Eurovision Third Place Acts 2010 to 2019

This year at wiwibloggs we are celebrating the festive season with a series of different polls. For the next few days, we’re going to stuff your stockings with a selection of Eurovision votes. Consider this a unique riff on the classic “Twelve Days of Christmas” carol.

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, you can join us and let us know your thoughts for each and every poll. Today’s question — Who is your favourite third-place Eurovision act of the 2010s?

Eurovision third-place entries: 2010 to 2019

For much of the 2010s, the third-place spot was simply a signal of what was to come. Twice, Sweden took home bronze only to come back a year later and grab gold. Ukraine also secured victory just three years after its third place finish. And while they didn’t win during this period, Russia and Italy also firmly established their dominance, almost always finishing top ten.

On the otherhand, Austria’s third-place marked the last of five consecutive qualifications – a streak which started with Conchita’s 2014 victory. For others, it was a high point. Serbia got its second best result as an inpendent nation, Romania matched its 2005 finish and Moldova recorded its biggest success.

But who was your favourite third-place act? Watch and listen to all the performances below and then vote for your favourite in our poll.

2010: Paula Seling and Ovi — “Playing with Fire” (Romania)

2011: Eric Saade — “Popular” (Sweden)

2012: Željko Joksimović — “Nije ljubav stvar” (Serbia)

2013: Zlata Ognevich — “Gravity” (Ukraine)

2014: Sanna Nielsen — “Undo” (Sweden)

2015:  Il Volo — “Grande Amore” (Italy)

2016: Sergey Lazarev — “You Are The Only One” (Russia)

2017: Sunstroke Project — “Hey, Mamma!” (Moldova)

2018: Cesár Sampson — “Nobody but You” (Austria)

2019: Sergey Lazarev — “Scream” (Russia)

Poll: Who is your favourite third-place Eurovision act of the 2010s?

Check out more of our polls here.

Stephanie
Stephanie

Il Volo? Seriously? Thanks but no thanks for me. I can’t help it but after five years I still hate this song so much and I even don’t know why. Sorry! But I do like Scream and Undo.

Nils
Nils

how is ‘you are the only one’ more popular than ‘scream’? it sounded so outdated and cheap …

Mark
Mark

Third place is usually filled by a bad song

Kirby
Kirby
Reply to  Mark

Usually? Really?

lazerboy
lazerboy

Seryooozhaaa ?ofc he’s the best? he’s the only 1)))
Also Sanna & Eric obviously!

Last edited 2 months ago by lazerboy

They’re all so good. It is impossible for me to choose. Here goes something silly:

I realise I might be playing with fire and become unpopular, but Serbian song titles aside, the gravity of the situation requires that I undo my grande amore for this selection. The remainder of this attempt at poetry would involve a mamma being my only one, but I could hold on to nobody but you while I scream at my words.

1998
1998

The best one: 2012
The most overrated one: 2019
The worst one: 2017

Nikki
Nikki

Il Volo for the Win!

I love Sunstroke Project and Cesar too.

And speaking about Sanna, Has anyone else watched a video of one of the new RuPaul’s Queens, Utica, doing a lypsinc of Undo?

Richie

10.Russia 2019

Grft
Grft

UuUuUuUuUNdo

Nicola Darby
Nicola Darby

Sergay Lazarev (You Are The Only One) is my favourite Eurovision song of all time – it was robbed in 2016!

Last edited 2 months ago by Nicola Darby
Wilfried
Wilfried
Reply to  Nicola Darby

His result in 2016 was shocking!
I actually preferred the 2019’s song…but that staging wasn’t impacting enough unfortunately

Thomas
Thomas

Zlata is my winner! her voice is absolutely mesmerizing and the entry was magical 😀

Carol Phile
Carol Phile

All the best songs come third. And for Sergey Lazarev to have not won is a joke. Both of his songs were brilliant, with great production and such an astounding vocal performance. Robbed!

I remember *loving* Austria 2018 before the show and my joy at the song being the jury winner. I never liked Sanna’s “Undo” until I heard Roxen’s version. “Playing with Fire” was a true Eurovision performance, made and staged to perfection and delivered effortlessly. It would have been my second that year with Turkey my first – the genre and the staging rocked – also with a flowless performance. My winner of this poll is “Gravity” – Ukraine 2013 – I can still remember by experience of watching the show and rooting for it. Zlata was flawless. A true perfomer.… Read more »

2013 has the most baffling choice of a top 3 song of the whole decade, no doubt. Not only that the winner from Denmark and the third placed Ukraine eclipsed circles around it, but we also had very strong entries from Netherlands, Iceland, Moldova, Italy, Malta, Norway and France. Moreover, the UK was also pretty good, even if the performance wasn’t on pair. Still, it was Azerbaijan of all songs who managed to snatch the second place… And I still wonder how? The staging was really good, but the song itself was incredibly sub-par. Calling it mediocre would probably be… Read more »

Last edited 2 months ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

Azerbaijan’s result was so suspicious that even the EBU finally reacted and changed the rules for 2014.

Kirby
Kirby
Reply to  Jonas

Besides, “Hold Me” is nothing but a collage or mosaic of 20th-Century Spanish, English and French ballads. An entry that seems a lab outcome, full of common places… (…just “unfold me” if I’m wrong.)

Hadise's Hair
Hadise's Hair
Reply to  Jonas

I’m asking just because i don’t know , what rules are changed in 2014 ?

Reply to  Colin

I prefer Romania 2013 for originality and the “kitsch” factor than Azerbaijan 2013 textbook Eurovision factory industry and over-the-top mediocracy.

Joey
Joey

Azerbaijan came in 2nd place by cheating, hence the change of rules in 2014.

moramento22
moramento22

Well Sanna Nielsen, of course!

Patrick
Patrick

So many of my favorites ended in third place!
2011 Eric Saade
2013 Zlata Ognevich
2014 Sanna Nielsen
2015 Il Volo
2016 Sergey Lazarev

ROMANIA!

Denis
Denis

Zlata and “Gravity,of course. That one is epic!
I also think Serbia 2012 is way to high. It is performed well but we have heard it so many times up tll then! Same standard sound, performance and everything!

Liisa
Liisa

Already before reading this post I was afraid to see the poll results. And I was 100% right. Again. What is Serbia’s incredibly stereotypical and boring Balkan ballad doing in 4th place? Ahead of “Popular” (which btw is still played on the radio in my country), “Scream” and “Playing with Fire”? Those Balkan countries are so annoying for voting for only each other (or their own country) in polls no matter what. You should just vote for the best song. Serbia should be last or next to last in this poll. It was my 15th place in 2012 and didn’t… Read more »

Srdjan30
Srdjan30
Reply to  Liisa

Because your opinion is the gold standard, right?

porf
porf
Reply to  Srdjan30

Hahaha indeed. We should notify wiwibloggs that we don’t need polls anymore. We will just ask Lisa! Or even better, we don’t even need the voting or juries in ESC itself – Lisa to the rescue! 😀

chipo clu
chipo clu
Reply to  Liisa

Stop, don’t say that it’s impossible, ‘Cause I know it’s possible
only because of this masterpiece of poetry, popular should be number 1 right?

Liisa
Liisa
Reply to  chipo clu

It’s otherwise a very good song and had a huge commercial success.

Leo
Leo
Reply to  chipo clu

I think “lord I’m gonna get so high tonight/I’m gonna let the floodgates open wide/I’m in open water” is a more questionable lyric, even though Nobody But You is better than Popular in my opinion – Cesar has an ace voice

Reply to  Leo

Right, how come EBU allowed that lyric, it’s not even insinuating anything, it’s super explicit! Or is it about getting high on a prayer or something? Because of #Lord

Leo
Leo
Reply to  Whisker

I read articles from Ciara Knight on Joe.ie and Alex Finnis of iNews on this lyric, and suspecting it of being a drug reference (and Australia’s We Got Love spreading a dangerous message by saying “Love is stronger than fire”) which is why I find this line funny even though he sings it amazingly.

Reply to  Leo

Love is stronger than fire is not a great lyric!

Leo
Leo
Reply to  Whisker

Imagine applying it to real life. The Knight one was also funny towards Fuego, saying (Foureira) “takes more than paracetamol to numb the pain of everyday life” whilst Finnis’ translation of Bushpepa’s lyrics likened him to sacrificing a child and smothering himself in its blood.

Reply to  Whisker

I don’t think it’s drugs, or God…it’s love.

Reply to  Jonas

I can see that! For sure it must involve some friction. All is forgiven! #amen

Hellohi
Hellohi

14 , 15 and 12 .. many of the rest I would rather forget

Leo
Leo

Sax guy (2017) was the best, followed by Cesar the next year (even though the opening lyrics of Nobody But You are some of the most questionable in the ESC’s history)

Last edited 2 months ago by Leo
Con b
Con b

How ironic that Sergey finishes 3rd ….again ?

Tibor
Tibor

I feel like we’ve had this poll before … May I suggest a favourite 5th or 8th place poll? Because some really bad songs came third and I don’t want to get into the same tiresome discussions over and over again … So I’m not gonna. 😉 My clear favourite is Zlata Ognevich, for me personally she was tied to win this thing in 2013, but we all know how that panned out. The second song I still listen to is Paula Seling & Ovi’s “Playing with fire”. It hasn’t aged too well, but I think it’s still catchy, I… Read more »

Reply to  Tibor

Who was your unmatched favourite that got shockingly axed in the semis?

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  Whisker

Malcolm Lincoln. Damn you, televote! 😉

sangfreudx
sangfreudx
Reply to  Tibor

2010 was my first Eurovision, and “Siren” stood out to me, too. Not my winner, but for sure it deserved to go to the final, so unique. I just re-watched that semi-final the other day, and it totally holds up. I think the staging was a little too arch, and that probably left a lot of people cold.

Tibor
Tibor
Reply to  sangfreudx

You’re right, it’s one of the rare instances where I accept the explanation that the staging is to blame for their failure, it made them look like a joke act. Yet, there was nothing wrong with the music and nothing wrong with the performance. The freakin’ butterflies qualified over them! Damn you, televote!

Reply to  Tibor

That one is for Eurovision connoisseurs! What a stand out!

Ieva
Ieva
Reply to  Tibor

Oh my god, Siren is my favourite ESC song of all time!! It’s amazing to find other people appreciating it.

Again, I have no major issues with this line-up. My all time favorites have to be Italy in 2015 and Sweden in 2014, but I think that all of them had good songs. In some cases, I’d place them lower than in top 5, but they were still mostly all left side finishers for me. 2010 – I think it’s a solid song, but I actually placed it just outside of my top 20 of 2010. 2011 – One of the rare really good songs in a subpar year, so good for him. 2012 – This is really a touching… Read more »

Last edited 2 months ago by Colin
NickC
NickC

Here are my thoughts: 1- 2018 Austria: My pick for the gold. This is the only song I still listen. 2- 2014 Sweden: One of the best 3rd placers in history. Great song, great singer, great staging. 3- 2016 Russia: Great performance, but I think the right song won that year. 4- 2012 Serbia:. It was a great song, it just lacked that special “oomph” Lane Moje or Leila had. 5- 2015 Italy: I never understood why juries hate pop-opera.I like it, I just do not love it as much as others. 6- 2011 Sweden: I know I will have… Read more »

Stan
Stan

Cesár Sampson (Austria) & Sanna Nielsen (Sweden).

Italy and Serbia.