During the first four installments of our weekly poll, “Who is your favourite Eurovision contestant so far?”, it was all about the ladies. Italy’s Emma Marrone took the title during weeks one, two and three. Then Spain’s Ruth Lorenzo shoved Emma aside during week four. This week another woman has risen to the top—but she’s got a strong man standing beside her. We’re proud to announce that Romania’s Paula Seling & Ovi have come out on top.

Between March 4 and March 9 our readers cast a total of 5,096 votes for their favourite Eurovision acts that had been chosen by March 4. Paula & Ovi—former Eurovision contestants known for their double-sided piano—finished with 1,113 votes, or around 22% of all votes cast. Apparently y’all are impressed with the 18-second high note that Paula holds during “Mircale”. We know we are.

The UK’s Molly Smitten-Downes finished second with 20% of all votes. For much of the week she led the poll with her song “Children of the Universe”, but fell at the last hurdle. Based on our discussion post, our readers definitely think she is bringing the best British entry in ages. Molly is classic Brit pop, replete with all the grit and edge and quirkiness that you desire.

That might explain why emotions are running high in the aftermath of Paula & Ovi’s come-from-behind victory. When this poll closed some of you contacted us on Twitter to suggest foul play. As one of you wrote: “They dragged behind all week, then gained over 300 [votes] in like 6 hours! We both know it’s rigged :)”

No. We can assure you there were no #melfestrobots used in this poll.

Ireland’s Can-Linn featuring the beautiful Kasey came third, followed by Spain’s Ruth Lorenzo and Hungary’s András Kállay-Saunders.

You can see the complete results for Week 5 below. We’ll launch the poll for Week 6 on Tuesday evening. It will run from March 11 until March 16, and will include new contestants from Denmark, Israel, Sweden, and Greece.

You can listen to all of this year’s Eurovision songs on our contestants page

Eurovision Favourites So Far (March 11)

1. Romania: Paula Seling & Ovi with “Miracle”: 1,113 votes, 21.84%
2. United Kingdom: Molly Smitten-Downes with “Children of the Universe”: 1,036 votes, 20.33%
3. Ireland: Can-Linn feat. Kasey with “Heartbeat”: 556 votes, 10.91%
15. Malta: Firelight with “Coming Home”: 91 votes, 1.79%
16. Ukraine: Maria Yaremchuk with “Tick-Tock”: 76 votes, 1.49%
17. Belarus: Teo with “Cheesecake”: 41 votes, 0.8%
18. Latvia: Aarzemnieki with “Cake to Bake”: 32 votes, 0.63%
19. Iceland: Pollapönk with “Enga fordóma”: 20 votes, 0.39%

Previous Favourites

Your favourites on March 2 (12 artists)

1. Spain: Ruth Lorenzo with “Dancing in the Rain” 794 votes, 31.28%
2. Hungary: András Kállay-Saunders with “Running” 586 votes, 23.09%
3. Italy: Emma Marrone with “La Mia Citta” 310 votes, 12.21%

Your favourites on February 21 (8 artists)

1. Italy: Emma Marrone with “La Mia Citta”
2. Albania: Hersiana Matmuja with “Zemërimi i një nate”
3. Finland: Softengine with “Something Better”

Your favourites on February 16 (7 artists)

1. Italy: Emma Marrone with “La Mia Citta”
2. Malta: Firelight with “Coming Home”
3. Finland: Softengine with “Something Better”

Your favourites on February 7 (5 artists)

1. Italy: Emma Marrone with “La Mia Citta”
2. Albania: Hersiana Matmuja with “Zemërimi i një nate”
3. Switzerland: Sebalter with “Hunter of Stars”

Who are your Eurovision favourites? Comment below!

You can keep up-to-date on the latest Eurovision news and gossip by following the team on Twitter @wiwibloggs and by liking our Facebook page.

Pastora Soler haha
Pastora Soler haha
7 years ago

I prefer UK… I don’t see nothing special in Romania’s song, there are similar and better songs in a disco 2pm. Sorry. Last night in Spain Ruth Lorenzo was the guest in “Tu cara me suena” (your face sounds familiar). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jtfh7JBPJPU She imitated Whitney Houston. It was very interesting and morbid night for the viewers. In the jury was Mónica Naranjo who was very “hot” this week. She was the judge who prefer in the national final Brequette and after the national final she said in several interviews “in eurovision is all cheat” and “Ruth’s song is very bad for… Read more »

Heyy
Heyy

Ok results imo…

Romania certainly overrated, and so is Hungary… theyre ok, just not amazing…

Im shocked to see Malta and Ukraine so hated! Theyre actually really good, and I expect them both to qualify come May.

Larisa
7 years ago

Romaniaaa!….I like…..Ea trebuie sa castige Eurovizion 2014!….:)

Pastora Soler haha
Pastora Soler haha

I ddon’t like the song of Romania… very disco at 3pm… nothing special

go UK!

Dodo
Dodo
7 years ago

Yes, we’re finished, although it’s clear that “we don’t beat from the same heart”!
I hope he’ll keep us updated with the results of his poll LOL

Thiefo
Thiefo

Are you guys finished? Good (:
My favourite is still Albania’s, despite being one of the very first songs selected this year and even with all the others that came after it, I’m still in love with it! I’m now just patiently waiting for the final version to be relased later this month, I hope they don’t mess it with it too much because I’m completely in love with the original version!

7 years ago

Hi Dodo well I can’t agree with you more on your last comment. ALL countries should be in the Semi finals.

Dodo
Dodo
7 years ago

EugeneUK why do you create your own poll if your believe that the results are unreliable? I know that your frustation and “insular”, 19th century Commonwealth thinking keep torturing you and you struggle to show something that cannot be proved. And YES, let’s leave it to the European Jury and public. Let’s see who goes into the final and who doesn’t. WAIT! I forgot that some countries go directly into the final just because they PAY big money to be there. And no matter what crap they send the european public will have its hands tied and won’t be able… Read more »

7 years ago

Hi Dodo I wonder why? Romania were 8th this morning, they are now massively in front. I’m not sure what that proves?

I was giving my view on why Romania may not win and that WAS my honest opinion.

Anyway, let’s just leave it to the Juries and the European public.

Nice discussion though.

Dodo
Dodo
7 years ago

EugeneUK your (DIS)honest critique of the two songs shows a biased opinion towards YOUR country. You portray Molly’s song as the best, most original, powerfull and contemporary song while you try to discredit Miracle by portraying only the downsides of it. Coming from a British person I would have liked to see more of a “fair play” critique of both songs with the goods and bads of each song. Therefore, your (DIS)honest critique shows only the bads of Miracle and only the goods of Molly’s song. There are as many good parts in Miracle as there are bad things in… Read more »

7 years ago

Hi Dodo, not at all, just giving my honest critique of the song. I did not say “that a song’s lyrics should make a political speech”, I merely implied that a song should have a meaning. I also said “I 100% believe that this year’s winner WILL be original and contemporary with a focus on lyrics.” With the emphasis on THIS YEAR. It’s just my view. For some reason this year there are some songs with excellent lyrics and some with very poor lyrics, you can decide yourself. There has been a lot of focus on lyrics. It’s a song… Read more »

7 years ago

Romania will make a great show and that’s a big advantage because will get many votes, they have great, strong voices, this year we will be in the top 10 for sure, but I would’nt mind if we will win :D. And for the people that compare it with Cascada’s song – I agree, the songs are in the same genre but Cascada was not great live at all and the show was……….. (what the heck were doing those stairs there???). And I think everyone voted for their country, not only romanians :)) and leaving aside this poll if Romania’s… Read more »

Dodo
Dodo
7 years ago

It’s so funny to read Eugene UK’s NOT SO UNBIASED opinion about the two songs. Of course, his intention is to discredit Romania’s song and if his words were true the reality of the previous years would have been different. The unbiased Eugene says that “it’s not only about the tune” and that the lyrics are very important. Maybe only in theory because many previous winning songs show the contrary: euphoria 2012-I don’t see any deep meaning in the lyrics, Lena with Satellite or Azerbaidjan’s song in 2011, or Paparizou’s Number One. They all had simple lyrics and catchy tunes,… Read more »

7 years ago

I can appreciate and see why Romania could be a possible winner, yes, and Romania COULD win, yes, but my gut feeling says you probably will not and here’s why? 1) THE MUSIC – To me a song is about originality and that gives it true worth in the current music business. It’s very easy to copy other previous ideas and stick them all together, but what is the skill in that? Why should the ESC be any different? “Miracle” is basically a “rip-off” of “ I got a feeling” by Black Eyed Peas, “Glorious” and any other Cascada track,… Read more »

Zay Atilla
Zay Atilla

ROMANIA TO WIN !

Julio Esteban
Julio Esteban
7 years ago

Romania will be awesome (maybe winners) this year!

Francisca
Francisca

Paula & Ovi winners !

Daniel
Daniel

BUCHAREST 2015

Sasha Dan
Sasha Dan
7 years ago

YEEEY!!!! ROMANIA 2015!!! JOIN US!!!!

dixon
dixon
7 years ago

Whatever you say, there are many people who voted for Romania though. Maybe we don’t like it, but there are many others who voted for this song.

Dan
Dan
7 years ago

Romania won this week’s poll so move on people! If you want UK win next week’s poll just call your mum, sister, brother and friends and ask them vote for the song. For those who were born yesterday and still don’t know how these things work, here’s one thing: everybody votes for his/her own country, dooooh! Anyway, this is just a public poll so it may not mean anything to the result in May. As for the songs in top I don’t see any difference in quality between the UK song and Romania song. However, I am not an expert… Read more »

This is the current Top 10 in my Poll :-

10 )….Finland – Softengine…………………………..3.28%

Here’s the link :-

Many thanks for voting

Manuphil
Manuphil
7 years ago

…I just checked, Romania never wins the Eurovision…I really hope they’re gonna win this year, it would be great!!!…But this year there’re also UK, wich is great.

May the best win!!!

Seke
Seke

First of all, Romania???? WTF??? The song is a big crap :/
MY TOP 5:
1. Montenegro
2. Hungary
3. Israel
4. Italy
5. Sweden

Xaris
Xaris
7 years ago

Romanian song is very cheap. It won’t get the victory for sure. This year till now belongs to the United Kingdom and france!

Vladimir
Vladimir

My favs:

1. Hungary
2. Poland
3. Ireland
4. United Kingdom
5. Romania.

I’m a bit disappointed by the Swedish outcome, I would have preferred Alcazar.

Armond
Armond

1. Spain
2. Romania
3. Ireland
4. Israel
5. Sweden
for now.

7 years ago

The new flavors of the week get ranked high and people forget their favorites from weeks ago. Nothing too unexpected here.

sopon
sopon
7 years ago

1.Albania – I am still in love with this song. 2.Poland – The right kind of “folk meets modern”. 3.Sweden – I love Ace, but this is a great ballad that I can stand behind if Hersi doesn’t qualify. 4.Ireland – See Poland. 5.Macedonia – This P!nk lookalike has a catchy song. It works better in English for me. 6.France – Funny and infectious. 7.Estonia – The chorus rocks, but the verses are a bit weak. 8.UK – Best UK decision since 2009. A young and appealing rising star who can bring a fresh vibe to a country’s stale reputation.… Read more »

Dodo
Dodo
7 years ago

Good luck Romania! Definitelly top 3 and a possible winner this year!

Lee
Lee
7 years ago

1. Sweden – Is my winner!
2. Hungary

Victoria
Victoria
7 years ago

This song is saved by Paula’s high note and the hologram. 🙂

DAQ
DAQ

Watch the English Version of Catarina’s “Mea Culpa” (Portuguese Entrie):

7 years ago

I’m Romanian and I definitely agree that Miracle isn’t the best song this year.
But why are you comparing it with Playing with fire? Yes, Playing with fire is better than Miracle, but that was 2010 and now it’s 2014. You should compare it to other songs THIS year. It’s not like Playing with fire has any importance in this year’s contest.

Joseph
Joseph

IRELAND TO WIN!!!

However, I’m very disappointed in the lack of attention in this article on the Irish entry the article should surely focus on 1st, 2nd & 3rd place evenly! I hope this blog is not being biased!

Oti
Oti
7 years ago

Why Albania is so underrated??? ughh

Easpag
Easpag
7 years ago

Don’t forget to include Montenegro tomorrow.

1.Poland
22.Belarus
23.Latvia
24.Iceland

Grifit
Grifit
7 years ago

@Dar you can vote for more than one song

QwaarJet
QwaarJet
7 years ago

Oh great, the Romanians are back on this site spamming the polls.

Dar
Dar
7 years ago

Miracle is sickly and vulgar ..
There should be a poll were we place all songs instead of just voting for one song. Similar to how eurovision juries now vote . It would produce better outcomes

7 years ago

@Willy ha ha cray cray………….unfortunately public polls are unreliable indicators because many are abused. Helena was top of your Melfest poll, she came 4th. It’s a real shame as you get a very good poll size. There’s passion and there’s manipulation……..and that’s goes for ANY country. But polls are good fun anyway, please keep running them.

Kerry
Kerry

HUNGARY FOR THE WIN!
2. France
3. Ireland
4. Finland
5. THE REST ARE CRAP

7 years ago

Thanks Willy………….how is it possible to have 300 votes in one day? The Melodifestivalen vote went a bit weird as well, all of a sudden Anton was second? In the actual event he came last of course?

1. Hungary
2. UK
3. Ireland
4. Sweden
5. Finland
6. Italy
7. Switzerland
8. Spain
9. France
10. Belarus

Edwin
Edwin
7 years ago

Romania?! That’s a shock. The song is nowhere near as good as Playing with Fire was.

Jutka