Europe’s favourite retro watch-a-long TV show is back. On Saturday, #EurovisionAgain returned for its July 2021 edition. This time, Eurovision 1980 was the classic song contest of choice.
The original competition held in The Hague saw Ireland come out on top.
As with every #EurovisionAgain, today’s fans watching online were able to vote for their favourites…and the winner was exactly the same – Ireland’s Johnny Logan with “What’s Another Year”.
Johnny Logan wins #EurovisionAgain 1980
Listed below are the results for #EurovisionAgain 1980. The rankings are based on the votes of all those who decided to vote for their favourites while rewatching the Eurovision 1980 grand final on Saturday 17 July.
In brackets, we’ve included the differences between the new fan vote and the original result from 41 years ago.
#EurovisionAgain 1980 results
- Ireland: Johnny Logan – “What’s Another Year” (=)
- Netherlands: Maggie MacNeal – “Amsterdam” (+3)
- Morocco: Samira Bensaïd – “Bitaqat Hub” (+15)
- Germany: Katja Ebstein – “Theater” (-2)
- Belgium: Telex – “Euro-Vision” (+12)
- Turkey: Ajda Pekkan – “Pet’r Oil” (+9)
- Luxembourg: Sophie & Magaly – “Papa pingouin” (+2)
- Norway: Sverre Kjelsberg & Mattis Hætta – “Sámiid ædnan” (+8)
- Switzerland: Paola – “Cinéma” (-5)
- Greece: Anna Vissi and the Epikouri – “Autostop” (+3)
- Portugal: José Cid – “Um grande, grande amor” (-4)
- France: Profil – “Hé, hé, m’sieurs dames” (-1)
- United Kingdom: Prima Donna – “Love Enough For Two” (-10)
- Spain: Trigo Limpio – “Quédate esta noche” (-2)
- Sweden: Tomas Ledin – “Just nu!” (-5)
- Italy: Alan Sorrenti – “Non so che darei” (-10)
- Denmark: Bamses Venner – “Tænker altid på dig” (-3)
- Finland: Vesa-Matti Loiri – “Huilumies” (+1)
- Austria: Blue Danube – “Du bist Musik” (-11)
#EUROVISIONAGAIN 1980 RESULTS ?
Votes have been checked and verified by Dr @Ellie_Made EurovisionAgain Exec Supervisor.
The scores from THE HAGUE Twitter jury are in ??
?IRELAND’S JOHNNY LOGAN WINS… AGAIN ???
Podium places for Morocco and Netherlands
? ?? ? ?? ? ?? pic.twitter.com/EXKIx7Gif5
— #EurovisionAgain (@EurovisionAgain) July 17, 2021
Watch Eurovision 1980 online
#EurovisionAgain may be over for now, but the Eurovision 1980 grand final remains online… for now. You can watch the full show on the official Eurovision YouTube channel. However, it is only available for one month.
But why? Before 2004, the copyright for each show belonged to the respective broadcasters. In the case of 1990, that’s the Netherland’s NOS. For now, the Dutch network has opted to make the show available only temporarily.
From 2004, the rules changed with the EBU taking over ownership of the rights. Hence, the uploads of contests from 2004 onwards have remained online.
#EurovisionAgain is scheduled to return on Saturday 21 August at 21:00 CEST for another rewatch of a classic song contest.
What is #EurovisionAgain?
Throughout the first 15 weeks of the COVID-19 pandemic, the #EurovisionAgain team organised mass rewatchings of classic contests on Saturday evenings. The EBU soon came on board and began publishing previously unavailable entire show uploads on its YouTube channel.
The rewatches have since switched to monthly affairs, now taking place on the third Saturday of each month.
As well as organising rewatches, the #EurovisionAgain team has also added a fundraising element for various LGBTQ+ charities.
For further details about the rewatches, check out the #EurovisionAgain Twitter page.
What do you think? Did Johnny Logan deserve to win the rewatch? Let us know in the comments.