On 29 February, Daði og Gagnamagnið won the ticket to represent Iceland at Eurovision 2020. And now RÚV, Iceland’s national broacaster, has revealed the detailed results for this year’s Söngvakeppnin.
Going into the final of Söngvakeppnin 2020, Daði & Gagnamagnið was sailing with a tailwind like no other — the music video went viral, the song charted high on Spotify and there was a general fuss all over social media.
And after seeing the split results for this years final, it’s clear that the quirky group in pastel green had the support of both the Icelandic televoters and the international jury.
In the first round of the Söngvakeppnin finale, a mixture of 50% televotes and 50% jury votes decided the two songs that would advance to the superfinal. The jury consisted of ten people, including Hatari’s Klemens Hannigan, KEiiNO’s Alexandra Rotan and Edward af Sillén – a writer with both Melodifestivalen and Eurovision.
In the superfinal, the results were decided by a 100% televote. However the televotes from the first round were carried over into the second round.
Detailed results of Söngvakeppnin 2020 Final
Results of the first round’s televote
- Daði & Gagnamagnið – “Think About Things”: 36.035 televotes
- Dimma – “Almyrkvi”: 22.848 televotes
- Iva – “Oculis Videre”: 19.072 televotes
- Nína – “Echo”: 6.515 televotes
- Ísold & Helga – “Meet Me Halfway”: 5.568
Results of the first round’s jury vote
- Daði & Gagnamagnið – “Think About Things”: 24.289 jury votes
- Iva – “Oculis Videre”: 18.426 jury votes
- Ísold & Helga – “Meet Me Halfway”: 17.170 jury votes
- Nína – “Echo”: 15.286 jury votes
- Dimma – “Almyrkvi”: 14.867 jury votes
Combined televotes and jury votes
- Daði & Gagnamagnið – “Think About Things”: 60.324 votes
- Dimma – “Almyrkvi”: 37.715 votes
- Iva – “Oculis Videre”: 37.498 votes
- Ísold & Helga – “Meet Me Halfway”: 22.738 votes
- Nína – “Echo”: 21.801 votes
Daði & Gagnamagnið was the clear favourite both among the televoters and the jury but it was a little bit tighter between the two songs racing to join the band in the duel.
It’s interesting to see the difference between the televotes and jury when it comes to Dimma. Televote puts them in second place but the jury ranked them last. But overall the rockers made it to final, but only 217 votes ahead of Iva, who ended up in third place.
Results of the superfinal televote
- Daði & Gagnamagnið – “Think About Things”: 58.319 televotes
- Dimma – “Almyrkvi”: 42.468 televotes
Combined results from first round and superfinal televote
- Daði & Gagnamagnið – “Think About Things”: 94.354 televotes
- Dimma – “Almyrkvi”: 65.316 televotes
After combining the votes from the first round and the televotes from the duel, the results were clear. Daði & Gagnamagnið won an excess of almost 40,000 votes.
Overall results of Söngvakeppnin 2020 final
- Daði & Gagnamagnið – “Think About Things”: 118.643 votes
- Dimma – “Almyrkvi”: 80.183 votes
Are you happy with the results? How do you think Daði & Gagnamagnið will do in Rotterdam? Tell us in the comments below.