This year Portuguese broadcaster RTP is handing power to the people at Festival Da Canção, its national selection for Eurovision. There are no regional juries, which means televoters alone will determine who will win sing at ESC.

We’re sure they would appreciate a little advice, and that’s where you come in. You can listen to each of the competing acts below. Then vote in our poll. You can vote for as many contestants as you’d like, but you can only vote ONE time, so make it count. This poll will close on March 14 at midnight.

Will this finally be the moment for Rui Andrade, after failing to make it in 2011 and 2012? Or can Zana ruin Rui’s party with her ‘Nas asas da sorte’? Perhaps Suzy can persuade you since ‘she wants to be yours’ (Quero ser tua)? Or are you more into Catarina’s ‘Mea culpa’ or in to Raquels’ ‘Sonhos roubados?’

Festival Da Canção finalists:

1. Catarina Pereira – Mea Culpa (My fault)

2. Raquel Guerra – Sonhos roubados (Stolen dreams)

3. Rui Andra – Ao tue encontro (To meet you)

4. Suzy – Quero ser tua (I want to be yours)

5. Zana – Nas asas da sorte (On the wings of luck)

Festival Da Canção poll:

Daphne Dee contributed this report from Belgium. Follow her on Twitter @JacinthaD1. You can also keep up-to-date with the latest Eurovision news and gossip by following the team on Twitter @wiwibloggs and by liking our Facebook page

suzy will win
suzy will win

LARA AFONSO

Beaulah
Beaulah
6 years ago

Suzy you are fabulous and I am definitely voting for you to represent Portugal.Awesome song and great music.Thanks Jo for putting Eugene UK on his place. Shooo !!!!who made him an unqualified judge wanker!

John Dior
John Dior

Definitively Catarina!

Jo
Jo
6 years ago

Eugene UK if you want to criticize please do but in a constructive way. WE’RE PORTUGUESE AND WE HAVE OUR OWN LANGUAGE FOR A REASON!!!
We hear you once, there’s no need to go around other major Eurovision websites and say crap, just keep your mouth shut because you aren’t even a judge and don’t say that you’re giving your opinion because your NOT! At least Portugal keeps its culture and sings in its own language, we show Europe who we really are no matter if we qualify or not to the final!! PORTUGAL ALL THE WAY!

Kris
Kris

Zana for sure

Francel
Francel

Catarina goes to Copenhague. Maybe we have winner this year…..Lisbon 2015

Thiefo
Thiefo
6 years ago

Rui’s song reminds me of Portugal 2010, in the sense that I think both sound like out of a Disney soundtrack ;P
I’m rooting for Rui, disney-ish sound and all 🙂

Helena
Helena
6 years ago

Suzy you rock! Like the song, the beat and the voice! You go girl. We love you!

Mila UK
Mila UK

Suzy Suzy Suzy!!!!!

Miguel Angel
Miguel Angel
6 years ago

Catara is the best!!! Please Portugal vote for her, she has the better song!!

Gerard
Gerard
6 years ago

To Mr Eugene UK and Henrique your critics and futile comments contains empty substance.You want to crit give constructive criticism-sureif there is a reverse role you both would not stand a flying chance to qualify for the top 5 of the finals.Make yourselves useful and reserve your comments the actual qualified and experienced judges.Tarts!!!!

Chris
Chris
6 years ago

If Catarina’s song ‘Mea Culpa’ goes to Copenhagen, it will instantly get lost amidst the other female artists in the first semi-final. Better to send Riu Andrade…!

henrique
henrique
6 years ago

Not crazy about Uk’s entry this year either I’m afraid. Not fond of the anthemic side of it… Hungary is nice, very radio friendly and commercial, but lyrics are really untasteful and make cringe.
Carl Espen is something else alright, hoping it gets chosen so that will probably be my favourite entry this year!

6 years ago

Hi Henrique I try and go on first impressions as on the night the majority of voters only hear the song once. I do not have enough for a top 10 either?!?! We differ in opinion. In the “really something special” category I would put forward only 3 songs…………..Sweden, Hungary and the UK. (Yes I am from the UK but I don’t usually “wax lyrical” about UK entries, for obvious reasons, but this year it is something special in my view.) I would add Carl Epsen’s “Silent Storm” to these if it gets through and await the final few entries.… Read more »

henrique
henrique
6 years ago

Well, Eugene, I believe we all think the same every year round. Later on we sort of get more used to the songs, they grow some kind of character on us and we learn to like them a bit more. They also get revamps, and final stagings do usually help. I would however consider myself lucky were I to find a personal top 10 (let alone a top 15!) of really good songs 🙂 So far I’ve only got a top 4!, Albania and Italy which i really like, Poland because it’s daring and original, – shame it isn’t a… Read more »

6 years ago

Hi Henrique, many thanks for your comments.

I don’t know what it is about this year, when you are looking for REALLY special ORIGINAL songs, there are very few about so far and apart from Norway which has some really decent songs, the National Finals to come do not offer much in terms of world beaters. (Or Europe even.) To me it’s shaping up to be a very good top 10 or 15 and then a lot of very average songs.

Not many seem to really want it this year!!!!

henrique
henrique
6 years ago

Eugene, Suzy’s song represents the trashiest king of music presnt in Portuguese musical scene. Typical sounds and instrumentation, poor use of the Portuguese language in the lyrics. It’s usually played in countriy fairs and morning tv shows. It is unfortunately very popular among the old and the ignorant (I apologize for my bluntness). The song’s author is extremely prolific and stands as a sort of tycoon of the genre, thus having loads of fans. This song is a major contender for the win next saturday and it will indeed be an embarrassment for us. Sadly, none of the other songs… Read more »

henrique
henrique
6 years ago

Laura, que fact that UK’s contributions to ESC are poor doesn’t excuse our own being poor as well.
I sure would like to think that I can comment on any entry I wish without my nationality and its ESC songs being called for. If that were so, only citizens of successful countries would be entitled to comment.

Eugene, of course, was totally right in his assessment.

6 years ago

Suzy seems very popular!! I’m not sure why? In my opinion this would be a complete disaster for Portugal. This is just the “The Lambda” by Kaoma (From 1989!!!) with a few changes. Portugal will definitely NOT qualify for the final with this. No originality at all. The end is shocking!!!

Alex G
Alex G
6 years ago

I believe that Suzy can win with that beautiful voice, the stage needs a little more improvement maybe more drums.

Gerard
Gerard

SUZY WAS SPECTACULAR

6 years ago

I only had time to listen to one song and I picked Rui’s… Good vocalist, and I quite like the song. Reminds me of old, sweet ballads on our family’s karaoke machine. Not everything has to be modern, especially if it’s sung well.

Nobody
Nobody
6 years ago

Hey, Portugal, it is Eurovision 2014, not 2006.

Angola
Angola
6 years ago

OUT OF ALL THE FIVE SONGS I PREFER THE SONG IF SUZY IT IS RELATIVE TO ALL AUDIENCES.THE OTHERS WERE FAIR BUT SUZY ROCKS

South Africa
South Africa
6 years ago

SUZY WE SUPPORT YOU 100% Portugal needs someone like you to set the bar and you have surely set that bar high.Wooow this girl is every bit worth voting for….Suzy is that representative and best candidate for Eurovision.

Paula
Paula
6 years ago

SUZY SUZY SUZY YOU THE WINNER OF THE 2014.That song was the highlight of the show.Beautiful girl and awesome stage presence!!!!!!Electriccc..

Niza
Niza
6 years ago

Quero ser tua-what a vibey song.Love it!!!!Suzy is the Best!!!!

Helena
Helena
6 years ago

Suzy to win….Suzy to win…..Suzy to win

Alexandre
Alexandre

YOU ARE THE STAR SUZY!!!!!! JY IS WONDERLIK!!!!! EUROVISION HERE SHE COMES

Beaulah
Beaulah
6 years ago

Suzy Rules the whole show.You go girl!!!!

DIOGOdaq
DIOGOdaq

Watch the English Version of Catarina’s “Mea Culpa”:

Robyn
Robyn
6 years ago

Damn, there’s slim pickings here. There’s not much variety in the songs and nothing really amazing stands out.

D
D
6 years ago

None of the songs are winning-quality and I can only see “Mea culpa” qualifying. Better luck in 2015 Portugal.

SJ
SJ
6 years ago

Only with Zana , Portugal in final.

Portugal
Portugal
6 years ago

I hope it’s gonna be Catarina! She was robbed in 2010!!

6 years ago

Laura – If you want me to talk about the UK I can write pages and pages, but since this is about Portugal, I can’t see anything original about “Mea Culpa” but it is the best of a bad bunch head and shoulders. Just giving an honest critique. I wish Portugal the best of course. (I hope the UK have finally turned the corner and don’t look back.)

Laura
Laura

@Eugene At least you admit it. 🙂

Neither the Portuguese have a choice. RTP usually hires bad composers and the outcome is never completely satisfying. They have a superb, modern song (“Mea Culpa”) this year. Plus, they have allies in that semi-final and a great draw as well. Let’s cross our fingers.

6 years ago

Laura – Ha ha totally agree 100%. At least the BBC have listened to complaints by the UK public about sending something more original and contemporary and they have done that and come up with something that is in the mix at least. Yes some of the UK entrants in recent years have been embarrassing to say the least and the UK public know it, but we do not get a choice.

Dar
Dar
6 years ago

Portugal will not qualify this year again..

Laura
Laura
6 years ago

@Eugene Taking into consideration that you are from the UK you indded know what are you talking about when you say “80?s or 90?s” and “very very dated” – Engelbert Humperdinck and Bonnie Tyler come to mind. The irony in that post. I just can’t!

6 years ago

Is Portugal in a time warp or something? Or do they have something in the tea over there? I’m really sorry but ALL these entries are very very poor indeed, do they still think it is ESC 80’s or 90’s. Not one original or contemporary song amongst them and all sung in Portuguese!! Very very dated, we’ve heard it all before!! It’s 2014!! One song is basically “The Lambada” (1989)!! Seems like they have targeted various regions of the world and written a song about it. Some dodgy vocals to add to everything too!! This has to take the award… Read more »

PETER
PETER
6 years ago

Zana is best choice for Portugal. Catarina has not good song as she had in 2010 at Festival da Cancao. She don t have strong vocal and all song with her sing 3 backing vocals. But because we have televote Catarina will win and than he will be flop in semi final. If we have juries nad televote Zana will win.

eduWHO
eduWHO
6 years ago

Catarina must win this. And sing a bilingual version of her song.
The english one is great!

Raul
Raul
6 years ago

In English: It’s all very bad and they not represent what we have best in my own country. RTP doesn’t take it seriously … I Think I prefer Suzy because has a hook OHOHOH

Raul
Raul
6 years ago

Acho tudo tão mau, a única que prestava não passou (a 7), que prefiro que passe a PIMBA a sério, a 10. Pelo menos tem um ohohoh no coro que toda a gente pode cantar

Jordan
Jordan
6 years ago

Catarina has to win. She was robbed in 2010!

Gian-Andri
Gian-Andri
6 years ago

Catarina just HAS to win , I can really see this going aaall the way in the actual contest , so please … votem para Catarina 😀