Gaia Cauchi did it. Destiny Chukunyere did it too. And now Malta’s Junior Eurovision enthusiasts are hoping that 13-year-old Christina Magrin can secure the Mediterranean nation its third win at JESC, after the pint-sized dynamo won Malta’s national selection on Saturday evening.
Lil’ Christina competed against 19 other finalists in Valletta. All of them performed a cover of an iconic song, with the choices ranging from Sia’s “Titanium” to Miley Cyrus’ “Wrecking Ball.”
Christina stole the show with her version of “No More Tears” (Enough is Enough) — the high-octane duet originally performed by Barbara Streisand and Donna Summer in 1979.
The number showcased her impressive range and big set of lungs, but also her ability to strut and pout and put on a show. Watch as she works the purple tutu realness. We’re getting major shades of Armenia’s Betty…
— Christina Magrin (@ChristinaMagrin) July 16, 2016
The result was determined by a jury, who accounted for 75% of the overall score, and televoters, who made up the remaining 25%.
Christina will now work with composers to create the perfect JESC song. We’d expect her to team up with JESC songwriting sensations Matthew “Muxu” Mercieca and Elton Zarb — the brains behind the winning songs “The Start” and “Not My Soul” — but we have nothing on record about that.
Christina has slayed Eurovision covers previously. Here she is owning Rona Nishliu’s 2012 song “Suus” on the fifth season of the Romanian singing contest “The Next Star”.
JESC 2016 FINALISTS
- FIFTH ELEMENT, DIVA DANCE – Miguel Bonello
- LISTEN – Kira Copperstone
- SEE YOU AGAIN – Dylan Curmi
- DEAR FUTURE HUSBAND – Francesca Dimech
- AND I AM TELLING YOU – Layla Fitouri
- IN LOVE WITH A MONSTER – Fusion
- TITANIUM – Francesca Grima
- GLITTER & GOLD – Krista Hili
- I SURRENDER – Rachel Lowell
- WHEN WE WERE YOUNG – Kaylie Magri
- NO MORE TEARS – Christina Magrin
- LISTEN – Eila Mangion
- BRING HIM HOME – Cledia Micallef
- THE SILENCE – Alexia Micallef
- WRECKING BALL – Luana Mifsud
- I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU – Veronica Rotin
- I’D RATHER GO BLIND – Justine Shorfid
- AT LAST – Lisa-Marie Tabone
- ALL I ASK – Mariah-Nicola Vella
- HOLLOW – Chanelle Zarb