Eurovision Fifth Place Acts 2010s

This year at wiwibloggs we are celebrating the festive season with a series of different polls. We’ll be stuffing your stockings with a selection of Eurovision votes throughout the holidays. Consider this a unique riff on the classic “Twelve Days of Christmas” carol.

Whether you celebrate Christmas or not, you can join us and let us know your thoughts for each and every poll. Today’s question — Who is your favourite fifth place Eurovision act of the 2010s?

Eurovision fifth place acts: 2010 to 2019

2010: Safura — “Drip Drop” (Azerbaijan)

2011: A Friend in London — “New Tomorrow” (Denmark)

2012: Rona Nishliu — “Suus” (Albania)

2013: Dina Garipova — “What If” (Russia)

2014: András Kállay-Saunders — “Running” (Hungary)

2015: Guy Sebastian — “Tonight Again” (Australia)

2016: Frans — “If I Were Sorry” (Sweden)

2017: Robin Bengtsson — “I Can’t Go On” (Sweden)

2018: Ermal Meta & Fabrizio Moro — “Non mi avete fatto niente” (Italy)

2019: John Lundvik — “Too Late for Love” (Sweden)

Poll: Who is your favourite fifth place Eurovision act of the 2010s?

[crowdsignal poll=10700972]

Check out more of our polls here.

Andi
Andi
1 year ago

Yessss, thanks to my vote Rona is the only #1 now :D. What a tight race.

Catriona Colville
Catriona Colville
1 year ago

Suus is one of the best songs in ESC history.

mark dowd
mark dowd
1 year ago

If Azerbaijan 2010 had had a decent late draw, it’d have been top three…no way a song like that would be a show opener in the 2020s

Anita
Anita
1 year ago

Every time I watch the performance of Rona Nishliu with Suus I get captivated completely.

Last edited 1 year ago by Anita
btw
btw

Sweden 2016 because he is handsome, and Safura because of song

Polegend Godgarina
1 year ago

y’all aren’t ready to admit it but “if i were sorry” aged like fine wine

Sam
Sam
1 year ago

Totally agree!! One of the few ESC that stood the test of time and are played in the radio much more often than many expected!

1 year ago

They’re all good in different ways, yet they all didn’t win for good reasons. 2012 was the most technically impressive, with those huge vocals. But what was “Suus” actually about? Answers on a postcard. The songs that make me feel the most are 2014 and 2018. I think Italy 2018 might have done even better if listeners had more time to understand the power of the song, whereas 2014 had a slight advantage with the message being so clear and impactful. Not really fair for 2013 to be last, since Dina gave a perfect performance, and the song is very… Read more »

Marcelo
Marcelo
1 year ago

Italy, Hungary or Australia for me. Never got into the “Suus” fanwagon but I can see why people like that song. Others are just ranging from almost good to just meh.

Stephanie
Stephanie
1 year ago

Are you guys gonna hate me if I say that I voted for Friend in London? I actually didn’t know the song, but I do like it! And Frans, he should have been dead last…. so boring!!!!

Stan
Stan

Robin Bengtsson (Sweden).

Miguel
Miguel
1 year ago

Not the strongest group of songs.
Guy and Dina are the best for me.

Preuss
Preuss
1 year ago

Guy Sebastian was too good for Eurovision. And it might be the only song from recent years where I can listen to the live performance, studio version, live performance without being much bothered because Guy’s that good of a live singer. People only talk about Dami and Kate from Australia, but Guy was incredible too.

Sara-Stina
Sara-Stina
Reply to  Preuss

I’d say John Lundvik is up there too. He’s even better I think live because the studio version is a bit too produced on his voice

My Top 3:
1: Azerbaijan 2010
2. Denmark 2011
3: Hungary 2014

1 year ago

I liked Russia in 2013 as well. It’s still in my top 15. The song has a nice message and Dina’s performance was very classy. I know that having a peace song isn’t necessarily new, but if one avoids being too sappy, it can work. That video clip was excessively cheesy, though. 😉

I was very surprised to see Albania in top 5 as well. As I recall, ”My top” videos on You Tube usually put her in bottom 5 before the contest. It’s certainly a risky song, but it has an undeniable strength on stage.

Last edited 1 year ago by Colin
Reply to  Colin

I agree about the discrepancy between how many fans see What if and A Million Voices. There’s not a big difference when it comes to general acceptance with the European audiences and juries (5th / 2nd place in the contest). I find both songs quite good. As you said, melodically they are both strong and lyrically, while both slightly flirt with being cheesy, IMHO neither crosses that fine line*, remaining cute and uplifting instead. 🙂

• see Armenia’s Lonely Planet for that. 🙂
Last edited 1 year ago by Colin
1 year ago

I voted for 2012 through 2015, with 2015 topping the list for me. Guy Sebastian was just phenomenal that year. This will probably be a very close poll, though. I would be interested in knowing the percentage of ballots that voted for each entry, instead of the percentage received from the total number of votes (i.e., did 50% of ballots include a vote for Guy Sebastian etc… no way to tell by this metric). I think it used to be that way on this site years ago, but it was changed because people didn’t understand what the numbers meant. Either… Read more »

Srdjan30
Srdjan30
1 year ago

Hungary 2014 is my favourite and is so underrated in this poll.

sam
sam
1 year ago

please tell me how australia is currently winning???

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  sam

bcos its a bop that is sung amazingly well

Happy New Year everyone! 🙂

About these downvotes, I don’t know who’s doing it, but it will go away eventually. I just upvoted every comment here, regardless of whether I agree with the song picks or not. If everyone does the same, soon we’ll balance out the downvotes and get back to the neutral state.

Last edited 1 year ago by Colin
sam
sam

none of these songs can even compare to the AMAZING SUUS BY RONA NISHLIU

Héctor
Héctor
1 year ago

Denmark 2011 obviously. Anthemic.

Hungary 2014 was good too. And I did like Sweden 2016, 2017 and Italy 2018. That would be my top 5.

what’s up with the downvotes? Troll attack? :s

Last edited 1 year ago by Jo.
Linus
Linus
Reply to  Jo.

russians. it always is.

FanESC
FanESC

Sweden 2019. #HateMe

Richie
Richie
1 year ago

1.Hungary 2014 (my Winner 2014)
2.Albania 2012 (my third 2012)
3.Italy 2018 (my fifth 2018)

Felix
Felix
1 year ago

I am usually a fierce opponent of Eurovision haters, but this list if songs has one which I find myself irrationally angered by. I genuinely feeI the need to say that I’m generally a very positive person. However, I don’t understand the hype of Azerbaijan 2010. It’s one of my least favourite Azeri entries. The lyrics are trite, and I find the vocals to sound pretty strained. I can remember it being a favourite to win and it still confuses me haha. Azerbaijan in other years has some of my favourite entries, and I’ve liked Safura’s work outside of the… Read more »

1 year ago

“Non mi avete fatto niente” is a masterpiece, my favorite of the list. But I’ve also voted for “Suus”, that performance was unforgettable and unique.

Linus
Linus
1 year ago

if Robin was from Slovenia and John from San Marino. Would they get your votes then? We all know they would. its ALWAYS the Sweden thing in here. Sad.

Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Linus

It’s the way that not a single person has talked bad about Sweden in this comment section and yet you feel the need to bring this supposed anti-Sweden conspiracy up.

waitaminuteholdon
waitaminuteholdon
Reply to  Linus

Some countries unfortunately get votes for being them instead for the song, it’s how it’s always been.

1 year ago

Italy 2018 – another example of the juries being idiots, they had it at 17th.

Reply to  Jonas

I would say the biggest example ever, since the televote gave it more support than anyone was probably expecting.

Reply to  Sabrina

I think the commentators and social media helped the viewers at home to understand the meaning behind the song, something the jurors didn’t have – but still…idiots.

Reply to  Jonas

Also, the lyrics in different languages on the screen certainly helped to convey the message and increase it impact, even if aesthetically they were taken by many people as a little aggressive. By rewatching it now, it’s really touching when you see some strong words in the languages you can understand. So, even less space for the juries to defend themselves about what they did to this one.

Reply to  Jonas

1,000,000 upvotes right there.

Reply to  Whisker

Seems like nearly everybody is getting mysteriously downvoted instead…

Reply to  Jonas

I don’t care about the downvotes, bwahahaahaaaa. I’m challenging that person to give me 1,000,000 downvotes.

Reply to  Whisker

It turns out you were already anticipating the troll would attack and gave your comment 1,000,000 points of advantage. 😛

1 year ago

Italy by far, then Hungary and Albania.

Italy 2018 by far.
What a song. What a performance.

Last edited 1 year ago by Alex
Sale
Sale
1 year ago

Def suus, one of the best vocal performances on eurovision

ITALY 2018!

1 year ago

Italy 2018 and Hungary 2014 are my absolute winners in this category. 🙂 Both songs are dark, deep and upsetting in all the right ways. I love some cute uplifting songs just as much, but sometimes I need to hear these kind of messages. Denmark is in my top 5 in 2011, cause this was one of the occasions where their endless optimism actually paid off and felt radiant and uplifting instead of dull. 🙂 I find the other seven songs ranging from okay to good as well. I know that Albania 2012 will probably win this, cause it’s a… Read more »