She was touted as Azerbaijan’s Eurovision act two days ago. And now it has been confirmed that Samira Efendi will represent Azerbaijan at Eurovision 2020 in Rotterdam.

The news was announced through the official Eurovision channels:

Efendi also shared the announcement on her Instagram account, writing “I am very proud and happy to represent Azerbaijan in the Eurovision Song Contest this year. Thank you to everyone who believes in me and supports me! I will try my best to make it unforgettable.”

No details have been confirmed about Efendi’s song for Rotterdam. Earlier in the week, it was reported that Dutch songwriters Tony Cornelissen and Luuk van Beers had been in Baku working on a song for her.

While Azerbaijan has always sent English-language songs to Eurovision, Efendi’s strengths lie in Azeri-language songs, which suggests an ethnic ballad may be more suited to her style.

Her song for Eurovision 2020 will be released in coming days.

Who is Samira Efendi?

Samira Efendi may be familiar to Eurovision fans as one of the five singers shortlisted as Azerbaijan’s act for Eurovision 2019. While Efendi missed out to Chingiz, it seems like she still made a good impression on the broadcaster.

In 2014, Efendi competed in Azerbaijan’s national final Böyük Səhnə. She made it to the third heat, where she was eliminated just before the grand final. But her three performances on the show proved Efendi is an experienced performer with a strong voice.

Most recently, Efendi has released the single “Yol Ayrici”. It’s a modern electronic pop track, where Efendi sings of being at the crossroads of a relationship, not knowing whether to give up on love. The song has traditional elements and Efendi shows off her rich vocal style as well. She also delivers a sultry rap, showing she’s truly a versatile performer.

Broadcaster Ictimai says Samira Efendi was selected from a short list of five acts.

The other four in contention were Laman Dadasheva, Elvin Novruzov, Jabrail Rasulov and Riad Abdulov.

In the end, Samira Efendi was chosen by an international jury, which included music producers, composers, television industry professionals and journalists.

What do you think of the news? Will Samira do Azerbaijan proud? Let us know in the comments below!

Read more Azerbaijan Eurovision 2020 news here

Rashad
Rashad

I don’t know if it’s true or not, but the local media claims that the chosen song is called Scars. Another alternative was Cleopatra, but they chose the Scars. And both the song and the music video will be released by March 10.

Saint
Saint
Reply to  Rashad

And its a BALLAD ??

esclove
esclove
Reply to  Rashad

where do you see the claim? im hoping its not true

Ma Ma Mia
Ma Ma Mia
Reply to  Rashad
hebbuzz
hebbuzz

Auch, in the shared clip she almost constantly sings off pitch with a bravoure as if shes a great singer. She is sadly not that gifted,just dramatizing her screams. Its a pain to the ears.

Gang
Gang

Wow really nice

Kirby
Kirby

As long as it’s not another “Aisel” with a song penned by Mr G:Son…

Eurovisionfan12
Eurovisionfan12

Sadly the Azeri music industry is extremely small, so it would be difficult for native composers to compete with bigger ones when Azerbaijan allows international composers to send in songs

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl

Finally we know the Azeri contestant. Since we know when Ireland is going to announce their act and song on March 5, Russia and San Marino are the only countries that have not revealed any information about their contestants yet.

Nicolas
Nicolas
Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

Rumors for Russia is a singer named Alexander Panayotov.

Olivia Mac Arthur
Olivia Mac Arthur
Reply to  Nicolas

I think he said that was ‘fake news’. So likely not him.

Tom
Tom
Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

Russia will be announces at the end of february

BadWoolfGirl
BadWoolfGirl
Reply to  Tom

Which is tomorrow.

Reply to  BadWoolfGirl

I don’t even care about San Marino and Russia anymore. My ears are full with all the exciting developments of the past days and the upcoming song releases/selections/finals of this weekend. Dazvi and arivdci!

I heard a couple of songs in Azeri and loved them and her voice. Indeed special, like someone said on another thread. An Azeri language song would be brilliant! Song release in the coming days so something nice to wait for. 🙂

Mr X
Mr X

I fear that it will be another entry written by Suedes/Milanov. But in the same semi finale there are already songs with ethnic flair, Ukraine and probably Israel. In this case it doesn´t really matter.

I don´t like the Bieber sounding song from Germany, but UK is surprisingly quite good this year.

Nikki
Nikki

The only thing I want from Azerbaijan is to go full ethno one day. Come on, put some Azeri on my spotify Eurovision playlist

Samira Efendi will be one to watch. She could be a winner if the song is good.

EuroSluuuuuutty
EuroSluuuuuutty

An ethnic BALLAD!? ummm no thnx. I’m already dissapointed *acting overly too dramatic*
#ChainsOnYou is on repeat tho, that bish slaps *cough cough*

Erik
Erik

Chains on you is my favourite so far right now. It has grown for me. I still want an Azeri languaged song. Mainly because I like turkic languages so much

Rashad
Rashad

She’s a great vocalist. I’m honestly 100% happy with the choice. I know that they are already working on a song with ethnic sounds. These two Dutch songwriters started following Shahriyar Imanov, an amazing Tar master as well. https://youtu.be/mLTmFY_wiP8 So far, everything seems promising. I know I’ve said it before, but I do really hope the song will be in Azeri, because Samira puts her soul into songs that are in Azeri. I don’t remember any non-English songs winning in the recent years except for Molitva and Amar pelos dois. So why not have another non-English winner? 🙂

Serafina
Serafina
Reply to  Rashad

Valid points
You should sit on my face just in case

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Rashad

Absolutely – why not ???? This is originally the spirit and the soul of Eurovision.

“Amar pelos dois” is one my favourites of ESC ever and I even understand a little bit of wonderful portuguese language.

Vilius Hideo
Vilius Hideo
Reply to  Rashad

1000% agree with You!!! Better song will be in Azerbayçan language 🙂 So happy that She will represent Azerbayçan finally my dream comes true 🙂 wish soung could be between Sen Gelende, Kepenek and Yol Ayrici styles 🙂

Ezzz
Ezzz

I would absolutely love if Azerbaijan sent a song in Azeri, with a traditional ethnic sound, like they did in 2012 which got them a great result, just so we can move away from the same English songs every single tear, to bring some diversity instead would be nice.

Narin Narin
Narin Narin
Reply to  Ezzz

It won’t. Recently in the interview the head of delegation mentioned that there’s no sense to send a song in Azerbaijani

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  Narin Narin

That’s sad.

KESC
KESC
Reply to  Narin Narin

When did she say that? Do you have any source?

Nicolas
Nicolas
Reply to  Narin Narin

And what sense it is for a country to participate and sending every year a generic pop song in english written by foreigners ??

Mr X
Mr X
Reply to  Nicolas

Just like Germany, Poland and this year even France. This fact is one of the reasons that I lost a lot of enthusiasm in ESC especially in the last five, six years.

Polegend Godgarina

their debut entry from 2008 remains their best (after sabina babayeva) and it was 100% written, composed and produced by azeris

KESC
KESC

For me their best entry is When the Music Dies along with Always and Skeletons

Reply to  KESC

Skeletons is my favourite.

Yom
Yom

Well maybe the Azeri delegation actually cares about results rather than opinions? 2008 currently stands as their 7th best entry in the contest. And that was in a large part thanks to there not being a jury in 2008, who would have killed that song.

Reply to  Yom

What? They won in 2011? And before that, the year they made their debut or a year after they reached top 5 if I am not wrong? In Moscow 2009?

KESC
KESC

I think Ictimai Tv is afraid that messages in Azeri wouldn’t come across the audience as in English.
Let’s wait and see.. maybe they’ll offer at least some lyrics in Azeri

Polegend Godgarina

song chosen by an international jury? ugh… azerbaijani people deserve better. i feel like they’re never truly represented.

Khazar

She is really good singer. Good luck Azerbaijan!

Frisian esc
Frisian esc
Reply to  Bimbamboum

Doesn’t really mean anything. He doesn’t have the authority to do that.

Reply to  Frisian esc

No he doesn’t, but it is still very interesting that Franck Riester says he is working with France Télévisions to try to change the song. It’s amazing there is a culture minister out there who actually cares about culture, lol.

Kung Frederick 90
Kung Frederick 90

Good choice. Samira’s voice is amazing especially when she sing ethnic songs. I hope to listen Azerbaijani language for the first time and not only 2 words within a Bulgarian entry just like 2012.

Jessey
Jessey

Yass finally our quuen is arrived

Loin dici

EFENDIIIIII AIDJEBEJCPWJD28EBEIXUXNWHE2IEHB OMGGGGGG!!

trust me this is not spam, i’m too happy now

As a vocalist, I think she’s middle-of-the-pack compared to previous Azerbaijani representatives. With the right song, I definitely think she’s good enough to deliver a strong result. I’m hopeful!

Jerry Prasetya

I really hope Azerbaijan will send an ethnic song (or something with Azerbaijani in it) for her. Azerbaijan need to change their game. Btw i love Samira, she is a good singer imo