Last week we reported that Austrian broadcaster ORF had received 12 submissions from venues vying to host Eurovision 2015. Now Austrian newspaper Der Standard has reported that ORF has trimmed that 12 into a shortlist of seven venues in three cities:
- Wiener Stadthalle
- Schönbrunn Palace (17th century palace and a popular tourist attraction and concert venue)
- Heldenplatz public square
- Krieau race track
- St Marx Rinderhalle (former cattle market)
- Stadthalle Graz event centre
- OlympiaWorld sports and events facility
Of these venues, only Wiener Stadthalle, Stadhalle Graz and OlympiaWorld are existing venues. The other Vienna locations would require a temporary structure to be built. And sadly this shortlist means that Vienna International Airport is out of the running as the host venue.
The article adds that Innsbruck has a good chance of being selected. ORF hasn’t revealed why these seven venues have made the shortlist, but once the final decision has been made, they will explain their reasons behind the choice.