition with Diodato and the SR2021 winner ?

Giolo
Giolo
Reply to  Mi7503

It would be a cool idea indeed

Milanolich
Milanolich
Reply to  Tom

Unless the health crisis goes on until next February (let’s hope not) Sanremo is going to happen next year, it’s the most watched tv program of the year and the one that makes the most money for Rai, it would be insane not to have it. It could be a possibility for us to withdraw from Esc because of economical reasons but I don’t see why since we already pay so much money to the EBU just to be a member

srulik
srulik
1 year ago

I think artists who want to return should have the right to do so if they were internally selected. Countries with a tradition of NFs will hold them as they are primarily TV shows and music festivals which are part of the colture of that country. I think the best thing is give a free pass to the 2020 winner into the 2021 edition of the NF be it in a semi final or directly in the final. it wouldn’t be fair to have NF and tell the winner “sorry but you made all the effort for nothing”. I’m happy… Read more »

Tom
Tom
1 year ago

What about Croatia and Serbia ?? I heard Croatia will be back with Damir but he is not in this list 🙁

Lily
Lily
Reply to  Tom

It’s not yet officially confirmed from broadcasters.

astro!
astro!
1 year ago

everyone should just do a Romania/Israel… Same artists but still interesting competition

Dima
Dima
Reply to  astro!

Song selections are usually one night show but how can you compare that to for example six shows that Lithuania had for their act? You can’t. There are variations on national final selection process of course but for many broadcasters it’s their biggest show. Most probably can’t afford to reduce it to just one show.

Safiya
Safiya
Reply to  Dima

If they wanted to, they would come up with something else. They could organize some concerts with former Eurovision contestants or whatever. If we can live one year without Eurovision, we can live without traditional national selections.

Milanolich
Milanolich
Reply to  Safiya

A show with old Eurovision acts wouldn’t have the same appeal as a NF I think, at least in Italy I don’t think many people would watch it

Citizen of Memel
Citizen of Memel
Reply to  Safiya

“If they wanted to, they would come up with something else.”
It’s easy to say when you’re not in their shoes. 😉

Thorn
Thorn
1 year ago

That’s excellent news guys, we have already 10 out of 41 participants confirmed for next year. I really want to see all 41 artists returning next year and I’m so excited that they will have so much time to find an excellent song and concentrate on giving their best on the Eurovision stage. Next year’s theme should be not just “open up” but also “win the fear”!

Safiya
Safiya
1 year ago

I didn’t like all the songs but I still think every artist should get a chance to represent their country next year. It’s a huge dream for many artists so it’s just unfair that they don’t have a chance to compete.

dygh
dygh
1 year ago

Well, we never had so many confirmed artists at this point for next years so that’s a positive

Tusan
1 year ago

I don’t think Finland still wants Aksel.

KuhKatz
KuhKatz
Reply to  Tusan

As all of the chosen entries, he does deserve to be on stage in 2021!

Reply to  Tusan

He almost beat the fan favourite in televote in UMK and fans even voted it. He had support. (And I was team Cicciolina but Aksel deserved it)
I think Finland will have a new UMK but not for what yoy’re saying

SHIJIE YU
SHIJIE YU
1 year ago

Secretly I wished that Go_A won’t return……..

Dick van den Broek
Dick van den Broek
Reply to  SHIJIE YU

well I do..loved Go_A made that song work…had me moving!

Matt
Matt
Reply to  SHIJIE YU

I think like all acts they have a right to return, at the very least automatically to a national final, but the problem with artists like that, is the style of the song was so distinctive, that recreating it will draw criticism for being worse, and moving away from the style, especially if they’re competing in a national final, will just change their identity and kind of make them someone else.

Mia
Mia
1 year ago

I think if anything this sad crisis needs to learn us it’s to evaluate our priorities and our usual rules which are not sustainable in exceptional circumstances.
We’re not talking here about disposable products, we’re talking about people who rightfully deserved their chance to participate.
In the end it’s up to broadcasters discretion to decide, but I hope that many of them will stand by their artists.

1 year ago

I would rather have a boring NF season than see all these artists lose their big chance after all their hard work. Unless they explicitly say they’re cool with competing against others (like Uku) or aren’t interested in sticking around, the default option for each broadcaster should be the one that accommodates the act that would’ve gone in 2020. Traditional national final standards be damned; these are exceptional circumstances and to do otherwise would be really unfair, and I think most casual viewers would agree.

Gabriel
Gabriel
1 year ago

I have a question,the ESC 2020 won’t be in may of the next year???

Dianara
Dianara
1 year ago

All artists should represent their countries next year.
Have 3-5 songs to choose from.

1 year ago

In some countries, the popularity of the winning singer would seem to trump the “tradition” of national finals. Considering the following artists like The Roop, Alicija, Ulrikke, and Samanta have or have gained since they won their selections, I think a lot of people from those countries would be ok with letting them have all the song options.

Stian F
Stian F
1 year ago

Countries with national finals should just have this years entrant internally selected and stage a 5 song finals, like Romania did this year!!! I will be furious if i dont see Ulrikke represent Norway next year!!! Also invite back the teams and songwriters behind the songs so also they have a chance to go again with a song and same artist ?

Reply to  Stian F

Songwriters need recognition. It is the song.
National final for internal artist needs to be done like Israel this year otherwise makes no sense. Like every song have a different songwriting team behind and it really feels like a song contest. And it’s competitve. And you don’t see the same name behind all songs.

Matt
Matt
1 year ago

Roxen is all but confirmed… She stated she wants to do it, and the broadcaster stated they want her to do so… I guess all that’s left to confirm that is Romania deciding if they are definitely participating

An American ESC Fan
An American ESC Fan
Reply to  Matt

Same with The Roop. They want to and the Lithuanian HOD wants them to, so it’s pretty likely they’ll go

1 year ago

How about a list of great preselections we’ll lose? Vidbir is the first casualty of this situation, Dora probably as well. So after a season without contest, we’ll get a pre-season without competition and a ton of internal selections. I know, I’m in the minority with this opinion, but I am pretty sure that a lot of people will lament the lack of choice and new songs once the dust has settled and the 2021 season will be upon us. And this situation will of course remind us of 2020 all through next year. Not really looking forward to this,… Read more »

Loin dici
Loin dici
Reply to  Tibor

It’s the best compensation we could have. Nobody ever thought cancellation of 2020 would’ve had happened.

Reply to  Loin dici

No, it isn’t. Things can always improve.

Reply to  Loin dici

Speak for yourself, it’s not compensating me for anything.

Roo
Roo
Reply to  Tibor

Why do you need to be compensated? We are all disappointed that Eurovision has been cancelled but let’s face it, this crisis is not going to get better anytime soon.

Most of us are going to face lost opportunities this year but if we are healthy enough to enjoy them next year then we should be grateful

Health and wellbeing are the best ‘compensation’

Reply to  Roo

I was using Loin d’ici’s term, since I was replying to them.

OhOkay
OhOkay
Reply to  Tibor

From the sound of it, even ESC 2021 might get cancelled, since everybody’s saying this pandemic will last 18 months. So if I get just a contest in May, without a single pre-selection, I’ll be completely satisfied, haha. 😀

Reply to  OhOkay

Actually, the most realistic assumptions are till May / June (based on it’s duration in China), but some say it could return in some months / years. The vaccine is getting developed and will be available in about a year or a bit more.

Disclaimer: Note that I said *assumptions*! Nobody knows for sure. It could end it’s peek in 2 weeks or over a year. But after the cure and vaccine are made, it’s impact on humanity will be drastically reduced. We have to remain hopeful.

Reply to  Tibor

As usual, it’s impossible to have a level-headed dicussion on here without the silent mob voting you down instead of answering fair questions. So, please, talk to each other, I’m out.

James
James
Reply to  Tibor

Ukraine’s UA:PBC is not in a good position financially so holding off co-producing Vidbir with STB is one way to at least save money in case their participation ia in doibt again.

Bimbamboum
Bimbamboum
1 year ago

Tom Leeb is uncertain too. Would have liked if he came back with his own song or another one which suits him better. But maybe it’s also the chance for us to revival Destination Eurovision!!! Hoping really a lot. Fingers crossed ××××

Matt
Matt
Reply to  Bimbamboum

Tom Leeb is someone who should definitely return, they now know what not to do. Not to sound insensitive, but if they do pick him for 2021, then this is a dream scenario for him. He was destined for last place, and now he has an opportunity to work on that. And by work on that I mean stay away from John Lundvik.

yodenman
yodenman
1 year ago

I don’t think it should be open for debate. How can these singers be penalised for something totally out of their control. All singers should by default be in next years contest. Some people are saying that countries which have a national final should go ahead with them and give this years winners a pass into the final. No I’m sorry but they have already won fair and square. Why should they be made to win again. Let’s be honest it’s going to be very unlikely. We must honour the songs so they are not lost and more importantly that… Read more »

Reply to  yodenman

Nobody is being penalised, it’s just a very unfortunate and unprecedented situation. You could just as well turn the whole narrative around and ask why next years winners of Melfest, Sanremo, FiK etc. should be penalised. Because these shows will take place and they will have winners.

Reply to  Tibor

They shouldn’t. And their winners should be sent.

1 year ago

I think so, too. And people shouldn’t downvote you, but answer this valid question. Because how would it not be an equally big injustice to tell next year’s winners that unfortunately because of coronavirus they’re just the winners of their respective festivals and nothing more? Are they not worthy of this moral outrage that’s now spreading everywhere because allegedly this year’s winners are the only ones who are treated unjustly?

Reply to  Tibor

Exactly the way I see it. Life goes on. It’s insane to hold a national final in 2021 and tell the 2021 winner they can’t go to the 2021 Eurovision. Like, wtf? But we already know you can’t discuss things with many people here. They don’t seem to have the brain capacity for it. I imagine it’s like this: ESC cancelled. Me mad. Unfair. Everything must stay exactly the same next year. Logic bad. People challenging my view bad. Unfair. Bad people. Bad world. Me mad.

Reply to  Tibor

I suppose it wouldn’t be unjust if they knew exactly what they were signing up to from the start. They could always wait until 2022 if they felt strongly.

Reply to  Jonas

The winners of these preselections have always had the right to go to Eurovision. How is it not unjust to refuse this right to them next year? If they know it beforehand or not, the opportunity to go to Eurovision is still taken away from them.

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Tibor

That’s my thoughts exactly, Tibor. The 2020 competitors have their participation stolen. The songs for preselection shows 2021 have not yet been written. Only 10 participators confirmed. Anyone from outside that enters a selection process will be fully aware about the situation if they decide this on beforehand.

Thorn
Thorn
Reply to  Tibor

That’s not accurate Tibor. Italy hasn’t always sent the winner of Sanremo to Eurovision even the years they participated and FiK has been around for 40 years before Albania entered the contest. All other preselections are bound to the contest. If Sweden still wants to hold Melfest they should at least invite The Mamas directly to the final.

Reply to  Thorn

I know all that, Thorn, but the thing is: in my opinion it doesn’t really matter, if FiK already existed before, since they are participating it serves as Albania’s means of selection, so the right to represent Albania would just be applied to next year’s winner. So either this year’s or next year’s winner will be treated differently because of coronavirus, I really don’t see, why it’s fairer to know it beforehand. Same goes for Sanremo. Since Italy’s return to the contest, it is their preselection with the exception of 2014 and it’s just a matter of perspective if you… Read more »

aroncido
aroncido
Reply to  Tibor

But why hold the preselections in the first place? In some cases, where it is a massive event in its own right, I can understand (Italy, Sweden, and possibly others), but in most countries, these shows are not watched by a huge audience, and could easily be replaced by internal selection for a year.

Reply to  aroncido

How is it relevant by how many people it is watched, if the argument is based on the question if some artists are being treated differently and unfairly? My point is: Someone will lose their right to go to Eurovision, be it because the preselection is cancelled, be it because it’s held nevertheless, but the winner is refused the right to go to Eurovision just this one year. I said it before: This situation is unprecedented, it’s just bad luck, to have been chosen this year, nobody is to blame. But somebody has to bear with the consequences, either this… Read more »

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
Reply to  Tibor

It wouldn’t be an injustice because they would know about the situation beforehand. This years winner of a dal in hungary didn’t go to eurovision. They knew they wouldn’t . Was that an injustice for them? San remo and even fik are more than just a song selection process for eurovision. They are respected competitions on their own. Same goes with melodifestivalen

Reply to  Frisian esc

You are right, Frisian, it wouldn’t be an ”injustice”, per se, because everyone would know what they are going into. Still, it would be unrealistic to expect the viewing numbers not to seriously decline, as they in fact did with A-dal. Also, while I assume that Sanremo and FiK would more or less maintain it’s standard of songs, I could easily see Melfest, MGP, Songvakeppnin and UMK filled with less competitive and more casual songs. I wouldn’t hold my breath for names like Wiktoria, Jon Henrik or Ace WIlder to participate.

Reply to  Frisian esc

I already replied to that. The comparison with A Dal is inappropriate, since Hungary had pulled out of Eurovision altogether, so there was no way for anyone to go to Eurovision. Sweden and Italy and Albania etc. won’t be pulling out.

Reply to  Tibor

Don’t worry, Tibor, people are really stuck on some ideas and every alternative option gets downvoted. Don’t take it to heart. I don’t. Anyway, you still have plenty of us for discussions about whatever you want.

John
John
1 year ago

Aren’t you missing Croatia on the confirmed list. I thought Damir coming back was confirmed. Also what’s the status of Malta. Ins’t it pretty clear that Destiny would be sent?

OhOkay
OhOkay
Reply to  John

Nope, he just assumed he’s going for Croatia in 2021 on his Instagram page. 😛 The Croatian HRT broadcaster, however, has yet to make a decision, as it has announced on their official website.

Jim
Jim
1 year ago

Nordics and Portugal should give their singers a pass to their selections. Dadi, Mamas, Ben&Tan(together or separate), Elisa and Ukrikke. Aksel should get a UMK with 3 songs. Latvia and Lithuania should also stage 3 songs finals for The Roop and Samanta. I hope all internal acts return, few reasons why not. Damir, Hurricane, Diodato and Arilena should be internally selected for 2021 as their NFs aren’t as continuous and strict. Albania chose a whole new song in 2015. Italy did the same in 2014.

Nudiecrudi
Nudiecrudi
Reply to  Jim

I do not agree. Diodato had the chance to represent Italy by winning San Remo with Fai rumore.
I don’t like at all internal selections because the song is chosen by a reduced group of persons without passing through different filters, preselections experts juries and televoting..
To win San Remo means passing through all these levels ranking high. Only in this way Italy guarantees always high level songs.

Reply to  Jim

Italy 2014 is not a good example, considering what they sent vs. their beautiful Sanremo winner they could and should have sent.

Polegend Godgarina
1 year ago

the way arisa said she’d love to represent san marino a couple of years later… shameless lmao

Lokh
Lokh
1 year ago

New music from national selections awaits us only from Estonia and Sweden

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
Reply to  Lokh

You can always listen to songs from a dal, fik, san remo etc… It’s just uncertain if it will be an esc song.

Tusan
Reply to  Frisian esc

Wow, someone is still holding onto A Dal?

Nikki
Nikki
1 year ago

I think you could get a poll out of this- Which percentage of 2020 alumni vs 2021 newbies do you think it’s going to be? 75/25 60/40 50/50…

1 year ago

Countries with National Final is not an easy situation. It’s either unfair for 2020 or 2021. I think ultimately they will do NF and probably invite 2020 winner. It’s sad regardless.
2020 shadow sorrounding 2021 will be hard

Ken
Ken

Yay! EDEN <3

1 year ago

The Norwegian statement is an interesting one. I can’t imagine they’d want to scrap their entire NF. We shall see.

1 year ago

I could see next year’s MGP being concieved as a one or more semi-finals with diverse acts and then the winner has to duel Ulrikke in a superfinal which would be 100% televoting. IDK… the situation is complex, but this might be the right solution for them. So, if Ulrikke’s new song is as strong or if she already has an army of fans, winning should be easy. Still, it would continue the MGP tradition and leave open doors if someone has a masterpiece on their hands. I still think that it would be Ulrikke’s game.

Josh
1 year ago

This is really useful article. Please continue to update as further countries make announcements. Thanks

1 year ago

What I care about: Destiny, Ana Soklic and Roxen (if they put the same effort into finding good alcohol-like songs).

waiting for my boi Benny C

Tom
Tom
Reply to  Jo.

He will be back probably

EuroSluuuuuutty
EuroSluuuuuutty

I only care about Blas Canto sexyass, the rest can choke on a D tbh 😀

Saskia
Saskia

You can choke on a D tbh 😀

leopard
leopard
1 year ago

I want to choke on his D. ?

“And why not, see you at ESC 2021” -Roxen