Eurovision Executive Supervisor Martin Österdahl has revealed that the EBU will give broadcasters the option to use pre-recorded backing vocals during Eurovision 2021 in Rotterdam. It’s meant to help create a more sustainable contest.

Österdahl explained that the EBU is relaxing the rules on backing vocalists singing live in order to help countries cope with new realities.

“The lessons learned from the spring of 2020 are that we need to plan for a global crisis, and we have tailored the rules of the Contest to that effect. We must be able to be more flexible and to make changes even to the format itself and how we organize the event in these challenging times.”

“As organizers of the world’s largest live music event we are determined and united in our mission; to bring back a Contest, a new winner and a handover to a new Host Broadcaster. These elements are in our DNA and part of our legacy.”

Eurovision 2021 rules change: Pre-recorded backing will be allowed

Normally, all the vocals, including backing, must be completely live to ensure fair play. Because each entry usually features a small group of backing vocalists, this puts additional strain on delegations. It increases their numbers, which subsequently leads to greater expenses, such as hotel and travel costs.

As part of making Eurovision come back “for good”, the Eurovision Song Contest Reference Group has decided to allow the participating broadcasters to opt for the use of pre-recorded vocals on the backing track. We should emphasise the optionality. Countries are still allowed to use real-life backing vocalists on stage. They can decide to add pre-recorded voices on the backing track, or replace their backing vocalists with recordings altogether.

A side goal of giving broadcasters the chance to use pre-recorded vocals is to give them more creative freedom. Abiding by the six-person rule, delegations could now replace backing vocalists with dancers, while still having the extra voices on stage. It also means delegations will no longer have to find dancers who can sing.

The EBU underlined that though there is no limit in the amount of vocalists that can be heard on the track, the lead vocals will always have to be performed live. On top of that, it is not a permanent rule yet. Martin Österdahl said:

“When making the rule change, maintaining authenticity and fairness has always been front of mind.”

Pre-recorded vocals are not completely alien to the contest. Popular national finals such as Sweden’s Melodifestivalen and Norway’s Melodi Grand Prix have made use of pre-recorded backing vocalists in the past few years. Norway’s Eurovision 2017 entry JOWST was also allowed to use a vocal sampling during his performance of “Grab The Moment” in Kyiv.

What do you think about the rule change? Do you think many broadcasters will make use of it? Let us know in the comments down below!

Read all our Eurovision 2021 news here.

Guy
Guy
1 month ago

It’s funny that this is leading to controversy/arguments considering full bands can play to a recording in Eurovision competitions, including 2006’s winner, whose performance of Rock Hallelujah was, at minimum, utilizing pre-recorded drums but had a drummer going through the motions…seems like the Super Bowl Halftime Show, this has always been a bunch of performative nonsense.

Nils
Nils
1 month ago

My biggest wish for 2021: some country sending an acapella group with everyone but the lead vocalist keeping their mouths shut out of protest.

Jai
Jai

2021: Prerecorded vocals
2022: Second Chance Round
2023: Age based juries
2024:”Welcome to the 2024 International Melodifestivalen”

ag89
ag89
1 month ago

Another thing…Imagine a song with a massive powerful choir where the choir is so powerful to overshadow the main singer. And then this singer will perform without any backing singers although it will have similar impact (because of this pre recorded choir) and people will be impressed by this choir and vote. I am just making a possible scenario and in this particular case this wouldn t be fair to other artists.

ag89
ag89
1 month ago

Well, I hope they will also give a chance to countries to play some of their instruments live. I am not a big fan of this pre-recorded backing vocals possibility despite it is still optional. I do support 100% live singing, but there you go, I hope they know what they are doing. Yes, it s a live show, a spectacle, much more than just a song or singing, but to me this is somehow putting singing in the “background” although I firmly believe singing is No1 and everything else should be No2. Backing vocals are equally important (often) as… Read more »

Sgf Sgf
Sgf Sgf
1 month ago

Hmm, let’s see about this one. It might be a disaster, but we don’t know because Eurovision 2021 hasn’t started yet.

Johan
Johan
1 month ago

I am a Swede and i also dislike this “trial run”. I know what it feels like to every year hear a song at melfest, and to a certain extent being scared of what the actual live performance will sound like. That part of me can now rest easy as these mediocre singers that we send will sound almost perfect. But that also means that i won´t be truly happy if by some crazy chance we win. Because I will know that this singer actually isn’t capable of actually performing the song without this playback. Why does Swedens representative do… Read more »

TheDr Mistery
TheDr Mistery
1 month ago

Malta as a guest in 1991? Has been in every single contest since then.
Orchestra as optional in 1999? Forbidden ever since.
Australia as a guest in 215? Has been in every single contest since then.
1 year trial for pre-recorded backing vocals? ….

Fatima
Fatima
1 month ago

When we have the Olympics next year, the relay races will just have the last leg runner competing in the stadium. The personal bests of the first three athletes can be added together to determine the point where the anchor runner will start. Think of the money which will be saved on transport and accommodation for those extra athletes. What an innovation!

Héctor
Héctor
1 month ago

I’m in favour of giving countries permission to bring specific type of pre-recorded vocals in case they need. Like it happened back in 2017 with Norway. As a general rule… I’m yet to know if I like it or not tbh. But it feels like they are trying, again, to “nordify” the contest.

Last edited 1 month ago by Héctor
Louka
Louka
1 month ago

BREAKING NEWS : Tom Leeb WON’T represent France in Rotterdam next year. The french singer reveal the news himself during an interview officialy explaining that it was due to his planning for 2021 which can’t let him enough time to take part again in the big music adventure.

Reply to  Louka

Thanks for sharing. Wiwi will give us a post on this I hope?

Bimbamboum
Bimbamboum
Reply to  Whisker

Yes for sure, Oranie, the wiwi correspondant from France, is probably putting the finishing touches to her article 😉

Reply to  Bimbamboum

The post was published, but the author is Oliver Adams. At least both names start with “O”. OH-LA-LA!

Kim
Kim
1 month ago

Shame this wasn’t in place for a certain interval act last year….

Nils
Nils
Reply to  Kim

Otherwise I’m glad about her bad live performance. I’m still getting really angry when I think of all those people declaring Justin Timberlake’s obvious playback better than all of that year’s actual contestants.

Last edited 1 month ago by Nils
SamS
SamS
1 month ago

At the end of the day, the ordinary viewer will barely notice a difference apart from a likely higher quality of songs. So surely any action that makes the contest better and makes it more enjoyable is worth it? Especially in this time of Covid-19

1 month ago

Where is the ” this number of people maximum per delegation rule? I want to know if EBU is sensible enough to make a rule demanding the delegations bring a limited number of people. And of course, that would be less of a financial burden on national broadcasters as well since some of them complain.

Jonny
Jonny
Reply to  Whisker

The number of people on stage is already limited

Paysbart
Paysbart

Very very sad news…….

Jan
Jan
1 month ago

I Like this idea and makes a lot of sense.
Let’s see how it goes next year!

Pineaple
Pineaple
1 month ago

After reading through a lot of the comments it’s clear to see that a lot of people dont get that the main vocals still have to be performed live. It’s not going to turn into a lip sync contest. Everyone needs to calm down and stop jumping to conclusions. If you really hate it, you don’t have to watch it. Also, can y’all like stop attacking Sweden? They seem to be attacked for every decision the EBU ever make about Eurovision and that really isn’t fair. People are asking why didn’t Martin Ostedahl speak to the fans first, but why… Read more »

Fatima
Fatima
Reply to  Pineaple

It’s not a “minority” though is it Pineaple? And the reasons Sweden are in the firing line are a) because this development has happened under the watch of a Swede and b) it’s the latest cut and paste from Melodifestivalen.
I’ve not attacked people but I can understand why others have. You are right, I don’t have to watch Eurovision 2021. But since I’ve not missed one since 1968, I hope you can understand why this would be such a big deal.

Reply to  Fatima

1968? This is amazing!

Karl
Karl
Reply to  Fatima

No, the main reason why we get hate for all changes is because we have done too well the latest years, and fans don´t want the same country to do well for too long obviously, since this hate towards us surprisingly started the very same time we started to do well again. We had a Swedish EBU scrutineer from 2004-2010, during those years, it was very silent about “Swedish mafia, advantage and so on” because our results were poor, but now since 2011 when we have had great results, we are the worst that has ever happened to this competition.… Read more »

Karl
Karl
Reply to  Fatima

And I´m not a fan of this rule change either.

Nicolas
Nicolas
1 month ago

If this is optional as they claim, a warning should be displayed on the screen during the performance for the countries trying to cheat and use pre-recorded background voices.
THIS PERFORMANCE USE SOME PRE-RECORDED VOCALS.
My bet is that it will be not even announced for the general public that some parts will not be live singing. They will think it’s still live. And the evil they are is that they could forbid the TV commentators to talk about it.

Last edited 1 month ago by Nicolas
Reply to  Nicolas

It’s not cheating if it’s something allowed. Yet the juries and the viewers AND THE REST OF THE PARTICIPATING COUNTRIES should know whether some countries use the pre-recorded voices or not. In the spirit of fairness because it is a song *contest* where vocals matter. If they don’t, let EBU say it clearly in the criteria for the juries to vote upon.

Nicky91
Nicky91
1 month ago

it is cheating, and it is a horrible new rule, hope it only sticks to one year and then never again this stupid autotune flop

Cameron
Cameron
Reply to  Nicolas

It’s allowed so how is that cheating, it’s up to the country, no cheating

Kim
Kim
1 month ago

There have been quality songs in the past few years that have been affected by poor quality backing vocals so in that respect I look forward to this new idea. I do hope similar to many on here, that less backing singers does not result in more backing dancers.
One thing that is puzzling me is that I thought Croatia in 1999 was penalised for using prerecorded male voice backing vocals so were prerecorded backing vocals allowed previously?

Reply to  Kim

I believe that since 2017 (as requested by Norwegian entrants for their song Grab the Moment) there is an option of specifically asking for permission to use some pre-recorded sounds which can’t be replicated in live as well. However, I do believe that this didn’t apply to regular backing vocals up until now.

Last edited 1 month ago by Colin
Milan
Milan
Reply to  Kim

There have also been quality songs affected by poor quality main vocals. Do you suggest EBU should allow them to be prerecorded too, so that we can officially switch to the Eurovision Lip Synching Contest?

Last edited 1 month ago by Milan
Reply to  Kim

I still don’t get it. Since Eurovision is (was) a 100% live singing competition, why not come with a song that is suitable for singing live. Someone was saying earlier about the song Safari from Romania’s NF that would have not been suitable for the live contest.   Then why keep going – including in the video that wiwibloggs did yesterday on this rule change – that some songs would have benefited from pre-recorded vocals. Monsters from Finland was an example. Why do it in the first place if you know it’s not feasable to replicate it? Or do the… Read more »

1 month ago

Good question, Una. My best guess would be that they have so much faith in the song itself that they are hoping it will collect enough following prior to the contest and fans will be able to disregard some minor flaws brought by the live performance.
PS. About Safari – Part of the problem were backing singer’s vocals, which sounded much better slightly altered with electronics. But the other part was Serena felt restrained in her performance and didn’t ooze any seductive vibes the song was going for. Imagine Safari being performed by Eleni or Raylee.

Last edited 1 month ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

Thanks for sharing your opinion, Colin.
IDK. The big flop of Finland 2017 in the GF when Monsters was quite known in the fandom and outside because of Saara. Not even that love saved it from flopping hard and AFAIR it barely qualified.
To be honest I could not listen to Safari from start to finnish. I am a bit tired too of revamps and all that and all those formulas and calculations that take from the joy of the contest for someone that loves Eurovision and follows all things related.

Pavel
Pavel
1 month ago

‘less people’ is, in fact, more dancers.

Reply to  Pavel

Honestly, songs are different and treating each with the same mold for live performance would be wrong. Some songs are very intimate and require only one person on stage standing or sitting and pouring the soul out. Other songs have big party / epic vibe and 20 people on stage would’ve been an optimal number, if ever allowed. I think it would be wrong to overcrowd / undercrowd stages. Sure, ”no more than six people” is still (somehow) a thing, so ”big” numbers have to manage, but there is no viable reason for more intimate performances to add people on… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by Colin
Sniper K-Wolf
Sniper K-Wolf
1 month ago

Worst decision taken since the cancellation of the cancellation of the orchestra (1999), live music (2003) and language rules (1999).

Kredential
Kredential
1 month ago

I’ve been sitting on this for hours now trying to come up with a response but I can’t seem to find the words. All I know is that I do NOT like it.

The EBU can get lost with this ‘1 year trial’ bs. They only say that to try and fan the flames, it’ll be a one year trial the same way Australia was only meant to participate once

Last edited 1 month ago by Kredential
Nils
Nils
Reply to  Kredential

Nothing bad about Australia participating, though. But, yeah, I guess you’re right.

Roo
Roo
1 month ago

I don’t like all this Swedish artificiality. Hiding backing singers and now this.

Why couldn’t the same pool of backing singers be used to multiple acts? In most cases the songs are in English.

I miss the whole sideways strut of Israeli backing artists.

Milan
Milan
Reply to  Roo

I hope someone from Italy comes soon to manage this contest.

Christian
Christian
Reply to  Roo

If I’m not mistaken this was done in 2016 for a few acts. Same went for Malta 2002 when Ira Losco hired Estonian singers. In 1990, Toto Cutugno had some Slovenian/Yugoslavian singers coming along with him.

Reply to  Christian

Russia 2019 had Swedish backings. From all countries in the world. Russia. OMG.

1 month ago

And didn’t Hadise have this multi-cultural team of dancers and BVs as well, I was thinking oh my there are so many nationalities there.

Reply to  Whisker

No idea but now I remember Cyprus that had a group representing them with people from 3 or 4 countries.

Jofty
Jofty
1 month ago

Oh? Was this not first Switzerland and then Armenia? But you’re probably right.

Reply to  Jofty

I think I was wrong and mistook Cyprus for Malta what had a guitarist from Cyprus. I remember a video interview where the lead singer was talking about how international the group was. But it wasn’t Cyprus. My bad.

Reply to  Jofty

I was actually right – it was CYPRUS IN 2010. A Welsh singer – Jon, and The Islanders from Cyprus, Scotland etc. It was much earlier than I had thought but my first comment was correct.

Reply to  Roo

Roo – do you mean something like San Remo? AFAIR there are the same backings for all artists.

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Roo

Back in the day this used to be done. I think there was a trio called The Dolls? And Tanel Padar made 2 or 3 appearances in a row; backing Malta in 2000, possibly also Estonia (he was the boyfriend of Ines) then he won in 2001 backing Dave Benton.

Last edited 1 month ago by Jofty
West
West
1 month ago

I hope someone uses it to send a song with a backing vocals by a massive choir – I’m thinking 100+ members.

TD303
TD303
Reply to  West

One name: Destiny Chukunyere ?

1 month ago

Someone correct me if I am wrong: Sweden 2014 (Sanna with Undo) was the first act to have hidden backings. So the trend originated from Sweden.

Heid
Heid
1 month ago

1 year trial basically means forever, like when Australia was invited for “1 year only” for the 60th An show.

Nicolas
Nicolas
Reply to  Heid

of course, they wouldn’t speak of trial if it was a decision due to the COVID uncertain conditions for 2021. They would have specify that this will be only for 2021 and normally would have wait at least the end of the year to announce it because nobody knows what the situation will be next year. Or they could say that if the COVID is behind us next january this rule will not be applied.

DAVID
DAVID
1 month ago

What is left of the live show? Nothing much except a few notes left to the solo vocalist + plus dodgy presenters reminding us that this is a live show! I’m out – the fun is over!

Reply to  DAVID

Nothing could have saved Manuel’s raspy high note (Spain 2017).

Pontus
Pontus
1 month ago

Im a swede and i dont like the idea BUT if we take Serhat for example. He sang really bad so not even 12 backing singers would help him with the new rule. The singers in Melfest who dont sing really good like Oscar Enestad or Mendez for example. They will never win anyway with this rule we have so it could be worse. We can try with this rule:).

Reply to  Pontus

Serhat is lovely and SM did not select him for his singing skills. That being said he was lovely and Say Na Na Na deserved to get into the final if only for the *song* and the *presentation*.

Ashton
Ashton
1 month ago

not over Portugal. not over Hungary.

Reply to  Ashton

Neither Portugal nor Hungary did a lot for me that year. However I liked Hungary up to the contest to some extent mostly for Joci and his story rather than the music as such.

My tears were actually for Poland in SF1. Big tears. Happy for SM’s qualification – that made my night. And it’s a song I still listen to from time to time and it always makes me feel good. Deserving qualifier IMO.

Ashton
Ashton
1 month ago

ok, well to me, a drunk uncle somehow managing not only to not sing, but to speak OFF-KEY for a whole entire song that feels like it came out of 2003 wouldn’t be a deserving qualifier. sorry

Reply to  Ashton

Oh no he wasn’t that bad!

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Whisker

ok watch that live again sis, he brought the energy but not a TASTE of a good vocal. I said what I said

Kredential
Kredential
1 month ago

SM selected him cause his pockets were big enough lol, each to their own but I thought his song last year was one of the worst and that’s without discussing his horrible vocals

Kim
Kim
Reply to  Kredential

And yet he still managed to get Top 10 with the televote so it shows that voters don’t necessary give much attention to the vocal quality. That’s if he had any actual votes away from the Turkish diaspora…

Reply to  Kredential

I wonder how much does this ESC participation cost then? What does it include?

Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno
1 month ago

As long as it’s just for the time being due to the pandemic, I’m fine with it
I believe vocalists should be singing live, always

Pineaple
Pineaple
1 month ago

Do some Eurovision fans ever stop complaining? Just give it a chance… it probably wont even change things all that much. Why cant people just enjoy Eurovision for what it is? It sucks the fun out of it when all the vocal minority do is complain. Let’s just look forward to actually having a contest next year and be thankful that everything is being done to prevent another cancellation, instead of being extremely entitled and complaining about every decision they make.

It’s an awful time right now for most people. Let’s not make it worse by ruining something good 🙂

Darren
Darren
Reply to  Pineaple

You’re a Eurovision fan complaining about Eurovision fans …

Evil vocal minority
Evil vocal minority
Reply to  Pineaple

”Reference group”is ruining Eurovision, not the fans. And it is my fully right to complain, sorry if I spoil your ilusions.

Nils
Nils
Reply to  Pineaple

Also, Eurovision fans are enjoying Eurovision for what it IS … so why even consider changing and possibly ruining that?

Last edited 1 month ago by Nils
Stephen
Stephen
1 month ago

Bring it back live with orchestra no backing tracks

1 month ago

While I’m not necessarily in the favor of this new rule, it’s not like the main artist will be pre-recorded, only backing vocalists. Sure, in some cases the mid-level vocals of the main artist could be “drowned” by the back vocals, but they can be in either case. Most of the backing singers have always been good (with rare exceptions), since that’s their main purpose. They don’t *have* to have charisma and visual appeal of the main artist (many do anyway), hence, they are rarely hired in the first place if they aren’t spot-on.   Still, I feel sorry for… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by Colin
romanian
romanian
Reply to  Colin

Imri Ziv was backing vocalist for Nadav Guedj and he can’t sing. Anyway, I think is better prerecorded than hidden.

Reply to  romanian

Come on, Imri came back as main lead the year after!!!

Arrivederci
Arrivederci
1 month ago

It didn’t work out that well for France in JESC last year.

Jake
Jake
1 month ago

I bet they saw that awful live performance of Ben Dolic singing Violent Thing and realized any radio-friendly song needs to be completely fixed so its not a violent thing for the ears

Jake
Jake
1 month ago

beyond crazy what this has come to i also don’t understand why these people are OK with pre-recorded backing vocals but not pre-recorded lead vocals since most of the singers will just use backing vocalists to carry their voices–so they will get drowned out by the pre-recorded voices to hit the high notes and hide any shortcomings I guarantee most vocals in 2021 will sound exactly the same with or without the lead vocal singing anything We are basically turning this into a radio contest and I guess that’s what these people want–performances to look like a music video with… Read more »

Idksmth
Idksmth
1 month ago

I hate this rule. I just hope that most countries will stick to the rule about live vocals and laugh in the face of the people who thought of the rule and approved it. Also using COVID-19 as an excuse is stupid because they’re still organising the contest basically the same as other years without moving from an arena to a small studio like with JESC. Seriously. I don’t wanna see performances with robot like vocals. I want to see the ability of the performer not 500 backing vocalists covering up the f-ups of the artist who is not able… Read more »

diana
diana
1 month ago

And yall should stop complaining. this will favour countries that don’t have the same financial abilities like the big 5, sweden, norway etc. Let’s just hope and pray that an actual Eurovision will happen next year and if this prerecorded thing is too bad, it’ll probably be over by 2022.

Davo
Davo
Reply to  diana

The wealthier nations will just use this rule to send more and better dancer, so they will still have an advantage.

diana
diana
1 month ago

Are we blaming Sweden for this too?

Erik
Erik
Reply to  diana

Apparently. I just love the unity in esc community. I feel we bring countries together…. 2016 was a lovely edition and many people liked it. After that people want to cut the bounds with Sweden, blame us for our involvement and just wish we failed completely. And it’s not like everything is a “coordinated attack” Swedish songwriters and choreographers want more jobs. So they turn to several countries selection processes. Björkman does want what he can get, he likes the show so he gets involved. I agree he should step back more now. The supervisor does not make decisions like… Read more »

HJay
HJay
1 month ago

Corona as an argument for this is so stupid. Why does everything has to change because of this virus? It’s hard to describe what I am thinking right now. This really is the worst decision ever made I guess, after they stopped using live orchestra.

MTD
MTD
1 month ago

Sweden, just stop it already!

HJay
HJay
1 month ago

Horrible. Eurovision shouldn’t become a playback show or a lipsync for your life battle. Just horrible. And corona as an argument for this? Really really bad. The EBU should be ashamed of this. Wow.

Henrikh Mugosa
Henrikh Mugosa
Reply to  HJay

Wasn’t Benjamin Ingrosso allowed to lypsinc back in 2018? So, what’s new?

Nicolas
Nicolas
Reply to  Henrikh Mugosa

Hiding the back vocalists was the first mistake and should have never been allowed and I knew that it was the first step for this pre-recording thing to happen a few years later like a full lip-sync will now happen before the end of the decade. Why paying sound engineers, technical qualified mixers crew if we can just playback a track and even avoid some rehearsals.

bastian
bastian
1 month ago

This is just a terrible decision.

Jai
Jai

Nils
Nils
1 month ago

While it might be a necessary exception next year, it shouldn’t be a permanent change. Else this will only be in favor of people like DJ BoBo who are rather mediocre at singing and mostly rely on the show. This way it could really become the Eurovision Stage Gimmick Contest.

MartyMcCu
MartyMcCu
1 month ago

I agree with this decision, the contest is being well prepared for next year for sure and if it ends up being a remote contest or from a studio in Rotterdam the relaxing of rules with prerecorded backing vocals is essential so things go as planned and there is no breaking of rules. But one question what happens if a country has backing vocals from a 500+ choir , will this be allowed? would this be fair?

Last edited 1 month ago by MartyMcCu
KarmaLeon
KarmaLeon
1 month ago

God nooooooo … first live music then live vocals….. eurovision is starting to lose its spirit seriously…

Hi :)
Hi :)
Reply to  KarmaLeon

Well, it makes sense to take away live backing vocals because they want as less people part of a delegation as possible to minimise the amount of people at the Ahoy arena at the same time. We can live without backing vocals for a year.

MartyMcCu
MartyMcCu
1 month ago

They made the right decision. It is good that the contest is going ahead next year , whatever the circumstances. Incase it ends up as remote contest , this is the best solution with prerecorded backing vocals, avoids breaking of rules etc and any suspicion of cheating. Although someone is going to take advantage of having a full on 500+ choir as backing vocals. Is this fair? Maybe not, but at the end of the day its the song that counts and what captivates the attention of the audience. It is also cheaper to make the contest sustainable in the… Read more »

Sirius
Sirius

Robyn Gallagher
Admin
1 month ago

Imagine how this would benefit a country like Montenegro – who weren’t even planning on coming in 2020 due to financial reasons. If an act like Slavko was going, it could mean he’d be able to leave his three off-stage backing singers at home. That would save the delegation the cost of 3x flights, accomodation, meals, etc – and that could add up to serious savings for a smaller broadcaster.   A lot of broadcasters are going to be tightening their belts due to the economic downturn from the pandemic. The BV rule would make Eurovision participation more affordable and… Read more »

1 month ago

Robyn, coming in as always as the voice of reason.

Mr Vanilla Bean
Mr Vanilla Bean
1 month ago

Your valid argument is exactly what they want everyone to focus on but that does not make all the ramifications this decision will likely come with disappear. Furthermore, I do not believe that the difference of paying the accommodation and salary of a couple of people will decide whether a broadcaster will participate or not. I’m assuming it won’t have much weight compared to the participation fee. Its terrible weight will be visible when we get like ten or more MTV shows on stage.

Last edited 1 month ago by Mr Vanilla Bean
1 month ago

Please, let’s stop pretending that they are trying to help countries like Montenegro. Those countries only wanted one thing: they wanted to use the same song in 2021. Do you remember what EBU said to that?   “in accordance with the Rules of the Eurovision Song Contest, this year’s songs will not be eligible to compete when the Contest returns in 2021.”   And do you remember why they wanted to use the same song? This is what Wiwibloggs said to that:   “This news was disappointing to some broadcasters and artists who had hoped to carry over their 2020… Read more »

Reply to  Alex

Yup, like transportation and professional fees and such.

Pontus
Pontus
1 month ago

If Martin were from the land of Narnia you guys would NOT even care, 1. He is NOT alone in the reference group, they are a lot. 2. Learn to do research 3. Its an idea so take a pill to calm down drama queens

Milan
Milan
Reply to  Pontus

I haven’t read from which country this person is, nor do I care how they are connected to this decision.
The decision itself is ridiculous – another step away from the song contest and towards “prerecorded act” contest. In a few years we may easily have the whole thing prerecorded, with a focus on anything else except the ability to sing live. We should think of an alternative interpretation of the “S” in ESC.

Erik
Erik
Reply to  Milan

It’s actually song contest and not singing contest. So it should be about the composition. Because it’s a broadcast the visuals are also important actually. But no need to change anything based on this