Brotherhood Of Man Eurovision 1976 Winners United Kingdom Save Your Kisses For Me

It’s the weekly watch-a-long that became a monthly tradition. And on Saturday #EurovisionAgain came back for its October run. This time Eurovision 1976 was the classic song contest of choice.

As always, there was a new fan vote, although the winner stayed the same — the United Kingdom’s Brotherhood Of Man with “Save Your Kisses For Me”.

Brotherhood Of Man win #EurovisionAgain 1976

Listed below are the results for #EurovisionAgain 1976. The rankings are based on the votes of all those who decided to vote for their favourites while rewatching the Eurovision 1976 grand final on Saturday 18 October.

In brackets, we’ve included the differences between the new fan vote and the original result from 44 years ago.

#EurovisionAgain 1976 results

1. United Kingdom: Brotherhood of Man “Save Your Kisses for Me” (=)
  2. France: Catherine Ferry “Un, deux, trois” (=)
  3. Finland: Fredi & The Friends “Pump-Pump” (+8)
  4. Monaco: Mary Christy “Toi, la musique et moi” (-1)
  5. Norway: Anne-Karine Strøm “Mata Hari” (+13)
  6. Israel: Chocolate, Menta, Mastik “Emor Shalom” (=)
  7. Netherlands: Sandra Reemer “The Party’s Over” (+2)
  8. Greece: Mariza Koch “Panagia mou, Panagia mou” (+5)
  9. Belgium: Pierre Rapsat “Judy et Cie” (-1)
  10. Germany: Les Humphries Singers “Sing Sang Song” (+5)
  11. Yugoslavia: Ambasadori “Ne mogu skriti svoju bol” (+6)
  12. Austria: Waterloo & Robinson “My Little World” (-7)
  13. Switzerland: Peter, Sue and Marc “Djambo, Djambo” (-9)
  14. Ireland: Red Hurley “When” (-4)
  15. Portugal: Carlos do Carmo “Uma flor de verde pinho” (-3)
  16. Italy: Al Bano & Romina Power “We’ll Live It All Again” (-9)
  17. Luxembourg: Jürgen Marcus “Chansons pour ceux qui s’aiment”(-3)
  18. Spain: Braulio “Sobran las palabras” (-2)

Watch Eurovision 1976 online

#EurovisionAgain may be over for now, but the Eurovision 1976 grand final remains online… for now. You can watch the full show on the official Eurovision YouTube channel.

However, it is only available for an unspecified “limited time”. Based on past #EurovisionAgain uploads, this will probably remain online for one week after the YouTube premiere date.

But why? Before 2004, the copyright for each show belonged to the respective broadcasters. In the case of 1985, that’s the Netherlands’ NOS. For now, the Dutch network has opted to make the show available only temporarily.

From 2004, the rules changed with the EBU taking over ownership of the rights. Hence, the uploads of contests from 2004 onwards have remained online.

#EurovisionAgain is scheduled to return on Saturday 21 November at 21:00 CEST.

What is #EurovisionAgain

Throughout the first 15 weeks of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Eurovision Again team organised mass rewatchings of classic contests on Saturday evenings. The EBU soon came on board and began publishing previously unavailable entire show uploads on its YouTube channel.

The rewatches have since switched to monthly affairs, now taking place on the third Saturday of each month.

As well as organising rewatches, the Eurovision Again team has also added a fundraising element for various LGBTQ+ charities. Details can be found here.

What do you think? Did Brotherhood Of Man deserve to win the rewatch? Let us know in the comments.

Follow all of our UK Eurovision news.

vangelis vt
vangelis vt
4 hours ago

So there are people in this poll who voted for Finland in ’76 ahead of Greece, Monaco or Yugoslavia? I mean, seriously.

Last edited 4 hours ago by vangelis vt
7 hours ago

Some thoughts: my top faves were France and Monaco – I may have recognized the singers from some Eurovision compilation videos or featured countries here on this site. I can’t decide between the two so both are my winners. Special mention to Belgium – a song that I loved. Fab performance. And Luxembourg was great too starting from the name of the song. Ireland was nice too. I was shook to see Romina and Albano. She sang so bad. How could they achieve so much success over all these years? It looks like she never learnt to properly sing. About… Read more »

James
James
6 hours ago

Mata Hari was actually a real person. It was a pseudonym of a Dutch woman who helped normalize exotic dancing in the mainstream, from what I’ve read, before she died during World War 1.

6 hours ago
Reply to  James

I wonder if they thought singing a song about a Dutch woman on Dutch soil would have helped the song do better?

5 hours ago
Reply to  James

Gotta read up. Thanks, James.

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
6 hours ago

You’re thinking of Hari Mata Hari, a band who represented Bosnia & Herzegovina in 2006.
It’s also important to point out that Mata Hari was famously accused of being a spy (as Anne-Karine sings: “Mata Hari, for the promise in your eyes, it was so tender – all the secrets sealed with their lips, they gave away for a kiss”) and executed because of this alleged crime.

Last edited 6 hours ago by Skiwalko
5 hours ago
Reply to  Skiwalko

Thanks Skiwalko. I will definitely not win in a quizz/ trivia contest on Eurovision. Had not payed attention to the lyrics of the song – wow. OMG. Why am I not surprised? Woman executed for a crime with men involved too. Were they executed too? Poor lambs. How shocking. Well, it’s not but I could not help it but saying this.

Jofty
Jofty
4 minutes ago

Hi Una, I’m glad you thought Ireland was nice. I was rather hoping it would finish higher up this time, but! I believe an underrated entry by one of our finest singers. For me, Brendan Graham’s best, certainly superior to Rock N Roll Kids and The Voice. From memory you also liked Wait Until The Weekend Comes ? Perhaps When appeared 10 years too early?!

HarpyDarper
HarpyDarper
10 hours ago

I’ve not watched it back yet, but I think it’s great they have chosen a retro contest that not everyone in the fan base may be so familiar with, I prefer that than something too recent and known (anything from the last five/six years).
I am particularly interested in this edition as I used to live in the Hague. I can’t tell if this building here is still standing now, or if it has since been refurbished. I’m familiar with where it is. Does anyone know?

stommie
stommie
10 hours ago
Reply to  HarpyDarper

It is the World Forum, back then known as the Nederlands Congresgebouw

Last edited 10 hours ago by stommie
9 hours ago
Reply to  stommie

And if you look at the picture of the theatre at the World Forum, it doesn’t look all that different from 1976! The Wiki article on the World Forum reads (to me) that the hall where the Eurovision was held was demolished but that isn’t the case at all.

stommie
stommie
6 hours ago
Reply to  JDS

The Statenhal was demolished. But the auditorium where the contest was held in 1976 and 1980 still exists and yes it looks basically the same.

6 hours ago
Reply to  stommie

What was the Statenhal used for? I think you can see it in the flyover shots from 1976, it’s the long ‘finger’ to the right of the theatre?

HarpyDarper
HarpyDarper
6 hours ago
Reply to  stommie

Ah, that was the bit that confused me. It looks very swish and modern now (refurbished in 2005), but the familiar shape remains. Kinda wish I’d visited it properly.

The plan for 2020 was that the Hague was going to help Rotterdam, like hotels. Wonder if there were plans to hold any events there?

Also, I’m from South Wales and I know that o e of the ladies from BoM is Welsh-making here the only Welsh winner so far!

Last edited 6 hours ago by HarpyDarper
5 hours ago
Reply to  HarpyDarper

Looks like there has been a hotel (Novotel) built on top if it too.

22 hours ago

I was excited when they announced the year as I’d never seen a full 70s contest before, and all the uploads of 1976 are on YouTube are of awful, awful quality. It certainly didn’t disappoint, I was so impressed by the songs on offer. Monaco was my favourite on the night, same the EA audience dropped it a position. At the contest itself, it should have finished higher than France, I think. I wonder if juries got the two confused as Monaco and France performed consecutively? Apparently this one needed very little work compared to previous older years (1985, 1988)… Read more »

Last edited 22 hours ago by JDS
UMK 2021
UMK 2021
1 day ago

Finland getting finally well deserved placing, sadly years later but still

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
1 day ago

A truly great pick for #EurovisionAgain, the ’70s were a fantastic period for Eurovision, and the 1976 contest perfectly encapsulates everything I love about that decade. Hearing all entries once again with remastered audio was one-of-a-kind experience. Anyways, my two favourites were Israel and Belgium. “Emor Shalom” is one of the catchiest (albeit obviously political) songs to have graced the Eurovision stage, and the fact that they stayed in flawless sync throughout the whole performance amazes me to this day (btw, was that the only time in Eurovision history when, in a contest hosted by a former participant, a future… Read more »

Last edited 1 day ago by Skiwalko
5 hours ago
Reply to  Skiwalko

You make me want to watch it again!! Would you mind indicating at what minute/second is the change from D major to C major or at least the lyric? Thanks.

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
5 hours ago

Oh, it happens a few times in the song, 33:32 for example. It doesn’t stand out all that much, but I like it a lot 🙂

4 hours ago
Reply to  Skiwalko

Awwww Skiwalkooo! My untrained ear *could* manage to figure it out. Lovely 🙂

2 hours ago
Reply to  Skiwalko

I suppose it would be fair to say the singer/presenter thing was repeated in 2015/2016?

Skiwalko
Skiwalko
1 hour ago
Reply to  Jonas

I suppose you’re right (though in my opinion Conchita kinda transcends the definition of a Eurovision presenter) . I think 2011/2012 counts as well.

1 day ago

This was almost ALL new to me. I was slightly familiar with the UK entry but that is it. Not much to say, but I really liked what they did with the background of the stage. My rankings: 18 Italy: I didn’t like it. 17 Austria: so repetitive. 16 Switzerland: I forgot it by the time the next entry performed. 15 Germany: some rock’n roll there, some good vocal combination, but nothings special. 14 Luxembourg; The jump at the end was nice. 13 Israel: an ok entry. 12 Greece: musically it was a very much ok entry but her pitch… Read more »

6 hours ago
Reply to  Whisker

Monaco was my 12 points on Sat, shame she dropped a position. She definitely should have finished ahead of France on the night itself. She also would have been a worthy winner. I do wonder if people got confused between France and Monaco as they performed consecutively?

1 day ago

Hope this keeps on going! So many classic contests, finally in the best possible quality. In general, just seeing these older contests with better picture and sound quality has been good enough, and occasional spottiness could be forgiven given that they had to be sourced from multiple places (like ’85 or ’88), but this was really above and beyond. Everything was absolutely crystal clear, and every instrument in the Metropole Orkest was as vivid and bright as if you were actually there. In most cases with even the higher-quality uploads of old contests on YouTube (like the seemingly infinite amount… Read more »

James
James
23 hours ago
Reply to  Joe

Stijn Smulders, who runs the ESC YouTube channel, said that the master copies of the 1976 contest was well archved the Dutch Institute of Image and Sound, which also explains that wonderful stereo sound that makes the listening experience truly rich.

One strange detail I noticed from the uploaded version though, for whatever reason, was that the audio from the green room interviews during interval was not on the stereo mix.

23 hours ago
Reply to  James

I hope that means some of the other Dutch contests are in that kind of quality. Imagine a year like 1980 with sound as good as this!

stommie
stommie
1 day ago

This is Fredi and Friends national final performance. I always wondered who decided to make the change from that, to the OTT taking the p!ss performance we saw in The Hague.
The song itself doesn’t deserve a third place, especially not in a contest where we also had Belgium, Yugoslavia and Israel.

Paul
Paul
1 day ago

Go on Fredi & The Friends !!

Peter
Peter
1 day ago

Of course the Brotherhood of Man were the rightful winners! Save your kisses for me became a worldwide hit and remains one of the biggest-selling Eurovision winners ever. To this day I can’t stop smiling when I hear this song from my youth.