Christmas has come and gone, and so has our Eurovision advent calendar. But January doesn’t have to be a downer. In fact, it’s going to be a party as we celebrate the new year — and the 24 winners of our various Eurovision polls from December.
On January 3 Belgium kicked off its Eurosong 2016 national selection. And by golly — it’s the same day we closed our poll asking, “Which Eurovision 2016 national selection are you most excited for?” After receiving a total of 2,542 votes, we are pleased to reveal that Melodifestivalen has won in a landslide. SVT’s much-ballyhooed selection show received 566 votes, or more than 22% of all those cast.
Sweden’s six-week national selection, which kicks off on February 6 in Gothenburg, features major star power this year. Ace Wilder, Molly Sanden, and Viktor & Samir are just three of the 28 Melodifestivalen 2016 acts competing for the chance to sing on home soil at Eurovision. And then there’s Krista Siegfrids, one of Finland’s top exports after smoked fish. She will have to take a week off of her UMK hosting duties to make Melfest work — and werk. You can watch our previews of all four semi-finals below.
Estonia’s Eesti Laul, which hopes to recast itself as the Melodifestivalen of the East, finished second with 229 votes, or around 9% of all those cast. This year’s line-up includes two songs composed by Eurovision veterans. Stig Rästa returns as one of two composers for Jüri Pootsmann and his entry “Play”. And 2014 representative Tanja, who hinted to us that she would come back earlier this year, returns as one of the composers for La La Ladies and their entry “Unikaalne”. Check out the full list of participants.
Norway’s Melodi Grand Prix, Italy’s Sanremo Song Festival, and Denmark’s Dansk Melodi Grand Prix round out the Top 5. And while our readers are gagging for those selections, they really aren’t feeling some of the others. The bottom three selections — Lithuania’s “Eurovizijos” dainu konkurso nacionaline atranka, Moldova’s O melodie pentru Europa and Austria’s Wer singt für Österreich? all received 40 votes or fewer.
How did your favourite selection do?
Poll results: Which Eurovision 2016 selection are you most excited for?
- Sweden – Melodifestivalen 22.27% (566 votes)
- Estonia – Eesti Laul 9.01% (229 votes)
- Norway – Melodi Grand Prix 7.67% (195 votes)
- Italy – Sanremo Song Festival 6.29% (160 votes)
- Denmark – Dansk Melodi Grand Prix 5.9% (150 votes)
- Finland – Uuden Musiikin Kilpailu (UMK) 5.9% (150 votes)
- Latvia – Supernova 5.15% (131 votes)
- Slovenia – Evrovizijska Melodija (EMA) 3.97% (101 votes)
- Iceland – Söngvakeppnin 3.86% (98 votes)
- Germany 3.82% (97 votes)
- Hungary – A Dal 3.7% (94 votes)
- Ukraine 3.66% (93 votes)
- Switzerland – Die Entscheidungsshow 3.07% (78 votes)
- Malta 3.03% (77 votes)
- Albania – Festivali i Këngës 2.91% (74 votes)
- Belgium – Eurosong 2.44% (62 votes)
- Israel – HaKokhav HaBa Le Erovizyon 1.89% (48 votes)
- Belarus 1.77% (45 votes)
- Lithuania – “Eurovizijos” dainu konkurso nacionaline atranka 1.57% (40 votes)
- Moldova – O melodie pentru Europa 1.3% (33 votes)
- Austria – Wer singt für Österreich? 0.82% (21 votes)
Total Votes: 2,542