Photo: EBU / Thomas Hannes

Semi-final two of Eurovision 2021 took place on Thursday 20 May, with 17 acts hoping to qualify. But in the end only ten countries could receive tickets through to Saturday’s grand final.

Eurovision 2021: Semi-Final 2 Results

Semi-Final 2 Qualifiers

The ten acts advancing to the Eurovision 2021 grand final are, in announcement order:

These acts will perform again in Saturday’s grand final along with the ten qualifiers from semi-final one and six pre-qualified finalists including the Big Five nations and host country The Netherlands.

Semi-Final 2 Non-Qualifiers

Unfortunately, we have to say goodbye to seven acts. They are:

Automatic qualifier performances

In addition to the 17 acts performing and competing in semi-final two, tonight we also saw clips from three of Saturday’s six automatic qualifiers — France, United Kingdom and Spain.

Did your favourite make it through? Who was done wrong? Is the Eurovision 2021 winner amongst tonight’s qualifiers? Let us know in the comments below.

Subscribe to the wiwibloggs YouTube channel

CookyMonzta
CookyMonzta

And then there are the reserve finalists and their full video performances posted at Eurovision.tv. Gjon is going to have to step up his game…

9.70 France
9.55 Italy
9.40 United Kingdom
9.39 Netherlands
9.38 Spain
9.31 Germany

Who designed the CGI for Barbara? That more than makes up for the vocal edge that Gjon has on her. I wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up 1-2 in a French-language battle for points right to the end. But given the bookies now, we may yet have our chance to get lost in Verona.

CookyMonzta
CookyMonzta

My take on the 2nd semifinal (again, using 10 criteria): 9.67 Switzerland 9.64 Iceland (best rehearsal session used) 9.63 Bulgaria 9.51 Serbia 9.48 Greece 9.48 San Marino 9.43 Portugal 9.42 Denmark 9.41 Austria 9.41 Finland – – – – – – – – – – – – 9.32 Estonia 9.30 Albania 9.28 Georgia 9.28 Moldova 9.25 Czech Republic 9.20 Poland 9.11 Latvia 8 out of 10 this time; 18 out of 20 overall. Given the schedule and rehearsals the participants have throughout these 2 weeks, one would guess that they would be predisposed to being at their absolute best during… Read more »

SwedCazh
SwedCazh

Switzerland was outstanding yesterday. Its hard to predict the winner this year but this guy is my personal favorite. But Malta, France, Italy and a couple of more entries are in it for the win.

Pierre
Pierre

If its allowed to be a little shallow the staging, clothing etc of Switzerland is peculiar. But perhaps its just typical central european.

COLIN POWIS
COLIN POWIS
Reply to  Pierre

He put on a lot of weight , so that baggy shirt was necessary

Tom Ripley
Tom Ripley

Albania and Switzerland the best… and so sad Benny did not Q!

Rosy B
Rosy B

Switzerland was amazing yesterday. Finally, the real good songs are getting credit. Happy for Portugal as they have been completely ignored by our fandom, and despite we got the dress rehearsal footage from Iceland, they were a blast.

noone
noone

This year we saw (or heard) a lot of shaky vocals and this semi was full of it. I was really disappointed with Senhit (SMR), Latvia and Moldova, all of them had terrible vocals, especially Natalia. I was pleasantly surprised by Greece, however; amazing voice, better than the recorded version. Every note was on point, respect. Victoria and Gjon did amazing as well, but that was expected. Serbia: wow the black haired girl can sing and carries the entire song, the other two… hmm not so much. Especially the blonde who sings third was completely off. Iceland was also really… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by noone
Mr X
Mr X

My prediction about last night´s placing:

1. Bulgaria
  2. Iceland
  3. Switzerland
  4. Finland
  5. Greece
  6. San Marino
  7. Portugal
  8. Serbia
  9. Albania
  10. Moldova (I don´t like it at all…)
  11. Austria
  12. Denmark
  13. Estonia
  14. Czechia
  15. Latvia
  16. Georgia
  17. Poland
L’oiseau
L’oiseau
Reply to  Mr X

That sounds about right to me. I am just not sure about Bulgaria. I don’t think she actually won it but even 3rd place. She was perfect but the staging very underwhelming

Reply to  Mr X

My prediction would be:

1. Switzerland (I think he won both the juries and televoting.)
  2. Iceland (Close second in televoting.)
  3. Bulgaria (Close second in the jury vote.)
  4. Finland (Top 3 in televoting.)
  5. Greece
  6. San Marino
  7. Portugal
  8. Serbia
  9. Albania
  10. Moldova (Qualified only due to televoters.)
  11. Austria (Would be juries qualifier instead.)
  12. Denmark
  13. Czechia (I love this song, but unfortunately it just wasn’t his day in live.)
  14. Latvia
  15. Poland (But last in the jury vote.)
  16. Estonia
  17. Georgia
Last edited 4 months ago by Colin
COLIN POWIS
COLIN POWIS
Reply to  Colin

I bet Gjon easily won both … both Bulgaria and Iceland underperformed

Victor
Victor

Looking forward to seeing the split results for both semis, have a strange feeling that Croatia and Denmark got screwed by the juries…

L’oiseau
L’oiseau

First of all I am super happy for Portugal! What a rise!!! They are now in top 10 in the odds! Who would have thought! Happy that Albania passed and Moldava, which is my guilty pleasure this year. Also sad for Denmark, but I do understand that the historic reference is too specific for Nordic countries and senior Eurovision fans 🙂 Greece and Albania should not have qualified IMO. Both songs are not good and have to resort to all sort of tricks to be remarked. Also, Stefania is not not a good vocalist, sorry. Her performance was lukewarm to… Read more »

Eurofan
Eurofan
Reply to  L’oiseau

I respect your opinion, but Stefania gave a great performance. Yes, her dancing was slightly wooden, but the vocals and song were excellent. She also looked stunning. All in all, a great package. Austria has a great vocalist…..no doubt about that…but the song was incredibly repetitive. The same phrase over and over again.

L’oiseau
L’oiseau
Reply to  Eurofan

I am sorry to disagree, but for me Stefania is not mature enough for this stage and song. For me she was one of the worst vocalist and performer in this year edition. As for her looks, well I leave that aside as I think that performers should not be judged based on looks.

Last edited 4 months ago by L’oiseau
Senh
Senh

Very happy about the outcome and especially for Portugal. I was in the audience and I can confirm that probably the biggest audience response was for ICELAND even if they were only shown the screen.

George
George

Happy that serbia and Greece got through and I’m also happy for Portugal they definitely improved at lot. I’m sad Czech Republic didn’t make it through but his vocals weren’t great I’m also sad for Denmark it was in such a good spot and I loved the 80’s feel to the song they also really improved too

kas
kas

This was amazing to hear…Finland-Denmark-Finland-Denmark from the crowd.
So sad about Denmark (could take Moldova’s place) but from the other hand Finland was a well-deserved qualifier.
In general fair results.

Last edited 4 months ago by kas
Mia
Mia

My favorites Serbia, Greece and Finland! Not my cup of tea, but Portugal was very good too. I’m happy with the results, but surprised for Moldova, I would switch for Austria, he was great. I understand 80’s are trendy now, but just as an inspiration (Greece, Lithuania, Iceland..), not as total copy/paste lol (Denmark, Poland).

Last edited 4 months ago by Mia
Badwoolfgirl
Badwoolfgirl

Semi final 2 is over and the grand final is two days away! Here are my thoughts on the qualifiers and non-qualifiers: The Qualifiers: Albania: Fans really slept on this entry when it won FiK way back in December. I was also concerned that it might not make it considering where it was placed. Well, thanks to a great staging, it is through! Serbia: Every four years since 2009, Serbia fails to qualify, but Hurricane broke the curse! Did you really think this wasn’t going through? It’s exactly the kind of song we need in the final and I am… Read more »

COLIN POWIS
COLIN POWIS
Reply to  Badwoolfgirl

Bulgaria will be lucky to be even in the top ten … poor

Badwoolfgirl
Badwoolfgirl
Reply to  COLIN POWIS

We’ll find out Saturday–I’m keeping my mind open. Anything can happen.

Escfan
Escfan
Reply to  Badwoolfgirl

I don’t think esc fans wrongfully slept on Albania because I think personally that this entry has improved significantly since the nf. I think it just shows that staging and styling can impact a song a lot.
In the nf, I didn’t like it at all.
The revamp, I preferred but some of the visuals were a bit meh, like going around the table.
I was shocked with the staging, I wasn’t expecting it to be that good and it deserved to qualify

Sot

Oh, and another thing, the most heartbreaking moment of the night was before Finland was announced as the last qualifier and the camera showed Fyr&Flamme hugging each other knowing that they’re already out…

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Sot

If you were not Ukraine and Finland on Tuesday and Thursday respectively you knew you were out after qualifier # 9 had been called. Sad.

9/10 predictions before the announcement, I put Benny instead of Anxhela :'(

Kosey
Kosey

The SF2 results were more disappointing results for me than SF1. I am sad to see Georgia, Denmark, Poland, Austria and Estonia go but then of the ones that made it through, I think only Albania and Moldova I would say were questionable. So for me it turned out to be a strong semi. I thought Switzerland and Bulgaria were amazing, I am not sure why fans are so down on them, they deserve to be placed high in the final.

Thisisntourlastdance
Thisisntourlastdance

I didnt think Greece looked as bad as fans say?
But then I dont know if I can be objective.
Glad Stefania made it anyway, no matter the staging, she is very sweet and talented

Last edited 4 months ago by Thisisntourlastdance
kas
kas

Unfortunately she remained in tense and she looked so frightened due to difficult and risky staging. It was easy to see the fear in her eyes. She is talented but so unexperienced as live performer and Fokas and the rest ‘experts’ didn’t teach her….but on the contrary they just made her life much more difficult. The vocals were good in general…but before the stairs she faced trembling problems. She is just 18, fresh and promising…and the production decide her first concern to be not to fall down from the stairs. So pitty. With this face expression and these movements…do not… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by kas
Ende
Ende

Where was the amazing performance ? where the innovation ? She used a green wall… we are in 2021… that’s not something revolutionary…
I am so disappointed…. I really believed people who said that her performance would be stunning. I had her in my top 3. Past tense.

Last edited 4 months ago by Ende
Reply to  Ende

No one said it would be revolutionary as you say, the producer said that it hadn’t been done ever before in Eurovision, that’s all

Tadhg
Tadhg
Reply to  Ende

I wasn’t impressed either, after all the hype it ended up looking more like a really cheap music video.
With a few exceptions overall I didn’t think much of the stage with many performers getting lost in the mess behind and beneath them, what was the obsession with blue and pink this year?

Escfan
Escfan
Reply to  Ende

I mean it was cool and different.

Milan
Milan

She looked rather stiff all the time, that was the problem.

kas
kas
Reply to  Milan

yes, the main one.

Josh
Josh

This was a good set of qualifiers. My only change would’ve been Austria for Moldova…her staging should’ve recreated the music video. The final is going to be fierce!

Charli Cheer Up
Charli Cheer Up
Reply to  Josh

I am sad for Austria since Vincent sang his heart out but not surprised it didn’t qualify. The song was too safe and the performance went nowhere just like Paeda’s Limits. He should’ve followed up from Alive and sent another uptempo song.

Shan
Shan

I do like the song from Moldova, but was the long note really necessary? To me it felt like it was added there just to break a record.

I got 9/10 correct in predictions.
I thought Austria would’ve gotten in ahead of Moldova.

Ryan
Ryan

It was tougher than the first semi final, every live performances are fantastic, and I’m convinced about Uku’s performance. I just can’t imagine a grand final without Ove os pa hinanden ?? ? their live performances is superb. Voters should basing their votes on live performance rather than the music videos.

Julian
Julian

Not sure about Moldova,her voice was really weird…but I´m really glad to see Finland in the final and bravo to Portugal what a classy and amazing performance. Seems like these last two are dark horses this year.

Reply to  Julian

EUROPEEE

Jamie
Jamie
Reply to  Sot

Definitely Kirkorov encouraged her to say that. Creep.

Fabrizio
Fabrizio
Reply to  Sot

cringiest moment of the night ngl

Carldo
Carldo

Moldova qualifying after that performance was questionable…….

Jofty
Jofty
Reply to  Carldo

At the very least…..

Dalth
Dalth

I thought Finland were good tonight and I still think Switzerland has one of the best songs in the contest but not sure about the stageing. Both Malta and Switzerland have been screwed over by that overhyped stageing guru.
The surprise for me tonight was Georgia and Denmark I would of put both through which I never saw coming. Moldova was also a surprise like the song but the stageing and performance were not great.

Steven
Steven

Serbia’s Hurricane really did not disappoint. To dance like that and to sing that way while CONSTANTLY moving takes months of hard and dedicated work. Just outstanding.

BBR1
BBR1

came here to see people get all hormonal about who they thought was bad. wasn’t disappointed. i am never disappointed.

Nadja
Nadja

My heart almost stopped when there was only one spot left and the crowd was shouting “Finland!”, absolute moment! Congrats to all qualifiers!

Reply to  Nadja

I FEEL YOUUUUUUU

Reply to  Nadja

It reminded me of the crown shouting “Iceland, Iceland!” in 2010!

Reply to  Sot

“Crown”? I guess Samanta’s spirit already haunts me

FFF
FFF

Once again I got 9/10 qualifiers correct! And no, I didn’t bet any money so it’s just for fun!

Laburnum
Laburnum

I’m so happy with the qualifiers especially Portugal!!

hhhhurricane
hhhhurricane

I am actually kinda happy with these qualifiers! Iceland was never one of my faves but they blew me away tonight! And honest to God, Poland had no right to seem like such a good package in the end lol.

Anyways I’m so happy for my Balkan queens all qualifying (even tho Greece seemed… off). Georgia was set upppp going after Serbia, and I’ve never seen a performance derail as hard as Moldova it was hillarious xD. A bit sad for Denmark tho

Darren

Atleast Ireland isn’t the only western NQ this year,
How you doin Denmark and Austria? <3

Slabsson79
Reply to  Darren

Prague or Pilsen, where Benny comes from ließ westwards of Vienna…make it 3 Western NQs?

Sjodni
Sjodni

Overall, I was impressed tonight with the ten that went through! Finland was my biggest surprise, I never liked the song but you can’t deny the performance was perhaps the best of the night! Austria did an incredible job, and I honestly don’t know what he could have done better to qualify, it was so beautiful! Benny’s vocals were kinda weak, I was so surprised because I know that he can sing! He was holding back perhaps? Estonia also did wonderful tonight, even if I don’t love the song. So proud also of Albania and Serbia, great job guys!

Lisa
Lisa
Reply to  Sjodni

I was in the audience last night and the crowd went wild on Finland, so I agree on best performance for them.

Teddy

Portugal really deserved to go through but I’ll be mad if they start sending English songs every year because of it

Darren
Reply to  Teddy

Totally agree!
Great show from them tonight but I do hope they don’t become just like everyone else.
Portugal is one of the few countries that usually come in their native language, so I hope this doesn’t set some kind of precedent

Raquel
Raquel
Reply to  Teddy

I’m from Portugal, don’t worry almost all of our songs in the national selection are in portuguese so I don’t really think we are going to start singing only in english, this was just the most voted this year 😀

Teddy

Well Moldova was something… She sounded much better live last year – Trust Kirkorov to give an artist a song that doesn’t fit their voice

Reply to  Teddy

She would be ok WITHOUT him…

Berta
Berta

“aww..my baby” said Kateryna Pavlenko when camera showed Gjons cute face on screen
she posted it on Insta with 3 hearts emojis, how adorable

Reply to  Berta

Love it!!!!!

Stephanie
Reply to  Berta

Reaction on Twitter from SuRie (UK 2018):

Reply to  Stephanie

Lollll

Romania Eurovision 2021
Romania Eurovision 2021

I’m so happy for the countries that are in the final, I can’t wait saturday night!!!

just an esc fan
just an esc fan

Time for a recap of 2nd semi! Starting by the fact that pre-recorded backing vocals saved many perofrmers tonight which would have sounded maybe even dreadful! Some obvious examples are Moldova and Poland. San Marino turned out to be a great opener. Flo Rida really elevates the performance. My country actually managed to dissapoint again (Greece). The shadows were all over the place and visually it didn’t impress me as much as Greek delegation and media promised us. I’m very sorry but I still can’t see why Bulgaria and Iceland are still considered as favorites. They didn’t impress me once… Read more »

Robert
Robert

First time that I agree with 100% of someone’s analysis. Word for word.

Teddy

Poland was such a cringe fest. The backing vocals could not salvage that

Badwoolfgirl
Badwoolfgirl
Reply to  Teddy

“The Ride” was a car crash. It was embarrassing to watch.

kas
kas

the last problem was…the shadows. Not even noticed. The problem was in the performance and mainly in the visual part.

Jake
Jake

I feel like Denmark could have gotten around 7th in the televote, but the juries murdered them, so sad. Sad thing is it would have qualified in English. 🙁 Juries need to stop killing risky entries, it promotes generic songs.

Reply to  Jake

Denmark was AWFUL. I’m sorry but the lead singer spent 20 seconds running around in circles in the middle of the song LOL. Albania, Ukraine, Russia and Switzerland all qualified with songs in national languages. The fact that a Folktronica song is 4th favourite to win kind of disproves you

Reply to  Teddy

What was awful about Danmark?

Last edited 4 months ago by Eve
pms
pms
Reply to  Eve

Pretty much everything. In the 80s this was mainstream. You had some of it in the Esc and it never did well because it wasn’t good enough. No need to get trash back from the past…

Reply to  Eve

Granted, he sounded good live, but the awful vest and even worse blazer. The basic melody, the completely random bursts of frantic dancing and running. This could have been in English, hell, it could have been in Japanese and it still would have been bad

Last edited 4 months ago by Teddy
Reply to  Jake

Still hurts….

pms
pms
Reply to  Jake

What’s risky in recycling 80s trash? Sure the Danish entry is fun, but there’s no originality or any quality to it. As the above poster said, what’s new in running in circles for 20 secs in the middle of a 3 minute performance?

Last edited 4 months ago by pms
SwedCazh
SwedCazh
Reply to  Jake

Denmark wouldnt have qualified in english, I dont like to be harsh but denmark can do better then this. It felt like a song the karaoke-host would sing at the local danish pub and only there, not suited for eurovision. As a swede, I think that denmark and sweden are the weakest scandinavian entries this year.

Dawid
Dawid

comment image

Reply to  Dawid

I’ll upvote just for the sake of the memes but I think the 2nd semi was more stressful than the 1st

pms
pms

Is it just me or that wind in the face of anxhela and dadi is really annoying?

Robert
Robert
Reply to  pms

It is just you

Kal
Kal
Reply to  pms

In Dadi’s case, it’s done on purpose. They’re playing with the wind-machine cliche..

Eurovision2016>
Eurovision2016>

sugar is great.

Eve

Ehm…Are you are Kirkorov fan?))

Last edited 4 months ago by Eve
Eduardo
Eduardo

Am I the only one who doesn’t get the hype for Bulgaria?

Last edited 4 months ago by Eduardo
Zuzu
Zuzu

Switzerland had AMAZING staging and direction it really was 10/10.
Also Senhit had to be stood up by the dancers while singing and not missing a note – that was, idk I loved it! Also, yay for Albania and Portugal qualifying <3

Roy Moreno
Roy Moreno

I actually managed to predict the 10 qualifiers of this semi! In contrast to the 1st semi, there I predicted all except for Belgium xD
It’s gonna be a strong final! Good luck to everyone!

Nicolas
Nicolas

Note that from all the singers only Gjon’s Tear can overpower the pre-recorded vocals that can even be noticed. Malta has too much loud pre-recorded vocals in comparison.

Robert
Robert
Reply to  Nicolas

Samanta Tina is laughing.

Reply to  Robert

Yes, both Gjon and Samanta were very powerful, vocally.

Marion

Why so mean?

Robert
Robert

If only croatia was in this SF

Reply to  Robert

Indeed!

Ant
Ant
Reply to  Robert

Croatia, Australia, Ireland would’ve all qualified easily

Robert
Robert
Reply to  Ant

Even Slovenia and N. Macedonia would have had a shot in this SF

WestMids
Reply to  Ant

Croatia maybe. Australia’s horror.entry wouldn’t. And that frantic but boring staging made the poor Irish woman look a bit mad.

Reply to  Robert

She still would have gone out lol. Tick Tock is such a bland and dated pop song. It wouldn’t have stood a chance in either semi final

Giolo
Giolo
Reply to  Teddy

If that wannabe singer qualified with a terribile song, so would have done Albina. I don’t like Tick Tock, but at least it’s a catchy song and the performance was very professional and slick, unlike one specific song which qualified from this Semi Final

Reply to  Giolo

I still think Moldova would have gone through (Kirkorov) and everybody would be screaming the odds and dissing Natalia which she doesn’t deserve. I’m sick of all the comments sections flooded with people going wild over that uninspired song.

Ant
Ant

I’m sorry to say this but it just wasn’t a great semi. We have always known that SF1 is the strong one but SF2 turned out even more lackluster than I expected :/

However, there were some gems that I discovered today: Portugal and Bulgaria. Never was a big fan of these two before tonight, but they were perfectly beautiful

Last edited 4 months ago by Ant
ROXELANA
ROXELANA
Reply to  Ant

So true. Unfortunately most of the performances were quite underwhelming and disappointing.

ESC Stan
ESC Stan
Reply to  Ant

I cant say that redrawing the semis would have made sure better songs went through (we wouldn’t know until the random draw) but at least it would have shaken up the mix of songs more.

ESC Stan
ESC Stan
Reply to  ESC Stan

*wouldn’t

Azaad
Azaad
Reply to  ESC Stan

The 2020 draw ended up with something really good for everyone: Armenia and Azerbaijan being in different semis. Before Armenia had to withdraw, I think the producers didn’t want to risk another draw that put both of them in the same semi again.

Emma
Emma
Reply to  Ant

Personally I preferred Semi Final 2. Didn’t care much for the acts in semi final 1. 2 just seemed far more interesting to me with the diversity of songs and for me personally it was just more interesting to watch. Only acts I cared for in semi 1 were Lithuania and Ireland. I don’t know semi 2 was more exciting for me. I knows this is also personal and subjective but yeah I don’t think it can be called lackluster – maybe the first half but not in general.

Tadhg
Tadhg
Reply to  Emma

For all the talk about S1 being the “semi of death” (I only liked Belgium), I found last night far more interesting too, there was far more variety in genres and songs like Bulgaria that weren’t on my radar (even though I had heard it several times) which grabbed my attention.
What was all the hype about Latvia on this site??? Absolute **** on every level.