Daði og Gagnamagnið Iceland Eurovision 2020 Think About Things

He was one of the break-out acts of the sadly cancelled Eurovision 2020. But Iceland’s Daði Freyr has confirmed that he’s willing to return to Eurovision 2021. However, the “Think About Things” singer says he would only do it if broadcaster RÚV internally selects him.

Daði Freyr opened up in an interview with German newspaper Berliner Zeitung. He talked about how his life has changed since the success of “Think About Things” — and whether Daði og Gagnamagnið will make a return in 2021.

Daði told the newspaper that nothing has been confirmed for 2021 — but he is willing to return. But Daði is clear that he doesn’t want to go through the Söngvakeppnin national final process again.

But it’s for good reason. He explained (in German) that he just wants to focus on Eurovision:

“The only way we’ll be going is if they send us straight to Eurovision. […] I want to compete, but it’s just so much work to do the Icelandic competition, and at this point, it doesn’t really make sense for me to do that whole thing again. If we can go straight to Eurovision, we can focus on that the whole time instead of having to split the focus.”

Daði revealed that he already has some ideas for a 2021 entry, including potential staging for the song. And he’s serious about giving Iceland its first Eurovision win:

“I’m going to try to win – but I’ve got to make a song that’s got the goods to go high in the competition first […] If we can go with our group of friends to Eurovision and take home a trophy, that would be a good story. But the point is not to win. We’re going to aim for the win — but we’ll expect less.”

But he won’t have long to wait to find out Iceland’s plans for 2021. Daði told Berliner Zeitung that he expected to hear from RÚV “in the next few days”.

Will Daði og Gagnamagnið represent Iceland at Eurovision 2021?

Icelandic broadcaster RÚV has confirmed that Iceland will participate in Eurovision 2021, however the broadcaster has not released any details about how Iceland’s entry for Rotterdam will be selected.

In recent years, RÚV has confirmed details of their national final Söngvakeppnin in mid-September. The broadcaster usually accepts entries from mid-September to mid-October. As things are, it is too late for RÚV to use this timeline again, suggesting that the broadcaster may have other plans for 2021.

Fans have also noticed that Daði’s hectic 2021 tour schedule has nothing booked for the month of May. The tour ends in London on 30 April and resumes in Berlin on 2 June. This suggests that Daði may be keeping the month free for a possible Eurovision participation.

But when a fan asked Daði about the empty month, he simply responded “me-time”.

What do you think? Should Iceland internally select Daði og Gagnamagnið for Eurovision 2021? Or should the broadcaster hold its usual national final? Tell us your thoughts below!

Read more Iceland Eurovision news here

poe-tay-toe-chips
poe-tay-toe-chips
19 days ago

90% sure he’s returning. It’d be foolish to not have him again after being one of the favorites to win this year. He cleared out the entire month of May. This man KNOWS he’s going to be asked to come back any day now.

Last edited 19 days ago by poe-tay-toe-chips
Polegend Godgarina
Polegend Godgarina

the threat continues

Ashton
Ashton

what threat

19 days ago

He is a smart guy! He knows that he had a big hit this year and he doesn’t want everyone to have high expectations for next year.

Iceland will definitely select him for 2021, he even managed to have free time in May next year.

19 days ago

I love the conviction on his face plus body language in that top pic!

Micky
Micky
20 days ago

#DadiFor2021

20 days ago

Aly Ryan go out of this body! 🙂

20 days ago
Reply to  Esc addict

We definetely can’t joke here, it’s heavy, relax guys take a breathe

Reply to  Esc addict

It’s a bad comparison. He doesn’t have anywhere near Aly Ryan’s attitude problem.

Reply to  Joe

Not the end of the world , just a simple joke cause Aly said the same thing about Germany, she wanted to be selected internally, but the humor is not a speciality here…. guys don’t take yourselves too seriously, I repeat, breathe.

Reply to  Esc addict

I have a sense of humor. Just didn’t think it was that funny. Nothing offensive to my sensibilities, just not that funny.

Reply to  Joe

A little sense of humor then, anyway I don’t care, I assume for me it was funny, and I can see the funny and ironic similarities between Aly and Dadi, omg people here are so sad, DEPRESSING.

Reply to  Esc addict

Don’t take it personally. We all make bad jokes here and there. What matters is that you found it funny!

Reply to  Joe

Bad joke? You’re funny you are the absolute judge of what is a good or a bad joke? I know exactly what I wanted to mean with this joke, but I won’t explain more cause it won’t please the so much serious sad and monotonous wiwibloggs community and I don’t want to disturb them more. 🙂

Last edited 19 days ago by Esc addict
Reply to  Esc addict

Never seen someone get that defensive over one joke that didn’t land. If you think the Wiwi community can’t take a joke, you just gotta work on the material!

Reply to  Joe

I give up this blog is definetely not for everybody, I didn’t know I could be hated for a joke, I thought the wiwibloggs community was more friendly, open, and fun.

Last edited 19 days ago by Esc addict
Ashton
Ashton
Reply to  Esc addict

yikes this thread is weird

18 days ago
Reply to  Ashton

Isn’t it though?

20 days ago

Wouldn’t RUV have opened up their submissions by now if Songvakeppnin was going ahead as planned? It’s not unheard-of for Iceland to do internal selections (heck, that gave us “All Out of Luck,” their joint-best finish), and seeing the potential goldmine they have if Dadi comes back, I’d be surprised if they didn’t pick him again.

ita
ita
20 days ago
Reply to  Joe

Selma was selected internally in 2005 as well. It’s like they have a knack to hire her if she has a song

Reply to  ita

That hunch sadly didn’t pay off so much in 2005.

Reply to  Joe

Too much? Joe! It didn’t qualify!!!

19 days ago

I said it didn’t pay off so much. In that it didn’t qualify. So getting her back on the basis of her previous result alone was a bad call.

19 days ago

Czechia 2019 and 2020 comes to mind. Support local artists and still have a NF.
*But* I think that DF and his friends deserve a shot at representing Iceland in 2021. Almost all countries with a huge chance of winning (except for Lithuania and possibly Italy that have not confirmed artist or selection) have retained their artists from 2020.

19 days ago

It all kind of depends on how beloved the particular Eurovision selection show is, which also is in proportion to the size of the country and how much they value doing well at Eurovision. For the Scandinavian and Baltic countries, their selection shows are as much a beloved national institution as the contest itself. That’s why acts that had a strong chance (like the Roop, the Mamas, and Ulkrikke) aren’t getting a second go by default: people might be upset at them not going, but the alternative is no (to use the most famous example) Melodifestivalen, which is even worse… Read more »

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Joe

These are all excellent points. I wonder if a compromise might be to give Dadi the ticket, but have Icelanders give the final verdict on his song, like in Romania or Israel this year. Given that Iceland’s pool of songs in a NF is smaller than in Sweden or Portugal usually, a smaller NF focused on one artist wouldn’t be too out of step with regular practice. I think Lithuania had the best approach – give the Roop a guarantee of being finalists in a multi-stage selection, and compensate them financially (around 20,000 euros I believe). Of course, it’s essential… Read more »

Reply to  Azaad

I think Dadi said he’d be willing to compromise on competing in a national final if he did all the songs. And Lithuania was great – I’m obviously sad the Roop didn’t get a guaranteed slot, but their being selected at all was the result of an incredible national final, the best Lithuania’s had in years. It’d be a shame to lose that, although I’d also be sad to lose the Roop.

Nicky
Nicky
Reply to  Joe

Dadi is kinda thinking he’s some sort of god to them, i never liked him, but this arrogance i hope he never gets to perform on eurovision stage now

i find Eythor, Pollaponk, Hatari way better past esc alumni from iceland

i don’t care about dull snooze think about things, way too overhyped too, his boring monotone voice

18 days ago
Reply to  Nicky

You haven’t figured out how to leave a non-troll comment yet, have you? Also, let’s break it down point by point: Is Dadi really arrogant? I think he makes a fair point: if he’s asked to do Eurovision, he’ll be happy to do it again, but if not, he’s glad he had the opportunity and has already received a level of exposure usually only winners get. He wouldn’t want to compete against other artists since it’d be a tiring process and there’s no guarantee he’d be picked again. That’s just your opinion, but I think it’s odd that you find… Read more »

Last edited 18 days ago by Joe